Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2233

Thread: Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,242
    Country: Philippines

    Default Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

    Juan, Thirdy, Kiefer, Kai, Tungcab. These are some players who have been offered/are playing in foreign leagues. With the recent development that the Korean Basketball League is increasing their Asian Import quota, I expect a lot more Filipinos to take the wares elsewhere. This bodes well for our NT. I also hope that the exodus of our young prospects spurs change within the PBA.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,230
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Let's list the significant gilas prospects that are playing/or sure that will play overseas/foreign leagues

    Nba - Jordan Clarkson
    NBL Australia - Kai Sotto
    NBL New Zealand - Ken Tuffin
    US NCAA - AJ Edu, Dalph Panopio
    Japan B league - Thirdy Ravena, Juan Gomez Deliaño

    Potential Players that will play overseas

    US NCAA: Caleum Harris, Jayden Harper(hope his passport done), Luke Tobias, Lowell Briones, maybe Kobe
    Japan B league: Balti(maybe), Tamayo(maybe)

    Players that formerly played overseas

    US NCAA: Dwight Ramos, Jordan Heading

    Please add if I forgot some players. Medyo rumarami na. Atleast we are being one of the best asian teams in exporting our players overseas.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,509
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    You forgot Cholo Añonuevo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member judasmartel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,516
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Jayden Harper
    Is he related to Bulls legend Ron Harper?
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

  5. #5
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    Is he related to Bulls legend Ron Harper?
    erpats
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    646
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    wasn't that ron harper jr? or are they brothers?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    I prefer the title of this thread as

    Overseas Filipino Ballers

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,230
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    erpats
    No Guys.

    Jayden Harper is not related with Ron Harper.

    Dylan Harper (Another Filam) and ron harper jr are the ones who is related with their father Ron Harper.

  9. #9
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    No Guys.

    Jayden Harper is not related with Ron Harper.

    Dylan Harper (Another Filam) and ron harper jr are the ones who is related with their father Ron Harper.
    Ah kala ko yun utol ni ron harper junior si jayden
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  10. #10
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    https://www.bleague.jp/news_detail/id=159872
    Tama ba understanding ko, they will allow someone to be tagged as asian import given that he is tagged as local in fiba competitions.. ( ie Jgdl and Ray Parks)
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    1,002
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    ^^ Basically the "eligibles"

    However, even if you have both nationalities that fall under the target country of the preceding paragraph and nationalities that do not fall under the preceding paragraph, if you have a track record of being registered by FIBA ​​as a representative player (regardless of category) of the target country of the preceding paragraph, you will be an Asian special quota player.
    Good news for Ramos. He can choose to not go to the PBA for a career

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,210
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    At this rate, we're going to be the Switzerland of basketball. This means that the local pro league may end up being "low level", because the best talent are being poached by other leagues.

    ...given the current state of the PBA, I don't really mind.

  13. #13
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    Before JBA kbl got this asian import thing w efollowed suit with CBA on hiring asian imports, so far the ones who played are Seiya Ando a current mainstay of Japan NT, legends Michael madanly and Sam Dghlas, nt mainstay Jamshidi, Iman Zandi, P league mvp Jet Chang, Lee Gwan Hee, Palestinina nt mainstays Omar Krayem, Imad Qahwash, Lebanon nt backup pg. Rodrigue Akl, Jordan NT mainstay Mahmoud Abdeen, Mongolian nt mainstay Sanchir tungalag, even Kim Jiwan (top ten highest paid player in kbl). Not bad considering all of them 6'3 below what if they are not having height limit
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  14. #14
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    At this rate, we're going to be the Switzerland of basketball. This means that the local pro league may end up being "low level", because the best talent are being poached by other leagues.

    ...given the current state of the PBA, I don't really mind.
    where is swizerland in fiba europe..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    1,002
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    At this rate, we're going to be the Switzerland of basketball. This means that the local pro league may end up being "low level", because the best talent are being poached by other leagues.

    ...given the current state of the PBA, I don't really mind.
    The PBA has no one to blame but themselves. Hugot system national team, employment disrimination, lack of flexibility, farm teams making most of the # of teams...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    https://www.bleague.jp/news_detail/id=159872
    Tama ba understanding ko, they will allow someone to be tagged as asian import given that he is tagged as local in fiba competitions.. ( ie Jgdl and Ray Parks)

    (2) Handling of multiple nationalities: Only when all nationalities fall under the target countries of the preceding paragraph. However, even if you have both nationalities that fall under the target country of the preceding paragraph and nationalities that do not fall under the preceding paragraph, if you have a track record of being registered by FIBA ​​as a representative player (regardless of category) of the target country of the preceding paragraph, you will be an Asian special quota player. Accept registration as. This does not apply if the FIBA ​​registration category is a naturalized player quota. * Revised the deficit part


    Looks like it. AS long as the preceding paragraph it was referring says " the player was categorized as a local in FIBA competitions". So its looks like the likes of:

    RayRay Parks
    Kobe Paras
    The GDLS
    Dwight Ramos
    Dalph Panopio
    AJ Edu


    Are all eligible to play in the B League

  17. #17
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    (2) Handling of multiple nationalities: Only when all nationalities fall under the target countries of the preceding paragraph. However, even if you have both nationalities that fall under the target country of the preceding paragraph and nationalities that do not fall under the preceding paragraph, if you have a track record of being registered by FIBA ​​as a representative player (regardless of category) of the target country of the preceding paragraph, you will be an Asian special quota player. Accept registration as. This does not apply if the FIBA ​​registration category is a naturalized player quota. * Revised the deficit part


    Looks like it. AS long as the preceding paragraph it was referring says " the player was categorized as a local in FIBA competitions". So its looks like the likes of:

    RayRay Parks
    Kobe Paras
    The GDLS
    Dwight Ramos
    Dalph Panopio
    AJ Edu


    Are all eligible to play in the B League
    The question is, how this will be applied to the proposed East Asia Super League? Will they allow asian imports to this elite asian teams the alvarks, chiba jets, the Guandong Southern Tigers(Shaqs favorite cba team), the Liaoning flying leopards, the Ginebras and SMB's.. wag naman sana switzerland ang comparison, Serbia, the consensus top 2 basketball country in the world (sorry spain if you cant beat us, your just as good as a caretaker team) elite players plays in either euro league and nba, their local domestic league serves as developmental league before they seek greener pasture to euroleague teams or the nba..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,230
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    At this rate, we're going to be the Switzerland of basketball. This means that the local pro league may end up being "low level", because the best talent are being poached by other leagues.

    ...given the current state of the PBA, I don't really mind.
    Yeah. Our Best Local Players to Overseas. Make that Happen.

    Us Ncaa, NBL NZ, NBL Australia, Japan B League, maybe Korean League someday, Maybe Europe League someday. These are a lot of leagues.

    As for pba, they can save the talent of their players if they put no limit and make process easy to the ineligible Filipino players in tge world.

    The Sage Tolentino (if he failed), The hepa, The David, The QMB of the worlds. Even the Brandon Rosser, Taylor Stratham of the world.

    Look, papayagan din magalaro yang mga yan sa pba, if our best eligible local players dont go to pba anymore

  19. #19
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Yeah. Our Best Local Players to Overseas. Make that Happen.

    Us Ncaa, NBL NZ, NBL Australia, Japan B League, maybe Korean League someday, Maybe Europe League someday. These are a lot of leagues.

    As for pba, they can save the talent of their players if they put no limit and make process easy to the ineligible Filipino players in tge world.

    The Sage Tolentino (if he failed), The hepa, The David, The QMB of the worlds. Even the Brandon Rosser, Taylor Stratham of the world.

    Look, papayagan din magalaro yang mga yan sa pba, if our best eligible local players dont go to pba anymore
    Well they're wasting their prime years and turning them away by by amending their strict rules. There's a ton of talented Fil foreigners who didn't get to apply for the draft this yeat because of that

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,210
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    where is swizerland in fiba europe..
    I'm more referring to their situation in football

Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •