Jul 27 Japan 14-16 France

1/2 Finals

Jul 28 USA 18-16 France
    Jul 28 Russia 21-14 China

3rd Place

Jul 28 France 14-16 China

Final

Jul 28 USA 18-15 Russia
    Last edited by Kings; 07-28-2021, 01:55 PM.

Japan handed the US their first loss of the tournament in the last group game, 20-18. The US had been ahead 14-9.

Article about the Mongolian team:
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Going into the Olympic Men's 3x3 competition, I expected Serbia to be the team to beat followed by Latvia. I expected Netherlands, Russia and Belgium to contend for the Bronze. I thought Poland, China and Japan would be also rans.

Serbia indeed dominated with a 16-15 victory over the Netherlands being the only game in which Serbia was seriously challenged. Otherwise there was a large element of unpredictability to the games which is not surprising in these ten minute matches.

Nonetheless Russia's 21-19 victory over the Netherlands in the QF surprised me a bit since Netherlands had beaten Russia 18-15 in the round-robin.

I'm still predicting that Serbia will get the Gold, Latvia the Silver and Belgium the Bronze.

Comment

You are right for medals but not for rankings. Serbia broke psychologically apart in semis and after winning 7 of 8 games didn't win gold but bronze. Hands were shaking, nothing worked out, pressure ate them alive. I feel sad for the guys because they were and are clearly best team in the world. Anyways, one more time proven phrase that real champions first must overcome their own head in favourite situations. But a medal is a medal. Congrats for all teams for a good tournament, real fun games.

Comment

Russia 21 Serbia 10
          Latvia 21 Belgium 8

Yes, quite the collapse by Serbia.

Serbia 21 Belgium 10 (Bronze)
          Latvia 21 Russia 18 (Gold)

Comment

Saw that game, it was "imo" definitely more than the nerves, heck Serbia maybe the best 3x3 nation but definitely the mix of Novi Sad and Liman certainly made latvia a deserving gold medalist as Riga team were perennial bridesmainds in 3x3 circuit..
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
              Saw that game, it was "imo" definitely more than the nerves, heck Serbia maybe the best 3x3 nation but definitely the mix of Novi Sad and Liman certainly made latvia a deserving gold medalist as Riga team were perennial bridesmainds in 3x3 circuit..
              Exclusively nerves. Wrong rotations, shaky hands, Bulut huge choke and giving away responsibility by trying to feed Majstorović non stop in the post. This is what you call counterrhythm and panic. Russians were beaten the day before by Serbia in group by taking their center out of comfort zone under basket - this set failed twice at beginning when Bulut began to flat nerves.

Serbia whiped floor with Latvia. It was one crucial mental breakdown against Russians that were destroyed 24h before. Serbia scored 10 points - lowest ever (!) in 3x3 for both Liman and Novi Sad.

Of course deserved gold for Latvia - who wins wins always deserved - but effectively Serbia took the Bronze for Latvia's Gold.

People here know I am always objective and don't tend to superlatives when it comes to zvezda or Serbia but here the best team - by all parameters - simply went in autodestruction mode. It happens sometimes when you are huge favourite. Not just in streetball. They were that dominant that they simply couldn't overcome the pressure.
              Last edited by Katastroika; 07-28-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

US took the women's gold with an 18-15 win over Russia after defeating France 18-16 in the semis. Final was not as close as the score may indicate as Russia never got closer than three points. US faded defensively late in both games, but ability to draw early fouls and get in the bonus was crucial.
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

I still believe Serbia over achieve with their lineup, they dont have the 6'6 above athletic youg guys like lasmanis, vervoot or van der horst or big bulky guys like karpenkov..Serbia was a good 3x3 team but they have weaknesses that had always been covered by their success..

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                    Exclusively nerves.... shaky hands, Bulut huge choke....

...simply went in autodestruction mode. It happens sometimes when you are huge favourite. Not just in streetball.... they simply couldn't overcome the pressure.
                    Interesting! Every single one of the top four teams in group action suffered from playoff jitters in the first game it played in the Elimination Round. Consider:

Russia 21 Netherlands 19 (QF)
                    Latvia 21 Japan 18 (QF)

Russia 21 Serbia 10 (SF)
                    Latvia 21 Belgium 8 (SF)

Only Latvia won its first playoff game but with a less than impressive 21-18 victory over Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
                      I still believe Serbia over achieve with their lineup, they dont have the 6'6 above athletic youg guys like lasmanis, vervoot or van der horst or big bulky guys like karpenkov..Serbia was a good 3x3 team but they have weaknesses that had always been covered by their success..
                      You overachieve with 3 World Championships and 2 semifinals in last 5 years? Okay! Lucky Serbian streetball - I hope I can overachieve simmilarily in my working career

Here everyone plays street ball - key is that you don't need a above athletic young guy. You need combo guards and swingmen for winning at streetball. All those neandertalic big men a la Netherlands 2019 have less impact than you might think. Lasmanis is more exception of the rule than the rule as he is a pure shooter who is mobile on the legs and can cover drives. There is no player with his qualities in 3x3 World League which makes him really dangerous but besides all calling this an overachievement is pretty big madness, bro. It's an underachievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                        Interesting! Every single one of the top four teams in group action suffered from playoff jitters in the first game it played in the Elimination Round. Consider:

Russia 21 Netherlands 19 (QF)
                        Latvia 21 Japan 18 (QF)

Russia 21 Serbia 10 (SF)
                        Latvia 21 Belgium 8 (SF)

Only Latvia won its first playoff game but with a less than impressive 21-18 victory over Japan.

Believe me after seeing Serbia - Russia day before semifinal (when Russia wasn't qualified so they didn't have possibility to test Serbia - it was must win for them and Serbia was already 1st in group stage - they qualified with quite surprising win afterwards that day) I couldn't believe that this would be a contest if our guys don't autodestroy. Especially if we take into consideration that Novi Sad beat the Russians a million times in last 3 years. Not one loss against them - but the best player(s) - especially Bulut - showed nerves and had worst game in last years at most import game. Which shows that he is no true champion besides incredible career. Simple as that. Big players win big games.

Comment

You overachieve with 3 World Championships and 2 semifinals in last 5 years? Okay! Lucky Serbian streetball - I hope I can overachieve simmilarily in my working career

Here everyone plays street ball - key is that you don't need a above athletic young guy. You need combo guards and swingmen for winning at streetball. All those neandertalic big men a la Netherlands 2019 have less impact than you might think. Lasmanis is more exception of the rule than the rule as he is a pure shooter who is mobile on the legs and can cover drives. There is no player with his qualities in 3x3 World League which makes him really dangerous but besides all calling this an overachievement is pretty big madness, bro. It's an underachievement.
                          Well, I also feel the disappointment but the game is race to 21..wish that games have where its best of 3 sets.. where its really a game of skills and not game of fouls and momentum (serbia got 4 quick fouls to russias none that sets the tone)

As for the bold part we tried that in OQT level and we get worse results

Yup on the Russian didnt win anything other than denying Serbia their Olympic crowning glory..

Comment

I am speaking about top streetbasket teams of course.

And what you mean by "Russians didn't win anything" - Olympic silver?!

Comment

I am speaking about top streetbasket teams of course.

And what you mean by "Russians didn't win anything" - Olympic silver?!
                              They didnt win anything before that "silver"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information