Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2224

Thread: Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/m...arriors/221798

But unlike the eight other Filipino players in the league — namely Thirdy Ravena (San-En), Kiefer Ravena (Shiga), Javi Gomez de Liano (Ibaraki), Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (Nagoya), Kobe Paras (Niigata), Dwight Ramos (Toyama), Juan Gomez de Liano (Tokyo Z) and Kemark Carino (Aomori), Aquino will not be classified as an Asian Quota Player. With his mom being Japanese, the 6-foot-8 stretch big man will be a local.

“Grandmother ko is Japanese then napasa sa mom ko and then sa akin,” he explained.

This would mean that besides Aquino, the Brave Warriors will also have 6-foot-10 American Josh Hawkinson, 6-foot-11 American Wayne Marshall, and 6-foot-7 American Anthony McHenry, along with 6-foot-6 Korean guard Jaemin Yang.

Quote Originally Posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post

But unlike the eight other Filipino players in the league — namely Thirdy Ravena (San-En), Kiefer Ravena (Shiga), Javi Gomez de Liano (Ibaraki), Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (Nagoya), Kobe Paras (Niigata), Dwight Ramos (Toyama), Juan Gomez de Liano (Tokyo Z) and Kemark Carino (Aomori), Aquino will not be classified as an Asian Quota Player. With his mom being Japanese, the 6-foot-8 stretch big man will be a local.

“Grandmother ko is Japanese then napasa sa mom ko and then sa akin,” he explained.

This would mean that besides Aquino, the Brave Warriors will also have 6-foot-10 American Josh Hawkinson, 6-foot-11 American Wayne Marshall, and 6-foot-7 American Anthony McHenry, along with 6-foot-6 Korean guard Jaemin Yang.
    What a tall frontline for Shinshu.
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

Hmmm interesting Ben Mbala maybe was planning to play in B league? @5:00

So is this the big man they were saying would be next to sign up for the B League? Or will there still be a PBA big who will jump over to Japan?

Haven’t seen much of Aquino. I know he’s a stretch big, but does he have the potential to be a combo forward? Admit it or not, most of us were doubting Baltazar playing as a wing. Does he have the mobility, laterally specially, to defend the position? If not, then he’d be lucky to have a similar role to San en’s Ota, the 4th big in the rotation.

Anyways, goodluck to him. I hope he gets some burn and eventually be part of the rotation, not just token minutes
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Does that mean he will be benched, right?

No offense, but hes not an import so meaning to say, hes not favored to play big minutes likr Kiefer, Kobe, Ravena, just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Haven’t seen much of Aquino. I know he’s a stretch big, but does he have the potential to be a combo forward? Admit it or not, most of us were doubting Baltazar playing as a wing. Does he have the mobility, laterally specially, to defend the position? If not, then he’d be lucky to have a similar role to San en’s Ota, the 4th big in the rotation.

Anyways, goodluck to him. I hope he gets some burn and eventually be part of the rotation, not just token minutes
    This is actually surprising because the kid is not even known in the Philippines to be good. I dont know. Maybe ive been living under a rock. I just dont think he will contribute well to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous123 View Post
    Does that mean he will be benched, right?

No offense, but hes not an import so meaning to say, hes not favored to play big minutes likr Kiefer, Kobe, Ravena, just to name a few.
    According to the article Shinshu management is willing to invest on his development thus, the 3 year contract, so yeah expect Matt to sit a lot this year as he is a project for Shinshu

Shinshu, which was promoted to B1 two years ago, is willing to invest in Aquino’s development.

And the only way Aquino will repay the trust given to him is by improving every day.

“Dun kami nagulat dun sa three-year offer,” he said. “Right now, the goal is to improve every day and take it step-by-step. I just want to improve myself and madami pa ako kailangang patunayan, hindi lang sa iba, kung hindi sa sarili ko.

According to the article Shinshu management is willing to invest on his development thus, the 3 year contract, so yeah expect Matt to sit a lot this year as he is a project for Shinshu

Shinshu, which was promoted to B1 two years ago, is willing to invest in Aquino’s development.

And the only way Aquino will repay the trust given to him is by improving every day.

“Dun kami nagulat dun sa three-year offer,” he said. “Right now, the goal is to improve every day and take it step-by-step. I just want to improve myself and madami pa ako kailangang patunayan, hindi lang sa iba, kung hindi sa sarili ko.
    I think the long term deal was the clincher for Mtt choosing this team over chiba
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post

If you saw Baltazar in HS, you know he can be a SF with mobility and shooting. Just like Dwight that was force to play 4 because they don't have tall players.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous123 View Post
    This is actually surprising because the kid is not even known in the Philippines to be good. I dont know. Maybe ive been living under a rock. I just dont think he will contribute well to the team.
    I think what the young Aquino lacks is motivation. Motivation to improve. Parang walang nagtutulak sa kanya to further better his skills. His father was the same way. It took a Jawo to really push Marlou to his full potential. And by the time he joined Dennis Espino over at Sta. Lucia he was in his peak. Kaso hanggang doon na lang talaga. biglang nag dip yung performance mid 2000s

I forgot the details but I think it's up to 4 generations of Japanese blood that Japan is willing to accept foreign-born hafus as locals? Congratulations to Matt Aquino but I agree in that he's not well known here.

That’s great news. That’s like hitting two birds with one stone for Matt—he gets high level (as compared to what he would have gotten playing in a league like Filbasket) training and he’s the one that gets paid in the process. I hope he is a hardworker. He can really be a better athlete coming out of this Japan training.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

I hope Shinshu really invests in his development. We might have a potential big in our hands if he develops and improves.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
    I forgot the details but I think it's up to 4 generations of Japanese blood that Japan is willing to accept foreign-born hafus as locals? Congratulations to Matt Aquino but I agree in that he's not well known here.
    They can afford that because there are plenty of teams from B1 to B3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    Caelan Tiongson to Taoyuan Leopards in Taiwan T1 League.

http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...KeBcaN0gPtx9Yz

So far, there are already 4 players occupying Asian import quota:

- Sani Sakakini
    - Jason Brickman
    - Chanatip Jakrawan
    - Caelan Tiongson
    Mejo mejo sikat ito si Caelan sa States. kasi ex nya yung isang contestant sa The Knot.

Then he dated yung Nebraska volleyball player na naging member ng USA Volleyball U-21 NT , si Lexi Sun

https://www.instagram.com/lexiisun/?hl=en

Dati nakapost si Tiongson dyan, now binura na

Quote Originally Posted by mapuakid View Post
    Blame it to ban-chot??? Lol
    Brp could’ve been part of the fiba asia cup 2017
    But coaching staff lined him up for the sea games.
    Lucky for cbc coz chot liked him too much lol.
    What i know is they not allow non-PBA players to join main team.. It was exclusively for PBA players that time (what a dumb move by PBA).. Even Kiefer is not on the list in 2017 line up.. Cstand was in the line up because he was naturalized player and MVP wanted him to get to their teams in the PBA before backdoor move by Al Chua and SMC...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    I am wondering right now about the depth of the 2022 PBA Draft with all the signings to B.League, T1 League, NBL Australia, NBL New Zealand and Overtime Elite.

Definitely, the talent pool for the next year's draft is thinning right now. Next year, KBL will open their league to Pinoy ballers so expect more Filipinos to skip PBA for the time being to try their luck overseas.
    Gray, Rosser, Baltazar (If BWE will be the 1st pick), Ricci, Arana, Ambohot, Bates, etc... Still not bad, maybe better than 2019 class...

He has a Japanese passport since his childhood days, so it means Matt Aquino can play as local in Japan national team w/o restrictions...

hoping matt aquino makes significant improvement in japan. currently he's around the level of tzaddy rangel

Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast