Alperen Sengun thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alperen Sengun thread!

Sengün was selected by Houston at 16. Didnt expect it at all tbh. I expected him to get drafted between 8 and 14 but ok this is really not very important. Houston is in total rebuild process. Christian Wook should be set for the starting center position and I dont see much problems using Sengün or Garuba with him. Both are great passers and can utilize him.

First of all, the most important point, hell get play time from day 1...

but I see 3 major problems:

1. Houston has the guys for a transition based game.
    2. Although I dont think that John Wall will stay Green and Wall are ball dominant players and Sengün is someone who is useful with the ball in his hands.
    I expect Jokic like transition passes from him. Green is his man in this issue. He has that skill but running will be a problem.
    3. There is more space and NBA players are much more athletic than BSL players, he must work on his lateral quickness and show that he is at least an average defender. He must work smart with positioning and use the right angles etc

I am not going to say "look, I told you, didnt I". Sengün has still loads of work to do, especially in the pick and roll defense but its really good to see that he can produce in 1 vs 1 for himself. This was what I expected from the first minute. Admittedly, he struggled in the first game doing it against Mobley but it was just the excitement of the first game. He is creating from the perimeter, knows exactly where to stay to be available for easy buckets, he finds his team mates in the low and high post, shows great rebounding instincts. What will not translate from the summer league is his block average of 4 Blocks.

Alperen as expected has a rock solid motor and is very skilled. The most important part in his offensive game is to develop a mid range jumper. He will reach his potential of being a passer and finisher when opponents need to respect his shot. We will see how much he can create against stronger opponents. I never saw him giving up against bigger guys but guys like Embiid or Stevens are a different level physically.

He should be playing around 20-25 minutes per game and should focus on shots and his physical development. Is a season of finding out where his focus should be. I will evaluate him after the 2023 season.

Comment

Sengun is another well known story about how Americans see European prospects.

Americans:

- Yeah, he might be pretty good, whatever...

Americans after see him actually play:

- He's so GOOD!

Remember how many people made a joke of themselves evaluating Donic....Sengun is not Doncic off couse, but he can be an all star one day. Sooner than latter, specially if he will shoot some.

I see some Rockets people have no idea what they got in Sengun and Garuba, that's pretty funny. We talk how global all shit is today, but many American announcers and commentators just have no clue about these players
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Alperen Sengün thread!

Ok after this game I decided to give him a thread for himself. He totally annihilated Cousins and Portis in the time he played. In his 16 minutes of action he scored 15 points, grabbed 5 rebounds and 1 steal against the Bucks.

He was great but Silas has a problem with him it seems. In any case he is the best Turkish Baller right now. If he works on his skills, he is surely an allstar potential. I mean if he can handle Giannis, he can handle anyone.

Last edited by Toruko; 12-11-2021, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Sengün again with a great back to back game. Filled his stat sheet better this time. Scored 15 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal and 3 blocks. Very active hands, very impressive.

Comment

If there's any prodigy in Turkish basketball, then it's Sengun. At least he's the most talented and special basketball player by far. He's on his way to be the second most craftiest big in the world after Jokic. However, he's a bit undersized and not super explosive on his feet as a center. That's the limitation, but he can compensate that with extreme feel for the game, plasticity and creativity. In NBA wide courts he'll be a magician offensively. Defensively he won't be good defender, but can be solid duo to good positioning and IQ.

However, as FIBA goes it remains the same question. Will he be just solid as guys like Vucevic, JV, Sabonis, Nurkic are (and even Marc Gasol basically in this territory), or can he be something more (getting close to Pau and Dirk soil). I mean, even freakin' Jokic yet never dominated FIBA and he's the best center in the world (he skipped 2021 so we don't know how he could look there though). I understand Toruko's optimism, but when it comes to NT, as Lith NT fan I would be more reserved, he may be like JV - very solid piece, but not a guy that you can build around for a winning NT. But Sengun might be more than that, we'll see.
            Last edited by Straight forward; 12-12-2021, 11:36 AM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

If there's any prodigy in Turkish basketball, then it's Sengun. At least he's the most talented and special basketball player by far.
              Thats correct, for now at least.

He's on his way to be the second most craftiest big in the world after Jokic. However, he's a bit undersized and not super explosive on his feet as a center.
              Except the Jokic comparison this can be kept too.

That's the limitation, but he can compensate that with extreme feel for the game, plasticity and creativity.
              ok.

In NBA wide courts he'll be a magician offensively.
              Yeah NBA games are based on one and one pace and space basketball. Its fairly different than our defense based basketball.

Defensively he won't be good defender, but can be solid duo to good positioning and IQ.
              Being solid on defense and good to great offensively is enough.

However, as FIBA goes it remains the same question. Will he be just solid as guys like Vukcevic, JV, Sabonis, Nurkic are (and even Marc Gasol basically in this territory), or can he be something more (getting close to Pau and Dirk soil). I mean, even freakin' Jokic yet never dominated FIBA and he's the best center in the world (he skipped 2021 so we don't know how he could look there though).
              Without proper prep time its difficult to expect NTs to expand their true potential. Sengün is willing to come and work his butt off for the NT like JV for example. Jokic didnt seem very eager to play for Serbia. In 2019 the Serbian team didnt have the composition to be a solid defensive team.

In terms of working on FIBA courts I am not worried a bit about Sengüns effectiveness. Actually he is made for FIBA games since he can create for himself out of the post and for others. The most important thing right now is that he becomes the best version of himself.

I understand Toruko's optimism, but when it comes to NT, as Lith NT fan I would be more reserved, he may be like JV - very solid piece, but not a guy that you can build around for a winning NT. But Sengun might be more than that, we'll see.
              The source of my optimism is not only Sengün and my optimism right now doesnt mean to play everyone on the ground but being competitive against anyone. To the comparison to JV. I understand that you mean the impact who he could make with the NT. We will see about that but in terms of Talent JV doesnt have a quarter of Sengüns talent. JVs game is based on strength, pushing his opponent to the rim and finishing there with bruit strength and he is a solid rebounder which basically explains his fully game.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                The source of my optimism is not only Sengün and my optimism right now doesnt mean to play everyone on the ground but being competitive against anyone. To the comparison to JV. I understand that you mean the impact who he could make with the NT. We will see about that but in terms of Talent JV doesnt have a quarter of Sengüns talent. JVs game is based on strength, pushing his opponent to the rim and finishing there with bruit strength and he is a solid rebounder which basically explains his fully game.
                Quarter or more, but I get what you say. However, players like Marc Gasol (also craftier and more skilled than JV) and even Jokic (2019) seem to be just solid in FIBA (or even Vucevic, Sabonis and the same Giannis can be mentioned). FIBA is completely different animal. You have to have that extra skillset . Like Dirk's sharp shooting knife, or Pau's incredible feet work and explosiveness with such size. Whenever Sungen has that x factor to dominate FIBA, will remain to be seen.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Comment

Again a great game of Sengün. He contributed to the win with 11 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and two blocks in 25 minutes. Houston came back from 18 points and won also thanks to him.

Comment

Sengün again with a carrier high with 19 Points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals one block in 28 minutes.

Comment

Rockets rookie Alperen Sengun plans to work with Hakeem Olajuwon on footwork

Fresh off a career night with 19 points and 11 rebounds, rookie center Alperen Sengun wants to do even more in Houston. One way to do that is with the help of legendary Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon.

In a new interview with The Athletic, Rockets beat writer Kelly Iko writes that Sengun’s “eyes light up” when he speaks about potentially working with the Hall of Famer, who has become known as a footwork guru.

Sengun, who was taken at No. 16 overall in the first round of the 2021 NBA draft, tells Iko about his desire to work with “The Dream”:

I was working in a young team in Turkey. I was watching a lot. When I watch, I learn quickly, and it also helps me a lot. But also I’d like to work with Hakeem Olajuwon about this. We will work in the future. He said, ‘I’ll teach you some moves.’ It’s good for me, I’m waiting.

Since retiring in 2002, Olajuwon has helped mentor numerous NBA players regarding post moves and footwork, including big names like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Amar’e Stoudemire, and Dwight Howard.

Entering Thursday, Sengun has clearly taken on more minutes and responsibility as the 2021-22 NBA season has progressed. Over his last seven games, the 19-year-old big man is averaging 12.7 points (51.7% FG), 5.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.1 blocks in 20.1 minutes.

Among his many on-court attributes, it is Sengun’s post moves and court vision that have led many fans to view him as a star in the making, and working with Olajuwon should only expedite his development.

One month with Hakeem the "dream shake" and he is ready for the next season

Comment

Alperen Sengün again with a solid game on both ends. Played really good defense with 2 blocks. 9 Points 5 rebounds 4 offensive and 4 assists. We will need to wait they trade C. Wood to take Sengün over but once he is ready he will be a triple double machine.

Comment

Good breakdown of Sengüns game of Lithuanians.

Passing like Jokic? Footwork like Olajuwon? Game creation like Domantas Sabonis? These comparisons might be too much but Houston Rockets have a hidden gem. A...

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                              Good breakdown of Sengüns game of Lithuanians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGFqeIClOc
                              I think it makes sense to project him somewhere between D. Sabonis and Jokic as this video implicitly implied in a way.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information