Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1559

Thread: Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

  1. #1041
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Kiefer.

    Bolick would be another good prospect but since he's with the evil empire then let's forget about him.
    Dude as someone who lives in Ormoc, I would love to see Bolick play in Gilas HUHUHUHU. Hope the SMC gets more cooperative. Fuck Chua, I just hope that Ramon Ang will support Gilas. He will override longhair anytime of the day.

  2. #1042
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Not privy with what really happened with Lopez, but the word is that he was promised to be part of the OQT. His father himself said that they don’t have any problem if Lopez was simply cut, so there obviously is something more to this. I totally agree that people shouldn’t be this sensitive, esp this is the country’s pride we are talking about. Let’s just hope it’s just emotions, spurt of the moment variety.

    Everyone can be caught napping sometimes, not something that one can’t improve on esp thru more mentorship and experience. Belangel is a handful in UAAP level. Even in the games he played for Gilas you can see he can slash at will but simply couldn’t finish through the woods. It is more of a testament of Belangel’s scoring prowess in that level rather than Juan’s ineptness as a defender. Do you believe we would be even worse defensively with Juan than our current batch of PGs?
    Honestly with 1GDL body, height and etc, the dude should have the potential to be a defensive maniac when we consider how good our smaller guards were in defending the Point guard back then in previous gilas rosters. At this point on let's just hope for the best for all parties. Eventually I truly believe that 1GDL will mend ties with the team and should be in contention to be part of 2023. We all can't deny how talented he is.

  3. #1043
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    373
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Everyone can be caught napping sometimes, not something that one canít improve on esp thru more mentorship and experience. Belangel is a handful in UAAP level. Even in the games he played for Gilas you can see he can slash at will but simply couldnít finish through the woods. It is more of a testament of Belangelís scoring prowess in that level rather than Juanís ineptness as a defender. Do you believe we would be even worse defensively with Juan than our current batch of PGs?
    Jury is still out. Not sure if it's an effort or IQ issue or a bit of both. Javi was open that it's a weakness of his and that the coaching staff was very direct with him that he needed to improve that aspect of his game, which seems to me to be the reason why he was re-invited and Juan wasn't initially. With Juan, Suerte and Oftana claimed in separate interviews that they noticed he was the only one not giving any effort (again, Mikee did a very poor but seemingly intended job of censoring who they were referring to), and that upset several players who were presumably giving their all. So if lack of effort is enough to frustrate your teammates, that's another thing altogether. And getting caught napping at times (more than a few times per game back in the UAAP), can spell the difference between a win and a loss.

    As an admittedly biased UP grad who knows the guy personally, I'm just hoping he can get over himself. I love him and his game, but when things go wrong he tends to blame external factors or those around him instead of being introspective and seeing how he could have impacted them (though I agree that it was mostly Coach Bo not understanding how to use him alongside the others, and just allowing them to take turns playing hero ball). I really, really hope he becomes our PG of the future and thought it was a lock when the GDLs committed themselves to Gilas in early 2020. But yes as mentioned earlier, he still has the gilas clause on his contract so there is still a lot of time. Here's to hoping him dominating the B-League div 2 doesn't let his ego get bigger and is actually the avenue for him to return to the program.

    All I know is the two don't have a problem with Tab personally, esp Javi. They were effusive in their praise of how good of a motivator and developmental coach Tab is back in the 2nd window.

  4. #1044
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    373
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Dude as someone who lives in Ormoc, I would love to see Bolick play in Gilas HUHUHUHU. Hope the SMC gets more cooperative. Fuck Chua, I just hope that Ramon Ang will support Gilas. He will override longhair anytime of the day.
    Sadly, RSA could care less about basketball. That's why he let Chua be in charge of everything basketball, after all, the SMC basketball empire was started by Danding, RSA just inherited it.

  5. #1045
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    995
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    We did pretty well defensively, We did not get dominated by Egypt. It would be a different story if we lost by 50. Egypt is a well respected team in Africa and they even went undefeated in their qualifiers. Even Jordan A lost to Egypt. We lost because we only hit 34% from FT and 14% from 3 on that game. Our offense just needs to be consistent because defense is our strong point.



    Well styles make fights, we can compete better to a team like Serbia than a team like the Dominican Republic. Kind of like how Argentina kept it close against Australia but got blown out by the Americans. Beside this is still a young team and the Dominicans had 1 day of rest and scouting. Not saying we can win against DR but our chances would have been better if we had their schedule.
    We could rave about the defense, but as seen with the Egypt game, the ability to shoot matters as much as defense. I mean, look at the performance in the charity line.

    The erraticness of Gilas offense needs to seriously be addressed. We're lucky that the Asia Cup was postponed and there's lots of time to address it.

  6. #1046
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,150
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    Sadly, RSA could care less about basketball. That's why he let Chua be in charge of everything basketball, after all, the SMC basketball empire was started by Danding, RSA just inherited it.
    Sadly, RSA doesn't have as much passion for basketball (Phi basketball in particular) as Danding Cojuanco had. Too bad also that the man in charge of SMC basketball operations is an asshole.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  7. #1047
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    373
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    We could rave about the defense, but as seen with the Egypt game, the ability to shoot matters as much as defense. I mean, look at the performance in the charity line.

    The erraticness of Gilas offense needs to seriously be addressed. We're lucky that the Asia Cup was postponed and there's lots of time to address it.
    Honestly, personal observation with our offense, it's designed to get shooters open or in rhythm for the most part. When shots aren't falling we're doomed.

    ADMU was uncharacteristically terrible from 3 point land to begin Season 82, their defense is really what won them games. A lot of Ateneans were thinking the same thing abt addressing the offense, what happened as the year went on is shots started falling and more people started to become more confident in their ability to create for themselves and others. I could see the same happening here except the process will be longer and will take longer.

  8. #1048
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    Sadly, RSA could care less about basketball. That's why he let Chua be in charge of everything basketball, after all, the SMC basketball empire was started by Danding, RSA just inherited it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Sadly, RSA doesn't have as much passion for basketball (Phi basketball in particular) as Danding Cojuanco had. Too bad also that the man in charge of SMC basketball operations is an asshole.
    Damn Ramon Ang could not maintain the success of SMC by being unreasonable and close minded. I am sure that if they have a proper heart to heart with MVP than maybe just maybe SMC will finally support Gilas 100%. Though I know it is a longshot, we all are hoping for longshots too especially with Clarkson as a local. Hope these guys can get their shit together and cooperate for the betterment of the team. We need the SMC's cooperation because they all have the players but if we don't then I am sure we will manage by somehow. It would be nice to see a country actually united though for the sake of our team.

  9. #1049
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,150
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Dude as someone who lives in Ormoc, I would love to see Bolick play in Gilas HUHUHUHU. Hope the SMC gets more cooperative. Fuck Chua, I just hope that Ramon Ang will support Gilas. He will override longhair anytime of the day.
    I watched only the 4th quarter of Ginebra-Northport game last night & I saw Bolick at endgame sort of grimacing in pain with his left knee. Hope its nothing serious.

    BTW, I follow Northport's game a little bit becoz of Bolick. This despite Northport being an SMC bitch.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  10. #1050
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,367
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    Jury is still out. Not sure if it's an effort or IQ issue or a bit of both. Javi was open that it's a weakness of his and that the coaching staff was very direct with him that he needed to improve that aspect of his game, which seems to me to be the reason why he was re-invited and Juan wasn't initially. With Juan, Suerte and Oftana claimed in separate interviews that they noticed he was the only one not giving any effort (again, Mikee did a very poor but seemingly intended job of censoring who they were referring to), and that upset several players who were presumably giving their all. So if lack of effort is enough to frustrate your teammates, that's another thing altogether. And getting caught napping at times (more than a few times per game back in the UAAP), can spell the difference between a win and a loss.

    As an admittedly biased UP grad who knows the guy personally, I'm just hoping he can get over himself. I love him and his game, but when things go wrong he tends to blame external factors or those around him instead of being introspective and seeing how he could have impacted them (though I agree that it was mostly Coach Bo not understanding how to use him alongside the others, and just allowing them to take turns playing hero ball). I really, really hope he becomes our PG of the future and thought it was a lock when the GDLs committed themselves to Gilas in early 2020. But yes as mentioned earlier, he still has the gilas clause on his contract so there is still a lot of time. Here's to hoping him dominating the B-League div 2 doesn't let his ego get bigger and is actually the avenue for him to return to the program.

    All I know is the two don't have a problem with Tab personally, esp Javi. They were effusive in their praise of how good of a motivator and developmental coach Tab is back in the 2nd window.
    Of course it could spell the difference between a win and a loss. But do you think it’s something one can’t improve on with mentorship and experience? You keep coming back to it like it’s something unfixable through time. And you said it yourself, it was in the UAAP. Could it be that he already made some improvements in that regard? Or perhaps we just don’t pay that much attention to missed boxouts the way analytical geeks like Enzo Flojo does?

    I’ve watched all our Gilas games and lurked on media platforms to read about the reactions. Never did I read about Juan costing us a game due to poor boxing out, or even a consensus take that his lousy defense led us to our demise, esp not from various known hoops personalities that I happen to follow. Just my take, but I think Juan being a defensive liability is a bit of a reach.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  11. #1051
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,150
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Damn Ramon Ang could not maintain the success of SMC by being unreasonable and close minded. I am sure that if they have a proper heart to heart with MVP than maybe just maybe SMC will finally support Gilas 100%. Though I know it is a longshot, we all are hoping for longshots too especially with Clarkson as a local. Hope these guys can get their shit together and cooperate for the betterment of the team. We need the SMC's cooperation because they all have the players but if we don't then I am sure we will manage by somehow. It would be nice to see a country actually united though for the sake of our team.
    BTW, in case you're not yet aware, the Gilas jerseys in the 1st & 2nd windows had San Miguel Beer logo at the lower back portion which means SMC is among the Gilas team's major sponsor - something I find odd.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  12. #1052
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    BTW, in case you're not yet aware, the Gilas jerseys in the 1st & 2nd windows had San Miguel Beer logo at the lower back portion which means SMC is among the Gilas team's major sponsor - something I find odd.
    I did notice that but then again what is the point? They hardly contribute anything especially with lending players though I think their sponsorship was just because of 2019 world cup? Correct me if I am wrong but I also saw a San Miguel printing in 2019. At this point on unless we see more changes being done by the SMC for gilas other than possibly I don't know something monetary? They are just "supporting" us by name.

  13. #1053
    Senior Member shootingbwakaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    by the Gulf
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    As an admittedly biased UP grad who knows the guy personally, I'm just hoping he can get over himself....
    since you know him personally, maybe you can take part in this "mending fences", explain from a friend's point of view what may be wrong & what may be improved. I read somewhere that Coach Tab called him to explain the reason/s for his non-inclusion. if you're older that him, maybe he'll take your word as a brother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. #1054
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    135
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Dude as someone who lives in Ormoc, I would love to see Bolick play in Gilas HUHUHUHU. Hope the SMC gets more cooperative. Fuck Chua, I just hope that Ramon Ang will support Gilas. He will override longhair anytime of the day.
    why do we always assume na SMC players will never play with gilas? isali mo jan sa pool ang mga smc players tutal pool naman yan just to add a little pressure and then sbp can negotiate with chua. thats best thing SBP can do kesa "ay wag na lng natin isali yan kasi nasa SMC camp".

  15. #1055
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    why do we always assume na SMC players will never play with gilas? isali mo jan sa pool ang mga smc players tutal pool naman yan just to add a little pressure and then sbp can negotiate with chua. thats best thing SBP can do kesa "ay wag na lng natin isali yan kasi nasa SMC camp".
    What do you mean assume? We are all simply reacting to their consistent actions throughout the years man, nothing more or nothing less. Obviously I want the SMC and Gilas to have a 100% cooperative relationship. There are too many instances of SMC politics on Gilas man and as long as that does not change then things will be the same. We probably don't have a problem on getting the players in a 10 day notice but if you are asking for a full commitment that Tab is requiring then we all know that it is difficult to achieve.

  16. #1056
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    why do we always assume na SMC players will never play with gilas? isali mo jan sa pool ang mga smc players tutal pool naman yan just to add a little pressure and then sbp can negotiate with chua. thats best thing SBP can do kesa "ay wag na lng natin isali yan kasi nasa SMC camp".
    I do hope that the SMC and the SBP will get their shit together. We need the SMC to be more competitive overall man especially when they have the highest concentration of Filipino talent. All we can hope at this point is for Chua to change or for Ang to have a meeting with MVP or whatever. I don't care about the means, I just hope that they will finally cooperate with each other. Even if the PBA will continue their 3 conferences or whatever, I hope that they will lend their players for long commitments even if they miss a season or find a compromise.

  17. #1057
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    135
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    What do you mean assume? We are all simply reacting to their consistent actions throughout the years man, nothing more or nothing less. Obviously I want the SMC and Gilas to have a 100% cooperative relationship. There are too many instances of SMC politics on Gilas man and as long as that does not change then things will be the same. We probably don't have a problem on getting the players in a 10 day notice but if you are asking for a full commitment that Tab is requiring then we all know that it is difficult to achieve.
    We are hosting the world cup and im sure SMC would be more than glad to get a share of the recognition. I just don't buy that professionals should be with the team for a year or two to master tab's system. gaano ba ka intricate ang system na yan?

  18. #1058
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    We are hosting the world cup and im sure SMC would be more than glad to get a share of the recognition. I just don't buy that professionals should be with the team for a year or two to master tab's system. gaano ba ka intricate ang system na yan?
    Based on Tab's interviews, Players, Assistant coaches and etc. Highly complex. Why do you think the players move so well in defense and offense? (though they are inconsistent with offense). Tab said that at least a month for someone new. A year or two will be overkill for me, 1-3 months would be fine.

  19. #1059
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Gilas vs Tunisia Breakdown


  20. #1060
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,150
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Based on Tab's interviews, Players, Assistant coaches and etc. Highly complex. Why do you think the players move so well in defense and offense? (though they are inconsistent with offense). Tab said that at least a month for someone new. A year or two will be overkill for me, 1-3 months would be fine.
    Correct. Tab never mentioned that he needs guys like Kai, Dalph, AJ Edu & the possible PBA reinforcements to train full time with Gilas for at least a year or something to that effect. What coach Tab said is like for those aforementioned players to train with Gilas for a considerable period of time (at least 3 weeks perhaps) on occasional basis leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup. This is what I described as accumulative training in which a player, who couldn't train with Gilas on a full time basis, gets to train occasionally (upon availability) several times prior to the 2023 FIBA World Cup. Its something like a Kai Sotto, or an AJ Edu or a Panopio trains with Gilas for about 2 months within the June to August period next year since that would be school vacation in the US (for Edu & Panopio) and off season of NBL- Australia for Kai. Then during the June to August period in 2023, these players could train again with Gilas for about 2 months prior to the World Cup. The PBA reinforcements on the other hand can train with Gilas during the PBA off season.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •