Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 460

Thread: 2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

  1. #21
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Obviously Doncic is fantastic but Slovenia in general plays the most like how the US should play of any non-US Olympic team in the modern era, maybe we can get Sekulic as our coach.

    Also will be interesting to see if that plays into the hands of the US if the teams meet later on.
    High Usage basketball
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  2. #22
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,230
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Doncic is the best european player with all respect to Giannis and Jokic.

    Also I think he will be the best ever one day.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Obviously Doncic is fantastic but Slovenia in general plays the most like how the US should play of any non-US Olympic team in the modern era, maybe we can get Sekulic as our coach.

    Also will be interesting to see if that plays into the hands of the US if the teams meet later on.
    To be honest Slovenia without Luka was pretty bad today. Luka +/- 34, Rupnik who played instead of him - 14. Some starters, Blazic and Dragic, pretty awful too.

    I have never seen 1 player to have such impact on NT.

    Pop had Duncan, if he would have had Luka, nobody would have been angry at him.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 07-26-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    previously known as Beno

  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,797
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Of course, I'll gladly take the W, but I liked how we played vs. Lithuania a lot more. That was trully one of the best bball NT performances i've seen.
    All respect to Argentina, but with these TO's, lack of circulation and defensive screw-ups, that won't cut it for Slovenia in the elimination stages.

  5. #25
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    how is it even legal for one player to be this insanely good lmao? Sometimes I do wonder if Doncic is actually from another planet and was genetically engineered by aliens to troll our perception of what a great player should look like...

  6. #26
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Of course, I'll gladly take the W, but I liked how we played vs. Lithuania a lot more. That was trully one of the best bball NT performances i've seen.
    All respect to Argentina, but with these TO's, lack of circulation and defensive screw-ups, that won't cut it for Slovenia in the elimination stages.
    This. Take Luka and maybe Prepelic out and this was pretty bad game from Slovenia.
    previously known as Beno

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    141
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    Doncic is the best european player with all respect to Giannis and Jokic.

    Also I think he will be the best ever one day.
    Best NBA/FIBA player for sure. Not a better overall player than Giannis though.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    141
    Country: United States

    Default

    I was in Slovenia for Eurobasket 2013 and saw first hand what a beautiful basketball country it was. Very happy for the Slovenes. Shout out Erazem Lorbek and Matjaz Smodis.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    Best NBA/FIBA player for sure. Not a better overall player than Giannis though.
    Luka with Jrue and Middleton would had been very near to win Nba this year. His playoff numbers were insane. Mavs just totally fucked up in last years. Not only with KP, who was fair gamble, but everything else was just total failure, ending with Curry/Richardson trade.
    previously known as Beno

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Luka was good. The Slovenian coach may want to rest him in the last match of the 1st round to have him fresh for the elimination games. Yes?

  11. #31
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Luka was good. The Slovenian coach may want to rest him in the last match of the 1st round to have him fresh for the elimination games. Yes?
    No. They would have lost by 30. Nobody wants that. Luka played 5 games/week schedule in Nba, with more minutes and travelling. I believe he can easily play every 2/3 days.
    previously known as Beno

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    No. They would have lost by 30. Nobody wants that. Luka played 5 games/week schedule in Nba, with more minutes and travelling. I believe he can easily play every 2/3 days.
    But that last game is potentially meaningless. Why risk an injury and being forced to play quarterfinals without Luka? If Slovenia manages another +20 points win against Japan, they have the best 2nd place finish in the bag. Exactly the same QFs matchups as if they had won the group.

    Load management.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    But that last game is potentially meaningless. Why risk an injury and being forced to play quarterfinals without Luka? If Slovenia manages another +20 points win against Japan, they have the best 2nd place finish in the bag. Exactly the same QFs matchups as if they had won the group.

    Load management.
    Slovenia was + 34 with Luka and - 16 without him in 9 minutes. Nobody wants to go in elimination games with 30-40 points loss. He might play a little less but not much.
    previously known as Beno

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Slovenia was + 34 with Luka and - 16 without him in 9 minutes. Nobody wants to go in elimination games with 30-40 points loss. He might play a little less but not much.
    Now that I'm checking potential QFs matchups, I'm afraid you're right. I was under the impression that both Spain and Slovenia would benefit by qualifying 1st and best 2nd (which could be achieved by a close game, regardless of the winner). But that outcome will give both teams a 33% chance of facing Team USA in the QFs. By winning by a big margin, either Spain or Slovenia can ensure not only the 1st place, but help Team USA to qualify as best 2nd, and thus remove them from the pool of QFs rivals.

    This is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma: the best outcome is the one that demands taking more risks. If any of these two teams go all out and lose some key player to injury, they can win but still face the same team in QFs as if they had rested and lost.

  15. #35
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    My imaginary sources confirm: after the game Sergio Scariolo called Darius Maskoliunas asking for advice how to contain Doncic

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    151
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Could anybody post full game replay or web site on who could be seen full game replay. Tomorrow I didnt watch Italy- Germany, like today Slovenia- Argentina. There is no chance to wake up at 6 A.M. or to be awake untill 5 A.M. to watch first game. So,I cannot watch first two games, I try to find full game replay and find almost every sport on Olympics except basketball.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    405
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    French team is pretty good. Batum-Yabusele-Gobert is a huge defensive block that can cover everything. Plus some combos with Gobert/Poirier or Fall/Poirier worked out pretty well giving them huge advantage on the glass. If they can be consistently good on defense, I think they can make it to the finals and maybe win it all if USA don't recover from this meltdown.

    Slovenia reminds me of Phoenix Suns during Nash/Stoudemire years. One mastermind and bunch of role players with good finishing abilities that keep on playing simple plays. They can score a lot, but they also get scored on a lot. Extremely fun, but not sure if that's good enough for medal. Size and toughness still matter a lot in knockout games. They have good chances though.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    619
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Link for Japan vs Spain game, if you guys don't have a source.
    https://www.olympicstreams.me/men-s-...live-stream/1/

  19. #39
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    My imaginary sources confirm: after the game Sergio Scariolo called Darius Maskoliunas asking for advice how to contain Doncic

    well, he did "contain" him to abysmal 31, 11 and 13 after all...that's already an achievement in itself I guess lol

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    151
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    I was in Slovenia for Eurobasket 2013 and saw first hand what a beautiful basketball country it was. Very happy for the Slovenes. Shout out Erazem Lorbek and Matjaz Smodis.

    They had probably better generation between 2005-10. Smodis, Lorbek, Becirovic, Dragic, Lakovic, Nachbar, but rarely they had complete squad. Now, they created synergy on wawes of winning Eurobasket 2017. Prepelic, Blazic, Zoran Dragic play better for nt in comparison with their clubs, Doncic is miraculous, so surprisingly they came in situation where are close for some medal.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •