Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 460

Thread: 2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

  1. #241
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Dragic was tempted to play in the end, but said it would have been unfair to take place from someone, who played in qualifications..
    Yeah I can see that. Parachuting onto the team after that great performance in Lithuania where such great chemistry and cohesion was formed could arguably seem unfair and even hurt the team. But I am thinking more pre qualification tournament. Miami was eliminated at the end of May so that’s what I was mainly referring to.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

  2. #242
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Yeah I can see that. Parachuting onto the team after that great performance in Lithuania where such great chemistry and cohesion was formed could arguably seem unfair and even hurt the team. But I am thinking more pre qualification tournament. Miami was eliminated at the end of May so that’s what I was mainly referring to.
    He said few years ago that he won't played anymore. Luka and others tried to persuade him, but it didn't happen. I believe he did a mistake, because Olympics would have been great end for his career.
    previously known as Beno

  3. #243
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,612
    Country: United States

    Default

    Maybe next time someone will try a triangle and two with both defenders on Doncic, like some clown tried on Steph Curry in college:

    But Patsos made no apologies for using a triangle-and-two defense on one player.

    “Anybody else ever hold him scoreless?” Patsos said. “I’m a history major. They’re going to remember that we held him scoreless, or we lost by 30?”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/s...7davidson.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  4. #244
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    81
    Country: Argentina

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I remember Scariolo attempting to box and one Durant in the fourth quarter of the Gold medal game in 2012. But there was a play where Lebron had the ball on the right wing and two Spanish defenders stayed with Durant opening up a wide open lane for Lebron to drive and dunk and that was the end of that. Incidentally the only time I can ever remember the strategy being used for an entire game was the 1985 NCAA final 4 when John Thompson’s Georgetown did it to St. John’s Chris Mullin and it did work by limiting his shots and basically shutting him down. But Mullin was a scorer not a facilitator like Luka so not really appropriate.
    Argentina use box and one (against "La Bomba" Navarro) on the game for the 5° spot against Spain in World Cup 2010.
    Why I remember that? It was the only official victory against Spain in 20 years!

  5. #245
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juli_rc View Post
    Argentina use box and one (against "La Bomba" Navarro) on the game for the 5° spot against Spain in World Cup 2010.
    Why I remember that? It was the only official victory against Spain in 20 years!
    Unforgettable games for 5th place. Does anybody know why these games play ?

  6. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,653
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juli_rc View Post
    Argentina use box and one (against "La Bomba" Navarro) on the game for the 5° spot against Spain in World Cup 2010.
    Why I remember that? It was the only official victory against Spain in 20 years!
    Scariolo destroyed Serbia with this combo zone in 2019. He saw it in Toronto as assistant when they played it effectively against Curry. Conclusion? History repeats itself lol

    Btw I really think Slovenia was prepared for that because of Serbia's struggle 2019 to beat that zone when Bogdanović was target of 4+1 zone.

  7. #247
    Senior Member Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Maybe next time someone will try a triangle and two with both defenders on Doncic, like some clown tried on Steph Curry in college:



    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/s...7davidson.html
    What a legend! Secured his place in the history books.

  8. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    81
    Country: Argentina

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja95 View Post
    Unforgettable games for 5th place. Does anybody know why these games play ?
    Back then? I don't known.
    Right now, in the WC define spots for the olympics and pre olympic tournament.

  9. #249
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    81
    Country: Argentina

    Default

    https://twitter.com/javierlanza/stat...00990638645250

    Coach Hernandez, asking "Is this an all star game?" Complaining of ARG bad defence against Japan.

  10. #250
    Senior Member CoachZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,712
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Radonjic employed the Box-and-One with Red Star for several years in Euroleague with fantastic results defensively. The team with the smallest budgets was consistently Top 3 in defense with excellent results in eliminating ball-dominant, PnR heavy guards that rule the league. It is a limited sistem though, because the corner threes are 90% of the time open, regardless of how well you read the game and if for any reason an opponent has a center that can play in the post and pass out of it, its raining threes everywhere. It all depends on who are you playing. I think it was a bad idea to try it on Luka since Slovenia has shooting everywhere.

    Realistically, this tournament is still for USA to lose. I put the best chance of beating USA on France, giving them a 25% chance due to great length and defensive athleticism. If they can slow down the game, they have the best chance. I put Slovenia and Spain around 10%.

  11. #251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    We really missed Juancho out there yesterday. He would have invaluable closing out shooters and boxing out. So close...

    Anyway, three games left. Now there are only two options: ultimate glory, or go home empty handed.

  12. #252
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    By the way, has someone mentioned Doncic's constant pouting and jawing with referees? He even went out of his way during timeouts to whine to them. Somehow never earned a technical. You can tell he played in Spain because he has perfected this technique which isn't used in any other place of the world.

  13. #253
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    By the way, has someone mentioned Doncic's constant pouting and jawing with referees? He even went out of his way during timeouts to whine to them. Somehow never earned a technical. You can tell he played in Spain because he has perfected this technique which isn't used in any other place of the world.
    I have seen your coach whining to Luka in halftime, how he should have gotten 4th foul. The whole Spanish D with just one goal to stop and provoke Luka. Just pathetic to play like that, while having a team like Spain, and like you said before the match, MVP candidate Ricky. I have never in my life seen someone playing zone for 40 minutes. You deserved to lose. Dimec&co destroying your star bigs.

    Talking to referees is more Nba thing than Spanish. Everyone and especially stars are talking to them the whole match. Luka is leading in that department too, he obviously likes LeBron.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 08-02-2021 at 07:44 AM.
    previously known as Beno

  14. #254
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    I have seen your coach whining to Luka in halftime, how he should get 4th foul. The whole Spanish D with just one goal to stop and provoke Luka. Just pathetic to play like that, while having a team like Spain, and like you said before the match, MVP candidate Ricky. I have never in my life seen someone playing zone for 40 minutes. You deserved to lose.
    You deserve to lose for playing a particular defensive schema? Excuse me, but that's quite idiotic. The point I'm trying to make is Spanish players have bee roasted in this board for displaying the same, or even more restrained, attitude as Doncic. But he isn't.

    Now you tell me a coach who isn't continuously talking and arguing with referees trying to get some advantage for his team. It's a part of their job.

    Edited: oh, sorry. You said "whining to Luka". What does that mean? He was asking Luka to call a foul on himself?

  15. #255
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    You deserve to lose for playing a particular defensive schema? Excuse me, but that's quite idiotic. The point I'm trying to make is Spanish players have bee roasted in this board for displaying the same, or even more restrained, attitude as Doncic. But he isn't.

    Now you tell me a coach who isn't continuously talking and arguing with referees trying to get some advantage for his team. It's a part of their job.

    Edited: oh, sorry. You said "whining to Luka". What does that mean? He was asking Luka to call a foul on himself?
    When they went out of the court in halftime, he was visible upset talking to Luka, explaining to him how he made his 4th, 3rd offensive foul, before halftime.

    Yes, a team like Spain should have shown a little bit more than just denying others team star player. MVP candidate Ricky should have shown more than just bricking shot after shot. Your bigs should have shown more. Cacho, Abrines, Abalde...should have shown more. And finally your coach should have had plan B and tried to mix something. You have stopped Luka and have got destroyed by third tier players, who even didn't have good shooting night, just 31% for 3. In normal shooting night, Slovenia would have scored 110+ again. So yes, well deserved lost for Spain.
    previously known as Beno

  16. #256
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,855
    Country: Greece

    Default

    A lot of flopping from Spaniards yesterday, as usually. It's sad to watch such a great team being an expert in such tactics.

  17. #257
    Senior Member HeinrichMohr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    420
    Country: Spain

    Default

    To be honest, i thought before the game that Slovenia was a little more favourite than Spain so the final score is not really shocking for me. Yet, it's true that the box and one for such a long time was a bit risky when you have Cancar, Blazic and Prepelic in the corners and you know they can smash you three after three. On the other hand, speculating with "what if's" is a waste of time. Defending man to man more time would be better? Maybe, or maybe not and you lose by 20 like in 2017. After all, the game was very close and was decided in the very end by a very few details so stating that "Spain deserved to lose" is perhaps a bit too much.

  18. #258
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichMohr View Post
    To be honest, i thought before the game that Slovenia was a little more favourite than Spain so the final score is not really shocking for me. Yet, it's true that the box and one for such a long time was a bit risky when you have Cancar, Blazic and Prepelic in the corners and you know they can smash you three after three. On the other hand, speculating with "what if's" is a waste of time. Defending man to man more time would be better? Maybe, or maybe not and you lose by 20 like in 2017. After all, the game was very close and was decided in the very end by a very few details so stating that "Spain deserved to lose" is perhaps a bit too much.
    Deserved to lose was in context that a big team as Spain, reigning world champions, should have played with more "balls". I have heard how going defender Ricky is, why don't give him a chance to proved it? Maybe not the whole match, but they for sure could have tried something else.
    previously known as Beno

  19. #259
    Senior Member HeinrichMohr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    420
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Deserved to lose was in context that a big team as Spain, reigning world champions, should have played with more "balls".
    When they won in 2019 they weren't not even in the top 4 as USA, Australia, France and Serbia had better squads. They became competitive once again thinking that just defending better than your opponent is the only way as they haven't got the same offensive talent they used to have. So call me mad but i prefer that they keep in mind that they're not better than anyone, it's more healthy. Playing with more balls? You mean bouncing your testicles on the court?

  20. #260
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    When they went out of the court in halftime, he was visible upset talking to Luka, explaining to him how he made his 4th, 3rd offensive foul, before halftime.

    Yes, a team like Spain should have shown a little bit more than just denying others team star player. MVP candidate Ricky should have shown more than just bricking shot after shot. Your bigs should have shown more. Cacho, Abrines, Abalde...should have shown more. And finally your coach should have had plan B and tried to mix something. You have stopped Luka and have got destroyed by third tier players, who even didn't have good shooting night, just 31% for 3. In normal shooting night, Slovenia would have scored 110+ again. So yes, well deserved lost for Spain.
    So, Scariolo talking to Doncic influenced the game in which way? How can you compare that to arguing with referees at timeouts? You can earn a technical for that, and Doncic didn't get one. Actually he got some superstar treatment, with several unclear calls going his way in the second half. Nothing out of the ordinary, I'm not complaining about that; just pointing out the double standard Spanish players are subjec to: had one of them dared complaining as much as Doncic did, he would be singled out in this board for that.

    Just as an example, here you have a Greek complaining about Spain flopping in a completely unremarkable game (regarding to faking fouls), when he surely had nothing to say in 2013 when Tony Parker's magnificent flopping performance earned France a title.

    Anyway, your list of reasons Spain deserved a loss for can be reversed and applied to Slovenia verbatim. It was a coin toss yersterday, had Abalde's last three pointer gone in, every point you make would be moot. What I was saying is, no one deserves a loss by playing within the rules. Zone defenses have weaknesses and strengths, and we experienced both yesterday. It's completely different than using questionable tactics like hacking opponents or intimidating them with hard fouls.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •