Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by neo View Post
    even jason castro was a late bloomer. chill lang.
    Rey nambatac pa lang quite a handy na yan sa asia..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279
      Also we also have 1GDL, but looks like Tab doesn't like his playing style.
      Isa pang may alam mo na ang hahahha

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279
        we have dynamic PGs, but they are just not available. I can say Kiefer is at par with those guards. Once Dalph and Cholo are available, that will not be a a problem anymore.
        Originally posted by reamily View Post
        Meron tayo, medyo may pagka Kyrie nga lang ugali, need mo mahuli kiliti or yun motivation pabebe eh. Imo, wala sa u19 batch natin yun, nasa pba solve ka na..
        Those guards have yet to play with this current bigs. And AFAIK, it is not a sure thing this Kyrie-like guards in the PBA and the Cholos and the Dalphs of they world will ever suit up. It's still all wishful thinking, sadly.

Comment

• Nilabas din si Tamayo hopefully as we go deeper, everyone would get an opportunity to shine..

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
            Those guards have yet to play with this current bigs. And AFAIK, it is not a sure thing this Kyrie-like guards in the PBA and the Cholos and the Dalphs of they world will ever suit up. It's still all wishful thinking, sadly.
            Absolutely correct, but tiwala lang. Malay mo James Spencer matures or guy Mamuyac or the Tiger Legend CJ Cansino, or Ricci Rivero

Comment

• As things are progressing, we are looking for our other PG. I expect that Kiefer would be the main PG on 2023. Dwight would be our combo/guard and the 2nd PG is up for grabs. Matt is clearly still not in decent shape and wasnt as sharp when he played last Jones Cup.

It is the mental fortitude and the maturity to withstand wars against elite and bigger PGs as the main criteria for our PGs. As long as Kiefer would lead the team as facilitator and less as a hero ball attention seeking player, then we will be fine. We need that other insurance PG and as it stands SJ, Matt, and RJ wont make it. I just hope tab would let go of his favorites but the best remedy would still be in the PBA for a decent PG.

Regarding, Cholo and Dalph though I like Dalph's skillset and bball IQ but the question will be if he has fortitude to compete against really tough competition. He is still too young and still untested. He will have 2yrs in the NCAA and im not confident enough if that would be sufficient. World class and elite asian teams would also parade elite guards and we need similar players to really be able to excel among the big boys. If we cant address that, we would still be bound for shaky games against upper mid tier asian teams like lebanon, SK, even Jordan. We could lose against them on our off nights. This current Gilas is I think around mid tier asian team and at par with full strength Korea.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                Absolutely correct, but tiwala lang. Malay mo James Spencer matures or guy Mamuyac or the Tiger Legend CJ Cansino, or Ricci Rivero
                You forgot everybody's favorite: Forthsky "The GOAT" Padrigao.

Sidenote: inevitable ba na magiging teammate sa NT si 4thski at si 3rdy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
                  You forgot everybody's favorite: Forthsky "The GOAT" Padrigao.

Sidenote: inevitable ba na magiging teammate sa NT si 4thski at si 3rdy?
                  Prepare... haha bakit ayaw niyo dun tall point gaurd yun and shooter

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                    Prepare... haha bakit ayaw niyo dun tall point gaurd yun and shooter
                    Ano ba height ni GOAT now? Alam ko Enzo Flojo is so high on him. Agree he was trash when he lat played in the PHL youth teams, but maybe if he has better coaching?

Comment

• Originally posted by PeeZones View Post
                      As things are progressing, we are looking for our other PG. I expect that Kiefer would be the main PG on 2023. Dwight would be our combo/guard and the 2nd PG is up for grabs. Matt is clearly still not in decent shape and wasnt as sharp when he played last Jones Cup.

It is the mental fortitude and the maturity to withstand wars against elite and bigger PGs as the main criteria for our PGs. As long as Kiefer would lead the team as facilitator and less as a hero ball attention seeking player, then we will be fine. We need that other insurance PG and as it stands SJ, Matt, and RJ wont make it. I just hope tab would let go of his favorites but the best remedy would still be in the PBA for a decent PG.

Regarding, Cholo and Dalph though I like Dalph's skillset and bball IQ but the question will be if he has fortitude to compete against really tough competition. He is still too young and still untested. He will have 2yrs in the NCAA and im not confident enough if that would be sufficient. World class and elite asian teams would also parade elite guards and we need similar players to really be able to excel among the big boys. If we cant address that, we would still be bound for shaky games against upper mid tier asian teams like lebanon, SK, even Jordan. We could lose against them on our off nights. This current Gilas is I think around mid tier asian team and at par with full strength Korea.

Dalph,is willing to play in offseason of US NCAA,so they will see him in some windows or SEA GAMES,he played in Europe,he played community college ball already,plus his Gilas stint,I believe he can elevate his game some more.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoPilipinas View Post
                        Everything on dwight game ok na ok na e but Dwight needs to work on his handle yan lang talaga poblema when he play the PG.
                        Agree. In the 1st game vs. Korea in the 3rd window, ilang beses si Dwight naagawan while dribbling the ball. I think Dwight's lack of reps playing as a point guard is the cause of his not so decent dribbling. Let's face it, he had played as a wingman for almost his entire basketball career.
                        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                          Dalph,is willing to play in offseason of US NCAA,so they will see him in some windows or SEA GAMES,he played in Europe,he played community college ball already,plus his Gilas stint,I believe he can elevate his game some more.
                          I expect Panopio to train & play for Gilas in June to August next year. That would be summer vacation in the US so he's free & available for Gilas.

Of course Panopio is expected to improve. He's only what, 21? Eh kung yung 25 or 26 yrs old players nga nag e improve pa, 21 or 22 yrs old pa kaya. Some people kasi judge Panopio's game solely in the way he played for Batang Gilas in 2019 World U-19 Championship where he didn't perform well. They think Panopio is going to stagnate & will never improve. Eh parang ganyan din mentality ng iba about current Gilas cadet players specially on guys like Belangel, Abarrientos. Its as if Abarrientos & Belangel are already in their late 20's na di na mag e improve. Of course naiintindihan ko naman sentiments ng iba that their concern really is that Abarrientos & Belangel are undersized point guards in the world level. But we have to take note that Gilas has to deal with Asian-Oceania level first before thinking of the world stage & in so far as Asian level is concerned, both Belangel & Abarrientos are good enough. They showed that dufing the 3rd window. Besides, coach Tab is still in the experiment stage with Gilas as shown in the current King Abdullah Cup. Lets just be patient guys.
                          Last edited by JAMSKIE; 07-29-2021, 09:39 PM.
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Dwight, in essence, is still a developmental player: as a PG. if he was just playing this system, he is already good-to-go PBA/B.League material. but to go to the next level, he is probably being tasked to develop creatively in the PnR. maybe instances i felt Tab going to Dwight too long with the solo possessions and taking 3's or midrange that too bad not making it in this game (just imagine why we see the dribol-dribol move of SJ, it's part of Tab offense), but at the same time, he is asked to gain repetitions. still good for Dwight in the bigger wars ahead.

good for Rey Suerte, instrumental in the 4Q comeback (the broadcast scoreboard is confusing), he gives a dimension of shooting the 3, driving, athleticism in the guard spot, and Tab putting him back for 1 possession in the OT. the reach-in foul was nerve wracking, a typical PBA or Pinoy basketball tendency, so has has to develop more defense IQ i guess. Thirdy has better defense and athleticism, but Suerte has more sureball. that will be good for his confidence.
                            Last edited by noyce; 07-29-2021, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• If only Robert Bolick is not with the evil empire, he & Kiefer would be the perfect point guard rotation for Gilas. You couldn't find any taller natural point guard out there other than Bolick. The good thing with Kiefer & Bolick is that they have the maturity going for them. Yung ang lamang nila over guys like Matt Nieto, Panopio, Belangel or Abarrientos.

Also what I like about Bolick & Kiefer is that they are scoring threats. And this is not about I want them scoring heavily for Gilas but its mainly about them being scoring threats which would compel the opponent to play honest defense on them, hence malilibre yung mga Gilas teammates nila. That's what I like about point guards with pretty decent offensive game. The opponent can't "cheat" on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                                Rhon Jay was a DNP. What? He could have been a factor in this game.
                                Might even be a blessing in disguised that RJ Abarrientos wasn't fielded in this game since maganda ang laro ni Belangel in this game based on the 10 pts that he scored & from what I saw in the highlights. Belangel scored a big basket in the crucial stretch when Gilas was on a desperate rally in the regulation that sent the game into an overtime. If not for Belangel's tripple late in the regulation, natalo tayo sa game last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information