2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
    He doesn't need to be with 35.7/7.9/10.3 and 41% for 3, almost all unassisted, with huge volume. Mavs needed someone to play D, secondary guard and secondary scorer. Basically Jrue and Middleton would have been perfect. Nobody is winning title with THJ as second best player and Marjanovic defending pick&roll.
    It’s not a given he’d be able to maintain his conditioning to be at the level required to win 16 playoff games. We saw him wear down in the 2nd half of games in a single series. Not a legitimate conversation till he gets out of the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
      It’s not a given he’d be able to maintain his conditioning to be at the level required to win 16 playoff games. We saw him wear down in the 2nd half of games in a single series. Not a legitimate conversation till he gets out of the first round.
      I kinda doubt that 36/8/10 player is guilty for not coming out of first round, but if MJ had to wait for first title till 28, Luka can too. Maybe we can at least say that Luka is few classes better Fiba player than Giannis?
      previously known as Beno

Comment

It's not about Sunday's game, it's about how will Spain prevent Luka to get favourable switches. Gasol brothers would have probably been killed there, Garuba looks the most promising. I kinda doubt Spain can beat Slovenia playing like against Japan.
        I'll follow that with interest. In the World Cup, after a so-so first round play and a slugfest against Italy, everyone (me included) was doubting Spain. How can they stop Jokic and Bogdanovic? They found a way. How are they going to stop Patty Mills? They found a way. How are they going to stop Scola? They always found a way.

Not saying it's a given Scariolo can solve the Doncic riddle, but at this point I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
          I'll follow that with interest. In the World Cup, after a so-so first round play and a slugfest against Italy, everyone (me included) was doubting Spain. How can they stop Jokic and Bogdanovic? They found a way. How are they going to stop Patty Mills? They found a way. How are they going to stop Scola? They always found a way.

Not saying it's a given Scariolo can solve the Doncic riddle, but at this point I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
          They didn't find the way how to stop Slovenia in semis of Eurobasket. Slovenia plays similar basketball now, no Dragic, but Luka much better than then.
          previously known as Beno

Comment

They didn't find the way how to stop Slovenia in semis of Eurobasket. Slovenia plays similar basketball now, no Dragic, but Luka much better than then.
            Yep, and we didn't find a way to score on France in 2014, then beat them in 2015 and 2016. There's not a lot in common between the teams that squared off 4 years ago. We'll see what happens.

You reminded me of a neat piece of trivia: that was our last loss in a major tournament. And our only loss by more than 10 points since 2014.

Comment

Yep, and we didn't find a way to score on France in 2014, then beat them in 2015 and 2016. There's not a lot in common between the teams that squared off 4 years ago. We'll see what happens.

You reminded me of a neat piece of trivia: that was our last loss in a major tournament. And our only loss by more than 10 points since 2014.
              Yes, Spain is great for a long time, on the other hand Luka is 14:0 with Slovenia.
              previously known as Beno

Comment

Simply, Spain has great players with experience and even they are not in great shape they could do big things.

On the other hand, there a some tournaments in the past to confirm they does not play super-human basketball, in some case Spain had some indecent play and results like against France 2014. or against Russia 2007 or against Serbia 2010 or against Slovenia 2017. Spain very much depends how them match circumstances on a tournament.

Probably, most realistic situation it will be like Olympics 2016 on the other hand for me is closer to failure than success this year. Simply, too old roster, I do not see physical abilities for one more great year and tournament.

Comment

I don't remember more open tournament than this. USA, France, Spain, Australia, Slovenia all have chances and I wouldn't write off at least Italy and Argentina. And with this system we will have some favourites for the medal going against each other in quarters. Totally unpredictable.
                  previously known as Beno

Comment

One of my favorite FIBA games of all time was Slovenia vs Serbia at the 09 Eurobasket. Young Teo. Underhanded Slovenia with Lorbek doing Kevin McHale shit. Whistles were swallowed, hand to hand combat encouraged. Classic affair.
                    Seems to me, you better remember this game than me. How I can remember, both teams had uncompleted roster, we had extremely young team, Slovenia without 3 or 4 leaders ,Lorbek exploded this tournament. Intense game, equal, on extra time Teodosic solved the game and played first big game in career, he almost turned career in wrong way, that brought him enormous rising. Final game was miserable, Spain broke us in any sense , Slovenia lost 3rd place game tightly against Greece so they waited medal until 2017. Who took medal out the hands 2009, them was taken gold medal almost out the hands from old fellow.

Comment

I kinda doubt that 36/8/10 player is guilty for not coming out of first round, but if MJ had to wait for first title till 28, Luka can too. Maybe we can at least say that Luka is few classes better Fiba player than Giannis?
                      Can’t argue that. His coaches have been “a few classes better” too. I know Giannis’s flaws stand out more in FIBA but it would help if the Greek system distinguished between how they use Giannis and Thanasis.

Comment

I don't remember more open tournament than this. USA, France, Spain, Australia, Slovenia all have chances and I wouldn't write off at least Italy and Argentina. And with this system we will have some favourites for the medal going against each other in quarters. Totally unpredictable.
                        Don't discount Italy. They are playing beautiful basketball recently. I love the fact that they running motion offense smoothly - such a unique thjng for a European team.

Comment

I would like to see final Aus-Slo after watching most teams.

But Spain,France,Usa,Italy maybe will have something to say about that.

I rank those 6 teams best in this olympic tournament.

Comment

Can’t argue that. His coaches have been “a few classes better” too. I know Giannis’s flaws stand out more in FIBA but it would help if the Greek system distinguished between how they use Giannis and Thanasis.
                            It's more about the rules. Smaller court, less spacing, different D and especially no 3 seconds defensive rule. You just fill the paint and Giannis will have problems.

Talking about Luka's coaching is a bit exaggerated. Laso was great for his development, Kokoskov made the right system for him and Dragic, but after that their job is really simple. Luka is a system. You just have to surround him with shooters. He's creating everything for himself and others.
                            previously known as Beno

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
                              Don't discount Italy. They are playing beautiful basketball recently. I love the fact that they running motion offense smoothly - such a unique thjng for a European team.
                              The lack of post players may give them some trouble against certain matchups, like France or Spain. But I also like how they play. They're much improved since getting rid of Belinelli and Gentile.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemanja95 View Post
                                Simply, Spain has great players with experience and even they are not in great shape they could do big things.

On the other hand, there a some tournaments in the past to confirm they does not play super-human basketball, in some case Spain had some indecent play and results like against France 2014. or against Russia 2007 or against Serbia 2010 or against Slovenia 2017. Spain very much depends how them match circumstances on a tournament.

Probably, most realistic situation it will be like Olympics 2016 on the other hand for me is closer to failure than success this year. Simply, too old roster, I do not see physical abilities for one more great year and tournament.
                                Well, if I had a dime for each time someone has called the Spanish players washed up, I'd count myself rich. In this very same board you can go back to 2012 (9 years ago, mind you) and find quite a lot of posters claiming Spain's era was over and how Russia was already a better team with a brighter future.

Yes, we have a number of players who have extended their careers much longer than expected. They are not playing that bad, and only 5 games separate them from the gold. Our roster is deep and no single player has to play big minutes or take all the responsibility. As you say, they're not superhuman and can have a bad day and lose against anyone. As every other team. But I'm certain it won't be because any physical limitation. Take a look at the defence played against France, USA, and Japan: sharp and unrelenting. I doubt 5 games is going to take such a great toll, even for the vets.

BTW, bowing out only against the Olympic Champions and going home with a medal can never be considered a failure. What expectations do you have before a tournament? Winning every game by 20+?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information