Page 26 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 1484

Thread: Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

  1. #501
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,835

    Default

    The bigger stock riser is him being in Gilas cadet program imo..they can still wait and see on what will happen to the big men asian imports in div 2 and see if the opportunity to develop is too good to pass up. But him having in arellano and Gilas can be best of both worlds
    Last edited by reamily; 09-16-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  2. #502
    Senior Member digitalsuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    12,365
    Country: Indonesia

    Default

    Justin Arana and Tamayo's game are really alike.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

  3. #503
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Justin Baltazar to Bleague��

  4. #504
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    ^^ Another player heading to Japan. and it's not Justin Arana daw. yeah so most probably its the better Justine

  5. #505
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,390
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    When is like the deadline cutoff of players to make roster spots in the B-league ? , of course imports can come and go,, but wouldn't there be a deadline when rosters have to be finalized and complete

  6. #506
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    ^^ It's open season AFAIK. COVID times call for extra ordinary measures.

  7. #507
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    It's Justin Baltazar contract was signed a few months ago, deadline of signing was middle July

  8. #508
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,279
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Well, if you look at it, Gilas prospects/players playing in Japan would be available for Gilas during "FIBA season" - July to September period. That is becoz off season ng B-league ang period na yun. Gilas players playing in the B-league might even be available for Gilas in most of the windows of the 2023 FIBA World Cup qualifiers.

    The same could not be said about PBA players becoz during the July to September period, PBA season is very much alive.

    My take is that Pinoy players playing in overseas pro leagues hurts the PBA more than it hurts Gilas.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  9. #509
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,943
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    This is one thing I really don't with Tab - having players committed to Gilas for the whole year sounds unrealistic. Unless his players come from Ateneo, you cannot expect the players to be beside on you and receive nothing. Ofcourse, they need to live as well.

    Even in his Tall Blacks days, his players were all pros naman. Why see overseas pro stints for the Gilas core as a negative?
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  10. #510
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,390
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    ^
    Tab as the program director will always target and ask the best scenario and set-up ( as much availability as possible if not full time), but at the end he will work with what he's got, it's the same for his team with the Tall Blacks or even the 2015 FIBA Asia team. and it will be the same for next year's 2022 Asia cup and 2023 World cup. despite maybe Dwight and company not be available in some windows, he will still go with Dwight and others in 2022 asia cup and 2023 world cup.

  11. #511
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,943
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    ^
    Tab as the program director will always target and ask the best scenario and set-up ( as much availability as possible if not full time), but at the end he will work with what he's got, it's the same for his team with the Tall Blacks or even the 2015 FIBA Asia team. and it will be the same for next year's 2022 Asia cup and 2023 World cup. despite maybe Dwight and company not be available in some windows, he will still go with Dwight and others in 2022 asia cup and 2023 world cup.
    What I am worried about is that his statements might be used by the PBA to justify their ridiculous draft dodger rule (5 year ban).

    PBA might say this, "o ayan ah. Pati Gilas apektado sa pag-alis ng mga players papuntang ibang bansa."
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  12. #512
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,390
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Rest assured all pool members will be available from
    June to Ausgust 2022
    and June to August 2023

    Tab will just have to work with that.

  13. #513
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,943
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Rest assured all pool members will be available from
    June to Ausgust 2022
    and June to August 2023

    Tab will just have to work with that.
    Ofcourse, we know that naman sir but he still should be mindful about how opportunistic PBA is. I know that he knows it.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  14. #514
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,390
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Ofcourse, we know that naman sir but he still should be mindful about how opportunistic PBA is. I know that he knows it.
    Maybe he does, and he's playing mind games

  15. #515
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,943
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Maybe he does, and he's playing mind games
    He can get players naman from lower tier PBA teams and make gold out of trash. That's how high I see Tab's coaching is. Hehe
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  16. #516
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,835

    Default

    If thats the case we will get the best talent that can work on the off season period (for japan players who plays 60 games all over Japan travel)
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  17. #517
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    He can get players naman from lower tier PBA teams and make gold out of trash. That's how high I see Tab's coaching is. Hehe
    He should get a high caliber nba players/fiba level players as stars, thats how measly I see a Tab Baldwin team is. Knowing how he is known to underachieve when things are expected him (unless he really lords the competition the way Ateneo did). For example I see a 2015 team a team of Andre Blatche and Jason Castro with the complete Gilas Core (essentials a shooter,scorer, fighter, RDO, Gabe and Ping)not a team composed of low level pba players.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  18. #518
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,279
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    ^
    Tab as the program director will always target and ask the best scenario and set-up ( as much availability as possible if not full time), but at the end he will work with what he's got, it's the same for his team with the Tall Blacks or even the 2015 FIBA Asia team. and it will be the same for next year's 2022 Asia cup and 2023 World cup. despite maybe Dwight and company not be available in some windows, he will still go with Dwight and others in 2022 asia cup and 2023 world cup.
    Here's my take: It was crucial & very beneficial for the Gilas program that the Gilas pool got a considerable amount of time in a bubble training set-up during the first half of this year. Malaking bagay yun specially to the non-Ateneo Gilas pool members like Tamayo, Baltazar, RJ Abarrientos, Suerte, etc., in so far as getting themselves assimilated to coach Tab's system. I think the Gilas bubble training in the 1st half of 2021 is a good start as it laid the foundation of the program. Now, I think coach Tab had somehow (kahit papano) anticipated that a No. of his Gilas players won't be available for training & perhaps overseas or PBA stints in a full time basis starting the 4th quarter of 2021 onwards. I think na anticipate naman ni coach Tab yung possible influx of his Gilas players to the Japanese pro leagues.

    Now, as what I've implied in my previous post a while ago, those Gilas players playing in Japan would be available for Gilas training & international or FIBA competitions during the off season of the B-league which is the July to September period. In this period, our Gilas boys can train & play on a full time basis. Agree with DAdmiral, coach Tab will always target and ask the best scenario possible even if in the end he will fell short with the targeted scenario, he'll just be contend of the limited privilege he is given.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  19. #519
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,943
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I am still wondering why New Zealand NBL removed their Oceania import quota? I mean instead of removing it, why not expand the quota to cover Asian players? This could help to bolster their popularity outside.

    Imagine guys like Carl Tamayo, Justine Baltazar and Cholo Anonuevo playing for the likes of Wellington Saints, Otago Nuggets or Manawatu Jets. Their games could draw alot from the Filipino crowd.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

  20. #520
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    299
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Here's my take: It was crucial & very beneficial for the Gilas program that the Gilas pool got a considerable amount of time in a bubble training set-up during the first half of this year. Malaking bagay yun specially to the non-Ateneo Gilas pool members like Tamayo, Baltazar, RJ Abarrientos, Suerte, etc., in so far as getting themselves assimilated to coach Tab's system. I think the Gilas bubble training in the 1st half of 2021 is a good start as it laid the foundation of the program. Now, I think coach Tab had somehow (kahit papano) anticipated that a No. of his Gilas players won't be available for training & perhaps overseas or PBA stints in a full time basis starting the 4th quarter of 2021 onwards. I think na anticipate naman ni coach Tab yung possible influx of his Gilas players to the Japanese pro leagues.

    Now, as what I've implied in my previous post a while ago, those Gilas players playing in Japan would be available for Gilas training & international or FIBA competitions during the off season of the B-league which is the July to September period. In this period, our Gilas boys can train & play on a full time basis. Agree with DAdmiral, coach Tab will always target and ask the best scenario possible even if in the end he will fell short with the targeted scenario, he'll just be contend of the limited privilege he is given.
    Man, I hope the overseas pro careers of our Gilas core guys would go beyond 2023, up to 2028 at the very least. Making use of those guys is the more welcomed scenario as SBP would already have the shoo-ins for the main FIBA tournaments in 2023, 2025 and 2027, and that they would just build around them (praying that Coach Tab and his staff gets to stay during those years, or there should already be a succession plan that would prioritize continuity of current program).

    Considering the possibility of an extended pandemic period, I also hope that both the PBA and SBP agree to lower the draft age for Gilas cadets to 21. After 3 or 4 years, most of those drafted guys would have been adequately developed for the pro game at ages 24-25, making it a win for PBA teams.

Page 26 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •