Group B Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group B Discussion

Let's give props to the one and only Group of Death in this tournament. After Nigeria beating of Team USA and Argentina, it's time to consider them candidates for advancing (if not reaching even greater goals). That makes Group B the only group with 4 competitive teams. Every single game counts. Not only which team wins, but the final score is important as well, because a single basket may decide the tie breaks inside the group, and among the three 3rd-place finishers; of which only two will advance.
    Australia
    0%
    Germany
    0%
    Italy
    0%
    Nigeria
    0%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong
    Let's give props to the one and only Group of Death in this tournament. After Nigeria beating of Team USA and Argentina, it's time to consider them candidates for advancing (if not reaching even greater goals). That makes Group B the only group with 4 competitive teams. Every single game counts. Not only which team wins, but the final score is important as well, because a single basket may decide the tie breaks inside the group, and among the three 3rd-place finishers; of which only two will advance.
    After last night's game, I see Australia going first, Italy second, Nigeria third and Germany fourth.
    Germany basically made the Olympics by accident in a very weak qualifying group abd barely survived against Mexico.
    Nigeria has proven to be a factor but showed their flaws yesterday when competing against a more physical team. Italy has a ggood mixture of players and they may have the edge over Nigeria for 2nd place.

Comment

Right now, I think Australia has the clear lead; although I see any of the other three teams capable of an upset. I wouldn't underestimate Germany, although they usually come up short in win-or-go-home games.

It would be fun if the group finished 3-1-1-1, with the final spot being decided by points difference.

Comment

Germany choked in the last quarter, mainly also because Rhödl went several times with Saibou as PG and inserted Barthel who has been awful. Italy should be able to beat Australia and Nigeria who both surprisingly did not play up to their exhibition games outings. Mills has been amazing and Aussies ran their plays through him when it counted the most. Nigeria still lacks a PG. Vincent had his usual stats from the NBA with no impact at all while Metu collected the T's at the worst time to seal the game for Australia. Nwora and Okogie repeatedly went 1 against 3 on fast breaks and penetrations and the turnovers basically killed any chance to return into the game. I don't see a game-plan there, just pure muscle. NBA-ball instead of smart plays. I am dissapointed to see Udoh riding the bench. Could be a game changer here. Okafor maybe too. They need experiencce on the court, not only kids.

Comment

Germany teams often have problems closing tied games. It's like they are still waiting for Dirk to take over, no one can buy a basket in the last couple minutes. Not sure if Schröder would have helped.

Italy had a lot of problems containing Germany's bigs. They can win by spreading the offence and knocking down threes, but their lack of size inside may make them suffer against Nigeria. Or not, nigerians are hard to read.

Comment

Tomorrow we have a couple interesting games. Both day 1 winners face off, so either Italy or Australia will likely punch a ticket for quarterfinals. And the loser of the Nigeria vs. Germany will be in very deep trouble.

Comment

You say mean things about him, but Barthel still loves you.
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Nigeria is now biggest cheerleaders of Australia. Their only path to advance goes through an aussie victory today against Italy, then beating the azurri in the last day of group play. Nigerians have lost the tie break against both Germany and Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                  You say mean things about him, but Barthel still loves you.

I actually played against Barthel. I do even like him, just not in that one game. Played well against Naija today.
                  If Brown would have simply checked Vincent's NBA season stats, he would not have used him that often. Guy is jacking up shits he is not making often. I am missing Tonye Jekiri in tthat roster. He would have been great against Voigtmann and Barthel.
                  Also: To be in the NBA as a player means nothing when it comes to FIBA-ball. You need chemistry and routines and those young guys simply need some time. And who the hell is rotating the entire roster?

Comment

What a game! Australia runs with the win, but they had to work like dogs for it. Italy's weakness is the lack of a solid post player. They were able to get by while making a high percentage of their shots, but in the fourth quarter they faltered, and Australia had a ton of offensive rebounds to make up for their misses.

Also, Gallinari doesn't seem as involved in the game as the rest of the group that achieved the qualification together. That's a bad sign.

Anyway, B is for Best Group! Here's hoping Nigeria gets their game together and force a three-way tie to finish this entertaining group play.

Comment

Nigeria is out of the tournament. I didn't expect that since they are pretty good individualy, but I was missing a more team-effort approach on offense. Too many forced up one on ones that could've been something better than that, from what I've seen.
                      Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                      That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                        Nigeria is out of the tournament. I didn't expect that since they are pretty good individualy, but I was missing a more team-effort approach on offense. Too many forced up one on ones that could've been something better than that, from what I've seen.
                        Nigeria has had leads in all three games, but squandered them in the fourth quarter. They really need a playmaker to take care of the ball and slow down the game when needed.

Comment

Germany needed to win big (17 points) to finish first. Once they realised this was impossible they lost motivation. Matchups for 2nd place are not much better than 3rd.

No surprises in this group.

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                            I think Mike Brown made a mistake in bringing so many first time players to this tournament. You need players like Diogu, Okoye and Iroegbu who know how play in Fiba. Nigeria lost this with their roster selection.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information