Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1559

Thread: Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

So IMO,I think Gilas knows,who's who for this team.At 5 its Angelo and Kai,at 4 they gotta have a healthy AJ,does he need a backup at 4,not really since Tab likes to play Kai at 4,so that he can have more minutes and not cool down while at the bench.So the 3 positions should be three players,Balti is a shoo-in and he can play a stretch 4 in short burst if needed,Tamayo is in and they need another tall player can't be shorter than 6'7.That takes care of the bigs,on the 2 or combo guard,Clarkson is a must,Dwight with more experience both local and international is in,Ildefonso is good and steady,I'm looking for a SG/SF combo ites either Paras or Lopez.At point gotta be nobody shorter than 6'2,to get a better vision in passing alone,so Dalp and a much improved 6'5 Cholo,these two are not the ball hogged type dribble,dribble PG and they can turn on the firepower when its needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPilipinas View Post
    Good tournament for the team definitely good learning experience for the boys.

Dwight, thirdy and navarro played really bad this tournament and for me thats very disappointing sila yung dapat steady e.

Tamayo, baltazar and dave showed their potential.

We need Kai, AJ and Steady PG to be Successful.
    Good experience for Gilas. A bit disappointing nga lang with the results. Coach Tab was right when he said that it won't be smooth sailing always for Gilas on its journey. There would be lots of humps & stumbling blocks a long the way but we just have to trust the system & just hang on there. Of course the team needs some fixing & retooling. I'm pretty sure coach Tab & his coaching staff would be pondering & discussing what certain aspects need to be addressed, improved or corrected. Maybe its better that the team & some players' flaws are exposed in this tournament. Its better to discover & determined those things early.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

All I see on Cholos highlights arent point god skills.. puro dakdak lang nakikita ko
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    What if by some sick joke our favorite Padrigao was the tall, two-way point guard we are looking for all along?
    Two way player patalo in ofense patalo pa in defense? Joke...guy is built like Ricci rivero pero Regal Baby din baka mag artista din haha
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Two way player patalo in ofense patalo pa in defense? Joke...guy is built like Ricci rivero pero Regal Baby din baka mag artista din haha
    Haha never say never. Pag ito nadevelop ni Tab as a really good PG, baka magulat tayo lahat.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    All I see on Cholos highlights arent point god skills.. puro dakdak lang nakikita ko
    Perhaps partly becoz of too much "streetball" mentality of some of these basketball bloggers. Yung mentality kasi ng iba dyan eh, pag magaling mag dunk ang player, magaling na mag basketball. They would only feature those rim rattling slams of a player like Kobe Paras or Cholo Anonuevo but won't show basic & simple moves like a pull-up jump shot from 17 feet or a good drive to the lane.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Good experience for Gilas. A bit disappointing nga lang with the results. Coach Tab was right when he said that it won't be smooth sailing always for Gilas on its journey. There would be lots of humps & stumbling blocks a long the way but we just have to trust the system & just hang on there. Of course the team needs some fixing & retooling. I'm pretty sure coach Tab & his coaching staff would be pondering & discussing what certain aspects need to be addressed, improved or corrected. Maybe its better that the team & some players' flaws are exposed in this tournament. Its better to discover & determined those things early.
    The important thing is experience, especially against MENA teams. All of the team's games have been with East and Southeast Asian teams. (And one Americas + one Euro)

This is still a very young team that has faced teams who already season veterans. Al-Duwairi is already 28 after all.

This is a sign that the SBP needs to be more proactive in developing a large pool of players.

Aside from the option of joining the PBA as a guest team, the SBP should look into inviting other national teams for friendly tournaments.

In fact, I think we need to establish a permanent Philippine tournament where we will invite other countries

Actually I love the decision of Tab to not play Kouame to see how far Gilas will go without him (Kouame). At the same time, other bigs (Go and Geo) will get their fair share of valuable experience of being the main man in bigman position.

Im curious about the IBN PH posters' ranking in the depth chart and analysis of one Dave Ildefonso, now that we have a good sample size of his performance in this recent tournament.
    He was the forgotten man in the last window and OQT, and nobody here seemed to miss him. But as usual, we all here suffering from recency bias, so please go ahead.

^
    Dave yes has size and can create his shot, the thing about him is he has never been an efficient 3 pt shooter, (he's not as effeciient in 3's compared to Dwight, Tamayo and Heading) , we all know in the FIBA game , shooting 3's efficiently is really important

having said that , becasue Dave has good playmaking he can play alongside a good shooter like Dwight or Heading.

The same cannot be said of Suerte, who i don't think has playmaking skills
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 08-01-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Im curious about the IBN PH posters' ranking in the depth chart and analysis of one Dave Ildefonso, now that we have a good sample size of his performance in this recent tournament.
    He was the forgotten man in the last window and OQT, and nobody here seemed to miss him. But as usual, we all here suffering from recency bias, so please go ahead.
    For now, he's a good shooting guard.

Point? Not convinced. The potential is there but until he plays more of it, we will never know.

Short-term: Keep Dave as a SG.

Long-term: Develop Dave's court vision.

Actually Dave looks to be a decent 3 pt shooter. But he likes to use it to setup his drives. He just needs to develop some shots over taller rim protectors but I think he will get there. I was actually surprised to how well he played compared with the ACQ.

He has actually been a skilled guard. It seems he has retained the skills he had when he was 5'11. He is the rare home grown that has small position skill and mobility. He seems to be decent in defense. I guess he just needs to improve what he has. His combination of size skill and mobility as a guard is rare for us. Hopefully with what he showed Tab gives him more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by sroth3839 View Post
    The important thing is experience, especially against MENA teams. All of the team's games have been with East and Southeast Asian teams. (And one Americas + one Euro)

This is still a very young team that has faced teams who already season veterans. Al-Duwairi is already 28 after all.
    And an elite center at that in Asian basketball circle. I say Al-Dwairi is already in the same level as Hadadi, Zhou Qi, Yi Jianlian.

So we had a 6-game experience (not counting that exhibition game vs. Jordan developmental team which is South East Asian level) in this King Abdullah Cup. The more competitive games we play, the better for Gilas. Let's not put too much value on winning. Yes, winning is important, its always good to have a winning attitude. But for a developmental team like the current gilas squad, experience or learning should be the focus while winning should just come as secondary goal. Winning will come as the team improves & gets used to playing FIBA or international games.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    This is a sign that the SBP needs to be more proactive in developing a large pool of players.

Aside from the option of joining the PBA as a guest team, the SBP should look into inviting other national teams for friendly tournaments.

In fact, I think we need to establish a permanent Philippine tournament where we will invite other countries
    Time to revive the MVP cup & make it an annual pocket tournament during the June to August period. We can invite East Asian teams (Korea, Japan, China), Middle East teams (Lebanon, Jordan, Iran) & North African teams (Egypt, Tunisia, Morroco) to play in the MVP Cup.

Time to revive the MVP cup & make it an annual pocket tournament during the June to August period. We can invite East Asian teams (Korea, Japan, China), Middle East teams (Lebanon, Jordan, Iran) & North African teams (Egypt, Tunisia, Morroco) to play in the MVP Cup.
    the last MVP cup, (2015) , i brought the Wellington saints in, ( Nz nbl 2021 champs) , we also attempted to bring in Jordan... I remember Qatar was in town at the time but refused to join LOL

these were the participants
    Gilas Philippines
    Wellington Saints
    Talk 'N Text
    Chinese Taipei

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post

I dont see this happening during the pandemic unfortunately, How I wish Gilas could participate at the upcoming NBA summer League (wishful thinking)
    Ducks fly together!

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Some guys (like you) have enviable memory lol I only remember the dwairi of a few years back. Anyway, I'm confident 2 years will be enough for Kai to be better than him. In case they meet in the world cup. But talking about the ongoing king's cup, I think the result would've been different had Kai join the team. But that's not to say Kai is already better
    Nah!

I think its just that Al-Dwairi in 2013 wasn't that impressive for people here to notice him. Let's face it, Al-Dwairi didn't come close to the hype that a Kai Sotto has been getting right now. But to Al Dwairi's credit, he really has come around of his own despite the almost non-existent hype. I mean, marque big men in Asian basketball like Wang Zhizhi, Yao Ming, Hamed Hadadi, Yi Jianlian were all well hyped as early as when they were in their late teens & early 20's. Al-Dwairi on the other hand got noticed in Asian basketball community only when he was already around 24 or 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    the last MVP cup, (2015) , i brought the Wellington saints in, ( Nz nbl 2021 champs) , we also attempted to bring in Jordan... I remember Qatar was in town at the time but refused to join LOL

these were the participants
    Gilas Philippines
    Wellington Saints
    Talk 'N Text
    Chinese Taipei
    I remember that tournament very well, except that I didn't know about Qatar being in the Philippines at that time & they turned down the invitation to play in that tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    ^
    Dave yes has size and can create his shot, the thing about him is he has never been an efficient 3 pt shooter, (he's not as effeciient in 3's compared to Dwight, Tamayo and Heading) , we all know in the FIBA game , shooting 3's efficiently is really important

having said that , becasue Dave has good playmaking he can play alongside a good shooter like Dwight or Heading.

The same cannot be said of Suerte, who i don't think has playmaking skills
    The same can be said with Thirdy Ravena - really a poor shooter compared to Heading or Dwight

Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast