USA 108 Argentina 80
    Australia 108 Nigeria 69

Standings

Australia 3W-0L
    Nigeria 2W-1L
    USA 1W-2L
    Argentina 0W-3L

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Much-needed strong performance by the US today, especially the KD/Lillard/Beal/Lavine/Adebayo starting unit. Bench not so great (except for the "walk-ons" at the end!) but at least we can expect improvement there if the rest of the team ever arrives. Tatum DNP with knee soreness.

Two poor showings in a row by Argentina, but the same group was defensively solid at the last WC. Scola with 16 points in 19 minutes today.
    Just two games I remember...

Back in 2019, Argentina loses by 20 point against France in a friendly match.
    In semifinals of the WC Argentina won by 15 points.

Back in 2008 Argentina loses by 40 point against Lithuania in a friendly.
    In the bronce medal game, Argentina won by 15 points.

Friendly games are friendly games, nothing more. Argentina played too much one-to-one in the las vegas tournament. Lack of screens and systems.

Argentina can't play one-to-one, don't have the talent to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by juli_rc View Post
    Friendly games are friendly games, nothing more. Argentina played too much one-to-one in the las vegas tournament. Lack of screens and systems.

Argentina can't play one-to-one, don't have the talent to do so.
    I don't know if it's just that. Facu, Gaby, and Nico look cooked. No inside players to speak of other than Scola, who was overwhelmed against Nigeria. Caffaro seems to be nursing an injury. I'm not sure if they're going to suddenly come back to form. The first game, against Slovenia, is the most important one of the first round. You can discount a loss against Spain, and Japan is just too weak to threat Argentina. But a loss against Slovenia may mean being out of the knockout round.

Fans here (football/soccer fans), are little disappointment and worries with the intensity of the team. But real fans who knows Hernandez (head coach) preparation, are calm.

And the preparation with only 3 friendly is short (by Argentina standards).
    Argentina is a quaterfinal team. No more.
    Time will tell.

Fans here (football/soccer fans), are little disappointment and worries with the intensity of the team. But real fans who knows Hernandez (head coach) preparation, are calm.

And the preparation with only 3 friendly is short (by Argentina standards).
    Argentina is a quaterfinal team. No more.
    Time will tell.
    Well, you're selling yourself short, then. Right now I'm inclined to believe Australia, France, Spain, and USA will be the top seeds; and quite likely advance to semis. But just one upset and everything can change. And there's no tournament without its fair share of upsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Well, you're selling yourself short, then. Right now I'm inclined to believe Australia, France, Spain, and USA will be the top seeds; and quite likely advance to semis. But just one upset and everything can change. And there's no tournament without its fair share of upsets.
    Don't get me wrong... Argentina always always overachieved beyond expectations. In almost every tournament...

I think the winner of Argentina-Slovenia will complete the 4 four best teams for first round, avoiding USA, AUS, SPA and the loser of SLO-ARG in the quarterfinals.
    And the loser of Argentina-Slovenia 50% chances to play USA and other 50% to play AUS.

It will a crucial macht for us.

USA-Australia men's game tomorrow has been cancelled due to covid precautions. Women's game will still be played.
    https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status...70233441562624
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Don't get me wrong... Argentina always always overachieved beyond expectations. In almost every tournament...

I think the winner of Argentina-Slovenia will complete the 4 four best teams for first round, avoiding USA, AUS, SPA and the loser of SLO-ARG in the quarterfinals.
    And the loser of Argentina-Slovenia 50% chances to play USA and other 50% to play AUS.

It will a crucial macht for us.
    I disagree. Quarterfinals matchups will be decided by all the games in every group, and that leaves a lot of room for surprises. Even if group C plays out as you predict (Spain - Argentina - Slovenia), a so-so game against Japan may leave Argentina with less points scored than, say, France in group A. And then you will be pitted against one of the group winners. Or one of the teams in group B could upset Australia, forcing a three-way tie which finishes with Australia advancing as a non-best 2nd.

It's so hard to predict the outcome, that it may be possible that group's C 3rd-place team advances and faces an easier opponent in quarterfinals than the group winner. I'm sure you remember Athens.

can someone set a screen please
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

This last exhibition game went exactly as expected. Spain dominated for a stretch of the game, then started doing what exhibition games are for: trying offensive and defensive plays, and moving the bench. Scariolo gave minutes to 13 players, even to those three who will not go to Tokio, and no one played much more than 20 minutes.

On the other hand, the americans really needed the moral boost of a win, and went all out on the third and early fourth quarter. Their rotation was playoff-tight, with 8 players logging most of the minutes; and their stars playing 30+. I was surprised McGee didn't even get garbage minutes. He's going to debut against France without taking part in a single game before.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    This last exhibition game went exactly as expected. Spain dominated for a stretch of the game, then started doing what exhibition games are for: trying offensive and defensive plays, and moving the bench. Scariolo gave minutes to 13 players, even to those three who will not go to Tokio, and no one played much more than 20 minutes.

On the other hand, the americans really needed the moral boost of a win, and went all out on the third and early fourth quarter. Their rotation was playoff-tight, with 8 players logging most of the minutes; and their stars playing 30+. I was surprised McGee didn't even get garbage minutes. He's going to debut against France without taking part in a single game before.
    Muricans are simply desperate at this point...
    Spain pretty much controlled the game when their starters were playing and looked much more solid in half-court setting (which is only logical I guess). I will consider it an upset if this US team even reaches the Olympic final imo

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Muricans are simply desperate at this point...
    Spain pretty much controlled the game when their starters were playing and looked much more solid in half-court setting (which is only logical I guess). I will consider it an upset if this US team even reaches the Olympic final imo
    I wouldn't say as much. USA is still the gold medal favourite. I mean, you put on the floor a team with Lillard, Durant, and three random HS kids and they still have a chance against anyone. It's simply this year they cannot cruise all the way up to their matchup with Spain, they will need heroics almost every game just to eke out a win. But they can provide those heroics and then some. They just have to care, like in this exhibition game.

Usa played 8 men (Mcgee+3 players in nba finals was out).

Green+Adebayo experiment together was looking really good defensively.

K.Johnson is real suprise for this usa team i like his energy all over the place more than some J.Tatum missing every shot.

Spain is veteran smart team that knows well how to slow down game and do not let opponnent get in any rhythm.

Usa is improving,but its ridiculous to think that only 8 players was preparing together who goes to Tokyo.

4 players 33% of team is just joining them in Tokyo i dont think any team can do this shit and think it will work and there will be no problems with chemistry.

Lack of preparation can bite americans in ass in playoofs game versus real contender.

Pace setter is wahf this us team needs.. they can do pace setting in defensive end also leading to fast breaks yup..more attempts more chance to get co fident or get hot after a cold spell..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12