2022 FIBA asia cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 FIBA asia cup

Talk about 2021 FIBA asia cup tournament here..
    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Talk about 2021 FIBA asia cup tournament here..
    The qualifiers is already thru in so far as Gilas is concerned so its better we start talking about the 2021 Asia Cup tournament proper.

So guys who among you here are in favor of PBA players (about 3 players) reinforcing Gilas in this tournament with the understanding that these 3 players will train with Gilas at least 3 weeks prior to the 2021 Asia Cup tournament (This is just pure hypothetical guys ha)?

My take is, I'm ok with this idea provided that these same 3 players would consistently reinforce Gilas in the upcoming window qualifiers of the 2023 FIBA World Cup (that's 6 windows) & train with Gilas during the PBA off-season.

Now if these conditions could not be met, then I'm strongly against the idea of PBA players reinforcing Gilas.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

for me the reinforcements is not a question if they're from PBA or amateur , but the question is have they been in this years Calamba training for at least 2 weeks?
      only exception is Thridy as he knows Tab's Ateneo system

So litterally the prospects are limited to
      Kiefer
      Thirdy
      Matt
      Suerte
      Dave

i forget if 1GDL and Oftana were in Calamba, if yes then that's remotely possible

Note for the Asia cup we only have 3 weeks preparation.

Comment

speaking of those who were in the Calamba pool this year (2021), can someone list the full list of players who were in Calamba this year ( 2021) ?

Comment

Originally posted by robert0326
          Maybe guys like Troy, Pogoy, Chua will be invited too (Perez should be also but ask Long Hair first), As they are also trained and knows Tab's system.. Much better if we have more bodies in the pool, Especially in case of injuries will happen...
          I would agree with new additions for the WC qualifying windows ( long term) but not for the Asia cup with 2 weeks preperation after Belgrade. kulang sa oras, we need players who were training in Calamba this year

Comment

I'm with the assumption that the PBA players whom coach Tab is eyeing to reinforce Gilas in the upcoming 2021 FIBA Asia Cup are the very same players he would want to augment Gilas in the 2023 FIBA World Cup.

And in order for these PBA reinforcements to assimilate with Tab's system & establish cohesion or chemistry with the team, they have to continue training & play for Gilas in the 6 window qualifiers of the 2023 World Cup so that by the 2023 World Cup tournament proper, PBA reinforcements are already well assimilated with the system & are already well bonded with their other Gilas teammates.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Troy, Pogoy and Chua were in Calamba since January to February this year.. So they might be included... They already know the system... Of the three, Pogoy will be valuable asset due to his shooting.. Maybe Tab will bring the best of him.. And he has defense.. He has the advantage over guys like Bulanadi, Dave and Heading at that position...
              Also defense. Pogoy's replacement was Suerte if I remember correctly and the two simply are miles apart in terms of skill and experience.

Comment

Aside of Gilas.. Teams to watch in Asia cup are Guam (If qualify), KSA (If qualify) and the host Indonesia... This is also first time since 1999 that Qatar and Hong Kong will not play for this tournament, As they bow out last qualifiers, It is possible that Taipei and India might also bow out from the tournament.. Taipei is always regular participant since 1985 and always qualified since then, while India always qualified since 1999.. Will be the end of these two? Will Indonesia will crack at top 8 to qualify at 2023 WC as host? Let's see!!!
                Its really unfortunate that Saudi Arabia which has exhibited improvement & promise recently, is in danger of not making it to the 2021 Asia Cup, while Indonesia, being the host, gets automatic qualification. The Saudis showed promise in the qualifiers by putting up gallant stand vs. Iran in 2 games & beating fellow improving Middle East team Syria in the 3rd window. Indonesia on the other hand is far from impressive losing to Gilas twice & losing Korea twice, all blowout games. Indonesia could only beat a depleted & demoralized Thailand team.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if this Indonesia team is capable of beating Saudi Arabia.

Comment

^^
                  I don't think so, Dalph and AJ are prospects for 2023, but it is unrealistic for them to come in late for the asia cup , not enough time really. even assuming they were available this August.

oh if Pogoy and troy were in Calamba this year like Kiefer then , that feasible , but were they ?

Comment

Originally posted by sroth3839 View Post
                    Also defense. Pogoy's replacement was Suerte if I remember correctly and the two simply are miles apart in terms of skill and experience.
                    I like Pogoy's instinct of fighting off screens/picks. I think Pogoy is perfect for a highly physical game like what Korea threw at Gilas in the 3rd window.

If Pogoy shoots like the way he did in last year's PBA Clark bubble, I think Pogoy would be a big help for Gilas both offensively & defensively. He just needs the reps playing under coach Tab's system to be really effective.

Comment

Yes, together with Kiefer, Soyud, Chua and Perez were in Calamba early January to mid February...
                      Then they should be Ok , assuming their PBA teams release them
                      here is the thing as we only have 2 -3 weeks prep the pool should only be around 15 players for better focus.

Comment

Yes, together with Kiefer, Soyud, Chua and Perez were in Calamba early January to mid February...
                        I thought Pogoy was in Calamba last Jan. to Feb, wala pala.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                          I like Pogoy's instinct of fighting off screens/picks. I think Pogoy is perfect for a highly physical game like what Korea threw at Gilas in the 3rd window.

If Pogoy shoots like the way he did in last year's PBA Clark bubble, I think Pogoy would be a big help for Gilas both offensively & defensively. He just needs the reps playing under coach Tab's system to be really effective.
                          With Indonesia's performance in the 3 windows, it's very doubtful that they can make it in the top 8 come August

Comment

Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                            ^^
                            I don't think so, Dalph and AJ are prospects for 2023, but it is unrealistic for them to come in late for the asia cup , not enough time really. even assuming they were available this August.

oh if Pogoy and troy were in Calamba this year like Kiefer then , that feasible , but were they ?

I can see Pogoy,for more firepower,but Troy? He will bump off either Carl or Balti,those two are improving and adapting in the FIBA settings and I think they both have more upsides in both of them specially on offense than Troy.

Comment

Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
                              With Indonesia's performance in the 3 windows, it's very doubtful that they can make it in the top 8 come August
                              Australia, China, Korea, japan, New Zealand, Philippines, Lebanon, Jordan, Iran, Kazakhstan (in no particular order) are going to crowd for the top 8 spots. That's 10 teams right there who are obviously stronger than Indonesia.

Then there's Bahrain, Syria & possibly Saudi Arabia & Guam. These four teams aren't easy opponents for Indonesia.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information