Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    It kinda frustrates me how the Adelaide 36ers prevented Kai from playing for Gilas in the 2021 King Abdullah Cup (late July to early August) dahil mag uumpisa na raw ang training camp ng Adelaide 36ers.
    Yep, it is what it is. Like what Tab said in his recent interview, without Kai, the coaching staff was forced to play Balty and Tamayo to 4s more rather than the 3.

I don’t think the 36ers disallowed it because the consensus of the fans in Hoops AU was that there were no training schedule set for all of the teams, so Kai was free to play for the team. Hell, even their coach at that time, Conner Henry, was not even in Australia.

Conner only came 2-3 weeks ago and when he arrived, the dude was fired. Most likely, EWP were the ones who disallowed him, but of course, I understand their decision. Maybe if the Asia Cup did not have so much uncertainty, Kai would have been able to continue playing for the team.

Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
    The 36ers did not disallow Kai from joining the Kings cup this 8s incorrect. (This is actually in violation with theNBL rule with FIBA)

Derecho ko na lang , it's his handlers who dictate his availability. And of course for a fee.
    As simple as that.
    Essentially a deal for his services for kings cup was not agreed to
    Oh thanks for clarifying, I guess it was really EWP. I don't understand why some kind of deal has to be made. NBA players would love to represent their country without any sort of deal and I am sure Kai wants to as well. EWP should be less involved in Kai's Gilas stints other than possible endorsements or commercials or whatever.

Is this common around the world, Dadmiral? For a player to have to work out a deal to play for the NT? I know it is common for naturalized players like Andray, but I am quite surprised that Kai also has to be involved in a similar fashion. How is it for the players for the NZ team?

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
      The 36ers did not disallow Kai from joining the Kings cup this 8s incorrect. (This is actually in violation with theNBL rule with FIBA)

Derecho ko na lang , it's his handlers who dictate his availability. And of course for a fee.
      As simple as that.
      Essentially a deal for his services for kings cup was not agreed to
      Ah ok. Thanks for the correction bro.

I just really couldn't understand Kai's handlers. I think they are just ruining Kai's basketball career.

Come to think of it, in the last 2 years or so, all Kai did in the US was skills training & pick-up basketball. Not enough actual tournament games. Mabuti na lang that he played for Gilas in the 3rd window Asia Cup qualifier & the 2021 OQT. Yun lang ang naging actual tournament games ni Kai in the last 2 yrs or so. It would have been better for him & Gilas as well kung naka paglaro sya sa King Abdullah Cup. It was a missed opportunity. Sayang
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevy View Post
        Yep, it is what it is. Like what Tab said in his recent interview, without Kai, the coaching staff was forced to play Balty and Tamayo to 4s more rather than the 3.

I don’t think the 36ers disallowed it because the consensus of the fans in Hoops AU was that there were no training schedule set for all of the teams, so Kai was free to play for the team. Hell, even their coach at that time, Conner Henry, was not even in Australia.

Conner only came 2-3 weeks ago and when he arrived, the dude was fired. Most likely, EWP were the ones who disallowed him, but of course, I understand their decision. Maybe if the Asia Cup did not have so much uncertainty, Kai would have been able to continue playing for the team.

Oh thanks for clarifying, I guess it was really EWP. I don't understand why some kind of deal has to be made. NBA players would love to represent their country without any sort of deal and I am sure Kai wants to as well. EWP should be less involved in Kai's Gilas stints other than possible endorsements or commercials or whatever.

Is this common around the world, Dadmiral? For a player to have to work out a deal to play for the NT? I know it is common for naturalized players like Andray, but I am quite surprised that Kai also has to be involved in a similar fashion. How is it for the players for the NZ team?
        This is what I described as the ugly side of basketball being too comercialized. Puro na lang pera ang usapan. It really sickens the thought that these sports agencies, agents, handlers are making so much money out of the skills & hard work of players. Parang mga linta itong mga agents na ito eh. Then these leeches will get to decide whether this player gets to play for a particular tournament or not. This really sucks, to say the least. Money & greed are eroding the integrity of the sport.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

EWP,has invested alot of money to the Sottos,if anything happened to Kai,they would be in the red,imagine now that they have to take the whole family and neither one of the parents can't or want to work in the US,so pretty much Kai owes alot of money and they pretty much got the Kai and family in a financial bind,I have a feeling that contract Kai signed will be more financially beneficial to his handlers than Kai himself,at least until the contract runs out and he signed a new one with a sports lawyer this time.

Comment

• As to question if this practice is common globally?
            I think Kai is really in a unique situation, cause it's really rare for an overly commercial basketball industry like the Philippines to literally have a legit young NBA prospect.
            We all know that in the Philippines a player as young as high school age , already has agents and parents already are given incentives like a Job and so on, this is common knowledge.
            Thr thing with Kai is his overseas trips and trainings cost money and with the Philippine set up this has to come from commercial boosters , not individual parents like in many Western countries with their prospects.
            The problem with this set up when an investor funds Kai's development, there has to be a return of investment. So essentially the "handlers " sell Kai for his services, whether that be as a player or his popularity (likeness).
            It is what it is. And yes national team use of the player is also included that requires a pay fee arrangement.

Comment

• Wow Parks, I hope he joins Gilas

This is really the main best players per position for Gilas in my view

PG Kiefer
              SG Parks
              SF Dwight
              PF Baltazar
              C Kouame

Of course Kai is in list to

Comment

As to question if this practice is common globally?
                I think Kai is really in a unique situation, cause it's really rare for an overly commercial basketball industry like the Philippines to literally have a legit young NBA prospect.
                We all know that in the Philippines a player as young as high school age , already has agents and parents already are given incentives like a Job and so on, this is common knowledge.
                Thr thing with Kai is his overseas trips and trainings cost money and with the Philippine set up this has to come from commercial boosters , not individual parents like in many Western countries with their prospects.
                The problem with this set up when an investor funds Kai's development, there has to be a return of investment. So essentially the "handlers " sell Kai for his services, whether that be as a player or his popularity (likeness).
                It is what it is. And yes national team use of the player is also included that requires a pay fee arrangement.
                Yeah, its the last part that really sucks becoz the sponsor will always demand a return of its investment.

I can't help but cherrish the basketball in the 80's & early to mid-90's when playing basketball was much less complicated & much simplier. When the late Drazen Petrovic wanted to play for Yugoslavia or Crotia, nothing could stop him from doing so (not even a civil war). When Arvidas Sabonis wanted to play for USSR during the 80's, there wasn't any obstacle.

Things have become very different now. Take the case of Serbia in the recent OQT, Jokic & Bogdan Bogdanovic didn't play for Serbia, hence Serbia which is a traditional basketball world superpower failed to make it to the Olympics. I wonder why Jokic & Bogdanovic were not able to play?

Comment

Got it! Thanks! I guess the commercials, merchandise, NBL contract and sponsorships were not enough that they had to ask for a fee for Kai to play for Gilas. However, this is pure speculation on my part, and we will never know the full extent of what occurred.

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                  Take the case of Serbia in the recent OQT, Jokic & Bogdan Bogdanovic didn't play for Serbia, hence Serbia which is a traditional basketball world superpower failed to make it to the Olympics. I wonder why Jokic & Bogdanovic were not able to play?
                  From the back of my mind, Jokic wanted to rest from the fatigue of NBA seasons and NT commitments while Bogdanovic was in the middle of the playoffs (Atlanta-Bucks ECF) during the OQT, so he could not join. The only person who did not commit was Jokic. Bogdan was ready to fly to Serbia if the playoffs ended a bit earlier for him.

Comment

Wow Parks, I hope he joins Gilas

This is really the main best players per position for Gilas in my view

PG Kiefer
                    SG Parks
                    SF Dwight
                    PF Baltazar
                    C Kouame

Of course Kai is in list to
                    3 out of 5 are B.League imports. Baltazar is a potential Asian import. Kouame is a good prospect in Europe or World import in Japan or Korea.

We only need 2-3 players in the PBA. That's it.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                      Baltazar is a potential Asian import.
                      I'm hoping to see Balty sign with the B league or the KBL, but who knows? Maybe as a DP in the NBL. Not sure if he would thrive in that NBL situation though.

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                      Kouame is a good prospect in Europe or World import in Japan or Korea.
                      If Mbala could grind himself up to be a LNB Pro player, then I don't see why Koaume could not in the foreseeable future.

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                      We only need 2-3 players in the PBA. That's it.
                      Which PBA players would you like to be invited? I am thinking of Bolick, especially since he is with SMC, as a possible PBA reinforcement. Also, there is a good chance that Perez could sign with a B League team if his contract expires, especially since he is being handled by the same management group as Dwight (Titan).

Comment

I'm hoping to see Balty sign with the B league or the KBL, but who knows? Maybe as a DP in the NBL. Not sure if he would thrive in that NBL situation though.
                        We hope that Delta allows Balty to try his luck overseas.

Originally posted by Stevy
                        Which PBA players would you like to be invited? I am thinking of Bolick, especially since he is with SMC, as a possible PBA reinforcement. Also, there is a good chance that Perez could sign with a B League team if his contract expires, especially since he is being handled by the same management group as Dwight (Titan).
                        I believe that we need players in the guard spot.

I have Bolick, Perez and Black as my handpicks.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                          We hope that Delta allows Balty to try his
                          Well, if a B-league team offer is significantly better than what Balty can get from a PBA team, then I don't see any reason why Delta would not allow Balty to play in Japan. If Balty can get at least 1 million pesos per month offer from a B-league team, then saan ka pa?

Comment

• Taiwan's T1 League is also looking for Pinoy Hoopers.

There are three type of players in this league:

- Locals (Taiwanese players)
                            - Foreign Players (World imports)
                            - Third Type (Chinese, Naturalized, Asian players)

Rules:

- Teams can name up to 12 locals, 3 Foreign Players and 1 Third Type.
                            - Third Types can only play up to two quarters per game.
                            - Only two Foreign Players can play at the same time in a game. Foreign Players can play the entire game.

Who do you think are the Pinoy players that will in this league?

Will Navarro and Jordan Heading, I believe, have offers here but they are already in the PBA.

Ricci Rivero is being lured to play for Kaohsiung Poseidons. I don't know what happened there.

Dwight Ramos was first approached by the Taichung Suns before being signed by Toyama Grousers.

For me, guys like RJ Abarrientos, SJ Belangel and Geo Chiu will fit here.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

• I wonder if how is the paycheck in Taiwanese basketball? Mas malaki kaya swelduhan nila doon kisa sa PBA?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                I wonder if how is the paycheck in Taiwanese basketball? Mas malaki kaya swelduhan nila doon kisa sa PBA?
                                in between locals and world imports.

I believe that Sani Sakakini was signed by Taichung Suns as Asian import as the deal with Dwight Ramos was unsuccessful.

edit: foreign general pala si Sakakini. that means that he is a world import.
                                Last edited by ja.he; 09-12-2021, 03:16 AM.
                                Attack
                                defend
                                Unite

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information