The Reign of Internationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reign of Internationals

That's it. Europe is the king of the NBA. Giannis MVP of NBA 2019 and 2020 and 2021 it's Jokic. Also, another Euro Doncic is surely will be hunting NBA MVP award for several years as well as international Embiid. Best defensive player Gobert.

OK OK, there's still Lebron, Durant, Curry, Leonard, Davies. Those are still super premium breed, but all getting old. As I was repeating for couple of years now, most of best young NBA players are internationals. Tatum, Young, Morant, Zion are good, but they seem not to have the super premium level as Lebron, Durant, Curry had.

Most likely in upcoming 3 years it will be between Euros Jokic, Giannis, Doncic in the race of the MVP. I hope Jokic and Doncic will unite and will make a dynasty in the NBA. Interesting that Victor Wembanyama might be another future MVP candidate from France. This decade will belong to Europe, IMO.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

I'm going to assume this is not some sort of joke and respond with a serious answer.

Go look at any Top young players list and you will find merely Donic and maybe Sabonis on those lists and the rest mostly Americans

Here is ESPN Top 25 under 25 from April:

You can argue these lists all day long, but the fact is besides Donic (a supreme talent for sure) the lists are dominated by American players and that will continue over the next decade.

You know the NBA MVP doesn't mean the best player in the world just as much as I do. Giannis has been exposed multiple times in the NBA playoffs (and FIBA).

Personally I still think Durant is the best player in the World with Curry not too far behind. Doncic I do think can take that title over the next few years if he remains healthy. But there are many young American challengers in Tatum, Young, Williamson, Booker, Ball, Mitchell etc.

Jokic / Giannis / Doncic are truly wonderful players but they are just three among a sea of excellent American players old and young that will be among the best players in the NBA over the next decade.
    Last edited by mojo13; 06-10-2021, 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You shouldnt overestimate the regular season MVP title. A superstar has to win the finals MVP. The American superstars dont care regular seasons at all.

Comment

This is always the same discussion It's cool that Euros are involved it it but to some extent it's targeting American players, too.

I remember the discussion when LBJ was blamed that he cannot win the title without a superstar team - it ended after his episode in Cleveland. Warriors were no superstar team because they were built and constructed in order to win but also the best offensive player of all times, Kevin Durant, didn't win a title without being surrounded with extra class and already well polished team.

It started with Lakers triangle offense team from Phil Jackson and in last years it seems there are three ways in NBA: No ambition at all, trying to build something by yourself (Denver, Phoenix, Utah, Memphis) and superstar teams. So the big question is how to rate a player that is not playing in a superstar team.

Considering individual awards I agree with Toruko that noone should overestimate awards but they shouldn't also be underestimated either. My perception is that those awards are much more meaningful to American players and American society than to Europeans and they take a certain amount of protection in the league (Refs, of course financial aspects) with them. At the end - it's all about winning titles because basketball is a team sports. Analyzing award impact in the US is like excessive interpretation of stats. It's pretty meaningless if you are the first player who is hitting 3 threes in the last two minutes after doing three push ups, seven pull ups, one sarto mortale and with 78% shooting - so is an MVP award.

Players rely to systems. Not every player fits every system and not every system fits every player. Not every coach's philosophy fits every player. Good players leave their stamps in every team they play - their impact and their greatness can be perceived over a long stretch. Speaking about Jokic I think that he will be remembered as someone who has changed the center position's perception in the NBA over a long term - much bigger recognition mark than some award.

Comment

mojo13, off course it's a bit of provocation and intentional exaggeration, but the tendency is pretty much like this and quantity is not so important as quality. Those players that you shared are good, but who of them are at the level or will be as Lebron, Durant, Curry? I really doubt any of them will be at such level. Maybe they will be close or maybe some configurations of those American players would still allow to dominate the league and to grab titles, but when we speak about the TOP pieces in the league now, it's between Giannis, Jokic, Ebiid, Doncic, IMO, and that's core, that's the zenith. Williamson seemed like the one with clear potential to be something special, but as of yet he didn't show it. Players as Tatum with all respect is not exactly the breed we are discussing here and I doubt he can be better than these internationals. Maybe some Americans of that list will exceed and it will change the picture dramatically, but it's just not there yet, IMO, and I wouldn't see it yet.

So these MVPs do not win NBA titles (yet). But those who win titles are complimented with great players. Lebron wouldn't win nothing without Davies. I don't see anyone like Davies around Donic or Jokic, Giannis...What are we talking about here? Yeah, Americans care about the titles, that's why they run to the teams where talent lies.

My point is that America won't be able to fill the shoes of Lebron, Durant, Curry generation in this decade, we'll see if I'm right. There should be at least slight if not substantial decline of the talent from this point of view.

And my point off course was that I meant few years back when Giannis, Jokic, Porzingis, Cat, Ebiid, Sabonis, Doncic, Gobert, Siakam, Simmons and others were topping under 25 players lists...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I agree with Toruko
            wordle unlimited game

Comment

Jokic (Serbia), Embid (Cameroon) and Giannis (Greece) are the top 3 in the NBA MVP race.

Comment

I don't want to say it sounds like a bait, but it's provocative. They are really good players that happen to be at the top now, but it's not Europe having the best basketball players. I'm glad to see more of them bringing something new to NBA and making it more interesting.
                gruzar.pl

Comment

I love how Luka, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid make plenty of USA basketball reporters, vloggers look stupid

The NBA Media’s Hate of International Players…This Video:Joel Embiid, Luka Doncic. Nikola Jokic, and Giannis Antetokounmpo are all international NBA players....

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                    I love how Luka, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid make plenty of USA basketball reporters, vloggers look stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chur...llSoTrillHoops
                    Videos like this are what’s stupid and a waste of time.

These talking heads are on the radio/tv blabbing away for hours every day for years.
                    And these examples (Cowherd, Stephan A) are the ones whose entire popularity is based off of them making the most outrageous and controversial claims. Idiots who seem to enjoy them are usually tuning in just for the “heat” (outrage, controversy etc). Their job is to make these wild and often wrong claims.

You think it is hard to find stupid and flat out wrong things they said over 1000s of hours of them blabbing away? These guys aren’t even stupid….they know exactly what they are doing and get paid 10s of millions of dollars for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                      Videos like this are what’s stupid and a waste of time.

These talking heads are on the radio/tv blabbing away for hours every day for years.
                      And these examples (Cowherd, Stephan A) are the ones whose entire popularity is based off of them making the most outrageous and controversial claims. Idiots who seem to enjoy them are usually tuning in just for the “heat” (outrage, controversy etc). Their job is to make these wild and often wrong claims.

You think it is hard to find stupid and flat out wrong things they said over 1000s of hours of them blabbing away? These guys aren’t even stupid….they know exactly what they are doing and get paid 10s of millions of dollars for it.
                      I think some of them still want to look objective, like some Richard Jefferson or even Stepehan A tries sometimes. Skip Bayless is the best example of what you're saying, he feeds from hate on Lebron, Doncic and so on. Nevertheless, what I was talking about American nationalism, stupid stereotypes which I think Luka and Doncic changed a lot specially (2 unathletic white dudes dominating the game...), cultural stereotype ("non-American will be the face of NBA, come on"). Jokic still doesn't get enough of recognition basically around media. NBA did a good job giving him MVPs that he deserved. Another thing, Stephan A still can't pronounce Doncic name correctly, that says a lot. My point is I guess, that current internationals, who clearly dominate the game, makes American media feel uncomfortable, they are always pushed to the corner and forced to cut ties with their natural (arrogant) pro- American ways. This is very funny situation and you can feel the frustration to certain extent. They don't even have next Lebron, Curry, Durant. Who will be that super next American? There's no-one of that level.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Skip (Brain)less, oops, Bayless - he's far and away removed from being mentally challenged lol -is just feeding the murican public what they want to hear on national TV day in and day out, nothing else. His and his running buddy Shannon Sharpe just play the roles designed by the sports media in order to generate the most public viewing interest. They are obviously gonna babble about their biggest and most popular american stars instead of talking about some overweight euro kid whose name they can hardly pronounce nor do they try imo

Comment

To be fair Jokic and Doncic combined won 2 games in NBA conference finals and above. No ding ding without champions ring
                          The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Look who's up there. 4 Europeans (including "neo" French Embiid who is off course Cameroonian) are right at the top. Who's that American at 5?

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

So now NBA is about tanking for Victor Wembanyama. It's crazy how high the hype is ATM.

Also it will be interesting to monitor how much players as Wagner, Josh Giddey, Sengun and newly added No.1 pick Banchero will impact the league.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information