Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1268

Thread: 2021 FIBA asia cup

  1. #1
    Senior Member Silent Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,064
    Country: Philippines

    Default 2021 FIBA asia cup

    Talk about 2021 FIBA asia cup tournament here..

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Who do you think will be the final 12 line up for this tournament? And is still Tab Baldwin will be the coach for this tournament?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Talk about 2021 FIBA asia cup tournament here..
    The qualifiers is already thru in so far as Gilas is concerned so its better we start talking about the 2021 Asia Cup tournament proper.

    So guys who among you here are in favor of PBA players (about 3 players) reinforcing Gilas in this tournament with the understanding that these 3 players will train with Gilas at least 3 weeks prior to the 2021 Asia Cup tournament (This is just pure hypothetical guys ha)?

    My take is, I'm ok with this idea provided that these same 3 players would consistently reinforce Gilas in the upcoming window qualifiers of the 2023 FIBA World Cup (that's 6 windows) & train with Gilas during the PBA off-season.

    Now if these conditions could not be met, then I'm strongly against the idea of PBA players reinforcing Gilas.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  4. #4
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,365
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    for me the reinforcements is not a question if they're from PBA or amateur , but the question is have they been in this years Calamba training for at least 2 weeks?
    only exception is Thridy as he knows Tab's Ateneo system

    So litterally the prospects are limited to
    Kiefer
    Thirdy
    Matt
    Suerte
    Dave

    i forget if 1GDL and Oftana were in Calamba, if yes then that's remotely possible



    Note for the Asia cup we only have 3 weeks preparation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    for me the reinforcements is not a question if they're from PBA or amateur , but the question is have they been in this years Calamba training for at least 2 weeks?
    only exception is Thridy as he knows Tab's Ateneo system

    So litterally the prospects are limited to
    Kiefer
    Thirdy
    Matt
    Suerte
    Dave

    i forget if 1GDL and Oftana were in Calamba, if yes then that's remotely possible



    Note for the Asia cup we only have 3 weeks preparation.
    Maybe guys like Troy, Pogoy, Chua will be invited too (Perez should be also but ask Long Hair first), As they are also trained and knows Tab's system.. Much better if we have more bodies in the pool, Especially in case of injuries will happen...

  6. #6
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,365
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    speaking of those who were in the Calamba pool this year (2021), can someone list the full list of players who were in Calamba this year ( 2021) ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,365
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Maybe guys like Troy, Pogoy, Chua will be invited too (Perez should be also but ask Long Hair first), As they are also trained and knows Tab's system.. Much better if we have more bodies in the pool, Especially in case of injuries will happen...
    I would agree with new additions for the WC qualifying windows ( long term) but not for the Asia cup with 2 weeks preperation after Belgrade. kulang sa oras, we need players who were training in Calamba this year

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Aside of Gilas.. Teams to watch in Asia cup are Guam (If qualify), KSA (If qualify) and the host Indonesia... This is also first time since 1999 that Qatar and Hong Kong will not play for this tournament, As they bow out last qualifiers, It is possible that Taipei and India might also bow out from the tournament.. Taipei is always regular participant since 1985 and always qualified since then, while India always qualified since 1999.. Will be the end of these two? Will Indonesia will crack at top 8 to qualify at 2023 WC as host? Let's see!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I'm with the assumption that the PBA players whom coach Tab is eyeing to reinforce Gilas in the upcoming 2021 FIBA Asia Cup are the very same players he would want to augment Gilas in the 2023 FIBA World Cup.

    And in order for these PBA reinforcements to assimilate with Tab's system & establish cohesion or chemistry with the team, they have to continue training & play for Gilas in the 6 window qualifiers of the 2023 World Cup so that by the 2023 World Cup tournament proper, PBA reinforcements are already well assimilated with the system & are already well bonded with their other Gilas teammates.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    I would agree with new additions for the WC qualifying windows ( long term) but not for the Asia cup with 2 weeks preperation after Belgrade. kulang sa oras, we need players who were training in Calamba this year
    Troy, Pogoy and Chua were in Calamba since January to February this year.. So they might be included... They already know the system... Of the three, Pogoy will be valuable asset due to his shooting.. Maybe Tab will bring the best of him.. And he has defense.. He has the advantage over guys like Bulanadi, Dave and Heading at that position...

  11. #11
    Senior Member sroth3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    153
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Troy, Pogoy and Chua were in Calamba since January to February this year.. So they might be included... They already know the system... Of the three, Pogoy will be valuable asset due to his shooting.. Maybe Tab will bring the best of him.. And he has defense.. He has the advantage over guys like Bulanadi, Dave and Heading at that position...
    Also defense. Pogoy's replacement was Suerte if I remember correctly and the two simply are miles apart in terms of skill and experience.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Aside of Gilas.. Teams to watch in Asia cup are Guam (If qualify), KSA (If qualify) and the host Indonesia... This is also first time since 1999 that Qatar and Hong Kong will not play for this tournament, As they bow out last qualifiers, It is possible that Taipei and India might also bow out from the tournament.. Taipei is always regular participant since 1985 and always qualified since then, while India always qualified since 1999.. Will be the end of these two? Will Indonesia will crack at top 8 to qualify at 2023 WC as host? Let's see!!!
    Its really unfortunate that Saudi Arabia which has exhibited improvement & promise recently, is in danger of not making it to the 2021 Asia Cup, while Indonesia, being the host, gets automatic qualification. The Saudis showed promise in the qualifiers by putting up gallant stand vs. Iran in 2 games & beating fellow improving Middle East team Syria in the 3rd window. Indonesia on the other hand is far from impressive losing to Gilas twice & losing Korea twice, all blowout games. Indonesia could only beat a depleted & demoralized Thailand team.

    The thing is, I'm not even sure if this Indonesia team is capable of beating Saudi Arabia.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  13. #13
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,365
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    ^^
    I don't think so, Dalph and AJ are prospects for 2023, but it is unrealistic for them to come in late for the asia cup , not enough time really. even assuming they were available this August.

    oh if Pogoy and troy were in Calamba this year like Kiefer then , that feasible , but were they ?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sroth3839 View Post
    Also defense. Pogoy's replacement was Suerte if I remember correctly and the two simply are miles apart in terms of skill and experience.
    I like Pogoy's instinct of fighting off screens/picks. I think Pogoy is perfect for a highly physical game like what Korea threw at Gilas in the 3rd window.

    If Pogoy shoots like the way he did in last year's PBA Clark bubble, I think Pogoy would be a big help for Gilas both offensively & defensively. He just needs the reps playing under coach Tab's system to be really effective.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Its really unfortunate that Saudi Arabia which has exhibited improvement & promise recently, is in danger of not making it to the 2021 Asia Cup, while Indonesia, being the host, gets automatic qualification. The Saudis showed promise in the qualifiers by putting up gallant stand vs. Iran in 2 games & beating fellow improving Middle East team Syria in the 3rd window. Indonesia on the other hand is far from impressive losing to Gilas twice & losing Korea twice, all blowout games. Indonesia could only beat a depleted & demoralized Thailand team.

    The thing is, I'm not even sure if this Indonesia team is capable of beating Saudi Arabia.
    That's the beauty of hosting.. We should thank them because actually no one wants to host for this tournament because of Covid crisis, But they volunteered.. It should be Australia but they back out because of strict protocols in Australia.. Saudi can still qualify because they have advantage over Palestine (They beat this team at Pre-Qualifiers 2018) and India (known as hard time beating Middle east teams, losing twice to Bahrain, KSA are much better than Bahrain).. It's Taipei vs Guam will be the most crucial game because for me, Both of these teams deserves to play in Asia cup but only one of them will prevail...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,483
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    ^^
    I don't think so, Dalph and AJ are prospects for 2023, but it is unrealistic for them to come in late for the asia cup , not enough time really. even assuming they were available this August.

    oh if Pogoy and troy were in Calamba this year like Kiefer then , that feasible , but were they ?
    Yes, together with Kiefer, Soyud, Chua and Perez were in Calamba early January to mid February...

  17. #17
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,365
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Yes, together with Kiefer, Soyud, Chua and Perez were in Calamba early January to mid February...
    Then they should be Ok , assuming their PBA teams release them
    here is the thing as we only have 2 -3 weeks prep the pool should only be around 15 players for better focus.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,143
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Yes, together with Kiefer, Soyud, Chua and Perez were in Calamba early January to mid February...
    I thought Pogoy was in Calamba last Jan. to Feb, wala pala.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    995
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I like Pogoy's instinct of fighting off screens/picks. I think Pogoy is perfect for a highly physical game like what Korea threw at Gilas in the 3rd window.

    If Pogoy shoots like the way he did in last year's PBA Clark bubble, I think Pogoy would be a big help for Gilas both offensively & defensively. He just needs the reps playing under coach Tab's system to be really effective.
    With Indonesia's performance in the 3 windows, it's very doubtful that they can make it in the top 8 come August

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    ^^
    I don't think so, Dalph and AJ are prospects for 2023, but it is unrealistic for them to come in late for the asia cup , not enough time really. even assuming they were available this August.

    oh if Pogoy and troy were in Calamba this year like Kiefer then , that feasible , but were they ?

    I can see Pogoy,for more firepower,but Troy? He will bump off either Carl or Balti,those two are improving and adapting in the FIBA settings and I think they both have more upsides in both of them specially on offense than Troy.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •