Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

If people are going to act like idiots with the thread title, might as well have a new one.

Really disappointed with what is happening right now. Kai should have gone straight to the Ignite bubble and go through all the tests. If he gets benched then he has to accept that. While it looks like Brian Shaw is not a good coach and his teammates are ballhogs, Kai being missing in action and not having communication, allegedly creates a bad impression among scouts. He has not yet earned the respect from teams and scouts to do what he is doing. He is still a non-entity in the larger NBA scheme of things.
    sigpic

One thing I think is concerning is it does not seem Kai has complete control of what he can or can’t do. This is all speculation but if true that’s not good for him.

Comment

If Kai went straight to Orlando last week to quarantine, today is the day he will be allowed to join the team. And maybe we can see him play in the GLeague. But where the hell is he? His handlers is jeopardizing his NBA chances.

Comment

Will the impression of many here will changed if FIBA qualifiers push thru and somehow Kai Sotto played great on those 3 games? EWP is gambling on 3 solid kai sotto games, then shut him down until pre draft workouts or does his opting out g league bubble allowing him not compulsory applied for this years draft?
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by robert0326
          Maybe this is my guess here.. No G-League appearance means he's not qualified yet officially to this year's NBA draft.. If that is the case then that's OK.. For me eh he's not primed yet for this year's draft.. Others here are wanting to put Kai in this year's draft even thou Kai is not ready yet..
          Diba, kaya we need to open up this issues so that we can get the ewp side of things...

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
            Will the impression of many here will changed if FIBA qualifiers push thru and somehow Kai Sotto played great on those 3 games? EWP is gambling on 3 solid kai sotto games, then shut him down until pre draft workouts or does his opting out g league bubble allowing him not compulsory applied for this years draft?
            Not really, for me the gleague was still the better option. It’s not like his stock before when he played with TSf and dominated or when he played u19 changed, he still hasn’t made any of the mainstream mock drafts. Not to mention all the scouts will be paying attention to the gleague.

My guess is maybe they are trying to get signed instead? I mean he already had an agent and he is earning from the gleaguethat was made public so I doubt he can be considered an amateur anymore. He’s automatically qualified for the draft. I’m a little iffy on the details but I believe for college players they can withdraw from the draft if they don’t have an agent so they can still be qualified as an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
              Not really, for me the gleague was still the better option. It’s not like his stock before when he played with TSf and dominated or when he played u19 changed, he still hasn’t made any of the mainstream mock drafts. Not to mention all the scouts will be paying attention to the gleague.

My guess is maybe they are trying to get signed instead? I mean he already had an agent and he is earning from the gleaguethat was made public so I doubt he can be considered an amateur anymore. He’s automatically qualified for the draft. I’m a little iffy on the details but I believe for college players they can withdraw from the draft if they don’t have an agent so they can still be qualified as an amateur.
              Who will bite? Dallas, GSW or Toronto trying to be signed by nba team thru private workouts?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                One thing I think is concerning is it does not seem Kai has complete control of what he can or can’t do. This is all speculation but if true that’s not good for him.
                I think this is the reality of any other out of high school kid trying to get to the nba, from AAU, high school coaches, boosters, parents etc. The key here is now the adults making the right decision in the long term interest of Kai.

Comment

You didn't get the point here.. Even he's in G-League eh it doesn't mean he's already eligible.. Remember most of International prospects are already PROS before enter the NBA draft.. Example here is Yao Ming.. He's already eligible as early as 2000 in the NBA draft.. But he decided to skip until 2002 because he feels that he's not ready yet.. Thus, He continue playing in CBA.. He's already professional since at age of 18 (or 19).. So anung pinagkaiba dun sa kaso ni Yao at Kai? porket nag G-League pathway na it means he should join already? It's still players choice if he wants to join or not, as long as he's ready physically and mentally.. Yi Jian Lian also played professional before enter in the NBA.. and also he skip 1 year before joining NBA.. So what is the difference? Since G-League and other PRO leagues abroad are already called professional already..
                  I think the difference is kai’s part of a special program affiliated with the gleague which is a part of the nba. Not sure if that makes him automatically eligible.

The 2018 NBA Draft is around the corner – taking place at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn on 21 June. The Draft Lottery and the Draft Combine have now

1) Automatically eligible:

To be automatically eligible, the NBA requires an athlete to meet one of the following criteria:

They have completed four years of their college eligibility; or
                  If they have graduated from high school in the USA, but did not enrol to a college, four years have passed since graduation; or
                  They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team not in the NBA and have played under the contract.
                  For an international player to be considered automatically eligible:

They are at least 22 during the calendar year of the draft; or
                  They have signed a contract with a professional team outside the NBA but within the USA, and have played under the contract.
                  (2) Early entry player:

In the USA, it is very common for athletes to play at college level for one year and then (upon turning 19 and being one year removed from high school) enter the NBA Draft. This is known as the ‘one and done’. Many prospects choose this route before becoming a professional player in the NBA as they are not automatically eligible. These athletes must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the Draft and it must be accepted by the NBA.

(3) International players:

For a player to fall under this category, they must meet all of the following criteria:

Permanently reside outside of the USA for at least three years before the draft;
                  Have never enrolled in a US college or university; and
                  Did not compete in high school in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
                    I think one variable we have to keep in mind is that Kai relocated to the US and that move wasn’t financed out of his family’s own money.
                    and that perhaps is the biggest variable, the Sotto family defers to EWP for important decisions since the agency invested in Kai and is reliant on this revenue stream, this is actually the dilemma of poor american kids who at a early age are targeted by AAU coaches, and those who make it to the NBA actually gives a share of their salary to that coach/agent

ill try to look for that NBA Open Court episode where Charles Barkley discussed this in detail in relation to NBA players going broke since they had too many people in their inner circle

edit: found the episode

skip to the 12 min mark , the topic is money and hoops

reggie miller said it best, "CEO of your company"
                    Last edited by CoJ; 02-22-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

You didn't get the point here.. Even he's in G-League eh it doesn't mean he's already eligible.. Remember most of International prospects are already PROS before enter the NBA draft.. Example here is Yao Ming.. He's already eligible as early as 2000 in the NBA draft.. But he decided to skip until 2002 because he feels that he's not ready yet.. Thus, He continue playing in CBA.. He's already professional since at age of 18 (or 19).. So anung pinagkaiba dun sa kaso ni Yao at Kai? porket nag G-League pathway na it means he should join already? It's still players choice if he wants to join or not, as long as he's ready physically and mentally.. Yi Jian Lian also played professional before enter in the NBA.. and also he skip 1 year before joining NBA.. So what is the difference? Since G-League and other PRO leagues abroad are already called professional already..
                      CBA collective bargaining agreement is clear
                      US based pros (Ignite) have different eligiblility rules than international based pros. The former has 19 yrs on old while latter is 22 Yrs old with no distinction if played in pro or amateur /school

Kai is automatically entered into this draft by signing a contract with a US based Pro team

Comment

Finally, we go back to Kai.

Hope this will be more less toxic than the previous one.

No need for personal atttacks on both sides.

Anyway, Where is Kai???? Well who knows. Sayson and Badua sources is not named.

Ewp, ervin, and Kai should have a plan already.

But what it is, is the question.

Based on this, I only think 2 possible things.

1. They may have already teams interested in Kai, who promised that they will draft him (based on marketability, potential, or whatever)

2. They will totally skip this 2021 nba draft. And increase his stock for 2022 Nba Draft against the likes of Chet

Comment

But Kai still not play in G-League.. Difference between sign and play an official game.. Kai's team can buy out his contract to finish this issue.. And Kai still 18 and not 19 years old.. If the rule is 19 then he's not yet qualify to join yet.. He can declare to skip NBA draft until he reach 19.. NBA can't force a player if he's ready or not...
                          That (played) is the only possible alternative for withdrawal. ( will be interesting to see how it is interpreted or applied) , on age., it's the draft year you turn 19 , in kai's case that is this year 2021 ( turns 19 ) .

To be clear about the terms being used here "declare or enter". Declare or enter is only used in the context of the draft if one decided to enter early , example leave US college early. Or for international based prospects (note classification of International or US prospects is not based on Nationality but residence and team location, in Kai it is US ) enter before 22 yrs old.

No one is forced to enter the draft there is no need to., but the CBA clearly states which players are available to select from for the NBA teams., Kai is available to be selected in the 2021 draft , whether he is ready or not. Do not confuse drafting a players rights with having him signed to play for a team. The former is the right of NBA teams to do without the consent of the player. the latter of course is not you cannot sign a player if he does not want to. (many international players like Manu were surprise to be drafted and just understood it was possible given they were eligible even if they had no intension of entering the NBA yet)

In does not really matter if EWP wants to enter Kai into the NBA 2022 or later, from the perspective of NBA teams after the 2021 draft Kai is a FA. therefor teams do not need to use a draft pick on him to select and sign him.

Given the current standoff and issue with the NBA and EWP it decreases the chances the NBA will consider an exception for Kai, ( and simply stick to common understanding that sign means essentially early declaration. ) Besides why would the NBA spend $ 250k signed contract only to give an exception and let the prospect follow another path. there is no incentive for NBA to do that, to lose Kai to playing overseas or wherever
                          Last edited by DAdmiral; 02-22-2021, 08:22 PM.

Comment

But yes, Sir Admiral is correct about eligibility of Kai.. But Kai, even he's signed at Ignite, can still withdraw.. NBA will not force you to join right away.. They are not like PBA that you have only 2 years to skip then totally ban.. Kai is only eligible starting this year.. But join the draft is other matter...

The NBA might force him to join, since he is an American "pro" already. Depends really on interpretation of the rules and if the NBA is willing to be lax right now because of the pandemic.

Comment

Your stated is which he's already eligible to join, That is true.. But NBA rules says also that he still needs to apply for NBA draft.. Kai can still withdraw whatever he wants.. Don't confuse anybody.. Any professional basketball players, especially international players are all eligible to join.. Even our players likes of Ricci, Malonzo, or even Andre Paras is also eligible in NBA draft if they want.. declare to join and eligible to join is different.. Even Kai is signed at Ignite eh it doesn't mean he's also required to join compulsory this year's NBA draft.. It's still your choice if you're ready or not..
                              You're actually incorrect - automatically eligible players DO NOT NEED to apply, only those who declare early need to declare and enter (US college underclassmen who leave college or international based players before they turn 22 yrs old)

People are confusing the process of the PBA draft with the NBA, in the PBA as in most global leagues you do officially have to enter an application regardless. in the NBA this is NOT the case. Entry applications only apply to those who want to enter early before they are automatically eligible (Kai is automatically eligible in the 2021 draft so does not apply to him)
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information