Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: "Your" Ultimate Philippine Basketball League

  1. #1
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default "Your" Ultimate Philippine Basketball League

    This is my ultimate basketball league if given a chance to found one:

    Format:

    a. Home-and-away
    b. 4 round regular season. Total number of games for each teams will depend on the number of teams in the league (e.g. 8 teams = 28 regular season games for one team; 10 teams = 36 regular season games).
    c. Back-to-back games for the same teams that played the last game (i.e. Manila vs. Cebu match will be played in saturday and sunday).
    d. 7-7-7 playoff format (if only 8 teams - 7-7 format).

    Players:

    a. 4 heritage players (Fil-Fors ineligible to play for Gilas as locals)
    b. 1 World import of unlimited height
    c. 1 Naturalized player/resident foreigner of unlimited height
    d. 1 Asia-Pacific import of unlimited height
    e. No annual drafts, just sign players the team preferred subject to the salary cap.
    f. There will be a transfer window in the middle of the season which is a period to allow teams to release or sign players from another team or another league or from the free agency. The players are also allowed to transfer provided that the team where such a player will tranfer shall bear the remainder of the previous contract of player and the team where such player originated.

    Notes:

    1. If a team hires an Asia-Pac import and a Naturalized/Resident foreigner, it will only be allowed to field 2 heritage players.
    2. No restrictions as to the playing time of Asia-Pac, Naturalized/RF, World imports and Heritage players.

    Teams:

    a. City/Province/Region-based backed by big company sponsors and basketball clubs/communities.
    b. In case of expansion, the league will look on the viability of the prospective team's chosen place taking into consideration the population size, economy as well as the interest of the people with the sport.
    c. An expansion team can no longer pick a place that has already an existing team.
    d. If the league rules that the place is not viable to have a team, the league shall encourage such expansion team represent "bigger" place (e.g. instead of Caloocan, the team is encourage to represent the whole CAMANAVA area).
    e. If a team decides to withdraw, he should sell the team and the buying-successor team shall carry over the seller-predecessor team's record, history and achievements.

    Marketing:

    a. Teams have full discretion on how they will market their teams.
    b. However, the league will oversee the finances of teams.
    c. Further, teams are required to have livestream their games in Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

    Execution:

    Inaugural season and 2nd season:

    - 8 teams, preferably places with close geographical proximity (e.g. Manila, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga and CAMANAVA).
    - Heritage players, Naturalized players/Resident foreigners are allowed
    - Strengthen teams' presence within their respective areas.

    3rd season:

    - Should the first two seasons becomes successful, expansion can now be explored.
    - World imports allowed

    5th season:

    - Further expansion, if feasible
    - Asian imports allowed

    I'll call this league Philippine Basketball Super League. Hahaha

    Share your idea of your "ultimate" league here.
    Last edited by ja.he; 10-14-2021 at 02:52 AM.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  2. #2
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,346
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    This is my ultimate basketball league if given a chance to found one:

    Format:

    a. Home-and-away
    b. 4 round regular season. Total number of games for each teams will depend on the number of teams in the league (e.g. 8 teams = 28 regular season games for one team; 10 teams = 36 regular season games).
    c. Back-to-back games for the same teams that played the last game (i.e. Manila vs. Cebu match will be played in saturday and sunday).
    d. 7-7-7 playoff format (if only 8 teams - 7-7 format).

    Players:

    a. 4 heritage players (Fil-Fors ineligible to play for Gilas as locals)
    b. 1 World import of unlimited height
    c. 1 Naturalized player/resident foreigner of unlimited height
    d. 1 Asia-Pacific import of unlimited height

    Notes:

    1. If a team hires an Asia-Pac import and a Naturalized/Resident foreigner, it will only be allowed to field 2 heritage players.
    2. No restrictions as to the playing time of Asia-Pac, Naturalized/RF, World imports and Heritage players.

    Teams:

    a. City/Province/Region-based backed by big company sponsors and basketball clubs/communities.
    b. In case of expansion, the league will look on the viability of the prospective team's chosen place taking into consideration the population size, economy as well as the interest of the people with the sport.
    c. An expansion team can no longer pick a place that has already an existing team.
    d. If the league rules that the place is not viable to have a team, the league shall encourage such expansion team represent "bigger" place (e.g. instead of Caloocan, the team is encourage to represent the whole CAMANAVA area).
    e. If a team decides to withdraw, he should sell the team and the buying-successor team shall carry over the seller-predecessor team's record, history and achievements.

    Marketing:

    a. Teams have full discretion on how they will market their teams.
    b. However, the league will oversee the finances of teams.
    c. Further, teams are required to have livestream their games in Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

    Execution:

    Inaugural season and 2nd season:

    - 8 teams, preferably places with close geographical proximity (e.g. Manila, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga and CAMANAVA).
    - Heritage players, Naturalized players/Resident foreigners are allowed
    - Strengthen teams' presence within their respective areas.

    3rd season:

    - Should the first two seasons becomes successful, expansion can now be explored.
    - World imports allowed

    5th season:

    - Further expansion, if feasible
    - Asian imports allowed

    I'll call this league Philippine Basketball Super League. Hahaha

    Share your idea of your "ultimate" league here.
    An addition might be promotion and relegation, so that if there are farm teams and they play so poor without starters, they get relegated and consequently, less money and exposure.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    This is my ultimate basketball league if given a chance to found one:

    Format:

    a. Home-and-away
    b. 4 round regular season. Total number of games for each teams will depend on the number of teams in the league (e.g. 8 teams = 28 regular season games for one team; 10 teams = 36 regular season games).
    c. Back-to-back games for the same teams that played the last game (i.e. Manila vs. Cebu match will be played in saturday and sunday).
    d. 7-7-7 playoff format (if only 8 teams - 7-7 format).

    Players:

    a. 4 heritage players (Fil-Fors ineligible to play for Gilas as locals)
    b. 1 World import of unlimited height
    c. 1 Naturalized player/resident foreigner of unlimited height
    d. 1 Asia-Pacific import of unlimited height

    Notes:

    1. If a team hires an Asia-Pac import and a Naturalized/Resident foreigner, it will only be allowed to field 2 heritage players.
    2. No restrictions as to the playing time of Asia-Pac, Naturalized/RF, World imports and Heritage players.

    Teams:

    a. City/Province/Region-based backed by big company sponsors and basketball clubs/communities.
    b. In case of expansion, the league will look on the viability of the prospective team's chosen place taking into consideration the population size, economy as well as the interest of the people with the sport.
    c. An expansion team can no longer pick a place that has already an existing team.
    d. If the league rules that the place is not viable to have a team, the league shall encourage such expansion team represent "bigger" place (e.g. instead of Caloocan, the team is encourage to represent the whole CAMANAVA area).
    e. If a team decides to withdraw, he should sell the team and the buying-successor team shall carry over the seller-predecessor team's record, history and achievements.

    Marketing:

    a. Teams have full discretion on how they will market their teams.
    b. However, the league will oversee the finances of teams.
    c. Further, teams are required to have livestream their games in Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

    Execution:

    Inaugural season and 2nd season:

    - 8 teams, preferably places with close geographical proximity (e.g. Manila, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga and CAMANAVA).
    - Heritage players, Naturalized players/Resident foreigners are allowed
    - Strengthen teams' presence within their respective areas.

    3rd season:

    - Should the first two seasons becomes successful, expansion can now be explored.
    - World imports allowed

    5th season:

    - Further expansion, if feasible
    - Asian imports allowed

    I'll call this league Philippine Basketball Super League. Hahaha

    Share your idea of your "ultimate" league here.
    just keep politicians, Pacquiao, the Binondo Mafia, Paolo Orbeta and Dalta as far away as possible from your proposed league, or embrace gambling all together like what the NBA has done
    Ducks fly together!

  4. #4
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    just keep politicians, Pacquiao, the Binondo Mafia, Paolo Orbeta and Dalta as far away as possible from your proposed league, or embrace gambling all together like what the NBA has done
    Well, under Anti-Gambling Law, game fixing/manipulation is illegal so leagues like PBA, MPBL, D League, NBL and Vismin Cup should have been strict.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  5. #5
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    An addition might be promotion and relegation, so that if there are farm teams and they play so poor without starters, they get relegated and consequently, less money and exposure.
    Actually, while promotion and relegation is a good idea, it is actually better if the league reaches 20 member teams. If the league consists of only 8-14 teams, I believe that the league should pattern their system from NBL.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    45
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Ideally a league based on cities/areas is best, but with all the local government corruption I am not sure that is possible. Currently the pba doesnt work because fans dont care about companies....

    So my solution would be to use fraternities slogans/names as teams. I am not sure if you could use the actual names, but you could probably use color schemes and some type of naming systems/same letters (example TGP if cant use Tau Gamma Phi or Triskileons, if not TGP you could come up with some team name that would represent the fraternity without using the actual name)

    There are fraternities all around the country, many have multiple chapters in a city, each barangay has their local chapter, most are full of people who didnt even go to college. You could take the league around and you would have the local chapter of the fraternities show up to cheer their "team"

    Fan engagement would be much improved as the fans actually would care because it is their "team"

    In terms of players i would say mostly anything goes. You would just need 2 Filipinos on the court at once. Mixed filipinos would count as Filipinos if they were born in The Philippines or went to school in The Philippines.

    oh to dream...

  7. #7
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell View Post
    Ideally a league based on cities/areas is best, but with all the local government corruption I am not sure that is possible. Currently the pba doesnt work because fans dont care about companies....

    So my solution would be to use fraternities slogans/names as teams. I am not sure if you could use the actual names, but you could probably use color schemes and some type of naming systems/same letters (example TGP if cant use Tau Gamma Phi or Triskileons, if not TGP you could come up with some team name that would represent the fraternity without using the actual name)

    There are fraternities all around the country, many have multiple chapters in a city, each barangay has their local chapter, most are full of people who didnt even go to college. You could take the league around and you would have the local chapter of the fraternities show up to cheer their "team"

    Fan engagement would be much improved as the fans actually would care because it is their "team"

    In terms of players i would say mostly anything goes. You would just need 2 Filipinos on the court at once. Mixed filipinos would count as Filipinos if they were born in The Philippines or went to school in The Philippines.

    oh to dream...
    Actually, B.League gave us an idea how to resolve the logistics problem - by having back-to-back games against the same team.

    I like the idea if teams will pattern their names after fraternities. Imagine the chants. That will be wild. Well, EPL has mixed of teams there (Manchester UTD, Liverpool, ARSENALS, Chelsea). La Liga also have this (FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, ESPANYOL, Deportivo).
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    775
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell View Post
    Ideally a league based on cities/areas is best, but with all the local government corruption I am not sure that is possible. Currently the pba doesnt work because fans dont care about companies....

    So my solution would be to use fraternities slogans/names as teams. I am not sure if you could use the actual names, but you could probably use color schemes and some type of naming systems/same letters (example TGP if cant use Tau Gamma Phi or Triskileons, if not TGP you could come up with some team name that would represent the fraternity without using the actual name)

    There are fraternities all around the country, many have multiple chapters in a city, each barangay has their local chapter, most are full of people who didnt even go to college. You could take the league around and you would have the local chapter of the fraternities show up to cheer their "team"

    Fan engagement would be much improved as the fans actually would care because it is their "team"

    In terms of players i would say mostly anything goes. You would just need 2 Filipinos on the court at once. Mixed filipinos would count as Filipinos if they were born in The Philippines or went to school in The Philippines.

    oh to dream...
    Good idea, I just hope that it won't cause riots like Jackmania in Indonesia. I could easily see it going bad, especially against rival fraternities.



    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Actually, B.League gave us an idea how to resolve the logistics problem - by having back-to-back games against the same team.

    I like the idea if teams will pattern their names after fraternities. Imagine the chants. That will be wild. Well, EPL has mixed of teams there (Manchester UTD, Liverpool, ARSENALS, Chelsea). La Liga also have this (FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, ESPANYOL, Deportivo).
    If we follow the B league's format of weekly back to back games, it easily solves the logistics of teams coming from Cebu, Davao and etc.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    429
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    This is my ultimate basketball league if given a chance to found one:

    Format:

    a. Home-and-away
    b. 4 round regular season. Total number of games for each teams will depend on the number of teams in the league (e.g. 8 teams = 28 regular season games for one team; 10 teams = 36 regular season games).
    c. Back-to-back games for the same teams that played the last game (i.e. Manila vs. Cebu match will be played in saturday and sunday).
    d. 7-7-7 playoff format (if only 8 teams - 7-7 format).

    Players:

    a. 4 heritage players (Fil-Fors ineligible to play for Gilas as locals)
    b. 1 World import of unlimited height
    c. 1 Naturalized player/resident foreigner of unlimited height
    d. 1 Asia-Pacific import of unlimited height
    e. No annual drafts, just sign players the team preferred subject to the salary cap.
    f. There will be a transfer window in the middle of the season which is a period to allow teams to release or sign players from another team or another league or from the free agency. The players are also allowed to transfer provided that the team where such a player will tranfer shall bear the remainder of the previous contract of player and the team where such player originated.

    Notes:

    1. If a team hires an Asia-Pac import and a Naturalized/Resident foreigner, it will only be allowed to field 2 heritage players.
    2. No restrictions as to the playing time of Asia-Pac, Naturalized/RF, World imports and Heritage players.

    Teams:

    a. City/Province/Region-based backed by big company sponsors and basketball clubs/communities.
    b. In case of expansion, the league will look on the viability of the prospective team's chosen place taking into consideration the population size, economy as well as the interest of the people with the sport.
    c. An expansion team can no longer pick a place that has already an existing team.
    d. If the league rules that the place is not viable to have a team, the league shall encourage such expansion team represent "bigger" place (e.g. instead of Caloocan, the team is encourage to represent the whole CAMANAVA area).
    e. If a team decides to withdraw, he should sell the team and the buying-successor team shall carry over the seller-predecessor team's record, history and achievements.

    Marketing:

    a. Teams have full discretion on how they will market their teams.
    b. However, the league will oversee the finances of teams.
    c. Further, teams are required to have livestream their games in Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

    Execution:

    Inaugural season and 2nd season:

    - 8 teams, preferably places with close geographical proximity (e.g. Manila, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga and CAMANAVA).
    - Heritage players, Naturalized players/Resident foreigners are allowed
    - Strengthen teams' presence within their respective areas.

    3rd season:

    - Should the first two seasons becomes successful, expansion can now be explored.
    - World imports allowed

    5th season:

    - Further expansion, if feasible
    - Asian imports allowed

    I'll call this league Philippine Basketball Super League. Hahaha

    Share your idea of your "ultimate" league here.
    I agree with most of your points. If I may add:

    1. Have it follow the early October-mid June fiscal season. Be FIBA-friendly.

    2. One-season, one-title is cool and all, but due to Philippine viewers' attention span issue and obsession for the teams they root for to win multiple titles in a season, I'll pattern this league to the European football model. I would introduce a National Cup (all PHL pro/semi-pro clubs/NT/commercial league selection teams, and what have us here in the PHL) or an Invitational/Open (PHL clubs plus NTs or div. 1 pro clubs from APAC region) tournament within the October-June timetable. Said tourney's game schedules (preliminary to final) can either be interspersed within multiple points in time within the season (like the planned 2021-2022 EASL tournament), or be played as a month-long or shorter tournament either before the season's all-star break or right after the League championship series. This title would also be considered as a major trophy but would not be as significant as the League championship.

    3. Have a legitimate pre-season (3rd week of September) like what the NBA has (pro clubs from other countries can also be invited), only that previous season's champion teams will not participate. Instead, the title winners (or next best finishers in case both titles are won by the same team) of both tournaments will play a best-of-three Super Cup championship series (which would be another major title), scheduled in the pre-season.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    429
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Good idea, I just hope that it won't cause riots like Jackmania in Indonesia. I could easily see it going bad, especially against rival fraternities.





    If we follow the B league's format of weekly back to back games, it easily solves the logistics of teams coming from Cebu, Davao and etc.
    I've seen this vid before. Those Indonesian football fans are really fanatical with their support to their home teams. It's awesome yet terrifying at the same time.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jackie Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    756
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodbi View Post
    I agree with most of your points. If I may add:

    1. Have it follow the early October-mid June fiscal season. Be FIBA-friendly.

    2. One-season, one-title is cool and all, but due to Philippine viewers' attention span issue and obsession for the teams they root for to win multiple titles in a season, I'll pattern this league to the European football model. I would introduce a National Cup (all PHL pro/semi-pro clubs/NT/commercial league selection teams, and what have us here in the PHL) or an Invitational/Open (PHL clubs plus NTs or div. 1 pro clubs from APAC region) tournament within the October-June timetable. Said tourney's game schedules (preliminary to final) can either be interspersed within multiple points in time within the season (like the planned 2021-2022 EASL tournament), or be played as a month-long or shorter tournament either before the season's all-star break or right after the League championship series. This title would also be considered as a major trophy but would not be as significant as the League championship.

    3. Have a legitimate pre-season (3rd week of September) like what the NBA has (pro clubs from other countries can also be invited), only that previous season's champion teams will not participate. Instead, the title winners (or next best finishers in case both titles are won by the same team) of both tournaments will play a best-of-three Super Cup championship series (which would be another major title), scheduled in the pre-season.
    NBL Cup in NBL, Emperor's Cup in B.League and the Supercopa in ACB are actually good alternative to such obsession of Pinoys.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    429
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    NBL Cup in NBL, Emperor's Cup in B.League and the Supercopa in ACB are actually good alternative to such obsession of Pinoys.
    Yes, just establish something that breaks the boredom induced by a long regular season. I think they also have this in KBL, but it is played before the regular season.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jackie Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    756
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodbi View Post
    Yes, just establish something that breaks the boredom induced by a long regular season. I think they also have this in KBL, but it is played before the regular season.
    NBA will have this mid-season tourney I believe.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    429
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    NBA will have this mid-season tourney I believe.
    Yeah, I kept reading about it pre-pandemic. Regular season will be reduced to 78 games, then USD 1M per player reward for the champion team. I curious to see how that would play out.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    For me, if the league wants a long term success, the act must be two-fold motion - first, the league must promote their league itself and its member-teams and second, member-teams should promote their respective brands as well as the league they are in.

    For instance, if your team is Pampanga-based, you market your team and the league to the Kapampangans. Your team's presence must be felt throughout Pampanga because that is your audience. Outside Pampanga, it is the league's job to promote your team.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  16. #16
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,189
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    In my opinion, one step closer to make a home-and-away is to start the league to just 8 teams which represents places closer to one another and have a sizeable population.

    In my theoretical league, I will obviously pick:

    Manila
    Quezon City
    Rizal
    Cavite
    Laguna
    Batangas
    Bulacan
    Pampanga

    Look at their population:

    Manila - 1,846,513
    Quezon City - 2,960,048
    Rizal - 3,330,143
    Cavite - 4,344,829
    Laguna - 3,382,193
    Batangas - 2,908,494
    Bulacan - 3,708,890
    Pampanga - 2,437,709

    The total population of these areas is 24,918,819 - a quarter of the Philippine population. This is a huge chunk of fanbase if you think about it.

    Another thing is these places are connected by expressways so logistics problem should not be a problem.
    Last edited by ja.he; 10-21-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,585
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Mine is:

    A pro league featuring 16 teams (too many teams would be detrimental to the quality of competition).

    2 conference format - with a single import per team set-up (import with 6-10 height limit) & another conference with a 2-import set up (1 import of no height limit & 1 import with a 6-6 height restriction.

    An 8-month season which off-season should be from mid-June to mid-October. In this way the players would be available for the national team for FIBA tournaments & other international competitions which are held in this period.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jackie Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    756
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Mine is:

    A pro league featuring 16 teams (too many teams would be detrimental to the quality of competition).

    2 conference format - with a single import per team set-up (import with 6-10 height limit) & another conference with a 2-import set up (1 import of no height limit & 1 import with a 6-6 height restriction.

    An 8-month season which off-season should be from mid-June to mid-October. In this way the players would be available for the national team for FIBA tournaments & other international competitions which are held in this period.
    Let me add to your suggestion:

    a. if two different teams win those two conferences, there will be a series that will determine the ultimate season champion. It is similar to apertura and clausura in Latin American football leagues.

    b. If both conferences has been captured by one team, there will be no series to determine the ultimate season champion. That team will be automatically the season champion.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    429
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    In my opinion, one step closer to make a home-and-away is to start the league to just 8 teams which represents places closer to one another and have a sizeable population.

    In my theoretical league, I will obviously pick:

    Manila
    Quezon City
    Rizal
    Cavite
    Laguna
    Batangas
    Bulacan
    Pampanga

    Look at their population:

    Manila - 1,846,513
    Quezon City - 2,960,048
    Rizal - 3,330,143
    Cavite - 4,344,829
    Laguna - 3,382,193
    Batangas - 2,908,494
    Bulacan - 3,708,890
    Pampanga - 2,437,709

    The total population of these areas is 41,537,819 - more than a third of the Philippine population. This is a huge chunk of fanbase if you think about it.

    Another thing is these places are connected by expressways so logistics problem should not be a problem.
    The more I think about it, MPBL could have really been the first regional league to push through and succeed with this kind of format, even with their home-away-neutral format (25/25/50 partition, i think). Yung overall quality lang ng product (being that it is full of ex-pro bench warmers and no-name players, too many teams leading to a very looong season) talaga ang nagpatalo sa kanila, hence the dwindling viewership and public interest in the seasons leading up to the pandemic.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Jackie Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    756
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodbi View Post
    The more I think about it, MPBL could have really been the first regional league to push through and succeed with this kind of format, even with their home-away-neutral format (25/25/50 partition, i think). Yung overall quality lang ng product (being that it is full of ex-pro bench warmers and no-name players, too many teams leading to a very looong season) talaga ang nagpatalo sa kanila, hence the dwindling viewership and public interest in the seasons leading up to the pandemic.
    The problem with MPBL is it is infested with politicians. Dun palang, we already know there ulterior motives. They don't care about competition. What they care about is their political mileage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •