No announcement yet.

JJ Barea Emerges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29 points in 35 minutes for JJ last night. He's averaging 8 points and 3.5 assists but is shooting a lousy 39% from FGs. He's getting about 20 minutes a night.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

He is playing very well!
      Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
      16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
      Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
      8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Yes, nice game against Denver last Thursday. He came in in the second quarter and brought Dallas back after they were down 18 points. They couldn't score until Barea came in and continually broke down the Denver defense.

He needs to get more recognition. Even more than including him on the NBA power rankings picture in ESPN today (with Derrick Rose and Rajon Rondo).

Comment

Dallas Mavericks fan call him with a new nickname: Killer B as Barea helped seal the Mavs win against the Lakers in Game 2.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

J.J. Barea set a career playoff-best with 22 points on 9-14 FG (1-4 3PT) and 3-3 FT. He also dished out 8 assists along with 1 rebound.

Barea is a tough kid... Getting clotheslined by Artest's arm+elbow in the face in Game 3 and then floored by Bynum elbow in the midsection in Game 4 just shows how much adversity he faces...And if that's not enough the NBA analysts mentioned that security usually give Barea a hard time before letting him through to the locker room area as they don't believe he's an NBA player due to not recognizing him as well as him being under/or around 6 feet

Comment

A nice, glowing article about the Magician from Mayaguez:
              JJ BArea Can Succeed in the Right Offense - by Dan Devine, Yahoo! Sports, June 9, 2011

See, guys? You just need to give J.J. Barea the opportunity to run an offense he feels comfortable with — an offense in which he can scurry around like a Jolt-cola'd-up field mouse, then wind up beneath the basket surrounded by angry gentlemen cutting off seemingly every conceivable shooting angle, and finally scoop up some ludicrous business that gently passes through the net like a soft breeze dancing through the summer heat.

I call 'em "soft breeze" sets, Rick Carlisle. Get more of 'em in the playbook pronto, huh?

After struggling big-time to provide an offensive boost off the Dallas Mavericks bench in the first three games of the NBA Finals, Barea found himself replacing DeShawn Stevenson in the starting lineup for Game 4, one of several tactical switches deployed by Carlisle that wound up paying dividends for the Mavs.

The move also made NBA history, as it made Barea the first native of Puerto Rico ever to start in an NBA Finals game. Carlos Arroyo became the first Puerto Rican to play in the championship round as a member of the 2004-05 Detroit Pistons, making five appearances off the bench in Detroit's seven-game defeat at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs. (Butch Lee, the NBA's first Puerto Rican player, won a title with the 1979-80 Los Angeles Lakers, but never saw the court during L.A.'s win over the Philadelphia 76ers.)

While Barea didn't exactly set the world on fire — besides the two nifty layups above, he only made one field goal, finishing with eight points on 3-of-9 shooting in Dallas' series-tying 86-83 victory over the Miami Heat — the move seemed to ignite Stevenson, who contributed 11 points, three 3-pointers, solid perimeter defense and even some heady play to stoke the Mavs' second unit. Even if the switch-up didn't get Barea totally on-track, it did have a positive influence on Dallas' ability to match up with the Heat, both offensively and defensively.

Plus, paired with an often-erratic Jason Kidd (just three assists and four turnovers on the night), Barea took much better care of the ball, inverting his unsightly 1-to-4 assist-to-turnover ratio from Game 4 to drop four dimes against just one giveaway in nearly 22 minutes. And as evidenced above, Barea was able to enter the paint and create opportunities to wreak havoc on Tuesday night after spending too much time outside in the past two games.

Six of Barea's nine field-goal attempts in Game 4 came within nine feet of the basket, according to Hoopdata, compared with just three of eight from that distance in Game 3 and three of seven in Game 2. As Rob Mahoney noted at The Two Man Game, that in and of itself should be heartening for Dallas fans:

... though Barea hadn't really played well in the first three games of the Finals, he was able to accomplish some good things in Game 4 — even as he shot just 3-of-9 from the field. If Carlisle was given the option for Barea to get the same looks and same penetration again in Game 5, I think he'd take it in a heartbeat; Barea worked to create quality shots, but makes just weren't in the cards this time.

And if they don't look to be in the cards in Game 5, either, Carlisle should rip open the wrapper on a deck of more "soft breeze" sets. You're welcome, Dallas. (I'd like my assistant-coach championship ring to be platinum and include a lock of Dirk Nowitzki's hair, thanks.)
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Mr. Universe, puertorrican and NBA champ...
                Life is good for Jose Juan Barea
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -K2- View Post
                  Mr. Universe, puertorrican and NBA champ...
                  Life is good for Jose Juan Barea
                  I can't relate to one of the 3 things you mentioned but hey congrats to Barea

Obama BTW is in PR and I wondered if he'd mention Barea, and of course he did! He said "the little guy can play"
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                    I can't relate to one of the 3 things you mentioned but hey congrats to Barea

Obama BTW is in PR and I wondered if he'd mention Barea, and of course he did! He said "the little guy can play"
                    Man you seem to know a lot of what goes on in P.R.

Are you really chinese?
                    Originally posted by J-Mart
                    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
                    sigpic

Comment

In a giant's game, Barea gives hope to the hobbits of the hardwood. Good job, Barea!

First Kobe and now Lebron/Wade. The little guy owned all the stars this year!
                      If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by saalsapr View Post
                        Man you seem to know a lot of what goes on in P.R.

Are you really chinese?
                        Maybe not... After all I did have "I love Puerto Rico" in my signature for months...
                        aim low, score high

Comment

I don't know why, but I think Barea will kill in this preolimpic
                          Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                          16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                          Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                          8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

JJ Barea maintains his options open

Barea is interested to re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks but is open to signing with teams like Lakers, HEAT & Knicks.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Barea to play in Spain?

Barea stated that he may play in Spain in the case of an NBA Lockout.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information