Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filbasket Thread

Default Filbasket Thread

I guess this is where we can talk about the new league.

What I would really want to know is the business model and financial aspect of the league. So far with the reveal of some of the companies participating, I like what I am seeing since these are known entities. I am hoping the Ayalas, Gokongweis, Sys, and the Villars join this league to make it more sustainable.

I am also interested in what Jai Reyes said regarding transparency. While there might be legal matters that need to be discussed like the Data Privacy Law, it would be to the interest of the league and the public if they were more transparent than the PBA which is run like a mafia.

The success of Filbasket will benefit Philippine basketball as it will provide alternatives to the PBA. The top Gilas prospects should play there. Here is where Ronald Mascarinas and Chooks to Go can make good on his word to finance a full-time national team. I just hope that the level of play (which can be achieved with foreign coaches and players) would lead to player development rather than stagnation (6'5 centers in the PBA).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Foreign teams, allowing former college imports to play..

But again for now its a league of luzon mpbl teams during off season

You market the league as nt firendly, binondo gods have their basketball league

Everybody happy
    Last edited by reamily; 08-06-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

I am very excited about the prospect of the national team especially the special draft developing in this league. I am hoping we can have the equivalent what Japan is doing with their "Akatsuki 5" in Filbasket. I hope this league will solve the Gilas cadets issue in filoil and the suceeding nt iterations where almost every single player the nt has to borrow were at the mercy of their handlers. If no pba teams want to participate, I'd love to see Gilas regularly compete against Alab and Mighty Sports or similar teams, one thing for sure though, the development of the nt would be a huge selling point for this league since that's what Filipinos want to see. MPBL teams honestly wouldn't be bad too, they're evolving systematically as well as this video well puts: https://youtu.be/xbb3NDTy92o

The suggestion of having the likes of Blatche or Douthit be regulars in the league is a bit outlandish though. The teams in filbasket would be lucky to outbid foreign and local leagues(esp uaap) for cheaper and rawer prospects from Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria etc.

FilBasket Opening Logo

Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    I am very excited about the prospect of the national team especially the special draft developing in this league. I am hoping we can have the equivalent what Japan is doing with their "Akatsuki 5" in Filbasket. I hope this league will solve the Gilas cadets issue in filoil and the suceeding nt iterations where almost every single player the nt has to borrow were at the mercy of their handlers. If no pba teams want to participate, I'd love to see Gilas regularly compete against Alab and Mighty Sports or similar teams, one thing for sure though, the development of the nt would be a huge selling point for this league since that's what Filipinos want to see. MPBL teams honestly wouldn't be bad too, they're evolving systematically as well as this video well puts: https://youtu.be/xbb3NDTy92o

The suggestion of having the likes of Blatche or Douthit be regulars in the league is a bit outlandish though. The teams in filbasket would be lucky to outbid foreign and local leagues(esp uaap) for cheaper and rawer prospects from Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria etc.
    I'll be happy if the likes of Bright (is he deported already?), Chabi Yo and the rest of the FSAs would suit up for the league, I guess the changes in PBA's draft policy is not only to deter blue chippers from playing abroad but also to block them to play for other domestic leagues
    Ducks fly together!

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    I'll be happy if the likes of Bright (is he deported already?), Chabi Yo and the rest of the FSAs would suit up for the league, I guess the changes in PBA's draft policy is not only to deter blue chippers from playing abroad but also to block them to play for other domestic leagues
    Its like the old PCBL although its difficult as GAB will never give them semi pro status..

Hoping that the foreign student athletes get to play in Filbasket but I would want them to be graduates of local universities so we don't get the mercenaries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The hype that this league is already generating after the W Gameplay video is pretty exciting. I hope they will utilize social media for good to gain traction. They can reach out to solid persinalities on yt like Yeshkel and Hoops Highlights to analyze games once the league commences, actually sponsor those guys to make contents related to the league and its games, that's what core bball fans will enjoy with added advantage of expanding their reach. I hope they don't pull an mpbl when it comes to marketing and execution, espescially the most ridiculous and lame height limit rule on foreign players.

as long as they treat the fans with respect and have a sound business/financial model they will flourish. fans today are more informed. they can easily see through the mafia techniques of you-know-who.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    The hype that this league is already generating after the W Gameplay video is pretty exciting. I hope they will utilize social media for good to gain traction. They can reach out to solid persinalities on yt like Yeshkel and Hoops Highlights to analyze games once the league commences, actually sponsor those guys to make contents related to the league and its games, that's what core bball fans will enjoy with added advantage of expanding their reach. I hope they don't pull an mpbl when it comes to marketing and execution, espescially the most ridiculous and lame height limit rule on foreign players.
    I love those YT channels. Different attacks but both with sensible contents.

Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    Hoping that the foreign student athletes get to play in Filbasket but I would want them to be graduates of local universities so we don't get the mercenaries.
    Agree
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I think Jai has that good ambition to become agood basketball executive in his career and he is using filbasket as his launch pad ika nga

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    Is there an official complaint against Bright? Anyway I hope FilBasket allows unli imports for all teams, not just foreign guest teams. I mean if they think having only local coaches is xenophobic, the same logic should apply to the players.

This league is smart, it will be used by rich basketball giants to filter Fil foreigners again haha just like the league handled by Vince Hizon back then

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Is there an official complaint against Bright? Anyway I hope FilBasket allows unli imports for all teams, not just foreign guest teams. I mean if they think having only local coaches is xenophobic, the same logic should apply to the players.
    To answer your first question, wala pa articles eh. But Bright is already in Nigeria now based on his IG stories. OLA must be here pa rin naman and i saw a video of him being a barista or the like.

Yup, i think what Jai mentioned is that they are trying to pattern themselves with the Euro League. so pwede sana mga imports sa teams. Hope they could afford tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    To answer your first question, wala pa articles eh. But Bright is already in Nigeria now based on his IG stories. OLA must be here pa rin naman and i saw a video of him being a barista or the like.

Yup, i think what Jai mentioned is that they are trying to pattern themselves with the Euro League. so pwede sana mga imports sa teams. Hope they could afford tho.
    The smart thing to do is to allow 3 imports so teams can have players in the SF/PF/C positions with legitimate size and skill.

A problem that local leagues have been plagued with since the beginning is forcing local players to be undersized in certain positions.

This would give incentive for local ballers who are 6'0-6'5 to develop their PG/SG skillsets appropriate for their height.

We honestly could have produced more Dwight Ramoses or Dave Ildefonsos if we implemented this.

I'm honestly tired of seeing 6'4 PF's in the PBA and them getting eaten alive in international competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by sroth3839 View Post
    The smart thing to do is to allow 3 imports so teams can have players in the SF/PF/C positions with legitimate size and skill.

A problem that local leagues have been plagued with since the beginning is forcing local players to be undersized in certain positions.

This would give incentive for local ballers who are 6'0-6'5 to develop their PG/SG skillsets appropriate for their height.

We honestly could have produced more Dwight Ramoses or Dave Ildefonsos if we implemented this.

I'm honestly tired of seeing 6'4 PF's in the PBA and them getting eaten alive in international competitions.
    I agree we have so many wasted talents because of this, Imagine if Calvin had guard skills and a perimeter shot or an Almazan who is a wing. Hopefully this is the start of players playing in the right positions especially with the transitions of Balty/Tamayo. I hope that in the next decade especially with the new generation we won't see the dreadful 6'4 PFs or 6'7 Centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    I agree we have so many wasted talents because of this, Imagine if Calvin had guard skills and a perimeter shot or an Almazan who is a wing. Hopefully this is the start of players playing in the right positions especially with the transitions of Balty/Tamayo. I hope that in the next decade especially with the new generation we won't see the dreadful 6'4 PFs or 6'7 Centers.
    A good example is Arwind Santos. He is 6'4 and plays PF. Does well in the PBA but sucks big time in FIBA ball.

Same goes for Carl Bryan Cruz. Same height as Arwind but way undersized as a stretch 4. The guy has no handles at all.

With their recent announcement about age limit (minors will be welcomed?), I hope this league becomes the true grassroots/developmental league most of us are clamoring for, one that won't be a collateral damage from the big corporate rivalry that we all know.

I hope they also incentivize member clubs not just for winning the Filbasket tournament, but also for:
    1. Developing U-20 talents, more specifically if signed by various foreign leagues or by SBP for Gilas.
    2. Winning 50% of their games while implementing foreign system of play effective in international basketball

Filbasket has announced that the Muntinlupa Defenders will join their Inaugural Tournament.
    https://www.facebook.com/filbasketph...20286443671908

So far the teams that will join said tournament are the following:
    Davao Occidental Tigers - MPBL
    Pasig Realtors Sta. Lucia - MPBL/Former PBA team
    San Juan Knights - MPBL/MBA
    Clearport International Canada - Maybe 2nd tier/3rd tier team in Canada?
    Muntinlupa Defenders - New team?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast