Matas Buzelis Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matas Buzelis Thread

OK, I hope Mindozas won't shut me down with this (probably gone ATM so good timing, LOL), but I just had to create a thread for highest rated Lithuanian prospect to make justice. That's 4th individual player's thread I create on this forum (in 14 years) and this time there's something new! It's not center, it's now forward center (as it was with JV, Domas, Tubelis), it's surely something different. It's 6'9 guy who can handle the ball, who can pass, who can shoot, who has nearly guard skill for his size. ESPN put him at 22th (I think historical moment for any Lithuanian) of 2023 ESPN 60. He's right at the boderline of 5 stars prospects. The word is that he may be just scratching the surface and his value may increase in upcoming few years. I see him projected from 20th to 34th pick at 2024 NBA draft mock. He has bunch (around 10) offers by top colleges as UCLA, Illinois, Gonzaga and so on (interesting that Wildcats after him as well, latest news). He is the son of former Lithuanian basketball player Aidas Buzelis, who worked with NT and has been working with JV for years now as his physical coach, masseur, so his DNR seems to be spot on. Let's see where he will end up and how he'll perform.

Last edited by Straight forward; 07-21-2021, 03:06 PM.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Speaking of genes, his granpa played for Zalgiris and was basketball commenter afterwards. His grandma won European handball Champions Cup in 1967 (co-top scorer in final) and 1968.
    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Most recent look at Buzelis. I like a lot of things (at both ends), while shooting mechanics not entirely convinces me. Off course, thin frame is also visible (sometimes it's a problem, sometimes not). We can't deny the oozing potential, but it's just potential. We will see better picture when he will get a real role in legit NCAA team.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

ESPN has Buzelis as 10th from 2023 class.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

He is ranked top 10 in the whole USA. While Lithuanian coaches sees him as 5th in his 2004 Liths generation Gotta love and bless those fellas

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

New highlights. From this piece it seems like he can shoot. Seems to have a little bit off everything. I would really pay to see how he would fair in real FIBA competition, like U18. Really hard to judge from these rather soft workouts.

2023 PG Matas Buzelis shut down the Crossroads Elite Camp! A top 30 Recruit in the nation has several offers from Power 1 schools. Catch Matas at Brewster Ac...

This is a bit wild review, but, well, so far the guy has been wildly hyped from all over the place, hopefully for a reason. If ESPN put you at 10th, as 5 stars prospect, that's serious. He hypes himself in his instagram as well, it's sort of a new age - very open the the social media - prospect. Let's see how this turns out. Seems to be a hard worker, a good combination of self-love and working out.

Matas Buzelis is a 6-foot-10, 175-pound junior guard out of Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy that ranks among the top 2023 prospects in the country. Buzelis has the size, height and skill to be a potential NBA all-star at just 16-years-old.
            Why Matas Buzelis is special

Elite ball handler
            At 6-10, Matas Buzelis handles the ball like a point guard. In his toolbox of tricks, he has hesitation dribbles and step-back moves that are extremely hard to guard given his seven-foot wingspan. His crossover is quick and deceiving, which is rare in a player that is his size.

Relentless scorer
            Matas Buzelis has the scoring capabilities to take over games. He can shoot off the dribble and spot for 3s. Since he is 6-10 and his shooting release point is higher than any guard, his jump shot is unblockable to the average defender.

Creative Finisher
            Matas Buzelis uses his size and length to impose a variety of finishes against the defense. He can dunk with the right or left hand.
            Buzelis NBA comparison

Kevin Durant is the only player in NBA history that we have seen move with such fluidity at this height. Although Durant is a couple of inches taller than Buzelis, Buzelis is still growing. Just this past summer, he grew 2 inches. Buzelis and Durant have similar play styles. They can shoot the ball at a high-level percentage off the catch and shoot or the bounce. Both are unstoppable when they get one-on-one isolation.
            Where does Matas Buzelis fit best?

Matas Buzelis recruitment is wide open. He has loaded up on offers from almost every top school in the country. The best fit for him would probably be the top three “blue blood” schools: UNC, Kentucky or Duke.

Buzelis is such a high-profile player that he needs to find a school that maximizes his potential on and off the court.

College basketball is no longer just about what the offenses look like at a school but also the brand you can build. It would be best for Buzelis to go to these schools because they are backed by a huge fan base and a long lineage of successful players that have been in his position.

On3’s KJ Smith breaks down why 6-foot-10 guard Matas Buzelis of Brewster Academy is one of the most coveted 2023 prospects in the country.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I won't lie. I thought about KD comparison before reading this review too.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                Buzelis is such a high-profile player that he needs to find a school that maximizes his potential on and off the court.

College basketball is no longer just about what the offenses look like at a school but also the brand you can build. It would be best for Buzelis to go to these schools because they are backed by a huge fan base and a long lineage of successful players that have been in his position.
                Yes, I absolutely agree that Matas Buzelis "needs to find a school that maximizes his potential on and off the court". But then the writer of the article immediately reveals that he doesn't even understand the import of his own words when he indicates that the schools he favours for Buzelis are those that "are backed by a huge fan base and a long lineage of successful players that have been in his position" with nary a word about academic excellence. Buzelis should actually emerge from college with an academic diploma he had to earn by applying himself in the study hall.

Comment

IDK, I think all top schools that Buzelis can pick are also terrific academical education wise. But we have to understand that such guys as Buzelis are all about to succeed as basketball players. He is elite prospect USA wise. I don't think he really cares too much about the quality of his diploma, he cares what is the best road to the top of his basketball career. The way I see it, Buzelis' side should decide whenever he feels he can stand out playing for "blue blood" schools or he wants really solid team as some Tubelis' Arisona where he would have relatively less competition. I think Marciulionis made right decision taking (maybe there was no other options) smaller profile school with some nice success stories while he is not super high floor prospect and Tubelis took solid school where he stood out instantly as he is high floor prospect. I do believe that Buzelis may be high floor high ceiling prospect and thus he should take one of the "blue blood" schools (he's a bit thin though, that's the only problem it seems). Personally, I wish that he would sign with Kentucky or Duke. We never had Lithuanians in such teams.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

As a critical Canadian. I reserve the right to sneer at U.S. schools/colleges treating sports as a business instead of as an extracurricular activity provided to students to enhance their college experience.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-16-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Personally, I wish that he would sign with Kentucky or Duke. We never had Lithuanians in such teams.
                      Actually Martynas Pocius went to Duke:

Lithuanians in the NCAA - RealGM

And of course a whole bunch of Lithuanians have attended universities such as Syracuse or South Carolina competing against Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky in the ACC or SEC leagues.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-16-2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Good find. The problem is that he barely played there...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

That list is sortable by player name, birth date, college, etc. if you click at the top of the columns. Notice though that it doesn't go back far enough for Artūras Karnišovas at Seton Hall, Šarūnas Jasikevičius at Maryland or Marius Janulis at Syracuse.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-16-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

4th for the class of 2023.

The 247Sports rankings are determined by our recruiting analysts after countless hours of personal observations, film evaluation and input from our network of scouts.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

So the guy is ranked 4th globally and 5th locally

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information