Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
Results 1,541 to 1,559 of 1559

Thread: Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    the last MVP cup, (2015) , i brought the Wellington saints in, ( Nz nbl 2021 champs) , we also attempted to bring in Jordan... I remember Qatar was in town at the time but refused to join LOL

these were the participants
    Gilas Philippines
    Wellington Saints
    Talk 'N Text
    Chinese Taipei
    Noli Eala revived the PBA Invitational Tournament, but sadly it attracted only low quality clubs, like the Novi Sad club that supposed to be a strong Yugo ( or Serbian) team, but not so much, a Canadian college team that was billed to be led by a dynamic Filipino PG. (he was only about 5'6 btw)... a regional club from China, and if i remember it right a middle eastern team also. It fizzled to say the least.

If only Thirdy can come close to what Samboy Lim was in offense - a high flying slasher with a decent outside shot. Thirdy is very athletic but definitely not as skilled as a Samboy Lim or a Vergel Meneses offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I remember that tournament very well, except that I didn't know about Qatar being in the Philippines at that time & they turned down the invitation to play in that tournament.
    It was a funny situation, we ( Saints) were billeted in Galeria suites , and next door (Crown hotel) was Qatar, Qatar asked me ()Saints) for a tune up game, they didn't want to play Gilas ( scouting tago stuff) but wanted to play the Saints., I could not accept the offer as we were guest of the Philippines.
    So Chot asked me maybe you can be the one to ask Qatar to play Gilas LOL ... ayaw nila pag galing sa Gilas

It was a funny situation, we ( Saints) were billeted in Galeria suites , and next door (Crown hotel) was Qatar, Qatar asked me ()Saints) for a tune up game, they didn't want to play Gilas ( scouting tago stuff) but wanted to play the Saints., I could not accept the offer as we were guest of the Philippines.
    So Chot asked me maybe you can be the one to ask Qatar to play Gilas LOL ... ayaw nila pag galing sa Gilas
    Well for the purpose of depriving your possible opponent in the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship from scouting your team, I understand Qatar's decision not to play against Gilas while Qatar is open to the idea of playing the Wellington Saints in a tune-up. Qatar won't be facing the Saints in the 2015 Asian Championships while it might have faced Gilas in that tournament.

the last MVP cup, (2015) , i brought the Wellington saints in, ( Nz nbl 2021 champs) , we also attempted to bring in Jordan... I remember Qatar was in town at the time but refused to join LOL

Gilas Philippines
    Wellington Saints
    Talk 'N Text
    Chinese Taipei
    Kaya pala napasama na lang tnt because qatar could have been the 4th team
    While Jordan being a Rajko team that time..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Gilas vs Jordan A, Breakdown of Semifinals

Last edited by Stevy; 08-02-2021 at 05:24 AM.

At least we have around 2 years to develop and really compose a team. This team really need reinforcements, with Kai and Edu and probably a few more. Depending really on the development of certain players, fortunately we have 2 years to choose the squad for 2023 but unfortunately for 2 years we really do not have a fix team yet. Hopefully the PBA could decide if they are really willing to help our team so they could already release the players we needed.

It looks like Dwight was inconsistent most specially the last few games but still he would be useful for the team. As for Dave, depending on what we need, if we really need someone who can shoot the lights out then he really needs to improve his shooting, but if we need someone who can bring the ball and score a couple then maybe he'll be part of the team. These guys needs to improve this year or early next or else their gonna lose their spot on the team. If the PBA will not be cooperative enough, I hope Kobe, Cholo, Dalph, Lebron and those players who are training and playing overseas could develop too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Gilas vs Jordan A, Breakdown of Semifinals

Actually a good vid, nice to know that the 5 second call was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by prince75 View Post
    At least we have around 2 years to develop and really compose a team. This team really need reinforcements, with Kai and Edu and probably a few more. Depending really on the development of certain players, fortunately we have 2 years to choose the squad for 2023 but unfortunately for 2 years we really do not have a fix team yet. Hopefully the PBA could decide if they are really willing to help our team so they could already release the players we needed.

It looks like Dwight was inconsistent most specially the last few games but still he would be useful for the team. As for Dave, depending on what we need, if we really need someone who can shoot the lights out then he really needs to improve his shooting, but if we need someone who can bring the ball and score a couple then maybe he'll be part of the team. These guys needs to improve this year or early next or else their gonna lose their spot on the team. If the PBA will not be cooperative enough, I hope Kobe, Cholo, Dalph, Lebron and those players who are training and playing overseas could develop too.
    We need big guards. At 6'4 Dave is only shorter than Dwight among the guards. He has all the required skills for a guard just needs more polishing. Thirdy is shorter at 6'2 and has inferior handles and shooting. I would say Dave can surpass Thirdy if he improves his defense and his finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rds View Post
    We need big guards. At 6'4 Dave is only shorter than Dwight among the guards. He has all the required skills for a guard just needs more polishing. Thirdy is shorter at 6'2 and has inferior handles and shooting. I would say Dave can surpass Thirdy if he improves his defense and his finishing.
    If only thirdynand got the shooting touch of Kiefer , pwd na. Yeah I agree, they should focus on developing Dave. And I'm also hoping for Abando to finally get the call up.
    ďThe urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.Ē
    ― H.L. Mencken

Gilas Philippines
    Wellington Saints
    Talk 'N Text
    Chinese Taipei
    is this the same tournament where the crowd boo the saints during their Haka dance?
    Ducks fly together!

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    is this the same tournament where the crowd boo the saints during their Haka dance?
    This and the OQT and Tall Blacks 2016
    BTW it's not offensive to boo the haka, NZ uses it to psyc itself up, us vs the world mentality

Nz and coach Henare was disappointed that we did the haka actually cause alot of the players were Americans, so it was kind of fake lol.
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 08-02-2021 at 09:19 AM.

This and the OQT and Tall Blacks 2016
    BTW it's not offensive to boo the haka, NZ uses it to psyc itself up, us vs the world mentality

found a video...wow that 2015 Gilas is probably the oldest NTeam we have in history

edit: effing TV5, cant post their video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPD84A2NLM)
    Ducks fly together!

Here is my write up of that experience

http://analyzedhoops.blogspot.com/20...aming.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    If only thirdynand got the shooting touch of Kiefer , pwd na. Yeah I agree, they should focus on developing Dave. And I'm also hoping for Abando to finally get the call up.
    Kiefer didn’t really have an outside shot himself, but at least he has a more fluid stroke and steadier at the FT line. If that is any indication, maybe Thirdy will still improve but only to a certain extent. Thirdy is better off playing to his strength which is slashing and scoring at the rim and finding the open teammate when the layup or dunk isn’t there.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Kiefer didnít really have an outside shot himself, but at least he has a more fluid stroke and steadier at the FT line. If that is any indication, maybe Thirdy will still improve but only to a certain extent. Thirdy is better off playing to his strength which is slashing and scoring at the rim and finding the open teammate when the layup or dunk isnít there.
    We can argue on thirdys shooting but he had that scorers touch... but in 2019 it was evident that the shooting isnt his natural ralent.. it requires repetition ika nga for thirdy..I see him drill three pointers in his personal training and guess what he cant apply it fully in real game.. whata evident yun open court skils which is there which our team didnt maximize imo in this tournament..with kai as frontcourt buddy of anje baka possible or a big athletic body like tratter or his bro kiefer outletting too hi its evident walang chemistry si thirdy at sj compare to sj and will navarro

I think our young and up and coming video coordinators can make it a great case study
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Kiefer didnít really have an outside shot himself, but at least he has a more fluid stroke and steadier at the FT line. If that is any indication, maybe Thirdy will still improve but only to a certain extent. Thirdy is better off playing to his strength which is slashing and scoring at the rim and finding the open teammate when the layup or dunk isnít there.
    I think of other options better be explored
    ďThe urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.Ē
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    We can argue on thirdys shooting but he had that scorers touch... but in 2019 it was evident that the shooting isnt his natural ralent.. it requires repetition ika nga for thirdy..I see him drill three pointers in his personal training and guess what he cant apply it fully in real game.. whata evident yun open court skils which is there which our team didnt maximize imo in this tournament..with kai as frontcourt buddy of anje baka possible or a big athletic body like tratter or his bro kiefer outletting too hi its evident walang chemistry si thirdy at sj compare to sj and will navarro

I think our young and up and coming video coordinators can make it a great case study
    I really believe Thirdy should shed off some of that muscle mass, even just a bit. More quickness and explosiveness to compensate for his lack of outside shooting. Although he has a lot of success attacking the rim, we should take note this is against defenders who might be athletic but aren’t really quick. I mean, we’ve seen Liz and Solano of DR. You could see the glaring gap in explosiveness and quickness compared to middle eastern guards like Ibrahim, Al Hawaas et al. All our guards had a field day attacking the rim, just boiled down to finishing those shots.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    2015. You had the brains of tab and the talents of romeo and castro. Result is they went all the way to the finals. And that didnt even take a year for pro players to master
    Yeah, they would have won if not for the cheating chinese. System with allowance for creativity is what should be achieved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778