Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Filbasket Thread

  1. #61
    Senior Member Servinio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,410
    Country: Philippines

    Thumbs up



    BASKETBALL fans are looking forward to the opening of Filbasket, the newest Basketball league in the country that seeks to breathe back life into the sport closest to the Filipinos’ heart. A crack field of 11 teams are set to dispute the inaugural championship inside a month-long bubble at the Splendido Taal Country Club in Laurel, Batangas. READ MORE

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    304
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Servinio View Post


    BASKETBALL fans are looking forward to the opening of Filbasket, the newest Basketball league in the country that seeks to breathe back life into the sport closest to the Filipinos’ heart. A crack field of 11 teams are set to dispute the inaugural championship inside a month-long bubble at the Splendido Taal Country Club in Laurel, Batangas. READ MORE
    This is great! But what excites me more is the organizers' plan to sync their league calendar with MPBL's and Vis-Min Cup's. When that happens, I'll guess we'll see an arrangement/format that's similar to Euro leagues but only on a local level (within PHL only), where the 3 leagues would follow only one sporting calendar and set of rules and regulations, or even bylaws. Perhaps in the future, inter-league transactions (player transfers, trades, signings, etc.) can also be made.

    I salute the team owners of all teams in the regional leagues, tbh. Even if this endeavor is tough on their pockets, they still go through with it. I think they're aware that the regional format is what the Filipino fans deserve.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,109
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Renz abando will play in FILBASKET league for san juan knights

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,226
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Renz abando will play in FILBASKET league for san juan knights
    would that mess with his NCAA eligibility?

  5. #65
    Senior Member Jackie Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    684
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    would that mess with his NCAA eligibility?
    It should be NO since FilBasket holds an amateur status but being a semi-pro makes more sense since players there will be paid.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,729
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    would that mess with his NCAA eligibility?
    NCAA allows their players to play in semi PRO leagues w/o any restriction of eligibility...

  7. #67
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    would that mess with his NCAA eligibility?
    His handlers would have done their homework. So probably no.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Before we dream of a merger, let see if they can survive in 3 years. They should not focus on PBA they should be thinking of sustainability. That was the problem with MBA. They try to beat PBA rather than MBA financially reliable first. A lot of players weren't paid by MBA because of mismanagement and focus.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    304
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Before we dream of a merger, let see if they can survive in 3 years. They should not focus on PBA they should be thinking of sustainability. That was the problem with MBA. They try to beat PBA rather than MBA financially reliable first. A lot of players weren't paid by MBA because of mismanagement and focus.
    I agree with you regarding MBA. It had the most ideal format, at least for a fan's perspective but then again, was beset by insurmountable challenges that time. The succeeding leagues that followed the same format learned well not to compete directly with PBA, but still could only manage 3 or so years of what seemed to be an unhindered existence, mostly due to their inability to match PBA's quality. It was all downhill after year 3.

    No one is saying outright for the 3 minor leagues to merge right away and if anything, they should be their own entities. However, for me, they must submit themselves to a higher authority that is SBP-friendly and all 3 should have the same season calendar, salary grades, player-transfer policies, and similar bylaws. Kinda like how the domestic European football leagues' relationship with UEFA.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    992
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Renz abando will play in FILBASKET league for san juan knights

    So San Juan got rid of John Wilson for him. Interesting move. plus they have Alvin Abundo. Abundo Abando connection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •