Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

^^
    Can is different from will, it's common knowledge that there are certain players around the world who are :
    NBA Level
    Euro/ NBL open import level
    B- league open import level

But it's another thing all together to actually be signed and stay. This is where the competition and numbers game happen, yes a player is of a level, but their only limited number of spots available (open import etc) ,, so the question is can the player be selected over everyone else in the world applying for the role ?
    there are hundreds of players in Australia and NZ that "can" possibly play as an import but reality is only a couple 40 plus do. ganoon talaga,..

Christian Standhardinger
    -2013-14 (Senior): Team tri-captain...All-Big West first team for second straight year...one of only two players to first team honors twice (Predrag Savovic)…led the team in scoring (18.1 ppg), rebounding (8.4 rpg) and steals (42)...finished second in the Big West in scoring and third in rebounding...11 double-doubles...20 or more points 12 times...set new UH single-season records from free throws made (195) and attempted (254)… 1,064 career points at UH...just the 16th player and fourth two-year player at UH to accomplish the feat...only two-year player to record 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in his career...

Isaac Fotu
    -2013-14 (Sophomore): An All-Big West first team selection...also named to the NABC All-District 9 second team …just the 11th UH player ever to be named all-district…led the team in field goal percentage (.584) and co-led in blocks (24)...second in scoring (14.9) and rebounding (6.1)...second in the Big West and 17th in the NCAA in field goal percentage...averaged 16.7 ppg and shot 60 percent from the floor and 83 percent in free throws in Big West play...four doubles-doubles on the year...scored 20 or more points in seven contests, including five during league play…

So, is Isaac Fotu a Euro/NBL open import level or a B-League open import level?

It's well documented , Isaac's rise and improvement happened when he left college, ( he left early as was declared ineligible).
    this is where FIBA play at world level really benefits a players stock. Isaac played in the 2014 World cup ( team USA, 2nd round etc) when he was just 18 years old. and he just kept getting better and better outside of college..

in a sense Standhardinger is like Kobe , who was highly ranked coming out of high school, but in Standhardinger case in College, but his peers of the same level just continued to improve outside .of high school and college

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    It's well documented , Isaac's rise and improvement happened when he left college, ( he left early as was declared ineligible).
    this is where FIBA play at world level really benefits a players stock. Isaac played in the 2014 World cup ( team USA, 2nd round etc) when he was just 18 years old. and he just kept getting better and better outside of college..

in a sense Standhardinger is like Kobe , who was highly ranked coming out of high school, but in Standhardinger case in College, but his peers of the same level just continued to improve outside .of high school and college
    Isaac Fotu was born on December, 1993, so he is 20 years old in 2014. So you do think that Hermoso is not a Euro/NBL open import level?

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    I think some B-League teams can gamble on him as World import.. Mas makakatipid pa B-League teams grabbing his services as World import rather than getting Western imports.. And we saw how he can do naman from German league, ABL, Gilas and Northport.. He can produce World import like numbers.. I see aside from him, Mikey Williams and Stanley Pringle are another options for them..
    Agree. As I've said, the 3-world import per team rule in the B-league opens opportunities to less skilled or non go-to-guy type imports. I think CStand can be a complimentary or role playing type of a world import to pair with somebody like a Justin Brownlee or a Terrence Jones or Chris McCullough. Having all 3 imports being go-to-guy type would also be detrimental to a team.

That is why I also believe Ange Kouame could also be a good role playing or complimentary type of a world import in the B-league.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

^^^^
    In my opinion, C Stand is qualified to be a world import in the B league. Aside from his NCAA career, like Tomcat mentioned, this dude was the MVP in the German second division and was an all star in the first division. I could see him being a complimentary piece like Jamskie said in the B league as a 2nd or 3rd import. His numbers in the PBA may not look too good, but I believe that it is due to mismanagement and coaching because when given the chance, he can deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    ^^^^
    In my opinion, C Stand is qualified to be a world import in the B league. Aside from his NCAA career, like Tomcat mentioned, this dude was the MVP in the German second division and was an all star in the first division. I could see him being a complimentary piece like Jamskie said in the B league as a 2nd or 3rd import. His numbers in the PBA may not look too good, but I believe that it is due to mismanagement and coaching because when given the chance, he can deliver.
    If we based his stats at Northport.. He can actually.. He won BPC couple of years ago right... And he's good being back up naturalized player for Gilas at one time.. Aside from that, he's cheaper compare to Western/American imports.. Di sila lugi sa kanya.. Ginagawa kasi syang role player from SMB and Ginebra, that's why his stats are not impressive.. But most of basketball fans know his worth..

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    ^^^^
    If this rumor becomes a reality, I hope C-Stand signs to at least 1 year contract with any of the perennial mid to bottom of the table clubs in the B1 (like San-En). He can stat-pad his way to a bigger contract with contenders, even as a complimentary piece, in the succeeding seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Isaac Fotu was born on December, 1993, so he is 20 years old in 2014. So you do think that Hermoso is not a Euro/NBL open import level?
    Yes you're right he was 20 , point is his FIBA world exposure was beneficial for increasing his stock, a point for our Gilas players

as mentioned in previous post , yes a player like Hermoso can be import level , but what matters is actually getting signed and staying there. and in Fotu's case he's done it .
    2014–2017 Zaragoza
    2014–2015 →Manresa
    2017–2019 ratiopharm Ulm
    2019–2020 Universo Treviso
    2020–2021 Reyer Venezia
    2021–present Utsunomiya Bre

here is some sensitive info, that gives you some idea of why Fotu is in Japan leaving Europe and how much Japan pays (much more than NBL) .
    He's getting $ 850,000 for 1 season ! in B- league. No one get's that in the NBL !

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    If we based his stats at Northport.. He can actually.. He won BPC couple of years ago right... And he's good being back up naturalized player for Gilas at one time.. Aside from that, he's cheaper compare to Western/American imports.. Di sila lugi sa kanya.. Ginagawa kasi syang role player from SMB and Ginebra, that's why his stats are not impressive.. But most of basketball fans know his worth..
    Very much agree on the bolded parts. I think with SMB, CStand had a non-impressive stats but he's somewhat effective playing behind the shadows of Junmar. With Ginebra, I think its more of CStand struggling to adjust with coach Tim Cone's system & maybe coach Tim not knowing how to harness CStand's potential. But I have a feeling, as time goes on, CStand will get more assimilated with coach Tim's system which in turn would translate to a significantly better performance by CStand in Ginebra uniform.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Yes you're right he was 20 , point is his FIBA world exposure was beneficial for increasing his stock, a point for our Gilas players

as mentioned in previous post , yes a player like Hermoso can be import level , but what matters is actually getting signed and staying there. and in Fotu's case he's done it .
    2014–2017 Zaragoza
    2014–2015 →Manresa
    2017–2019 ratiopharm Ulm
    2019–2020 Universo Treviso
    2020–2021 Reyer Venezia
    2021–present Utsunomiya Bre

here is some sensitive info, that gives you some idea of why Fotu is in Japan leaving Europe and how much Japan pays (much more than NBL) .
    He's getting $ 850,000 for 1 season ! in B- league. No one get's that in the NBL !
    if that's the case, we could probably see Stephen Holt taking his talent to Bleague soon...
    https://logosrated.net/wp-content/uploads/parser/Mapua-Institute-of-Technology-Logo-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Enzo Flojo's Twit says the 9th Pinoy can also play as local in the B-League. Say what? Who among the Pinoy ballers has Japanese ancestry?
    any update on this one? i read somewhere that it would be 10 pinoy ballers playing in b-league.
    https://logosrated.net/wp-content/uploads/parser/Mapua-Institute-of-Technology-Logo-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jupitersa View Post
    I do hope Terrence Romeo bites on that rumored $2.7m contract. His name is known in Asia(particularly East and SEA). He should take advantage of that.

But knowing SMC, I have doubts they are willing to let TR7, Bolick, CJ Perez go easily...
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Kahit wala na si Terrence Romeo, I'm fine with Bolick & Perez playing in Japan someday.
    Good news that Bolick and Perez have expiring contracts. Getting used to international-style basketball is good for them if they're to be targets for Gilas. Availability might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Good news that Bolick and Perez have expiring contracts. Getting used to international-style basketball is good for them if they're to be targets for Gilas. Availability might be an issue.
    As I've said many times, Pinoy players playing in Japan's B-league have better availability to play for Gilas than Pinoy players playing in the PBA. In particular, the July to September period in which FIBA tournaments are held, is a period the B-league (as well as almost all the pro leagues in the world) is in its off-season. The same can't be said about the PBA.

As I've said many times, Pinoy players playing in Japan's B-league have better availability to play for Gilas than Pinoy players playing in the PBA. In particular, the July to September period in which FIBA tournaments are held, is a period the B-league (as well as almost all the pro leagues in the world) is in its off-season. The same can't be said about the PBA.
    Hence, the phrase 'might be.' Unlike in the PBA, availability is an issue, thanks to the schedule.

And for our B.League guys, the availability issue is only for windows, but they're available for the tournament proper. For the PBA, it's the tournament proper, as the last World Cup just showed.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Hence, the phrase 'might be.' Unlike in the PBA, availability is an issue, thanks to the schedule.

And for our B.League guys, the availability issue is only for windows, but they're available for the tournament proper. For the PBA, it's the tournament proper, as the last World Cup just showed.
    Well, for the 2023 World Cup qualifiers, the availability problem in the windows won't be that hurtful becoz qualified na naman tayo being one of the hosts. What is much more important is that during the 2023 World Cup tournament proper, our B-league boys would be very much available not just for the tournament per se, but for a lengthy training/preparation period as well. Also, for next year's 2022 FIBA Asia Cup, our Gilas prospects playing in japan would also be available during that period.

Again, we can't say the same thing about our National team prospects in the PBA. So hell with the PBA!!!!

Pre pandemic that is also the schedule of PBA, Oct to July. The issue is players are tired, could get injured and also Mother teams won't release them.
    I hope that B.League won't do the same. We did have Thirdy not joining the AQ because of commitments in Japan. Ofcouse Thirdy did join the Jordan Tournament but with little practice time.

I thought only those who qualified as natural born for their national team in Fiba qualify as Asian imports in the B league? Are these news on Standhardinger, Roosevelt Adams real or just noise from their agents?

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Pre pandemic that is also the schedule of PBA, Oct to July. The issue is players are tired, could get injured and also Mother teams won't release them.
    I hope that B.League won't do the same. We did have Thirdy not joining the AQ because of commitments in Japan. Ofcouse Thirdy did join the Jordan Tournament but with little practice time.
    Are you sure bro? How did our PBA-select Gilas team prepare for the 2019 FIBA World Cup? 2 weeks of practice? You may wonder why 2 weeks lang. I don't think pre-pandemic PBA season had its off-season during the July to September period. I think what happened in 2019 was that the PBA made a brief break to give way to Gilas' stint in the 2019 World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    2015-16: October to October
    2016-17: November to October
    2017-18: December to December
    2019: January 2019 to January 2020

Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast