Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Obviously Doncic is fantastic but Slovenia in general plays the most like how the US should play of any non-US Olympic team in the modern era, maybe we can get Sekulic as our coach.

Also will be interesting to see if that plays into the hands of the US if the teams meet later on.
    High Usage basketball
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Doncic is the best european player with all respect to Giannis and Jokic.

Also I think he will be the best ever one day.

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Obviously Doncic is fantastic but Slovenia in general plays the most like how the US should play of any non-US Olympic team in the modern era, maybe we can get Sekulic as our coach.

Also will be interesting to see if that plays into the hands of the US if the teams meet later on.
    To be honest Slovenia without Luka was pretty bad today. Luka +/- 34, Rupnik who played instead of him - 14. Some starters, Blazic and Dragic, pretty awful too.

I have never seen 1 player to have such impact on NT.

Pop had Duncan, if he would have had Luka, nobody would have been angry at him.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 07-26-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    previously known as Beno

Of course, I'll gladly take the W, but I liked how we played vs. Lithuania a lot more. That was trully one of the best bball NT performances i've seen.
    All respect to Argentina, but with these TO's, lack of circulation and defensive screw-ups, that won't cut it for Slovenia in the elimination stages.

how is it even legal for one player to be this insanely good lmao? Sometimes I do wonder if Doncic is actually from another planet and was genetically engineered by aliens to troll our perception of what a great player should look like...

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Of course, I'll gladly take the W, but I liked how we played vs. Lithuania a lot more. That was trully one of the best bball NT performances i've seen.
    All respect to Argentina, but with these TO's, lack of circulation and defensive screw-ups, that won't cut it for Slovenia in the elimination stages.
    This. Take Luka and maybe Prepelic out and this was pretty bad game from Slovenia.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    Doncic is the best european player with all respect to Giannis and Jokic.

Also I think he will be the best ever one day.
    Best NBA/FIBA player for sure. Not a better overall player than Giannis though.

I was in Slovenia for Eurobasket 2013 and saw first hand what a beautiful basketball country it was. Very happy for the Slovenes. Shout out Erazem Lorbek and Matjaz Smodis.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    Best NBA/FIBA player for sure. Not a better overall player than Giannis though.
    Luka with Jrue and Middleton would had been very near to win Nba this year. His playoff numbers were insane. Mavs just totally fucked up in last years. Not only with KP, who was fair gamble, but everything else was just total failure, ending with Curry/Richardson trade.
    previously known as Beno

Luka was good. The Slovenian coach may want to rest him in the last match of the 1st round to have him fresh for the elimination games. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Luka was good. The Slovenian coach may want to rest him in the last match of the 1st round to have him fresh for the elimination games. Yes?
    No. They would have lost by 30. Nobody wants that. Luka played 5 games/week schedule in Nba, with more minutes and travelling. I believe he can easily play every 2/3 days.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    No. They would have lost by 30. Nobody wants that. Luka played 5 games/week schedule in Nba, with more minutes and travelling. I believe he can easily play every 2/3 days.
    But that last game is potentially meaningless. Why risk an injury and being forced to play quarterfinals without Luka? If Slovenia manages another +20 points win against Japan, they have the best 2nd place finish in the bag. Exactly the same QFs matchups as if they had won the group.

Load management.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    But that last game is potentially meaningless. Why risk an injury and being forced to play quarterfinals without Luka? If Slovenia manages another +20 points win against Japan, they have the best 2nd place finish in the bag. Exactly the same QFs matchups as if they had won the group.

Load management.
    Slovenia was + 34 with Luka and - 16 without him in 9 minutes. Nobody wants to go in elimination games with 30-40 points loss. He might play a little less but not much.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Slovenia was + 34 with Luka and - 16 without him in 9 minutes. Nobody wants to go in elimination games with 30-40 points loss. He might play a little less but not much.
    Now that I'm checking potential QFs matchups, I'm afraid you're right. I was under the impression that both Spain and Slovenia would benefit by qualifying 1st and best 2nd (which could be achieved by a close game, regardless of the winner). But that outcome will give both teams a 33% chance of facing Team USA in the QFs. By winning by a big margin, either Spain or Slovenia can ensure not only the 1st place, but help Team USA to qualify as best 2nd, and thus remove them from the pool of QFs rivals.

This is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma: the best outcome is the one that demands taking more risks. If any of these two teams go all out and lose some key player to injury, they can win but still face the same team in QFs as if they had rested and lost.

My imaginary sources confirm: after the game Sergio Scariolo called Darius Maskoliunas asking for advice how to contain Doncic

Could anybody post full game replay or web site on who could be seen full game replay. Tomorrow I didnt watch Italy- Germany, like today Slovenia- Argentina. There is no chance to wake up at 6 A.M. or to be awake untill 5 A.M. to watch first game. So,I cannot watch first two games, I try to find full game replay and find almost every sport on Olympics except basketball.

French team is pretty good. Batum-Yabusele-Gobert is a huge defensive block that can cover everything. Plus some combos with Gobert/Poirier or Fall/Poirier worked out pretty well giving them huge advantage on the glass. If they can be consistently good on defense, I think they can make it to the finals and maybe win it all if USA don't recover from this meltdown.

Slovenia reminds me of Phoenix Suns during Nash/Stoudemire years. One mastermind and bunch of role players with good finishing abilities that keep on playing simple plays. They can score a lot, but they also get scored on a lot. Extremely fun, but not sure if that's good enough for medal. Size and toughness still matter a lot in knockout games. They have good chances though.

Link for Japan vs Spain game, if you guys don't have a source.
    https://www.olympicstreams.me/men-s-...live-stream/1/

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    My imaginary sources confirm: after the game Sergio Scariolo called Darius Maskoliunas asking for advice how to contain Doncic

well, he did "contain" him to abysmal 31, 11 and 13 after all...that's already an achievement in itself I guess lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    I was in Slovenia for Eurobasket 2013 and saw first hand what a beautiful basketball country it was. Very happy for the Slovenes. Shout out Erazem Lorbek and Matjaz Smodis.

They had probably better generation between 2005-10. Smodis, Lorbek, Becirovic, Dragic, Lakovic, Nachbar, but rarely they had complete squad. Now, they created synergy on wawes of winning Eurobasket 2017. Prepelic, Blazic, Zoran Dragic play better for nt in comparison with their clubs, Doncic is miraculous, so surprisingly they came in situation where are close for some medal.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast