Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 460

Thread: 2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

  1. #41
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja95 View Post
    They had probably better generation between 2005-10. Smodis, Lorbek, Becirovic, Dragic, Lakovic, Nachbar, but rarely they had complete squad. Now, they created synergy on wawes of winning Eurobasket 2017. Prepelic, Blazic, Zoran Dragic play better for nt in comparison with their clubs, Doncic is miraculous, so surprisingly they came in situation where are close for some medal.
    Nobody is beating Slovenia when Luka plays like today. The problem will start, when he has an average game by his standards, because there's nobody, who can replace his scoring and playmaking. If Goran was playing, Slovenia would have been favourite for the medal, maybe even gold, now this team is Luka and friends, Luka will need to have 3 great games in elimination phase.
    previously known as Beno

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Nobody is beating Slovenia when Luka plays like today. The problem will start, when he has an average game by his standards, because there's nobody, who can replace his scoring and playmaking. If Goran was playing, Slovenia would have been favourite for the medal, maybe even gold, now this team is Luka and friends, Luka will need to have 3 great games in elimination phase.
    Reminds me to Dirk's Germany. They had some success but never won it all.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,908
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    No. They would have lost by 30. Nobody wants that. Luka played 5 games/week schedule in Nba, with more minutes and travelling. I believe he can easily play every 2/3 days.
    These fellows are supposed to be superbly conditioned professional athletes. Playing every two to three days should NOT tax a basketball player, unless perhaps he's well beyond the age of forty.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    151
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Nobody is beating Slovenia when Luka plays like today. The problem will start, when he has an average game by his standards, because there's nobody, who can replace his scoring and playmaking. If Goran was playing, Slovenia would have been favourite for the medal, maybe even gold, now this team is Luka and friends, Luka will need to have 3 great games in elimination phase.
    Mostly, I agree. But this year circumstances match to Slovenia, Usa will take medal, one of Spain and France, one of them could fail and if fail, opponents for medal will be Argentina, Italy, Germany and Australia. This is not so tough.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja95 View Post
    Mostly, I agree. But this year circumstances match to Slovenia, Usa will take medal, one of Spain and France, one of them could fail and if fail, opponents for medal will be Argentina, Italy, Germany and Australia. This is not so tough.
    Before we see quarterfinal schedule, we cannot even guess anything. Anyone can go out before semis, USA included. I'm not even sure that USA is worse matchup for Slovenia than France. Gobert closing the paint looks more scary to me than those American superstar chuckers.
    previously known as Beno

  6. #46
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    These fellows are supposed to be superbly conditioned professional athletes. Playing every two to three days should NOT tax a basketball player, unless perhaps he's well beyond the age of forty.
    What Luka is doing is not something normal though. His usage is insane. On the other hand, he has lost some weight in last month. 4 difficult games in 7 days is still a lot.
    previously known as Beno

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007
    Country: United States

    Default

    My predictions

    Pretenders that will lose in quarters or if meet with each other will lose in semis and not medal:

    Usa, Australia, Argentina

    Medal contenders:

    Spain, Slovenia, France, Italy

    #1 Spain (it’s finally their time)
    #2 Italy. (They will make a run like ‘04)
    #3 France
    #4 Slovenia
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    I think it's still too early to make predictions. I don't know if Spain is going to medal, but I'm enjoying this sweet period before the old guard rides into the sunset; hopefully with some weight around their necks. Throughout exhibition games and today against Japan you can clearly see the guidelines of this team, building upon 2019 success while adding even more useful pieces. We have a style that is both efficient and suited to our player's strengths. And we stick to it against every opponent, big or small. The buy-in from players and coaches is complete. This is a stark contrast against other teams which look discombobulated (like USA or Argentina), or depend on a couple stars (like Slovenia or Japan).

    In the end, small details can decide tournaments, and Spain can easily fall in quarterfinals like it has been our fate in other tournaments that begun auspiciously enough. But the confidence and commitment to a greater goal that this roster is displaying, that's satisfying enough if we keep it, even in a loss.

    BTW, you may want to add Ricky Rubio to your MVP ballots. What he's doing this summer is outstanding so far. Dominated France, USA, and now Japan while only playing around 20 minutes. All while playing defence, unlike other MVP candidates...

  9. #49
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    My predictions

    Pretenders that will lose in quarters or if meet with each other will lose in semis and not medal:

    Usa, Australia, Argentina

    Medal contenders:

    Spain, Slovenia, France, Italy

    #1 Spain (it’s finally their time)
    #2 Italy. (They will make a run like ‘04)
    #3 France
    #4 Slovenia
    If Slovenia makes semis, Luka won't lose 2 games in a row.

    I still have USA favourites, than France and Slovenia. But a lot depends on a draw.
    previously known as Beno

  10. #50
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    I think it's still too early to make predictions. I don't know if Spain is going to medal, but I'm enjoying this sweet period before the old guard rides into the sunset; hopefully with some weight around their necks. Throughout exhibition games and today against Japan you can clearly see the guidelines of this team, building upon 2019 success while adding even more useful pieces. We have a style that is both efficient and suited to our player's strengths. And we stick to it against every opponent, big or small. The buy-in from players and coaches is complete. This is a stark contrast against other teams which look discombobulated (like USA or Argentina), or depend on a couple stars (like Slovenia or Japan).

    In the end, small details can decide tournaments, and Spain can easily fall in quarterfinals like it has been our fate in other tournaments that begun auspiciously enough. But the confidence and commitment to a greater goal that this roster is displaying, that's satisfying enough if we keep it, even in a loss.

    BTW, you may want to add Ricky Rubio to your MVP ballots. What he's doing this summer is outstanding so far. Dominated France, USA, and now Japan while only playing around 20 minutes. All while playing defence, unlike other MVP candidates...
    Let's see how they will play against Slovenia. They were clear favourites in 2017, but it turned out very different.

    I kinda doubt that Pg, who gets 11 rebounds and 3 blocks doesn't play D.
    previously known as Beno

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post

    I still have USA favourites, .
    I don’t see it. Not with the state of mind and lack of confidence this team currently is experiencing that won’t be fixed with wins against Iran and the Czech Republic. Not to mention the cantankerous, pompous fool running the team that would rather go down with the ship than actually change his methods. Put all this together and I cannot see them winning three consecutive knockout games. In all honestly I think there’s a better chance they lose to the Czech Republic and get eliminated than them running the table and winning 5 in a row. Either way they’ll most likely lose in the quarterfinals and Popovich can have the honor of leading the worst World Championships and Olympic Usa teams ever. He deserves that accolade.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

  12. #52
    Efes fan Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    7,802
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    ...I don't know if Spain is going to medal, but I'm enjoying this sweet period before the old guard rides into the sunset; hopefully with some weight around their necks...
    hey this is a beautiful imagery... and describes the situation very well.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Let's see how they will play against Slovenia. They were clear favourites in 2017, but it turned out very different.

    I kinda doubt that Pg, who gets 11 rebounds and 3 blocks doesn't play D.
    The group phase game against Slovenia means nothing. You tell me how important were those early blowout wins against Argentina in 2004, Russia in 2007, or France in 2014. If both teams advance far enough and square off again, it will be a completely new game.

    My not-so-subtle dig was directed to Lillard and KD, but now that you mention it, Luka has to pace himself and obviously is not as active defensively as Rubio; who can go all out knowing he only has to play half the game. That doesn't prevent him from getting some highlights, but Sekulic is not giving him the toughest assignments routinely.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    656
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    hey this is a beautiful imagery... and describes the situation very well.

    Thanks. I'm usually content if my NT plays well and advances as much as possible (humbly says the fan of a team hoarding 2 WCs, 3 Euros and 2 Olympic Finals). But this time I'm more emotionally attached because the idea of Pau, Marc and Rudy earning a golden retirement is too attractive not to.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,908
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Now that I'm checking potential QFs matchups, I'm afraid you're right. I was under the impression that both Spain and Slovenia would benefit by qualifying 1st and best 2nd (which could be achieved by a close game, regardless of the winner). But that outcome will give both teams a 33% chance of facing Team USA in the QFs. By winning by a big margin, either Spain or Slovenia can ensure not only the 1st place, but help Team USA to qualify as best 2nd, and thus remove them from the pool of QFs rivals.

    This is a bit like the prisoner's dilemma: the best outcome is the one that demands taking more risks. If any of these two teams go all out and lose some key player to injury, they can win but still face the same team in QFs as if they had rested and lost.
    I don't understand the thinking behind changing the format for qualifying for the playoffs. How can the two "best" third place teams be determined when the teams don't play the same opponents?

    And secondly when was a deserving team ever eliminated from the playoffs in the past? After all, teams with 2-3 records can hardly be classified as "deserving". If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Why don't people ever learn from this simple adage?


  16. #56
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    The group phase game against Slovenia means nothing. You tell me how important were those early blowout wins against Argentina in 2004, Russia in 2007, or France in 2014. If both teams advance far enough and square off again, it will be a completely new game.

    My not-so-subtle dig was directed to Lillard and KD, but now that you mention it, Luka has to pace himself and obviously is not as active defensively as Rubio; who can go all out knowing he only has to play half the game. That doesn't prevent him from getting some highlights, but Sekulic is not giving him the toughest assignments routinely.
    Luka is not getting toughest assignments, but his rebounding is crucial. He was something like 6th rebounder in Eurobasket too. He's for sure above average team defender.

    It's not about Sunday's game, it's about how will Spain prevent Luka to get favourable switches. Gasol brothers would have probably been killed there, Garuba looks the most promising. I kinda doubt Spain can beat Slovenia playing like against Japan.
    previously known as Beno

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,533
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    hey this is a beautiful imagery... and describes the situation very well.
    Question is "old guard" to old and can the younger players make up for it. The younger talent is somewhat lacking now especially with no Juancho.
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
    2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019
    Winner! 2020 Olympics Prediction Game

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    141
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Luka with Jrue and Middleton would had been very near to win Nba this year. His playoff numbers were insane. Mavs just totally fucked up in last years. Not only with KP, who was fair gamble, but everything else was just total failure, ending with Curry/Richardson trade.
    There isn’t a situation on earth that would put Luka close to the same level as Giannis defensively.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    141
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja95 View Post
    They had probably better generation between 2005-10. Smodis, Lorbek, Becirovic, Dragic, Lakovic, Nachbar, but rarely they had complete squad. Now, they created synergy on wawes of winning Eurobasket 2017. Prepelic, Blazic, Zoran Dragic play better for nt in comparison with their clubs, Doncic is miraculous, so surprisingly they came in situation where are close for some medal.
    One of my favorite FIBA games of all time was Slovenia vs Serbia at the 09 Eurobasket. Young Teo. Underhanded Slovenia with Lorbek doing Kevin McHale shit. Whistles were swallowed, hand to hand combat encouraged. Classic affair.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Killer Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    6,506
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    There isn’t a situation on earth that would put Luka close to the same level as Giannis defensively.
    He doesn't need to be with 35.7/7.9/10.3 and 41% for 3, almost all unassisted, with huge volume. Mavs needed someone to play D, secondary guard and secondary scorer. Basically Jrue and Middleton would have been perfect. Nobody is winning title with THJ as second best player and Marjanovic defending pick&roll.
    previously known as Beno

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •