Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1559

Thread: Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

  1. #1341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    I like the fact that they are already playing almost all sorts of competition as early as now.

    1. They already played East Asians (Korea and China).
    2. They already played a European team (Serbia).
    3. They already played athletic Latin Americans (Dominican Republic).
    4. They already played against MENA teams (Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia).

    They still need to play against North Americans, Western and Eastern Africans and Oceanians, though. However, I like that in the span of 3 months, we already have matches as I enumerated above.
    We will likely face either Australia or New Zealand in WC qualifiers starting November.. if we base the FIBA rankings and how the POT used last 2017 eh for sure top pots are Australia, new Zealand in East while Iran and Jordan in West.. we will surely put at POT 2 because I think after FIBA will release new rankings, we might overcome the rank of Korea (we beat them twice in FIBA sanctioned game) and China (might decrease their points because their 2012 Olympic stint will be erased as FIBA using 8 year ranking system in updating new points)...

  2. #1342
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,063
    Country: Philippines

  3. #1343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,462
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Hay naku. A few bad games in a pocket tournament and you’re already writing this team off. Remember that experience and exposure is more important to this team right now than winning a tournament that has no bearing on FIBA ranking or qualification for the Asia Cup or World Cup. Better that they make mistakes and expose their weaknesses now than in a game that really matters.

  4. #1344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    Hay naku. A few bad games in a pocket tournament and you’re already writing this team off. Remember that experience and exposure is more important to this team right now than winning a tournament that has no bearing on FIBA ranking or qualification for the Asia Cup or World Cup. Better that they make mistakes and expose their weaknesses now than in a game that really matters.
    I hope after this, they should join in the PBA as guest team in import laded conference... They need to learn how to play against physical teams.. it will benefit guys like Chiu, tamaya, baltazar to play against likes of junmar, belga, japeth, erram, etc... Although they need to rest atleast a month before going back in the practice..

  5. #1345
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    I hope after this, they should join in the PBA as guest team in import laded conference... They need to learn how to play against physical teams.. it will benefit guys like Chiu, tamaya, baltazar to play against likes of junmar, belga, japeth, erram, etc... Although they need to rest atleast a month before going back in the practice..
    if anything, it will benefit d players becos real games are better than scrimmages.

    especially for d college players who need games. i doubt that uaap games will commence in february (unless it is some kind of bubble environment).

  6. #1346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    With Dwight Ramos struggling to play as point guard, I hope some people here realize how difficult it is for a natural wingman to transition into a point guard. Its not as simple as pag magaling ka mag dribble eh pwede ka na mag point guard. The idea of converting a natural wingman into a point guard is mainly to improve the size/height of the backcourt and is a brilliant idea actually. But its not as easy as some people think, and in no better way this is being demonstrated than in what is happening with Dwight Ramos in Gilas right now.

    That is why I'm not really that optimistic about the idea of playing a CJ Perez as point guard with Gilas if ever he is allowed by his team to play for Gilas.

    Players being converted to point guards need enough reps playing such role. How many times or how often did we see CJ Perez play as a point guard in his former team Terrafirma & current team San Miguel?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  7. #1347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,258
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Lot's of hot topics here huh. Well, at least, wla Namang "talo Kasi luto ng referee", something which is all over Facebook and some YouTube vloggers.

    Anyway, kouame or Clarkson? If this was asked a couple of months ago, id easily say Clarkson. Malayo Naman tlga ang talent level. But ,based on what tab is running, kouame makes the better fit. Doesn't need the ball to contribute, hnd invasive. Plus, kouame is already in the center of the team's build up. You take that away, there'll be a huge void. We already saw him and Kai play together, but still there seem to be the need for another big. What more if you take kouame out? He would've been a little more dispensable if AJ Edu was healthy and been playing with the team.

    Who defends better, Kai or kouame? Right now, I'd say Kouame because he can put on the effort for much longer and, of course, physically, he's already matured. But, did boban have a feast on kouame? Yes. Kai was manhandled in the 1st quarter but after that, he figured out ways how to somehow defend against a man twice his build. Offensively, way too many things Kai can do for this team given enough practice with them.

    Thirdy? IDK. Maybe there are better options.

    DWEET Ramos? I think there's too much on his shoulder. And I agree, we need a legit point guard or at least have with him someone to bring that ball down. Him bringing the ball down takes a lot from him.
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

  8. #1348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,586

    Default

    ramos can be a situational pg, but that's about it.

  9. #1349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Lot's of hot topics here huh. Well, at least, wla Namang "talo Kasi luto ng referee", something which is all over Facebook and some YouTube vloggers.
    Let's not be sore losers guys. Let's accept that we lost that game vs. Jordan fair & square. Jordan was the better team right now so let's give the Jordanians the credit they deserve.

    There's no such thing as perfect officiating. Besides, didn't Gilas also got the benefit of questionable officiating in our wins over Korea in the 3rd window? And yet we took those wins as if they were legit ones & described the Koreans as sore losers when they alleged that officiating was biased on our favor. Now, isn't that unfair to the Jordanians if we refuse to accept defeat & point to biased officiating as the culprit?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  10. #1350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,258
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Let's not be sore losers guys. Let's accept that we lost that game vs. Jordan fair & square. Jordan was the better team right now so let's give the Jordanians the credit they deserve.

    There's no such thing as perfect officiating. Besides, didn't Gilas also got the benefit of questionable officiating in our wins over Korea in the 3rd window? And yet we took those wins as if they were legit ones & described the Koreans as sore losers when they alleged that officiating was biased on our favor. Now, isn't that unfair to the Jordanians if we refuse to accept defeat & point to biased officiating as the culprit?
    Yes but I don't think you understood what I said
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

  11. #1351
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Yeah.. Dwight is a combo guard at his best.. he's not real PG.. he's like more aggressive Matthew Wright..
    I agree on this....Dwight's ability gets affected if he plays as a point guard.....he is better as a shooting guard.......I doubt Thirdy can play as a PG effectively too......Both of them will really need a lot of training and practise to become effective as PG.........Hopefully, we can test out Dalph and Cholo to see if they can become effective PG with this team

  12. #1352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,258
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    I agree on this....Dwight's ability gets affected if he plays as a point guard.....he is better as a shooting guard.......I doubt Thirdy can play as a PG effectively too......Both of them will really need a lot of training and practise to become effective as PG.........Hopefully, we can test out Dalph and Cholo to see if they can become effective PG with this team
    We can try play him alongside a bollick or a Juan GDL
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

  13. #1353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    I agree on this....Dwight's ability gets affected if he plays as a point guard.....he is better as a shooting guard.......I doubt Thirdy can play as a PG effectively too......Both of them will really need a lot of training and practise to become effective as PG.........Hopefully, we can test out Dalph and Cholo to see if they can become effective PG with this team
    Dwight and Thirdy has all the time they need to be Point guards, I am not closing that door and I do agree that we should also expand our pool for better fits as well. Hoping to see Dalph, Cholo, Kiefer, Bolick, 1GDL back. We need all of the talent that we can have. With the way Tab is experimenting, I truly do think that he will continue to train Dwight, Dave and etc to be PGs but we should not close the door to well established PGs. Having options is a must, because if they don't improve their transition say a year from now then it is better to just play Dwight and Dave as a swingman.

  14. #1354
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    I agree on this....Dwight's ability gets affected if he plays as a point guard.....he is better as a shooting guard.......I doubt Thirdy can play as a PG effectively too......Both of them will really need a lot of training and practise to become effective as PG.........Hopefully, we can test out Dalph and Cholo to see if they can become effective PG with this team
    If parks is not pabebe, he will be a good partner to Dwight.. ang Kaso? Alam nyo na!!!! Parks can be a PG (he was doing PG roles with 2016 gilas sometimes and his tnt stint last season)... Imagine the parks-ramos combo in back court? Kakainis Ka parks!!!! Kung kailan we have now the tools eh saka pa to nag pabebe...that's why I'm still angered at him, not just he leaves tnt.. but also he ignores gilas.. he will be tab's first option at guard position...

  15. #1355
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,509
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Assuming no Remy, who's your PG?

    We also should be realistic and limit the selection to players who actually at least play some games with gilas in the last year or are likely to be availablein the next year. .(batang gilas or gilas former players

    No point arguing about players who aren't even part of the program
    Kiefer Ravena or Robert Bolick.

  16. #1356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,357
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    We need established pg like kief and bolick. It is too risky to bank on experimental pgs who would still need a lot of time to change their mindset. It would also take away the strengths of dwight. Dwight should be our best SG and if JC is on board then it would be the two of them.

    Regarding, thirdy he would really struggle because he is not a reliable shooter and driving against bigger teams will be difficult. He will be so limited and we better move on, dwight as main sg and wright or JC.

    Regarding koaume, all he could offer would really be effort, actually he was better yesterday than the previous game but still we saw that elite centers can manhandle Anj. He really tried his best but his best was not good enough yun lang talaga yun. Better players outshine effort no matter what.

    Regarding kai, his presence alone puts fear in our opponents. Kai gives the aura of a haddadi, zhou qi and kai could really defend anyone. I was really surprise than he was great defensively against bobi, kardo, prosper and domrep. I am more confident about his NBL stint after those games. Also, kai will always be an inside threat. Our shooters had a hard time yesterday because we dont have someone to score inside. Jordan could extend their defense. I think kai wont be available till 2023 or late 2022. We better hope Aj will be back soonest. I still think Aj is better than Anj but anj could suffice for now.
    Last edited by PeeZones; 08-01-2021 at 10:35 AM.

  17. #1357
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    We are down to one year of full on experimenting and developing. We need the pool to solidify by August of next year as the plays of CTB are complex and tournaments we can join to have better chemistry are limited. Similarly our locals with pro contracts will not be available all the time.

    What we know is we have problems with physical teams like full force DR, Egypt and Jordan. While we have success with not full strength Serbia and Korea with more finesse and Euro plays. How far are we to compete with WC and how fast can we improve?

  18. #1358
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeeZones View Post
    We need establish pg kief and bolick. It is too risky to bank on experimental pgs who would still need a lot of time to change their mindset. It would also take away the strengths of dwight. Dwight should be our best SG and if JC is on board then it would be the two of them.

    Regarding, thirdy he would really struggle because he is not a reliable shooter and driving against bigger teams will be difficult. He will be so limited and we better moveon dwight as main sg and wright or JC.

    Regarding koaume, all he could offer would really be effort actually he was better yesterday than the previous game but still we saw that elite centers can manhandle Anj. He really tried his best but his best was not good enough yun lang talaga yun. Better players outshine effort no matter what.

    Regarding kai, his presence alone puts fear in our opponents. Kai gives the aura of a haddadi, zhou qi and kai could really defend anyone. I was really surprise than he was great defensively against bobi, kardo, prosper and domrep. I am more confident about his NBL stint after those games. Also, kai will always be an inside threat. Our shooters had a hard time yesterday because we dont have someone to score inside. Jordan could extend their defense. I think kai wont be available till 2023 or late 2022. We better hope Aj will be back soonest. I still think Aj is better than Anj but anj could suffice for now.
    I agree with all of your points except for the transition experiment and AJ Edu. I think it is okay to invest in Dwight, Dave, etc. to transition to point guards*because if they do succeed, like Balty and Tamayo, then we will have more options, but it does not mean that we should not expand the pool either, and we should add more players like Bolick, Kiefer, 1GDL, etc. It never fails to expand our talent pool, especially if their experiments won't work out by 2022. AJ without injuries would have been better than Kai and Kouame in 2021, but because of injuries, I have Kouame above AJ right now. I think Edu will be a great backup in 2023 even if he can't fully maximize his potential after the injuries, but I do hope that he can recover like he had no injuries at all. We should always hope for the players to be in their strongest forms. Kai, Kouame, Edu and hopefully Chui will get better by then I can see these 4 as part of the Final 12. Chui needs to work really hard though to be considered.

  19. #1359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    632
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    We are down to one year of full on experimenting and developing. We need the pool to solidify by August of next year as the plays of CTB are complex and tournaments we can join to have better chemistry are limited. Similarly our locals with pro contracts will not be available all the time.

    What we know is we have problems with physical teams like full force DR, Egypt and Jordan. While we have success with not full strength Serbia and Korea with more finesse and Euro plays. How far are we to compete with WC and how fast can we improve?
    I agree, the coaching staff has a year to do whatever the hell they want, especially with their experimentations. I expect our offense to step up, especially with its concepts/fluidity with Nenad Vucinic. Hopefully, the SBP can hire personal trainers from the NBA/Euro league level to help these boys out with their player development. We already have the coaching and philosophy covered.*

  20. #1360
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,357
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    I agree with all of your points except for the transition experiment and AJ Edu. I think it is okay to invest in Dwight, Dave, etc. to transition to point guards*because if they do succeed, like Balty and Tamayo, then we will have more options, but it does not mean that we should not expand the pool either, and we should add more players like Bolick, Kiefer, 1GDL, etc. It never fails to expand our talent pool, especially if their experiments won't work out by 2022. AJ without injuries would have been better than Kai and Kouame in 2021, but because of injuries, I have Kouame above AJ right now. I think Edu will be a great backup in 2023 even if he can't fully maximize his potential after the injuries, but I do hope that he can recover like he had no injuries at all. We should always hope for the players to be in their strongest forms. Kai, Kouame, Edu and hopefully Chui will get better by then I can see these 4 as part of the Final 12. Chui needs to work really hard though to be considered.
    Ayan ka na naman.haha kai is way better than Aj. Kai is paid a lot and Aj is just playing D1. Nakatrigger yang pagdegrade mu. Pero this would be the last of it. Your free to think of anything pero your way off on your takes on Kai. Kai is mention by everyone because he is something. Wag ka puro maniwala sa mock drafts.lol unless NBA coaches or scouts would comment against Kai then diyan lang ako magworry. Real coaches appreciate Kai phoenix Monty williams, Bulls assistant coach etc.

Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •