Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    So it was an analytically winnable game.. oks na yan..
    Yep aside from the shooting we did pretty well on the other facets of the game. We had more rebounds, we scored more on the paint, we had more second chance points and etc.

for me, Matt Nieto starting the game messed up the team hierarchy. Matt is not in any shape to compete, clearly no strength against the toughness of Egypt guards. SJ is gung ho and was given chances. RJ was not able to settle. so Tab already went to Plan D with Dwight as main PG and Thirdy as secondary ballhandler, SJ as reliever. the 5 that trimmed it down to 6 at the 4th was Thirdy, Dwight, Dave I, Go, Ange. this has to be a tryout between Matt vs SJ vs RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    We actually bricked from the charity stripe. SMH
    maybe we could grant citizenship to the japanese robot who shoots 3pts and fts during halftime? im.sure its under 16 lols, kidding aside they really need to work on their fts
    Ducks fly together!

Got to learn to win without kai. Ramos is ordinary against higher level, physical opponents. Thirdy needs a good PG. Kouame is at best a backup big and will play better with kai. Wala bang press break plays si tab? Its not about height, campazzo is below 6ft but no press can contain him.

Quote Originally Posted by noyce View Post
    for me, Matt Nieto starting the game messed up the team hierarchy. Matt is not in any shape to compete, clearly no strength against the toughness of Egypt guards. SJ is gung ho and was given chances. RJ was not able to settle. so Tab already went to Plan D with Dwight as main PG and Thirdy as secondary ballhandler, SJ as reliever. the 5 that trimmed it down to 6 at the 4th was Thirdy, Dwight, Dave I, Go, Ange. this has to be a tryout between Matt vs SJ vs RJ.
    I agree, I believe that it would have been a different game if someone else was point guard on the opening moments. We started the game with fucking 3 turnovers with matt. Hoping to see him bounce back the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    maybe we could grant citizenship to the japanese robot who shoots 3pts and fts during halftime? im.sure its under 16 lols, kidding aside they really need to work on their fts
    LOL the Lakers are entertaining a trade between Kuzma and the Robot as we speak. Bullshit aside, It cant get any worse than this. If they somehow replicate this shooting in the next 4 group games I would really be surprised. It is rare to see any national team in the world shoot so poorly from free throws let alone from this Gilas team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    When players fail to convert open and easy shots whether it is an open 3 or a layup it will mess up with their rhythm. I just don't think it was a cohesive issue, sure it is one of the factors but it was not a major reason why they lost. Failing to hit open shots from well executed sets by the team will lead to hesitation and overthinking. Believe me, it would have been a different game if they converted the open shots at least. Shooting 34 percent in the charity stripe and 14 percent is on the shooting not the cohesion. Anyways it was an ugly game for gilas and I do think that there is no way they are replicating this shooting performance. We did outrebound them by 7. Looking forward for tomorrow's game.
    I think it affects a significant portion of how a team dictates the pace of the game, it is quite typical of an asian team imo, at least if you're not making your open shots, you should also limit the opponent's ability to make theirs by commiting less turnovers than them and defending properly, it is the overall mindset in the game that allowed the deficit to grow so large. There is also a complete lack of leadership and energy, in the first Korea game it was Sotto who broke the cold spell, in Indonesia, Lopez and Baltazar in the 2nd Korea game it was Ramos, always allowing the team to either comeback or maintain the lead, in this game absolutely noone was willing to step up when the game was still winable. There is still a lot of organic elements in basketball which previous iterations of gilas had in abundance that this team is currently missing.

Did Egypt's NBA player (Nader) suit up?

I was always emphasizing that Gilas needs a PG that is at least older than 25. DomRep gave everyone the blueprint on how to kick Gilas' ass. Until we upgrade that PG pos, this Gilas team would be shaky even in 2023. 2023 is already around the corner and no amount of games would make Matt, SJ and RJ ready for world class competitions. Kai also give a different AURA to Gilas both on offense and defense. Opponents also respect Gilas more when Kai is around. Our front court were world class with Kai and without Kai it is thin and mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    I think it affects a significant portion of how a team dictates the pace of the game, it is quite typical of an asian team imo, at least if you're not making your open shots, you should also limit the opponent's ability to make theirs by commiting less turnovers than them and defending properly, it is the overall mindset in the game that allowed the deficit to grow so large. There is also a complete lack of leadership and energy, in the first Korea game it was Sotto who broke the cold spell, in Indonesia, Lopez and Baltazar in the 2nd Korea game it was Ramos, always allowing the team to either comeback or maintain the lead, in this game absolutely noone was willing to step up when the game was still winable. There is still a lot of organic elements in basketball which previous iterations of gilas had in abundance that this team is currently missing.
    We had 5 more turnovers than them and in a close game every possession counts, what I like about these turnovers though are that most of these are from strips rather than poor passes. Lack of leadership is normal from a young team and players must step to the occasion. We can't rely on Sotto, Lopez or Ramos to start the engine. In fairness they did execute their plays, they just could not hit their shots especially that ugly 14 percent from three. Imagine a game where only Isaac was the consistent option from 3 rather than heading or ramos. Anyways this is their first game and I never expected them to shoot 34 fucking percent from the free throw line. If they hit at least 75 percent of these alone this would have been a 2pt game on that end only. They must get their heads back on the next 4 games if they want to win this tournament.

I think without Kai our frontcourt might as well be non-existent. Kouame is not a player that takesover and Chiu I don't even know what instructions he receives from Tab but he's a non-factor, pair that with a horrid undersized front court(SJ, RJ and the Nieto bros? yeesh, these guys also reallyyyy loves to score) and you have what you see now as well as every other first half that this team has played so far.

Lol Zaid abbas and Al dwairi is playing for jordan in Kings Cup.. medyo malaki siguro bigayan dito pag nanalo..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by PeeZones View Post
    I was always emphasizing that Gilas needs a PG that is at least older than 25. DomRep gave everyone the blueprint on how to kick Gilas' ass. Until we upgrade that PG pos, this Gilas team would be shaky even in 2023. 2023 is already around the corner and no amount of games would make Matt, SJ and RJ ready for world class competitions. Kai also give a different AURA to Gilas both on offense and defense. Opponents also respect Gilas more when Kai is around. Our front court were world class with Kai and without Kai it is thin and mediocre.
    Honestly 2 years is more than enough to prepare our PGs but if they are not up to the task then there are always plenty of options whether it is Dalph, other talented PGs or even Dwight. In fairness our front court was decent against Egypt especially on the rebounding and the opponent's percentage from 2s. As much as I like Kai, it was not like he played 30 mins per game. Dude needs to work on his gas tank, he was limited to 20 per game. Kouame and Issac really held up in this game. Our frontcourt is good enough for this tournament. We just need to hit our marks better.

This tournament should make it clear to Tab that he should move on from considering Matt RJ SJ at the point. Kiefer and Dalph appear to have the inside track for 2023 given the performance of these three.

We had 5 more turnovers than them and in a close game every possession counts, what I like about these turnovers though are that most of these are from strips rather than poor passes. Lack of leadership is normal from a young team and players must step to the occasion. We can't rely on Sotto, Lopez or Ramos to start the engine. In fairness they did execute their plays, they just could not hit their shots especially that ugly 14 percent from three. Imagine a game where only Isaac was the consistent option from 3 rather than heading or ramos. Anyways this is their first game and I never expected them to shoot 34 fucking percent from the free throw line. If they hit at least 75 percent of these alone this would have been a 2pt game on that end only. They must get their heads back on the next 4 games if they want to win this tournament.
    Nothing ever really pans out perfectly man, as unexpected as 34% from the line is, if you're seeing your teammates shooting like that, your instincts should be telling you to haul ass, fuck the plays, what should I do if the plays are working but my teammates are bricking anyways? Perhaps it's time to just get the damn ball and make some buckets. This kind of instinctiveness and assertiveness is what players like Kiefer, Romeo, Bolick and other pba players excells in, for now this team got no players like that, they're too damn obedient, basketball isnt chess, it's still 50% talent 50% system, your system should only maximize the talent, it's not something that can win games by itself, everyone need to realize that from coaching staff to players.

I think without Kai our frontcourt might as well be non-existent. Kouame is not a player that takesover and Chiu I don't even know what instructions he receives from Tab but he's a non-factor, pair that with a horrid undersized front court(SJ, RJ and the Nieto bros? yeesh, these guys also reallyyyy loves to score) and you have what you see now as well as every other first half that this team has played so far.
    We just need to develop better 4s or Cs. In fairness we are still fine on our 3 and 5 but we are definitely missing Kai. I don't think Go is good enough on better competition but he is in fairness okay in the asian level. Tamayo, Balty, Kouame are solid players in the front court, Kai is our missing piece in this game. Chiu so far from his games will still need a year or 2 to be a decent backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Did Egypt's NBA player (Nader) suit up?
    di syempre..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

They will be fine. It is a good time to experiment. But they really have to improve there free throw shooting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nothing ever really pans out perfectly man, as unexpected as 34% from the line is, if you're seeing your teammates shooting like that, your instincts should be telling you to haul ass, fuck the plays, what should I do if the plays are working but my teammates are bricking anyways? Perhaps it's time to just get the damn ball and make some buckets. This kind of instinctiveness and assertiveness is what players like Kiefer, Romeo, Bolick and other pba players excells in, for now this team got no players like that, they're too damn obedient, basketball isnt chess, it's still 50% talent 50% system, your system should only maximize the talent, it's not something that can win games by itself, everyone need to realize that from coaching staff to players.
    This will definitely be addressed by the coaching staff and the players. We did see more mid range shots by SJ and Dwight in the 4th but it was a too late. Players need to develop this part of the game, even the top teams in the world will also shift to iso in a few possessions especially when the offense is dry. We see Rubio isolating or mills shooting a step back three or even togashi pulling a deep 3. But they should definitely hit their marks in the free throw man, it is embarrassing for any fucking national team to shoot 34 percent. This ain't no elementary game.

We just need to develop better 4s or Cs. In fairness we are still fine on our 3 and 5 but we are definitely missing Kai. I don't think Go is good enough on better competition but he is in fairness okay in the asian level. Tamayo, Balty, Kouame are solid players in the front court, Kai is our missing piece in this game. Chiu so far from his games will still need a year or 2 to be a decent backup.
    I see Baltazar and Tamayo's games regressing if we dont find a decent backup big asap. It's the Kai-Kouame-Go-Chiu rotations that allows these 2 to deviate from playing like the traditional bigman on the court. I'm still scratching my head as to why Rangel was cut in favor of the overconcentrated pool of midget guards, it would've been much preferable even if the dude ends up playing like Justin Chua.

Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast