Page 1 of 360 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Asia Pacific world cup qualifiers (windows)

Default 2023 Asia Pacific world cup qualifiers (windows)

I think we should create a new thread for the Asia Pacific World cup qualifiers which begins in November (1st window ), with maybe 4 windows to be completed even before the Asia cup is held, The WC qualifiers will be in it's 2nd round already, before the Asia cup

If correct there are 5 more spots for contention, with Gilas and Japan having 2 spots already secured

Problem on national teams based abroad is the unfeasible for them to join the qualifiers given the quarantine protocols..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...t-timeline.pdf

Based on this video and link:

* 5 spots for Africa, 7 spots for Americas, 12 spots for Europe and 8 spots for Asia.

* Games will be in a home and away format (Hopefully by November the situation will be much better)

* 8 berths will be allocated for Asia and two spots are already taken by the Philippines and Japan. Indonesia can have 1 also if they are a quarterfinalist in the Asia cup.

* If hypothetically, the Philippines and Japan will lose all of their games in the first round, they still automatically qualify for the second round.

* The first round and second round will have three windows.

* No specifics yet on the draw process, but hopefully East Asia and West Asia will be mixed to make it more fair rather than separating them.
    Posting this here, i never posted quote from another thread so hope this works...

so seems like these 5 teams are favorites to get the WC qualifying spots

Aus, NZ, China, Korea and Iran

While Lebanon and Jordan dark horses

So the 2 questions are

Of the 5 favorites who is most likely to be upset and not qualify?

and

of the two dark horses (Lebanon and Jordan) who is more likely to be the team to knockout one of the favorites ?

And of course why ?

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Posting this here, i never posted quote from another thread so hope this works...
    It works. I do that all the time.

That post is more fit here, actually.

New Zealand by either Jordan or Lebanon. Why because of covid constraints that prevents new zealand by sending their best players. Thats imho lang ah..

I think Jordan with the rise of Dwairi in his prime and with good NP can upset a regressing Haddadi and Iran by 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    New Zealand by either Jordan or Lebanon. Why because of covid constraints that prevents new zealand by sending their best players. Thats imho lang ah..
    I think the B team of NZ ( the one that beat Australia last year) is sufficient to qualify , with half of the games at home and with the opening up travel ( similar to Olympics protocols) I think it is feasible for the NZ B team to participate.

By November NZ will have one of the highest % vaccination rates (80%) and will be able to allow visitors
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 08-29-2021 at 04:17 AM.

There is a live draw on Tuesday (31st) on One sport TV5

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...lifiers/groups

This were standing for 2019 qualifiers NZ and Aus 10 wins and 2 loss
    Iran BTW was just 1 win ahead of Jordan..

Is that accurate as posted by Stevy in which he said like if for instance Phi & Japan lose all its games in the 1st round, both teams would still advance to the 2nd round? How is that possible since only 3 teams in each group will advance to the 2nd round. If Japan & Gilas advance to the 2nd round even if pang 4th place lang sila sa group nila after the 2nd round, ibig sabihin lahat ng teams (4 teams) sa respective group ng Gilas & Japan will advance. Samantalang the other groups only 3 teams in each group advance to the 2nd round.

How is that possible?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Is that accurate as posted by Stevy in which he said like if for instance Phi & Japan lose all its games in the 1st round, both teams would still advance to the 2nd round? How is that possible since only 3 teams in each group will advance to the 2nd round. If Japan & Gilas advance to the 2nd round even if pang 4th place lang sila sa group nila after the 2nd round, ibig sabihin lahat ng teams (4 teams) sa respective group ng Gilas & Japan will advance. Samantalang the other groups only 3 teams in each group advance to the 2nd round.

How is that possible?
    The video said that Japan and the Philippines are already qualified for the second round because of hosting. Maybe there will be a change in the drawing procedure? Maybe at least the Philippines or Japan will be in the West Asia group, or maybe West Asia and East Asia will finally be mixed. We should just wait for 2 days to see what the groups will look like. Like IPC said, this allows us to experiment with a lot of new faces. Maybe the DLSU boys can join us for the November window. Tab did say that he would like to have a main core by 2022, so beyond 2022, we can probably only add 3-5 pro players (Rayray, Keifer/Bolick, JC, etc).

If Indonesia qualifies , how many more teams aside from Japan and Gilas will qualify?

Sorry I'm too lazy to back read but do we get the benefit of choosing our group in the qualifiers?
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

so seems like these 5 teams are favorites to get the WC qualifying spots

Aus, NZ, China, Korea and Iran

While Lebanon and Jordan dark horses

So the 2 questions are

Of the 5 favorites who is most likely to be upset and not qualify?

and

of the two dark horses (Lebanon and Jordan) who is more likely to be the team to knockout one of the favorites ?

And of course why ?
    Given the current situation in the country, Lebanon is a big question mark.

Iran has shown vulnerability because they still relied on ageing stars Haddadi and Nikkhah Bahrami to carry them in the ACQ.

Jordan is 80% sure to qualify given their good form albeit Zaid Abbas' retirement.

My bet is on Chinese Taipei pulling a 2013 FIBA Asia Cup and upsetting the above mentioned.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

I think Jordan with the rise of Dwairi in his prime and with good NP can upset a regressing Haddadi and Iran by 2022.
    Agree. The Asia Cup qualifiers showed that Iran w/o Hadadi & Bahrami is beatable by teams like Syria & Saudi Arabia. In fact Syria scored an upset over Iran minus Hadadi & Bahrami in the 2nd window while Saudi Arabia's 2 loses vs. Iran were close games.

I heard Bahrami has already retired from the NT. Hadadi may play some games in the 2023 World Cup qualifiers but with his age, as well as the wear & tear, he would be less effected for Iran than what he once was in his prime.

There's no Iranian big man at present who comes close to what Hadadi could bring to the table.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Chinese taipei can upset iran lebanon and jordan but the problem is can they get past the big asia pacific 6 in 2 games given their situation as best players playing in cba, the best young prospect playing stateside.. there should address the balance issues between west asia and east asia first..

Here is an indication of NZ intention and will send a team for participate in the windows
    https://nz.basketball/sky-sport-tall...asia-cup-2021/

I think the 1st window of games (November ) will be held at home in NZ, I also think it is prudent due to pandemic , that instead of just 2 games per window they double it to 4 games, having to travel and quarantine for each window of just 2 games is really not practical.

a 1st round group of
    NZ
    Japan
    Taipei
    would be excellent , all 3 nations have great Covid response , ( for Japan at least they know how to host events in a pandemic)

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    How about China? Big controversial right now that Zhou Qi will not play CBA this coming season.. It means he will might not play with Chinese nat'l team as well.. It will hurt Chinese chances to qualify easily.. We all know how big of an impact Zhou Qi is.. He's 2nd best big man in China today after Yi.. With Yi is also unsure if he will comebcak to play for nat'l team and not yet 100% healthy and no Zhou.. Who will lead China to their WC qualifiers campaign? Yes, there are too many bigs in China basketball, But not as skilled and talented as Zhou and maybe Yi can offer.. If Yi and Zhou can't come back on time then it might be China who will suffer from this and possible an early 1st round exit from them...
    I think Zhou Qi will play in the 2023 World Cup qualifiers so as to soften the hearts of the Chinese basketball federation & CBA itself and possibly, mapaaga pagbalik nya sa CBA.

But his inactivity however might make him sluggish & out of shape while playing in the qualifiers.

I still count China as a strong contender. I expect players like Yi Jianlian, Abuderexiti, Gou Ailun, Ding, etc. to be back for China in the world cup qualifiers. The China team that played in the 3rd window Asia Cup qualifiers is not a gauge of the true strength of Chinese national team. Mas malakas di hamak ang China if they play full force.

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Interesting POT seedings FIBA announced.. India and Indonesia change divisions, As Indonesia will go to the West region while India go to the tough East region.. Might sound unfair, Right? Or Indonesia is also in same treatment as Japan and Philippines (also being as host) as concerned...

POT 1: Australia , NZL (East)

POT 2: Iran, Jordan (West)

POT 3: China, S. Korea (East)

POT 4: Lebanon, Kazakhstan (West)

POT 5: Philippines, Japan (East)

POT 6: Indonesia, Syria (West)

POT 7: C. Taipei, India (East)

POT 8: KSA, Bahrain (West)

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/draw...ualifiers-draw
    Agree about India so unlucky going into the East division which is obviously tougher compared to the West division. Even minus Australia & New Zealand, the East division would still be a bit tougher than the West.

I believe that China (if it plays full force or close to that), Korea, Japan (even minus Hachimura & Watanabe), & Gilas (which is expected to get stronger as time goes by, hopefully), are a bit stronger, collectively speaking than Jordan (it would most likely miss Ahmed Al Dwairi in the 1st & 2nd windows, as well as the 5th & 6th windows), Lebanon, Iran (expected to be on the decline), Kazakhstan (among the inconsistent teams in Asia).

Page 1 of 360 1231151101 ... LastLast