Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023 Asia Pacific world cup qualifiers (windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robert0326
    Taiwan is now rebuilding mode... For now, Taiwan will have a mountain to climb to defeat us again.. they have hard time beating Guam.. While i see Gilas and Korea is now on equal strength.. But in 4-5 years, we will be better than Korea because we have some talented bigs while Korea can't find a big man in their program today.. They will be in trouble once Ratliffe will be past on his prime after 4-5 years.. Yes, they will have talented Hyungjung Lee but skilled big man still a necessity in Asian basketball..
    EXACTLY. We have skilled low-post operators at both 4 and 5 spots. We also have the defensive versatility to keep up with them. The game-changer against the Koreans (as well as Taipei and Japan) really will be the versatility and discipline of our players and the ability of our bigs to work on the post. Korean forwards and centers are either shooters, perimeter operators, or pick and roll/pop guys.

If this keeps up, this will turn into a rivalry for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
      Paging Durden_Tyler lol
      Ahh the game that finally broke DTs back hahaha.

They really need to nail their NPs if they're not getting any good bigman prospects. The problem is their NPs are usually just roleplayers

Comment

• One thing I noticed about the current & the younger Taiwanese big men is that, they're soft & lacks the toughness to endure the physicality of the FIBA game. I think yun ang naging lamang natin over Taiwan. We never run out of tough, rough & highly physical bigs. RDO, Pingris & Junmar are really tough & physical. In our current Gilas pool, bigs like Tamayo, Baltazar & Geo Chiu can play physical & have some toughness in them.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          One thing I noticed about the current & the younger Taiwanese big men is that, they're soft & lacks the toughness to endure the physicality of the FIBA game. I think yun ang naging lamang natin over Taiwan. We never run out of tough, rough & highly physical bigs. RDO, Pingris & Junmar are really tough & physical. In our current Gilas pool, bigs like Tamayo, Baltazar & Geo Chiu can play physical & have some toughness in them.
          Are you watching the game of T1 League? Jonah Morrison is kinda soft. He is afraid in contacts. Hehe

Jakrawan has bigger balls than him.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
            Are you watching the game of T1 League? Jonah Morrison is kinda soft. He is afraid in contacts. Hehe

Jakrawan has bigger balls than him.
            I based my observation watching the Chinese Taipei national team specially in recent years when the team's golden generation big men like Tseng Wen Ting, Wu Tai Hao & Tien Lei began to retire one by one. Yung mga successors nila aren't that tough & physical.

Speaking of Jonah Morrison, I think medyo mataas expectation sa kanya when he played for Taiwan's national youth team some years ago. But when he played for the senior national team, he was far from impressive. I saw him play for Taiwan in the 3rd window of 2022 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers in Clark, Pampanga, & he hardly made any impact for Taiwan. I say Carl Tamayo made more impact than Morrison in the senior level competition. Well, Morrison is still young so he still can improve his game significantly.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Taiwan is now rebuilding mode... For now, Taiwan will have a mountain to climb to defeat us again.. they have hard time beating Guam.. While i see Gilas and Korea is now on equal strength.. But in 4-5 years, we will be better than Korea because we have some talented bigs while Korea can't find a big man in their program today.. They will be in trouble once Ratliffe will be past on his prime after 4-5 years.. Yes, they will have talented Hyungjung Lee but skilled big man still a necessity in Asian basketball..
              If Gilas won't retain Tab Baldwin or replace him with an inferior coach (once SMC takes over after '23 or' 24), I expect SKorea to win most if not all the games against Gilas.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                I based my observation watching the Chinese Taipei national team specially in recent years when the team's golden generation big men like Tseng Wen Ting, Wu Tai Hao & Tien Lei began to retire one by one. Yung mga successors nila aren't that tough & physical.

Speaking of Jonah Morrison, I think medyo mataas expectation sa kanya when he played for Taiwan's national youth team some years ago. But when he played for the senior national team, he was far from impressive. I saw him play for Taiwan in the 3rd window of 2022 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers in Clark, Pampanga, & he hardly made any impact for Taiwan. I say Carl Tamayo made more impact than Morrison in the senior level competition. Well, Morrison is still young so he still can improve his game significantly.
                Chanatip Jakrawan has more minutes than Jonah. Jakrawan fought for loose balls while Jonah did not. The only and probably the biggest error Jakrawan did commit yesterday was his turnover which resulted to a hail-mary buzzer beater of Taiwan Beer.
                Last edited by ja.he; 12-05-2021, 05:37 AM.
                Attack
                defend
                Unite

Comment

With the arrival of Artino as their NP big, Morrison should play as stretch 4.. i think he will be better as a 4 rather than undersized 5..
                  I think Morrison has been envisioned as a 4 right from the onset

Comment

• There’s a possibility of all african lineage OZ players will play for boomers next year.. almost all come from same origin of country (South Sudan)
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Lebanon new NP is Thomas Robinson. I think its a smart choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lebasketball View Post
                        Lebanon new NP is Thomas Robinson. I think its a smart choice.
                        This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas..._(basketball)?

Yeah, agree, it looks like Robinson has very impressive credentials.

Comment

Justin Arana's passport issue will held off him to play in Japan.. If no offers after that baka mag PBA draft nalang daw sya....
                          Originally posted by robert0326
                          Possibly Gilas draft will take him.. His skillset, height and length that Gilas badly need, especially in FIBA qualifying windows....
                          Originally posted by IPC View Post
                          I've been keeping an eye out for Arana. I hope he can go Gilas before going to the PBA. He could be developed into a versatile forward, like what Baltazar and Tamayo have become.

He might turn out to be a poor man's Baltazar, hopefully, or maybe better.
                          If we can add Arana, that's another potential defensive weapon, which we can use against SoKor and NZ. That is, if Tab can coach him up to become one.

Comment

• GUARDS

MATT NIETO
                            BELANGEL
                            ILDEFONSO
                            SUERTE
                            TUNGCAB

WINGS

MIKE NIETO
                            NAVARRO
                            CREDO
                            BULANADI
                            BALTAZAR
                            TAMAYO

BIGS

KOUAME
                            LEPALAM
                            GO
                            RANGEL
                            CHIU

Quick Recap of Players In Gilas now.

Ngl, This team looks like lacking on Talent. And even Height.

I think it is enough to beat Indonesia, but we will have a very very hard time against Korea. (Kai and Dwight are Big losses)

If ever, it will not be cancelled. I think Coach tab and Gilas are just using this windows qualifiers to familiarize the system. ( Since we are alreaady qualified for 2023 WC)

Well, I am still interested on Tamayo and Baltzar's Improvements as a Combo Forward and a Wing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                              GUARDS

MATT NIETO
                              BELANGEL
                              ILDEFONSO
                              SUERTE
                              TUNGCAB

WINGS

MIKE NIETO
                              NAVARRO
                              CREDO
                              BULANADI
                              BALTAZAR
                              TAMAYO

BIGS

KOUAME
                              LEPALAM
                              GO
                              RANGEL
                              CHIU

Quick Recap of Players In Gilas now.

Ngl, This team looks like lacking on Talent. And even Height.

I think it is enough to beat Indonesia, but we will have a very very hard time against Korea. (Kai and Dwight are Big losses)

If ever, it will not be cancelled. I think Coach tab and Gilas are just using this windows qualifiers to familiarize the system. ( Since we are alreaady qualified for 2023 WC)

Well, I am still interested on Tamayo and Baltzar's Improvements as a Combo Forward and a Wing.
                              Abarrientos is in the pool too. Maybe he's shown signs of improvement.

I'd like to see invites extended to more players to prepare for this qualifying window. LeBron Lopez, if he doesn't make it to the OTE in time, Aldous Torculas, Jordi GDL, Jake Figueroa, Jonnel Policarpio, Anton Eusebio, maybe JB Bahio. If possible, Kevin Quiambao, Raven Cortez, Evan Nelle, Ice Hontiveros as well. Maybe HS standouts can also be invited.

Well, this team has to rely on defense more than ever. This team will have to rely on the scoring ability of Rey Suerte, Dave Ildefonso, RJ Abarrientos, and maybe Allyn Bulanadi. And we have an edge over SoKor in terms of bigs.

Interesting to see how Lepalam and Chiu will improve in this window. I hope they can develop a reliable post game, and be reliable as fours and fives.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                                ^
                                So essentially for 2022 the following have to show up for Gilas and demonstrate they belong in the 2023 World Cup team

PG Kiefer, Dalph
                                SG Parks
                                SF
                                PF /Center AJ Edu

Essentially the Asia cup is the last tryouts to see if new additions are necessary to fit into existing group from last year.
                                No player with the exception of Clarkson can just hugot in last minute and show up in August 2023 and expect to get a spot
                                Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                                Additional - Sean Dave Ildefonso

Yeah! These four + Dave are the necessary added pieces, IMO.
                                If they performed better and within at least expectations of CTB, who among the remaining ones should be removed?

For me, the nietos, either sj & or rj, bulanadi, and tungcab are dispensable. CHIU can be an alternate.

Reason - what the nietos and sj can offer, kiefer can also do, and in a much higher level. Dalph for me is still a better talent than the nietos and sj. Parks is an obvious upgrade to all the dispensables and as to Edu, as long as he is healthy, he is an obvious shoo-in.
                                Would be nice to see Dave's improvement over this window. He played at least decently last King's Cup.

Maybe he'd be a featured option with Kai, Thirdy, and Dwight not with the team. Hopefully, the playmaker experiment rubbed off on him as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information