2022 FIBA asia cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
    I'm not saying it's guaranteed that PBA players will not be included. If they're needed then why not, but I'm just saying they're not necessarily needed, of course it is under the assumption that those outside the PBA ( Thirdy, Clarkson, AJ, Tuffin) are both available and sufficient.

Reason said it isn't necessary inevitable

I do think even if we eventually come to the conclusion that we still need some PBA players for 2023 , that doesn't necessarily mean we have to include them is the Asia cup.
    Basically the WC qualifiers 6 windows is the tryout of who we should include in 2023, many opportunities to figure that out
    Its not an argument about whether PBA players are needed or not by Gilas for the 2023 World Cup but more on whether SBP is pushing for that idea (PBA reinforcements for Gilas) or not. Of course most of us here are under the impression that PBA likes the idea of reinforcing Gilas with its star/superstar players (As I've kept on saying, PBA wants to ride on the Gilas bandwagon) & SBP, in its desire to have a harmonious relationship with the PBA, is buying such idea.

You know how things are run in Phi basketball bro.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

The 2022 Jones Cup is another opportunity to tryout suitable PBA players for 2023 ..
      So aside from.6 windows lots of opportunities to integrate and test if some players are suitable

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        Its not an argument about whether PBA players are needed or not by Gilas for the 2023 World Cup but more on whether SBP is pushing for that idea (PBA reinforcements for Gilas) or not. Of course most of us here are under the impression that PBA likes the idea of reinforcing Gilas with its star/superstar players (As I've kept on saying, PBA wants to ride on the Gilas bandwagon) & SBP, in its desire to have a harmonious relationship with the PBA, is buying such idea.

You know how things are run in Phi basketball bro.
        It depends which SBP stakeholder you talk to, all stakeholder don't think the same, if you ask Al maybe some PBA governor associated to MVP, they will give the politically correct answer.. it's better to say they're still needed .

But from a purely FIBA basketball standpoint it doesn't really matter, whoever the coach thinks .forms the best team. (Not best 12 ). And that mean either with PBA or without PBA players.
        Obviously if you have a Kiefer that has available time and is committed to Gilas and he performs , bakit hindi.

But if the PBA player is hugot , no matter how talented , I don't think that would fit

Here is the thing we can't determine and identify these players only in July 2023.. and do instant hugot like we did in 2011 FIBA Asia

Comment

It depends which SBP stakeholder you talk to, all stakeholder don't think the same, if you ask Al maybe some PBA governor associated to MVP, they will give the politically correct answer.. it's better to say they're still needed .

But from a purely FIBA basketball standpoint it doesn't really matter, whoever the coach thinks .forms the best team. (Not best 12 ). And that mean either with PBA or without PBA players.
          Obviously if you have a Kiefer that has available time and is committed to Gilas and he performs , bakit hindi.

But if the PBA player is hugot , no matter how talented , I don't think that would fit

Here is the thing we can't determine and identify these players only in July 2023.. and do instant hugot like we did in 2011 FIBA Asia
          I think there would be a negotiation between SBP and PBA with regards to the amount of time that they could lend their players. I think I heard somewhere that Tab would require at least 1 month of full time training. I think PBA may agree to that and adjust their schedule as a show of their "supreme sacrifice" for the country....however, this would only apply for very important competitions like the World Cup...and not "Jones Cup".

I think PBA will force at least 3-5 PBA players in Gilas for very important games. I think that's the likely case.

Comment

The 2022 Jones Cup is another opportunity to tryout suitable PBA players for 2023 ..
            So aside from.6 windows lots of opportunities to integrate and test if some players are suitable
            hope jones cup pushes through.
            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Jones Cup is usually held during July or August, right? A time when PBA season is in full swing (based of the original PBA scheduling prior to the pandemic).

That is why I strongly advocate for a change of PBA calendar which would set the PBA off season during the months of July, August & Sept. - period when FIBA tournaments & other international tourneys like Jones Cup are held.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Jones Cup is usually held during July or August, right? A time when PBA season is in full swing (based of the original PBA scheduling prior to the pandemic).

That is why I strongly advocate for a change of PBA calendar which would set the PBA off season during the months of July, August & Sept. - period when FIBA tournaments & other international tourneys like Jones Cup are held.
                I seriously doubt that PBA will adjust their schedule for Jones Cup...they will only adjust their schedule for Fiba Asia or Fiba World.......if Jones Cup is near to one of them, then maybe.

Comment

Kaya nga this is my idea on how to reinforce the Gilas team with PBA players without messing up Gilas' chemistry/cohesion:

If PBA is really that sincere in lending a No. of its players fkr Gilas, then it has to make some sacrifice.

This for me is the more feasible solution to augment the current Gilas squad with some PBA players without messing up what is already an established chemistry or cohesion our current Gilas team have at present:

Get only 3 PBA players as reinforcement, & that's it. My choices for those 3 players are Kiefer, Pogoy & Wright. Since Kiefer & Pogoy had already trained with Gilas before, then they already have some degree of familiarity with Tab-s system.

Give those 3 PBA players at least 3 weeks to train with Gilas in the 2021 Asia Cup in August. Then in the 1st window of the 2023 World Cup qualifiers, release those 3 players from their respective PBA teams 10 days prior to that window in November (Remember that we really don't need to always win in this qualifiers becoz we got outright qualification being one of the hosts). Then during the PBA off season, allow Kiefer & company to train with Gilas for about 3 weeks.

So this would be the set up for every qualifying window of 2023 World Cup & the PBA off season leading to the 2023 World Cup. Then prior to the 2023 World Cup, Kiefer & company should train for at least 1 month.

Which if we sum it up, the total period Kiefer, Pogoy & Wright train with Gilas prior to the 2023 World Cup would be at least 4 months. I think that is sufficient enough period for Kiefer & company.

PBA needs to make some sacrifice naman for the success of Gilas.

Comment

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This set up wouldn't be liked what happened to coach Toroman's Gilas-1 in 2011 in which PBA reinforcements RDO, Kelly Williams & Alapag joined the team at the "11th hour".

Now, imagine what would have happened if Gilas-1 with the PBA reinforcements had this kind of training set-up (as I stated above) in 2011 FIBA Asia Championship.

Comment

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This set up wouldn't be liked what happened to coach Toroman's Gilas-1 in 2011 in which PBA reinforcements RDO, Kelly Williams & Alapag joined the team at the "11th hour".

Now, imagine what would have happened if Gilas-1 with the PBA reinforcements had this kind of training set-up (as I stated above) in 2011 FIBA Asia Championship.
                      Realistically, SMB would want to put up a commercial showing their SMB players as the heroes of Gilas.....as such, they will impose at least some SMB players in Gilas.

They will push Paul Lee, Japeth and Junemar in Gilas

Comment

Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
                        Realistically, SMB would want to put up a commercial showing their SMB players as the heroes of Gilas.....as such, they will impose at least some SMB players in Gilas.

They will push Paul Lee, Japeth and Junemar in Gilas
                        I'm onboard with Japeth and Junemar.

Paul Lee? Pass.

Comment

they need to commit to at least 60 days practice even if it's the reigning mvp or 'mythical' team members. and even then they should not be guaranteed a slot and have to compete with the current pool

Comment

Originally posted by magic_chiongson View Post
                            they need to commit to at least 60 days practice even if it's the reigning mvp or 'mythical' team members. and even then they should not be guaranteed a slot and have to compete with the current pool
                            I agree with you...but asa pa tayo....SMB will be able to dictate their terms and the way a lot of these "lnowledgeable" coaches are saying...Gilas need players with experience.

Comment

2022, asa, taiwan will never risk their economy..
                              To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                              1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Fiba Asia Cup now on the verge of getting cancelled due to the rising cases in indonesia.
                                The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information