2021 PBA All Filipino Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rds View Post
    Maybe the problem is his body right now is for a 3 but Yeng wants him at 4. Maybe he has to improve his handles to convince Yeng he can play the 3.
    What do you mean convince Coach Yeng he can play the 3? Oftana plays the 3 under him, even slides him to 2. Coach Yeng’s 4/5 rotations are Miranda, Soyud, Quinahan, Porter and McAloney.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^

In yesterday's game for instance, NLEX starting 5 were Miranda, Soyud, Oftana, Paniamogan & Jericho Cruz.

Miranda & Soyud played as the bigs so Oftana obviously played the 3 spot. Everytime Oftana was on the floor NLEX will have 2 bigs - anyone from among Miranda, Soyud, Quinahan, Porter and McAloney. I remember an instance in the 2nd quarter when NLEX had Miranda, Soyud, Oftana, Semarad & perhaps Jericho Cruz on the floor, so maybe Oftana played some 2-guard in that instance.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        ^ ^ ^ ^

In yesterday's game for instance, NLEX starting 5 were Miranda, Soyud, Oftana, Paniamogan & Jericho Cruz.

Miranda & Soyud played as the bigs so Oftana obviously played the 3 spot. Everytime Oftana was on the floor NLEX will have 2 bigs - anyone from among Miranda, Soyud, Quinahan, Porter and McAloney. I remember an instance in the 2nd quarter when NLEX had Miranda, Soyud, Oftana, Semarad & perhaps Jericho Cruz on the floor, so maybe Oftana played some 2-guard in that instance.
        They're quite crowded at the 3/2 spot with Semerad, Trollano, Oftana (Yeng likes these types of players). ATM he's the worst defensively so Yeng might play the other 2 more kapag dikdikan na. And that's not mentioning their undersized guards who are tough as hell as well

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          ^ ^ ^ ^

Coach Yeng gives him playmaking and secondary ballhandling duties as well. Bodes well for his development as a 2. He is actually tight handles away from being a legit big guard. Coach Yeng has no problem whatsoever putting him on guards defensively, and Oftana does just fine.

Comment

• In the context of PBA or PHL basketball in general, Oftana's current perimeter game and handles in that 6'5" frame of his is more than what coaches (and fans like us) can ask for. I think he a very capable offensive tall wing and just needs CYG's blessing to break free from team system so he can run amok on offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
              They're quite crowded at the 3/2 spot with Semerad, Trollano, Oftana (Yeng likes these types of players). ATM he's the worst defensively so Yeng might play the other 2 more kapag dikdikan na. And that's not mentioning their undersized guards who are tough as hell as well
              Idk about being the worst defensively. Been keenly watching NLEX games since the departure of Kiefer (missed but one game since) and Coach Yeng always put Oftana on the primary offensive threat from the wing/guard (Wright, Mikey Williams, Bolick) even if he is paired with either Trollano or Semerad. NLEX actually has a phlethora of defensive wings and you can add Ighalo to the list. Against Northport, Bolick was scorching hot at one point and burned every defender he faced from Cruz to Trollano. Coach Yeng fielded in Oftana to hound him and Bolick did simmer down.

Trollano and Semerad might be the more physical defenders, but the quickness and agility department belongs to Oftana. He can go around screens and recover faster better than the two.

Comment

• Meralco wins over BGSM 79-66, damn, the Gins might not make the playoffs, Cstan has been a trojan horse for Ginkings

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                  Meralco wins over BGSM 79-66, damn, the Gins might not make the playoffs, Cstan has been a trojan horse for Ginkings
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                    Idk about being the worst defensively. Been keenly watching NLEX games since the departure of Kiefer (missed but one game since) and Coach Yeng always put Oftana on the primary offensive threat from the wing/guard (Wright, Mikey Williams, Bolick) even if he is paired with either Trollano or Semerad. NLEX actually has a phlethora of defensive wings and you can add Ighalo to the list. Against Northport, Bolick was scorching hot at one point and burned every defender he faced from Cruz to Trollano. Coach Yeng fielded in Oftana to hound him and Bolick did simmer down.

Trollano and Semerad might be the more physical defenders, but the quickness and agility department belongs to Oftana. He can go around screens and recover faster better than the two.
                    That's encouraging to hear as those two are pretty agile and quick for their size and are some of the better perimeter defenders in the PBA. Hope he can learn a thing or two from those guys

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                      Meralco wins over BGSM 79-66, damn, the Gins might not make the playoffs, Cstan has been a trojan horse for Ginkings
                      If Ginebra misses the playoffs, they'll get a draft pick as high as 2, especially if there's no second conference.

And if there's a Gilas draft, well, they get that as well.

I want Ginebra to build through the draft, yes, but I'd like it if it weren't at the expense of Gilas, whether long-term or short-term (which is part of the reason why I want Ginebra to let their guys play for Gilas).

Comment

• Why tf does Bolick keep on shooting those very long range 3s? Does he think he's Lillard? PBA site shows that he's only a 26% 3PT shooter. FFS.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubidub View Post
                          Why tf does Bolick keep on shooting those very long range 3s? Does he think he's Lillard? PBA site shows that he's only a 26% 3PT shooter. FFS.
                          Exactly my thoughts, and I’m a big Bolick fan. I think those shots should be a desperation try variety and not something you do regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Money View Post
                            Speaking of Alaska. They might be getting 2 out of top 5 picks in the upcoming draft. I guess they should just get rid of some of their fil foreign players for them to accomodate the incomimg rookies.
                            Brickman to replace jvee, Baltazar with Danny I.

Comment

• I really don’t get why after the fiba Asia got cancelled, the gilas players did not play for their PBA clubs. They are just sitting down now doing nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by dubidub View Post
                                Why tf does Bolick keep on shooting those very long range 3s? Does he think he's Lillard? PBA site shows that he's only a 26% 3PT shooter. FFS.
                                To be relatively fair though. The PBA website isn't as updated as what we thought it would be. And Bolick has been hitting those crazy shots during their team scrimmages based on some posts. But him doing it over and over again makes me sick as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information