Thread: Coaching, Sets, Tactics - Analysis and Discussion

Default Coaching, Sets, Tactics - Analysis and Discussion

I hope adin's don't mind opening that thread that could help us analyzing the unseen. You could post here sets, tactical sheets, podcasts and lecturates of coaches.

By watching re-live of KKP - Efes I was stunned by seeing this set - I rewatched it 5 times I think. Now a coach put tactical explanation behind it - Obradovic ran that one with Fener quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_66Dv7qi8
    Perfect execution of Greg Popovich's zipper wheel set. Perfect timings, rotations, making help necessary and creating open shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXeT1JDAN9E
    One of my favourite teachings I've watched in last years is Milojevic's lecture on Belgrade's basketball clinic about P&R exercises for big players (Rolling, Popping, Faking, Setting Blocking). Excellent exercises. Big recommendation for everyone dispite Serbian language which most people cannot understand here.

I hope especially that our American friends can push this discussion to higher level as their methodics and coaching are always one step ahead of us in Europe. I really enjoy this discussions on Serbian boards and hope that we can create something simmilar here so that quality of board could rise and we all can learn something new.

I would like to make beginning with one of my favourite coaches for offense, Stan van Gundy and his methodics of creating an offensive philosophy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlMRw2BBas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uui07BiiEaQ
    Ataman's early and high pick and roll orientated playbook of Efes (easy but effective). As often pointed out here by me everything starts with central and high pick and roll in Efes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nAUZHdMbM
    Denver Nuggets playbook (pick, spread, cut, overload the weakside). One of the most progressive playbooks in the NBA due to ball dominant behavior of position 5 that few teams have.

Calling offense action of Partizan against Efes is very useful and it is less complicate than seems like. Pf and Center are between middle ft and 3pl, pg is on 10 meters middle, sg and sf are on both sides, center and pf make various block, sg and sf change sides, one of them goes in middle, pf goes out, center goes in. Is not so complicate for one player to play their own role but is demanding for coach to synchronize 5 players.

In Europe, Zalgiris, Barcelona, Bayern, Alba, Zenit has effective offensive playbooks.

Alba has excellent cutting, moving without ball, pass of players inside out and vice versa . All that in very quick pace, spreading and narrowing. Directing and gravitation in space of mid range where can take ball i every direction, where their players like was Fontechio or Sikma or Grigonis have ability on little space find way to basket.

Zalgiris unlike Alba, play with more control, in moderate pace, with cooperation between sg and sf, pf and c, and pg with all of them. Many pnr playbook, with diverse goals and diverse setting, with players on weak side who create space and move without ball.

Jasikeviicus with Barcelona with high quality in some measure adjusts their system. There are more offensive action for some players like Mirotic, excellent pnr players like Calathes and Davies, 1 on 1 Higgins give possibility to make things on easier way. So is just need to one or two players make some little things for almost good position.

Bayern with Trinchieri, first time in his history looks like compact team with good organization. Trinchieri prefers balance in team, with possession of balance he knows how to use better than other coaches. Centers with mid- range shoot, good on rebound, low post play, on pnr defense in some situation can to hedge, pg to switch. Every player could make shoot and at least with physical abilities who are equally like opponent. In offense sf are very important for their system, because he is crucial to recognize right moment to use advance of pnr made by other players. Same like Zalgiris many players make space for other players with their movements. With good synchronization and many moves they come in miss-match and that their players use on low post, including sf.

Zenit last season was best season of Pasqual, in my opinion. Extraordinary finding roles for every player and selection of players. Action for 3p shoots, cutting, low post for Ponitka or Thomas with or without pnr, circular moves of Pangos after pnr, high pnr. All that Zenit last season did.

Key of good synchronization of team is good cooperation between players in and out and also those players by themselves. That has reaching helping with center who has good pass, like Davies or Lauvergne or SIkma who is pf, pg who recognizes situation and can find space like Pangos, Hermanson or Calathes, and players on sg and sf who have good shoots or are secondary pg who can find space for drive or have good move without ball and physical abilities to play 1on1, such players like Grigonis, Dorsey, Ponitka, Causeur.

Sg and sf have most influence on each other`s play, because scouting defense tries to find lack with them they cover opponent`s strength. If is offensive calling for shoot of sg, if sf does not have good shoots or if does not good follow play, opponent`s player who guard him will help on player for whom is made action. That means for pf and center because they spatially closest on court, unlike sg and sf who are not but because is less play on low post ball in offense goes through perimeter and if there are player on position out who is not compact with others, that is mess.

Pg on other hand has other point of the view, because position on court and role, he has to cooperate good with every player on court, but if there is a good cooperation between sg and sf like pf and center, and if four players made job, point guard`s job is most easier.

I've read analysis of Alba offense before one year and generally it's a very easy offense to incorporate. I agree they are beautiful to watch but schemes and rotations are not complicated. It's simply a well oiled machine that's favouring the team's strong sides. Easy basketball is most often impressive to watch. Efes is best example.

Schemes of Alba are complicated in regard to connection between players and quick pace and many passes in one possession. Efes play simply, they have impressive technical and physical qualities, they play with easiness what is their advantage in regard to others.

I agree with all written.

For Slovenians/Croatians/Serbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fi69dwvag
    Zeljko Obradovic lecture from this month in Croatia
    Topic: Handoff action as alternative to pick and roll and pick and pop sets
    Excellent lektorship - pitty there is no English translation. Really really good lecture for creating superiority in offense through hand off.

Zeljko was in good mood, after lose against Cibona in pre-season. One of better their clinic. Probably someone will post translation on English, Fiba or whoever. Zeljko Obradovic is master of creation little advantage in every situation, accumulation of bunch little advantages create crucial advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhylgz1uOA
    The Russel Westbrook problem broke down by Coach Nick. Great analysis like always.