Page 814 of 884 FirstFirst ... 314714764804812813814815816824864 ... LastLast
Results 16,261 to 16,280 of 17663

Thread: Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

  1. #16261
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    For me their talents level are really low in BLeague. Just look at FIBA tournaments. Korea has beaten or have close games with top Asian teams and NZ. With Japan with all BLeague players they lost big margins.
    This is interesting because for me, with R.J. looking like steph curry, Rhenz dominating, the KBL overall is looking like a lower level than the Bleague in general.

  2. #16262
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6,836
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    This is interesting because for me, with R.J. looking like steph curry, Rhenz dominating, the KBL overall is looking like a lower level than the Bleague in general.
    Because having only one world import inside the court means one less big/athletic player clogging the paint or pestering the perimeter.

    The dynamics of KBL and B.League are way different. People here are just ignoring it.
    Last edited by ja.he; 11-30-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    Attack
    defend
    Unite

  3. #16263
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    2,082
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Because one world import inside the court means one less big/athletic player clogging the paint or pestering the perimeter.

    The dynamics of KBL and B.League are way different. People here just simply ignore it.
    I don't think anybody is doubting that given the same number of imports that KBL might be superior than B league because they have less teams and therefore have better locals per team. But the fact is B league has more imports. They can play two world imports and one Asian import at the same time. With 3 tall athletic guys they can afford to have locals who are weaker. Basically, the competition in the B league is harder than KBL. Kiefer has been benched as of late. Thirdy even comes off the bench. Even Dwight does not dominate as in most Gilas games.

    Having two world imports though is a problem if you are a big Asian import. You will always have just bench minutes because you can't play with the 2 world imports.

  4. #16264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Country: Canada

    Default

    One of the things I’ve seen from the KBL, right away the athleticism deficiency is glaring. Also the lack of finishing in the paint or finishing through contact is not that great.

  5. #16265
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,801
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Unfortunately the root of those decisions (bad or what) is the commercial nature of Philippine basketball.
    Nothing is given for free, if a benefactor sponsors Kai , for his US high school endeavor , including funding family (jobs etc), there is a expectation to recuperate investment sooner than later .
    Spending 4 years in a US college , (forgoing monetary gain) may not be an acceptable option for kai's investor benefactors.
    The other thing is the Philippines industry is US centric exposed , it is green field unknown/unfamiliar to go the Euro or NBL club model pathway. (Note if Kai didn't enrol in a US high school he would have kept his international draft classification status, which would only make him auto eligible by the age of 22 yrs old..
    I guess these choices were just to difficult to forsee long term consequences, and Kai's camp was simple reactive in nature, looking for quick returns ..
    Yeah Kai wasn't able to foresee NIL. If he did, maybe college would've been enticing enough.

  6. #16266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    263
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    One of the things I?ve seen from the KBL, right away the athleticism deficiency is glaring. Also the lack of finishing in the paint or finishing through contact is not that great.
    Nah, KBL teams are not overly dependent on their imports unlike the bleague and pba na "asa sa import". Its the fastest league in asia, with their style the closest to the european leagues. Their local forwards are taller, more athletic, can dribble and can score outside compared to japanese and filipino locals.

    To stop this debate, we will look no further that the 2019 EASL when SK Knights defeat Chiba Jets and KCC Egis defeated Utsonomiya Brex

  7. #16267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6,836
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    Nah, KBL teams are not overly dependent on their imports unlike the bleague and pba na "asa sa import". Its the fastest league in asia, with their style the closest to the european leagues. Their local forwards are taller, more athletic, can dribble and can score outside compared to japanese and filipino locals.

    To stop this debate, we will look no further that the 2019 EASL when SK Knights defeat Chiba Jets and KCC Egis defeated Utsonomiya Brex
    But Alvark Tokyo destroyed SK Knights by points and beat Samsung Thunders beat by 9.

    Neither a BLG nor KBL follower here but the point is you cannot just say that KBL teams are strong because Korean National Team is strong and B.Leagues teams are weak because Japanese National Team is weak. Again, the dynamics are different (i.e. system, import presence, league rules).
    Attack
    defend
    Unite

  8. #16268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    263
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    But Alvark Tokyo destroyed SK Knights by points and beat Samsung Thunders beat by 9.

    Neither a BLG nor KBL follower here but the point is you cannot just say that KBL teams are strong because Korean National Team is strong and B.Leagues teams are weak because Japanese National Team is weak. Again, the dynamics are different (i.e. system, import presence, league rules).
    nope im not comparing the NTs. This is basically comparing the styles where the b league is just an american style league (like the pba) where the imports dominate (its much worse in the bleague because of 3 world imports). The kbl is much more like the european style where the concept of teamplay and efficiency are a premium. Almost no import in the kbl scores in the 30s. I prefer the pinoy imports to play in korea for development.

    Basically you can look at the past two versions of the EASL where KBL teams beat the B League Teams. I really don't count the FIBA champions cup because of restrictions, remember that organizers barred newsome and hodge from playing with meralco
    Last edited by deku_midoriya; 11-30-2022 at 12:32 PM.

  9. #16269
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,801
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    All are just mere opinions of Analyze. It is impossible for NBA teams to not factor age in considering prospects. Yurtseven in 2017 was invited to the combine but didn't really attract interest then he went undrafted last 2020. NBA teams wanted him to mature and hone his game prior to acquiring him. That is the purpose of the Gleague. Kai is not an ordinary undrafted player. He has a very strong following of a whole nation and even FIBA makes Kai as one of their poster boys. It is like teams aren't weighing things carefully as per analyze.haha All supposed markers should be met and yet tons of exemptions to his supposed criteria. Kai is playing pro and NT level at 19 and 20. That experience is at par or better than playing college ball. Kai might have fewer games at 18-19 but this year and next will be sufficient enough for teams to continue to evaluate Kai. As per NBL and countless legit NBA personalities and not ghost contacts, teams are constantly checking on Kai. Aside from a strong following and very high marketability, Kai now has the backing of a very influential agency.

    I am expecting Kai to play at least in the Gleague or have a two-way contract next year after his Gilas duties. He will still be very young at that time at age 21. Most undrafted entered the NBA at age 23 onwards.
    Last edited by PeeZones; 11-30-2022 at 02:31 PM.

  10. #16270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Same here but I understood the risk he took playing for Ignite. Its just sad that he didn't see it through.
    Maybe Kai can play here after his NBL stint ends:
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...league-trophy/

    NBA is not all that as a hooper.
    Manifesting: Philippines top 5 in the FIBA World Rankings

  11. #16271
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,801
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Stop it, Pablo Prigioni, Marcelo Huertas, Andre Ingram, Pero Antic and Antoine Rigadeu were all above 30 years of age when they made the NBA.
    Those cases are very rare. The rarer the case, the less likely it would apply to Kai.

  12. #16272
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,801
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Those cases are very rare. The rarer the case, the less likely it would apply to Kai.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rafted_players

    Here is the list of undrafted NBA players and I'm sure it would take you several days to sort them out. Total is 455 as of 2022.
    Last edited by PeeZones; 11-30-2022 at 02:38 PM.

  13. #16273
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    599
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    And thats it for gideon. Refrain from personal attacks guys.
    I think we lost several pages of this thread? last I checked it was page 610 now back to 598

  14. #16274
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    nope im not comparing the NTs. This is basically comparing the styles where the b league is just an american style league (like the pba) where the imports dominate (its much worse in the bleague because of 3 world imports). The kbl is much more like the european style where the concept of teamplay and efficiency are a premium. Almost no import in the kbl scores in the 30s. I prefer the pinoy imports to play in korea for development.

    Basically you can look at the past two versions of the EASL where KBL teams beat the B League Teams. I really don't count the FIBA champions cup because of restrictions, remember that organizers barred newsome and hodge from playing with meralco
    I’m not necessarily talking about teams, yes the team concepts in KBL look a lot better and Korean teams results have been good but just watching the leagues, the level of talent in KBL looks lower, R.J. looks better than most Korean guards he plays and before injury there was talks of him being rookie MVP, he just got out of college. Abando struggled at first with injury but he’s already dominating and people calling him Kawhi Leonard. Thirdy was more pro ready in my opinion and even he struggled in the bleague at first. Gutang has a triple double in the KBL version of gleague.

    Tactically Europe is better but overall talent and level of play is higher in the NBA, doesn’t mean it’s bad.

  15. #16275
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,640
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    In comparing leagues, in my opinion, you ALWAYS include imports who are full-time players. That's a big reason why I put the KBL and even the B.League above the PBA at the moment. Full-time imports increase the talent level.

  16. #16276
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    translation of that article



    lol at our reputation as bad defender
    As of now Abando is number one in the whole KBL including imports in blocks. Abbarientos is 5th in steals.

  17. #16277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    In comparing leagues, in my opinion, you ALWAYS include imports who are full-time players. That's a big reason why I put the KBL and even the B.League above the PBA at the moment. Full-time imports increase the talent level.
    No question when you can have 3 world import and a naturalized player that will dominate any KBL team. World imports are way better players than Asian Players in average.
    But what is the affect in Japan NT and also Pinoy players.

  18. #16278
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,640
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    No question when you can have 3 world import and a naturalized player that will dominate any KBL team. World imports are way better players than Asian Players in average.
    But what is the affect in Japan NT and also Pinoy players.
    I agree, 3 world imports is too much. I'm looking at Balti nga, e. Strike a balance between development and strength.

    But in contrast, if no imports, we see too many 6'4"-6'7" starting bigs who either don't play 4 (Javillonar of Letran, Cuntapay of Beda, Justin Chua, Beau Belga) or can't guard the perimeter (Ian Sangalang, Belga, Chua). Less internationally-fit players, kumbaga. Correct me if I'm wrong na lang.

    At least the Korean basketball system developed enough 6'6"-6'8" players who can play 2 to 4 so that they won't be displaced by the imports.

  19. #16279
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,640
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    As of now Abando is number one in the whole KBL including imports in blocks. Abbarientos is 5th in steals.
    I think the fact that we always sent offense oriented teams before Tab, like Rds said (personally I thought it was between 2017 and 2019), and we had far less regard for defense than in 2013-2016, contributed to the reputation of being bad defenders.

    Gabe, Calvin, and maybe Japeth were also our only reliable defensive players in that period, if I remember correctly. We lacked a Pingris to further help hold defenses together.

    I'm just hoping that the defenses in the UAAP, PBA, and Gilas hold and change that reputation. Honestly, it's frustrating to see good defense not being used in Gilas when we have good defenses domestically.

  20. #16280
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,801
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carmelo7 View Post
    I think we lost several pages of this thread? last I checked it was page 610 now back to 598
    he did post around 450 times so maybe thats why

Page 814 of 884 FirstFirst ... 314714764804812813814815816824864 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •