Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: 2021 Basketball Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    Per FIBA's point distribution, there's no difference between the Philippines winning 20 points versus say, Indonesia and Korea winning 60 points versus Thailand. If all countries played in "neutral areas", Korea and the Philippines will be awarded the same points. But since we were the host, we got less points and Korea, more
    Oh okay I see, I also looked into their ranking system and I understand a bit na because without the pandemic supposedly it should be a home and away Format right? In windows and such, so I get the deductions because every team would have had an extra opportunity to win those extra points so in the long run, I can see sad na rankings would be more accurate but of course because of the Pandemic, home and way format is really not possible right now. The only time na one country ang host is in major competitions like the olympics, WC, or regional cups if I am right because the qualifiers and such are played in a home and away format. Hope this pandemic will be over soon, more or less expect nalang na in November it would be the same hosting format.

Per FIBA's point distribution, there's no difference between the Philippines winning 20 points versus say, Indonesia and Korea winning 60 points versus Thailand. If all countries played in "neutral areas", Korea and the Philippines will be awarded the same points. But since we were the host, we got less points and Korea, more
    It also noted that it will also depend on your opponent rankings.. defeating a team who is higher ranking than the other team by 20 pts is double (or triple) rather than defeating a team who is low rank team.. This is the explanation by FIBA why Slovenia gets that high rank.. They defeat Argentina by more than 20 pts, Argentina that time is ranked no.5 in FIBA rankings.. They also defeat Spain, the no.2 ranked team and Lithuania, a top 10 FIBA ranked team.. Let's say we defeat Korea by 20 and we defeat Indonesia by 20, then that is the different story.. Maybe we will be in upperhand on Korea if we did that.. Or if we successfully upset Serbians in OQT then we might go high in FIBA rankings...

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Let's say we defeat Korea by 20 and we defeat Indonesia by 20, then that is the different story..
    I seriously doubt it. Before the new rankings, Korea was only a notch higher than us and the points difference were less than a point. If you look at FIBAs points distribution, they take away quite significant points from being the
    host. It's not like Korea is a top 20 country that we beat by a few points.

If not for our lack of preparation in 2017 and 2019, we probably would have ranked higher than Korea.

I seriously doubt it. Before the new rankings, Korea was only a notch higher than us and the points difference were less than a point. If you look at FIBAs points distribution, they take away quite significant points from being the
    host. It's not like Korea is a top 20 country that we beat by a few points.

If not for our lack of preparation in 2017 and 2019, we probably would have ranked higher than Korea.
    It is already explained by FIBA.. If a team who is lower ranked team clobbered much higher ranked team by more than 10 above, It will double your cumulative points to get that higher ranking.. This is why Slovenia get that higher ranking after Olympics.. They defeat top 10 teams like Spain, Argentina and Lithuania by big margins, thats why they move up 12 places from 16 to 4th place spot.. This is also the reason why Syria get +10 rank from 92 to 82 because they defeat Iran last 2nd window and Qatar last June, Both are higher ranked teams than Syria... Saudi also get high ranking +7 from 93 to 86 because they defeat Qatar and Syria, who are also high ranked teams than them... Read the link i post.. You will see the explanations by FIBA...

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445