Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Default Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2021-22

Default Default Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2021-22

Let's go with new puzzles of the new season.

I think Zalgiris got a little weaker overall. I think their position 2 is pretty soft and weak. Strielniks is injury probe. If Mudiay in, I like it, but he will need some time to adjust so Walkup at the start of the season would still be more reliable option. I think Kalnietis can't give much in tough EL court anymore. I doubt Nebo can be better than Rubit. Off course, we can see much improved SF compared to last season in Ulanovas and Giffey and hopefully Zalgiris will have more shooting at 4 from Cavanough. A lot will depend on Mudiay, but I already can see not enough of perimeter sharpness and explosiveness.

Rytas surely improved PG section inviting Kariniauskas and Normantas. They still lack SG foreigner. They added couple of undersized PFs, but they should be pretty good. And it's good that Buva is staying. I think the team will be stronger this year.

Liekabelis I think should be more or less on the same path, maybe even slightly improved, IMO (differently than common assumption). They lost Valinskas, Masiulis, Vinales, Normantas. That's a lot. But I think Valinskas and Vinales were pretty crappy defenders and softies. Normantas loss might be the biggest, IMO. But I think D. Giedraitis, Radicevic and Zemaitis can play some D. I don't know if they will have enough of offense, but perimeter defence should be better, IMO. Lipkevicius a little but declining so Kalaitzakis will have to step up. IDK, what Orelikas can bring, but Berzins is pretty solid. It's really cool that 21yo D. Giedraitis will probably start in Eurocup. Hope he'll stay healthy.

Not sure about other teams, didn't really study. I know that Murauskas will play in Nevezis, that's already motivation to take a look around. Mockus surprisingly signed long term with Prienai and not Neptunas. I don't treat him as special prospect will take another look at him.

Basically, I don't like that players as Velicka, Sirvydis are playing abroad. It would be adequate level for both to play either Rytas, Lietkabelis or even Zalgiris. One guy is from Vilnius, other from Kaunas. They are part of Rytas and Zalgiris pyramid. Why our best clubs split with their best youth system pieces is beyond me. We add some Vasturias and Perez, but we don't give a chance to best gems of local youth systems (that's the shot at Saras as well that he never tried to guide Velicka while he was in Kaunas). That's not a good situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Mockus surprisingly signed long term with Prienai and not Neptunas.
    He actually signed long terms with both, with Neptunas last year and with Prienai this year

Well, do you think everyone in LKL should be at least fired for new logo?

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post

I have a good case thinking that I know that you mean.

Exclamation

Fired? If this is the new logo, they should be flogged first and then fired:

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-01-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Fired? If this is the new logo, they should be flogged first and then fired:

How do you like Nevezis IU! logo?

Very convenient. Nice job.

Last edited by LuDux; 08-27-2021 at 09:57 PM.

How do you like Nevezis IU! logo?
    Colourless and boring.

The one they had a few years ago was excellent:

Yet for whatever reason they changed it to worse and worse yet again. Why?

And why is this thread entitled Default?

From personal perspective, I probably find this season slightly more intriguing. To me it's about individuals when it comes to LKL, cause there's no competition till Vilnius won't create really competitive team. Compared to last season, LKL lost 2 biggest Lithuanian PG hopes in Jokubaitis in Marciulionis, but Lietkabelis got D. Giedraitis, Nevezis got Murauskas and this year Blazevic, Rubstavicius should get more minutes. Those 4 are legitimate long term NT material prospects.

It will be interesting to see how Kariniauskas and Normantas will stick together as NT borderliners. Zalgiris' Mudiay may absolutely destroy LKL, I feel more Edney's than Ty Larson's vibes in him.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Compared to last season, LKL lost 2 biggest Lithuanian PG hopes in Jokubaitis in Marciulionis....

Adomas Sidarevičius of Neptūnas bears watching. He just turned twenty in June but has been showing some real game recently.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-18-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Question

Projections for Jonava?

I think it's time to say Matas Jogela is no prospect anymore. Not the one who can reach EL level. He became bigger, but lost a stint of agility, craftiness. Seem to be average and slow decision maker. Has broken handles. Still inconsistent shooter. His development has been disappointing.

D.Giedraitis managed get some sort of micro injury in his first LKL game. Main threat of his career is pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Projections for Jonava?

Predictions on twitter have them at 4-8 with Neptunas Siauliai and Milkstars

Many interesting players in LKL. Amar Sylla looks really impressive, reminds me a bit of Lamar Odom. Canka is good, but can't shoot as of yet. 17yo Daryl Doualla is speedy, athletic, beefy guard. Juwan Durham is pretty good center. Jovan Kljajič can play also.

Regarding 17yo Murauskas. I have to say he disappoints me a little bit. When I saw him 2 years ago he looked like transcendent prospect to me, super crafty and sneaky player, he was really standing out big time as 15yo. Now that feeling is almost gone. Off course, he is still only 17yo and has terrific size, but now it doesn't seem that he would be premium level prospect. When 17yo Tubelis was stepping on LKL floor you could feel that athletically he's up with the rest and even better than some, while Murauskas is just another body and his skillset is still extremely raw. Not that he doesn't have future, but at some point it looked like he might be in the soil of elite prospects as JV, D-MO, Domas ect, as he historically dominated in U16 as 15yo.

Good news is Sargiunas. This 1999 generation stud is balling already as 22yo. Once I was almost as high on him as elite guard prospect, but his NCAA career was a nightmare and he seemed to lose a stint of agility and explosiviness, but obviously he still had more in the tank than it seemed. He's not elite, but very interesting combo. Should be a strong NT borderliner and maybe even slightly more, who knows. I'm pretty certain that he can have better career than guys like Juskevicius, Kariniauskas and so on. 4 times Youth level medalist as well, together with Velicka. Wouldn't be surprised if he will dominate LKL with 16ppg and 4appg this season.

A little too soon to go completely high on Sargiunas, in his second LKL game he struggled a little bit so consistency still might be a little bit of an issue, but today, again, he dominated with 22/7/5 and clutch performance. The guy has upside. A bit premature comparison might be Marius Grigonis. At the moment it may sound a bit optimistic, but as far as I remember 22yo Grigonis I think they are more or less on the same soil. Grigonis was much more stable and reliable shooter, more consistent decision maker. Sargiunas is a better slasher; bigger, tougher and more athletic guard who gets wild a little bit here and there. Defensively they are both somewhat inconsistent, decent/solid when they want it to be, but generally offensive players. Sargiunas is posed for a strong brake out season. Rytas had some interest in him this summer. Next season Sargiunas should move higher. If that won't be Rytas/Lietkabelis, then it should be some Italy/Germany/France, maybe even ACB. I do believe Zalgiris will consider him as well, as he's ex Zalgiris youth project. It would be really cool if say Velicka and Sargiunas, 1999 generation studs, would re-unite in some Rytas and would make a big guard duet punch.

PS:

Loved how Lekavicius showed why he's Euroleague guard, carrying Zalgiris against Lietkabelis.

On other hand, I'm sticking to the position that Kalnietis should retire from NT already. It gets to the point when 84-85 generation vets retirement getting ugly. Maciulis nearly begged on his knee for the spot of Olympic NT and Zalgiris. Jankunas is so meh and realistically he had to retire already (I don't even speak about Milaknis). Now Kalnietis idea that he might still play for the NT come to the point when the question "really?" kinda asks for it. 36yo Kalnietis is not 36yo Jasikevicius, and even with Jasikevicius it didn't really work. Regarding Kalnietis EL season, the only question is whenever he will have some useful stretches during it, or he will be pretty horrible all season long.

Sad that the NKL teams aren't part of the Karaliaus Mindaugo Tournament this year.

I wonder why the NKL teams were dropped? I always found the games between NKL and LKL teams interesting.

Cizauskas with - 2 eff (2/14 FG) vs Janavicius 21 eff (11 assists, averages 7,1apg).

I wonder who this time will be "unjustly pushed to the corner in Lithuanian BB"...Redikas kinda treated poorly....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast