Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 1257

Thread: 2021 PBA All Filipino Conference

  1. #761
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    As I said already and you can look it again.Taha is much better defender than Bolick, he was assign to Cabagnot. Arwind set a screen to switch the defenders. What would Bolick do in that scenario that will change the outcome.
    Bolick is more faster than Onwubere.. Ferrer can handle Arwind, And if switch happens, Ferrer can bothered Cabagnot because the former is more agile and length wise (In terms of wingspan).. In NBA, they will not let that substitution from a quicker guard for bigger but slow defender, Even in FIBA.. That's why sometimes coach Tab subbing Kai for a agile forward Baltazar in defensive end.. As i said, The line up of Bolick, Taha, Ferrer, Malonzo and Slaughter is already potent defensive 5 for coach Pido in end game.. Di naman maliit si Bolick to be match up nightmare.. Bolick is like 6 flat to 6'1 while Cabagnot is 6'1 (or maybe 6'2).. So that is a fair match up for coach Pido, w/o sacrificing speed... Yung separation na ni Cabagnot when he was guarded by Onwubere eh iwan na kaagad sya, That's why Cabagnot have that time to release that shot very easily...

  2. #762
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Bolick is more faster than Onwubere.. Ferrer can handle Arwind, And if switch happens, Ferrer can bothered Cabagnot because the former is more agile and length wise (In terms of wingspan).. In NBA, they will not let that substitution from a quicker guard for bigger but slow defender, Even in FIBA.. That's why sometimes coach Tab subbing Kai for a agile forward Baltazar in defensive end.. As i said, The line up of Bolick, Taha, Ferrer, Malonzo and Slaughter is already potent defensive 5 for coach Pido in end game.. Di naman maliit si Bolick to be match up nightmare.. Bolick is like 6 flat to 6'1 while Cabagnot is 6'1 (or maybe 6'2).. So that is a fair match up for coach Pido, w/o sacrificing speed... Yung separation na ni Cabagnot when he was guarded by Onwubere eh iwan na kaagad sya, That's why Cabagnot have that time to release that shot very easily...
    Ferrer was guarding Chris Ross. I haven't seen Ferrer block a shot when a shooter does a step to a side move. He might be a little agile but shorter than Onwubere. I dont know who has a longer wingspan.
    Again the point of Bolick is useless as he will just be screen off. Taha is a better defender than Bolick and got screen off.

    At the end it doesn't matter if Ferrer or Onwubere guarding Cabbage, not of them will be able to block that shot unless they anticipate it.

  3. #763
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Bolick is more faster than Onwubere.. Ferrer can handle Arwind, And if switch happens, Ferrer can bothered Cabagnot because the former is more agile and length wise (In terms of wingspan).. In NBA, they will not let that substitution from a quicker guard for bigger but slow defender, Even in FIBA.. That's why sometimes coach Tab subbing Kai for a agile forward Baltazar in defensive end.. As i said, The line up of Bolick, Taha, Ferrer, Malonzo and Slaughter is already potent defensive 5 for coach Pido in end game.. Di naman maliit si Bolick to be match up nightmare.. Bolick is like 6 flat to 6'1 while Cabagnot is 6'1 (or maybe 6'2).. So that is a fair match up for coach Pido, w/o sacrificing speed... Yung separation na ni Cabagnot when he was guarded by Onwubere eh iwan na kaagad sya, That's why Cabagnot have that time to release that shot very easily...
    Bolick can be a pretty tough defender when he wants to. Heck he was used as a "Kiefer stopper" before but I dunno how he'll impact this one. It was a good play. Though in theory he should be able to put more resistance than Sidney provided he doesn't get screened. AFAIK Bolick is taller?

  4. #764
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,503
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    I know people will see that why. But it was a switch and Onwubere wasn't guarding Cabagnot, he was guarding Santos. Arwind set a screen for Cabagnot who was guarded by Taha, and all screen switch is the best strategy even in NBA with that much time left. Even if Bolick was there he will just be screen off.
    Obviously you didn’t understand what you read. What do you think “SMB picked Onwubere” means?
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  5. #765
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Ferrer was guarding Chris Ross. I haven't seen Ferrer block a shot when a shooter does a step to a side move. He might be a little agile but shorter than Onwubere. I dont know who has a longer wingspan.
    Again the point of Bolick is useless as he will just be screen off. Taha is a better defender than Bolick and got screen off.

    At the end it doesn't matter if Ferrer or Onwubere guarding Cabbage, not of them will be able to block that shot unless they anticipate it.
    Atleast if switching happens, Cabagnot will be defended by much agile defender.. Onwubere is slow in defending perimeter (Slaughter is more faster than him pa laterally, check that crucial defensive stop of him against Norwood) .. I don't get why Pido loves Onwubere in crucial defensive end.. How many times Onwubere getting past by his opponents already.. Although give credit to Cabagnot for his ever reliable clutch plays.. But if it is more seasoned coach like Tab, Chot or CTC, They will not put slow defender to the offensive minded players.. Coach Tab always use agile defenders in his crucial defensive plays (Dwight, MIke Nietto, Baltazar, Navarro and Kouame)..

  6. #766
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Bolick can be a pretty tough defender when he wants to. Heck he was used as a "Kiefer stopper" before but I dunno how he'll impact this one. It was a good play. Though in theory he should be able to put more resistance than Sidney provided he doesn't get screened. AFAIK Bolick is taller?
    If it was the defensive 5 of Bolick, Taha, Ferrer, Malonzo and Slaughter is on the floor, SMB will have a hard time to getting past by even on switching defense.. I will get it if Anthony was there to sub Bolick because the former is also good perimeter defender... But NO-NO to Onwubere, He was also the reason of Abueva's big shot (that contoversial sub pattern) and that elims match up between them and SMB, He was the one who guarding Arwind to take that final shot, Too much easy for Arwind that time to hit that shot... Big still, give credit to SMB to know where they were go.. That's experience for you.. That's why even i'm TNT fan, SMB still (and always) favorite to win the title, especially with Junmar is always around.. The only one that we hated SMB is their lopsided trades that occurs on their favor..

  7. #767
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,364
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Obviously you didn’t understand what you read. What do you think “SMB picked Onwubere” means?
    I think the more proper term is "hunted." When you pick a player, usually refers to the player being screened.

    Hunting is, you're looking for the matchup after the PnR switch.

  8. #768
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4,364
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    Hahaha thanks bro. But what the commentator (Carlo Pamintuan I think) said was also true. Bolick is really just a born winner. He can shoot 20% all game but I'd trust him to make a crucial shot.

    Mind boggling why he was subbed out for the last play. It's not as if he's a terrible defender. Also, the coaching staff should've known that they didn't have any timeouts left to bring back Bolick in the event that SMB made a shot (which is what happened.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yabuki View Post
    I dont mind him taking those shots, if it means he'll drain them more consistently in the future, by all means. But yeah, the man has insane mental strength
    Can't disagree about Bolick's mental fortitude. The guy wants to win, has the will.

  9. #769
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Can't disagree about Bolick's mental fortitude. The guy wants to win, has the will.
    Remember that quote of him before "Tatalunin natin ang Tunisia".. That is "PUSO" mentality of Bolick.. Hope coach Tab invite him again.. His presence will uplift the spirits of our Gilas pool.. As our current generation players likes of Dwight, Kai, Kouame, etc.. are great talents, We badly needed a guy who has "NO FEAR" whatever opponent he will face... much-much better compare to mentality of Kiefer, Parks and Perez...

  10. #770
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I think the more proper term is "hunted." When you pick a player, usually refers to the player being screened.

    Hunting is, you're looking for the matchup after the PnR switch.
    Same reason of how DR defeat Gilas badly last OQT.. In halftime, we lead by 4 that time.. But in 3rd, DR exposed our guards and anytime who will facing among Belangel and Abbarientos eh tinetake advantage nila every possession.. Caoch Tab has nothing to do that time because their size are too small for them and DR guards are too fast for them

  11. #771
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,199
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Same reason of how DR defeat Gilas badly last OQT.. In halftime, we lead by 4 that time.. But in 3rd, DR exposed our guards and anytime who will facing among Belangel and Abbarientos eh tinetake advantage nila every possession.. Caoch Tab has nothing to do that time because their size are too small for them and DR guards are too fast for them
    Speaking of DR, their pro league LNB seems to be quite competitive. It is an 8-team league. On average, most teams have 5-6 imports; the fewest have 4 while the team with most number imports have 7.

    I hope that a Filipino player can play as an import there.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  12. #772
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8,097
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Speaking of DR, their pro league LNB seems to be quite competitive. It is an 8-team league. On average, most teams have 5-6 imports; the fewest have 4 while the team with most number imports have 7.

    I hope that a Filipino player can play as an import there.
    Maybe their league is open to all nationality w/o limit.. Maybe the reason why they are too good for us, Their league is exposed with high level talents coming to play there.. While our PBA? Is Kume Marcial have a plan already for 2nd conference? I don't think it will push thru w/ imports.. Too much expensive to get imports that they need them to follow our health protocols.. Imagine a PBA team sacked their 1st import due to poor performance.. Their replacement need to quarantine for more than a week to get go signal.. That's too expensive, especially for independent teams w/ not so lucrative expenses and might they will play some games w/o import, especially the schedule is compressed.. They need to hire 2 imports already for back up plan in case of replacement, or injured, or due to COVID protocols.. That's tough for most of the teams there...

  13. #773
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,199
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Maybe their league is open to all nationality w/o limit.. Maybe the reason why they are too good for us, Their league is exposed with high level talents coming to play there.. While our PBA? Is Kume Marcial have a plan already for 2nd conference? I don't think it will push thru w/ imports.. Too much expensive to get imports that they need them to follow our health protocols.. Imagine a PBA team sacked their 1st import due to poor performance.. Their replacement need to quarantine for more than a week to get go signal.. That's too expensive, especially for independent teams w/ not so lucrative expenses and might they will play some games w/o import, especially the schedule is compressed.. They need to hire 2 imports already for back up plan in case of replacement, or injured, or due to COVID protocols.. That's tough for most of the teams there...
    Makulit yung PBA. They want imports pala, then they should have gone with a single tournament season with imports to lessen their expenses.

  14. #774
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    198
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Atleast if switching happens, Cabagnot will be defended by much agile defender.. Onwubere is slow in defending perimeter (Slaughter is more faster than him pa laterally, check that crucial defensive stop of him against Norwood) .. I don't get why Pido loves Onwubere in crucial defensive end.. How many times Onwubere getting past by his opponents already.. Although give credit to Cabagnot for his ever reliable clutch plays.. But if it is more seasoned coach like Tab, Chot or CTC, They will not put slow defender to the offensive minded players.. Coach Tab always use agile defenders in his crucial defensive plays (Dwight, MIke Nietto, Baltazar, Navarro and Kouame)..
    Is it possible Ferrer and Onwubere are Pido's go-to guys if he needs an L in crunchtime? Maybe Pido has leeway to win game 2. Lets see his sub patterns if its close in crunch time. The real question is who will get Bollick next year? He seems ripe for the picking.

  15. #775
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,242
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rds View Post
    Is it possible Ferrer and Onwubere are Pido's go-to guys if he needs an L in crunchtime? Maybe Pido has leeway to win game 2. Lets see his sub patterns if its close in crunch time. The real question is who will get Bollick next year? He seems ripe for the picking.
    Snow has reported in the past the Bolick will end up with Bolick at some point (iirc). Just now, he mentioned that Ginebra will get Romeo. I wonder who SMB gets..

  16. #776
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,199
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    Snow has reported in the past the Bolick will end up with Bolick at some point (iirc). Just now, he mentioned that Ginebra will get Romeo. I wonder who SMB gets..
    Ginawa nilang NBA 2K21 yung PBA. SMH

    Trans: PBA is the real-life NBA 2K21.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  17. #777
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    198
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    It already came out on JF mouth he wanted rice. If you want to dispute that he is lying in that interview go ahead show proof. All you have is an opinion against a known truth. If Kots Leo wants just an inside presence then he won't let Tautua shot threes. But that is not the case either. Where is the pudding there. . Unless you are a insider then its all speculations.
    Is Tautuaa as dominant as JF inside? No. At JFs peak he was unstoppable inside. Not even Greg or Japeth could stop him. Again would JF be as dominant inside with a lighter weight? Probably not. He was pushed a bit by NZ guys. Would he be a better perimeter defender? Yes, he defended the perimeter the best he ever did that OQT. Would SMB won 5 AFCs with a lighter weight? Probably not. He could be pushed around in the paint. His improved perimeter would not be necessary because his teammates amd referee calls make up for it anyway.

    People say untruths if they have to. But results dont lie. SMB won with a heavy JF. Look at how they are struggling with a lighter JF now. But they have no choice because they know going back to his previous playing weight will break his shin. June Mar has showned he could play well at a lighter weight. But Kots Leo hasnt yet he can win with a lighter JF. He is forced to now. Congrats to him and the team they are still winning though not as dominant. But this would be Leos biggest achievement if he does win it IMO. Because without he did it with a less dominant JF.

  18. #778
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,503
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I think the more proper term is "hunted." When you pick a player, usually refers to the player being screened.

    Hunting is, you're looking for the matchup after the PnR switch.
    That’s just semantics. Chosen would have been more apt than hunted, with regards to what I meant. It doesn’t make sense to construe pick as screened in this case as it was Taha that was screened/picked to momentarily free up Cabagnot and force the switch.

    The point is that Onwubere came in with a huge target in his back. He was “cold” and he’s challenged laterally. It’s an old coaching trick similar in principle to “freezing” the free throw shooter.

    Only few people wouldn’t find that decision by Coach Pido head scratching. Those who do most likely didn’t find anything wrong either, with that previous Onwubere for Slaughter inbound play brouhaha.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  19. #779
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,242
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Ginawa nilang NBA 2K21 yung PBA. SMH

    Trans: PBA is the real-life NBA 2K21.
    Hahaha parang interdepartment sportsfest ng SMC. With guest teams from MVP. Lol

  20. #780
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,199
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    Hahaha parang interdepartment sportsfest ng SMC. With guest teams from MVP. Lol
    Association mode with SMB, Magnolia and Ginebra as the player's teams. Forced trade option is enabled. Tsk tsk
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •