Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Men's Olympic Tournament

Spain also locked in a tight handball quarterfinal with Sweden...which one are more people watching in Spain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

These refs are a joke. The amount of soft fouls... Let the guys play!
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Not sure why Garuba is getting so much time on court, he has been a liability offensively. Surely even a 41-year old Pau would be preferable?

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    This. Key question for me, too.
    well...answer is now obvious. As it was

Well, Spaniard's fatigue and US team's superior athleticism was obvious in the second half. Well deserved victory for USA.

Usa is playing better and better with every game.

Big game come KD 29pts

Spain simply didn't have the individual talent to keep up with the US once they pulled away. Most key players are past their prime, but still put up a great fight.

Ricky Rubio playing like in his junior tournament days, 38 puntazos. He used to be tentative with his shooting ever since he turned pro, but playing with incredible confidence at the moment and hitting very difficult shots.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

watching this Spain US game and if someone still tells me current Spain stars aren't manufactured products they need a good slap in their face to finally wake up lol

Chapeau to Rubio, even though someone is going to be all "they were +9 without him". Rodriguez had a nice game too...Spain just has too many players that can't handle the fast pace for 40 minutes though.

Good sign that the US played their best ball of the tournament under pressure in the second half, we are starting to play the right style, hopefully we can do it for four quarters sometime. Need to have KD do his thing every game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

When you play a good first half but yet the Americans manage to tie the game 43-43, you know then it's a matter of time that they wake up and make their shooting count. That's the feeling i got at halftime.

I HATE this tournament format...and yeah, it's been talked about a lot on here, but there is no reason the USA and Spain should've met in the quarterfinals. Unfortunately, it's here to stay given that the NBA and Euroleague are against their star players playing extra matches for fear of injury.

I was a bit surprised that Spain didn't try with some exotic zone experiment vs. USA, after they played zone 40 minutes against Slovenia. With the way US were playing some break wasting them some seconds in the first 2-3 plays would be nice, not to mention US scored at will in the 3rd quarter, surely it wouldn't be that much of a risk.

Spain was too slow and too Rubio oriented, eventhough the way US stopped everyone else is pretty scary and it didn't seem much of a choice.

Germany is a pretty underated team, with good mobile bigs (and many more that didn't appear), but the game nowadays favours the teams with balance towards guards and Lo doesn't cut it, especially if Blažič is in a pitbull defensive mode.
    In any way, great to reach the semifinals, but I have a feeling that in the semifinals, especialy against France, we'd need to play at least one gear up.

Bob, I disagree with the notion it's Luka and none else. There is no secret that Spain and France have a notably better individual level of players, but apart from those 2, which countries exactly are that superior to the perimeter with Prepelič, Blažič, Dragič? Some are at the same level, most not, none of those are stars either or as you say "1st tier", but it's not exactly those 3 wouldn't be playing in almost majority of european NT's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Federoy View Post
    I HATE this tournament format...and yeah, it's been talked about a lot on here, but there is no reason the USA and Spain should've met in the quarterfinals. Unfortunately, it's here to stay given that the NBA and Euroleague are against their star players playing extra matches for fear of injury.
    I see nothing wrong with the format.It eliminates the shameful tanking and manipulation that was goin on in previous tournaments.One change i'd make is that i wouldn't put the "teams from same group can't be drawn against each other" restriction.Australia for example topped their group and earned their right to face Germany in quarters,what does it matter if they were in the same group.

People have different opinions about the formats but i don't like the one used in most team sports and in Basketball until this year.Teams play 5 group games only for two out of six to be eliminated and then it doesnt really matter because it all comes down to a single game in the quarterfinals.If you want to return to groups of six you got to give more of a reward to teams that finish first.Personally i'd be in favor of top 2 of each group qualifying straight to the semis.Teams that finished 3rd-4th could play for 5-8 positions and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    I was a bit surprised that Spain didn't try with some exotic zone experiment vs. USA, after they played zone 40 minutes against Slovenia. With the way US were playing some break wasting them some seconds in the first 2-3 plays would be nice, not to mention US scored at will in the 3rd quarter, surely it wouldn't be that much of a risk.

Spain was too slow and too Rubio oriented, eventhough the way US stopped everyone else is pretty scary and it didn't seem much of a choice.

Germany is a pretty underated team, with good mobile bigs (and many more that didn't appear), but the game nowadays favours the teams with balance towards guards and Lo doesn't cut it, especially if Blažič is in a pitbull defensive mode.
    In any way, great to reach the semifinals, but I have a feeling that in the semifinals, especialy against France, we'd need to play at least one gear up.

Bob, I disagree with the notion it's Luka and none else. There is no secret that Spain and France have a notably better individual level of players, but apart from those 2, which countries exactly are that superior to the perimeter with Prepelič, Blažič, Dragič? Some are at the same level, most not, none of those are stars either or as you say "1st tier", but it's not exactly those 3 wouldn't be playing in almost majority of european NT's.
    I don't know, if they would have made roster, but they for sure wouldn't have roles as important as in Slovenia. Same goes for Euroleague's teams. They're fringe Euroleague players, not really interesting for big clubs. Prepelic was 1 season in Real, but didn't really get a chance and was quickly sent away. I agree that they look very well this year, but they benefit a lot from playing with Luka. Firstly because all the opponents attention is on Luka and secondly because Slovenia is rolling. So yes, it's a team not just Luka anymore, but that team was impossible to build without Luka.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Federoy View Post
    Why not? If Spain had won their match with Slovenia, they wouldn't have met. If USA was first in their group, chances of a match between them would have been smaller. I don't see a problem.
    previously known as Beno

Italy shooting 21% for 3.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    I don't know, if they would have made roster, but they for sure wouldn't have roles as important as in Slovenia. Same goes for Euroleague's teams. They're fringe Euroleague players, not really interesting for big clubs. Prepelic was 1 season in Real, but didn't really get a chance and was quickly sent away. I agree that they look very well this year, but they benefit a lot from playing with Luka. Firstly because all the opponents attention is on Luka and secondly because Slovenia is rolling. So yes, it's a team not just Luka anymore, but that team was impossible to build without Luka.
    Yeah, they're fringe euroleague players, none of them are all round players either and each and every one of them with glaring weaknesses you can't miss. However there are very few europeans that aren't fringe in that aspect. And I'll dare saying a notable portion/thanks for some of those players developing into stars are the domestic quotas some teams were forced or prefered to use.
    For example Isaiah Cordinier, if France had 3 teams in euroleague, it wouldn't be realistic he would not be an euroleague player. If he was Spanish, I believe he would also likely already play in euroleague as well, not to mention numerous understacked countries. If Cordinier was Belgian, Slovenian, Latvian, Polish, Croatian or coming from other non-EL country, he would likely still get there, but would have to show some % more than some native player.
    That's one example, I am also a big fan of Pajola, but that would be a lenghtly conversation, he is still young and he'll eventually grow into a first tier with Virtus imo.

The thing is, there are just so few european guards, even 2nd tier ones, that the backcourt listed above surprisingly isn't even remotely bad in these NT competitions.

Than there are differences between NBA and fiba bball, that makes me wonder if every NBA player is automaticaly a star in fiba competition. Of course, Ntilikina is the first one to come to mind. Čančar and Mannion in the opposite direction.

And of course whole Slovenian team heavily benefits from Dončič. As they did from Dragič. But than again, they also won the eurobasket without both of them in the last minutes. Might be a fluke, but respectable nevertheless.
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 08-03-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

France survives a surprising fight from Italy setting up a great France/Slovenia matchup.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Italy could have easily won that, but not with shooting like that. France with 20 TOs pretty bad too.
    previously known as Beno

You will feel the wrath of this format if the prime Lithuania, Serbia and Greek teams had qualified
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast