Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 FIBA asia cup

Quote Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
    Filipinos are good at baseball as well. The country won gold medal in the 50s.

We also had multiple Fil-Ams make it to the MLB.

I would say had there been a development system in the Philippines, a good quarter of PBA players would have made it to the MLB. Then a quarter of them would have been starters or star players.
    Baseball used to be popular until the age-cheating scandal. Sayang. Not a fan baseball but this is a sport where Filipinos used to have a solid foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    Baseball used to be popular until the age-cheating scandal. Sayang. Not a fan baseball but this is a sport where Filipinos used to have a solid foundation
    Disagree as it is very expensive sport for Filipinos to really focus on we don't have the space to really excel in this and our grassroots is non existent

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I'm affraid our pa Epal sports officials from POC & PSA won't allow that. I think even SBP won't like that idea.
    And its the wise move. With Indonesia really going all out and Thai might look to rebound from fiba asia, they might go all out too to reboot the program.

Going with our core players(Ange, Balti, Dwight, Will and RJ with other players should be enough)

Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    And its the wise move. With Indonesia really going all out and Thai might look to rebound from fiba asia, they might go all out too to reboot the program.

Going with our core players(Ange, Balti, Dwight, Will and RJ with other players should be enough)
    Why retool? Still they can qualify thru qualifiees and I dont expect them to qualify this august but they will show progress
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    Disagree as it is very expensive sport for Filipinos to really focus on we don't have the space to really excel in this and our grassroots is non existent
    I said it is a sport where we USED to excel and was popular.

Lebanon will be without Arakji & Ali Haidar, as both got surgery. Both injured for long.

Also, Lebanon collapsed financially/economically. The league is played without foreigners, and many Lebanese players also retired from playing early in age ...as the pay from basketball is not sufficient anymore to live. They are doing other jobs.

2 years ago one dollar was worth 1,500 Lebanese lira, now one dollar is worth 18,000.It keeps going up and up.

You can find many articles covering the collapse, soon enough Lebanon won't be top 10 asian basketball Nation anymore. The financial gap, spending on basketball more than other nations luxury isn't there anymore.
    And the game is turning into a hobby, rather than a real time job for players.

https://www.dw.com/en/as-lebanon-nea...ons/a-58136505
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...th-2021-06-28/

The television hosting rights for Lebanese basketball used to be one million dollar.
    This season, it was only 70,000 USD.

Just saying if 2023 is the goal, in my view it will benefit more if the following players are included in the Asia Cup over gilas special draftees and current Ateneo college players

RJ
    Lopez
    Tamayo

The only special draft players and current Ateneo college players included should be limited to legit reasonable 2023 prospects

Heading , Navarro, Go , Matt

Koiame , Dwight

May have missed names

I feel sorry for Lebanese basketball. They have promising young players pa naman which got good exposure in the Asia Cup qualifiers. I see Lebanon as having among the best developmental players in Asian basketball right now.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Default Looking for a go to guy by 2023

I sorry wring thread , they're looking for a go to guy
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 07-04-2021 at 05:23 AM.

Hey Indonesia kust imposed a hard lockdown. Hmmm.

indonesia's new cases have surged to almost 30k a day.

what is d possibility of the asia cup being rescheduled in later months?

or what about a new host?

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post

hope we get to host the event (fingers crossed), though I doubt Clark alone would suffice as the venue
    Ducks fly together!

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post

well the tournament is still august. quite far. they have already reinstanted strict lockdowns. the cases should come down within two weeks time. if by august the cases are still high, then highly likely it will be cancelled.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

If the cases go up in Indo and their govt imposes lockdowns, and if the cases remains stable in the PH we could offer to host the Asia Cup

If the cases go up in Indo and their govt imposes lockdowns, and if the cases remains stable in the PH we could offer to host the Asia Cup
    that's the most logical idea. but not sure if we are able to mount an event with such a short notice also if we are gonna gather enough sponsors to host the event.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

yeah, but what's the trade-off? i'm thinking clarkson as a local for 2023

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    that's the most logical idea. but not sure if we are able to mount an event with such a short notice also if we are gonna gather enough sponsors to host the event.
    That's why I think FIBA should be looking for a back up area by now. Because if they don't and Indonesia imposes a lockdown, the Asia Cup will have to be postponed (think of what happened in thr 3rd Window that was supposed to be in Doha)

Quote Originally Posted by barok espinoza View Post
    yeah, but what's the trade-off? i'm thinking clarkson as a local for 2023
    The economic gains from hosting the AC is good enough. It will inject some money to the economy

I think it will continue as planned.. Japan is also thru hard restriction and they will continue the hosting of Olympics.. If they concern about the health concern, They should postponed this Olympics.. They are not yet panicking.. Their government knows what they were doing.. They badly need this hosting because of harder competition and economic boost... This covid thing (as for me) is overrated.. They can do a bubble to bubble set up as original plan...

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast