Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup (Latvia, Jul 3-11)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    After a bit of a choppy start for Canada and the Lithuanians on an unbelievably hot shooting streak that was never going to last it Looks like the Canadian athletic and talent superiority wins in the end.

European teams, who look like little kids out there, just can’t hang with the athletically and physically superior North American teams over the course of a full game. Perhaps once in a while they can get lucky but that Is unusual.

If these two teams played again it would be a 20-30 point win for Canada.

(See how you guys sound?)

Admittedly it wasn’t good first half by Canada and clearly they need to figure out how to work as a team, but the talent disparity was obvious. Canadian and American teams tend to look pretty rough to start these tournaments but usually get better and better each game as they figure things out. I tend to believe that was alway going to be the worst game you’ll see from a team like this.
    I mean they worked themselves out of a 14 point deficit with ease in the 3rd quarter. But I know many of you don’t like to see that.
    No need to be sad about our comments and its all true what you say. Youth teams expectations are different. We are ok when we have 2-3 guys who can make the jump to the A NT. So winning or losing is not a matter. Team Canada is just unprepared. Congrats.

Adem Bona is more skilled now. He at least is developing some post moves and can slide to the basket but his defense is amazing. He is just the missing piece in our big rotation.

US blew out Turkey in the first quarter and then it was kind of ugly after that. Hard to draw many conclusions with a >20 point margin for most of the game,...obviously they'll need to shoot better from three, but I thought they were mostly taking open threes rather than bad ones. Bigs got out-physicaled more than you would like.

I think some of you are being too hard on Canada. Lithuania has had a lot more basketball success than Canada over the years, so it is a big result for Canada to overcome a large deficit and beat Lithuania. U19 is rarely pretty basketball, and is going to be even less pretty this year, but the ability to overcome adversity and grind out a win should not be underestimated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    No need to be sad about our comments and its all true what you say. Youth teams expectations are different. We are ok when we have 2-3 guys who can make the jump to the A NT. So winning or losing is not a matter. Team Canada is just unprepared. Congrats.

You may recall during our 2017 Gold medal tournament we lost the opening game to a decent but unspectacular Spanish team and RJ Barrett was particularly unimpressive. We have also had very talented teams look disjointed the entire tournament.

Judging a Canadian or American team on their first half of tournament is premature.

I know many of these players fairly well and their was some very uncharacteristicly poor performances from certain players especially in the first half that I doubt will continue. Nembhard, Mathurin, Bediako in particular. Houstan forced allot of tough hero ball shots as well which is far from his reputation.

I know many of these players fairly well and their was some very uncharacteristicly poor performances from certain players especially in the first half that I doubt will continue. Nembhard, Mathurin, Bediako in particular. Houstan forced allot of tough hero ball shots as well which is far from his reputation.
    That's why I said I'm not impressed. Lithuania had +14 at some point. I'm sure Canada will play better in the future. Aside Tubelis, no-one played perfect game for Lithuania either BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Nice start for the Americas teams, with Canada, Argentina, and Puerto Rico all overturning double-digit deficits. PR getting 24 points from Aaron Clark who still has two years of high school remaining.

Excited to see the Australia-Mali game, Aussies often underappreciated but bringing plenty of talent.
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Turkey rallies in the final minute to edge Australia 64-62. Solid win for the Turks. This is a very tough group by U19 standards.

Yeah we somehow managed to win without a play maker and with 3 2004 guys. Berke Büyüktuncel showed that he can compete at this level being 2,5 years younger. The Aussies are our target always. Never saw them winning against us.

Tibet Gorener is a disappointment after all. Havent played for 1 year and no physical development either. I expected the development Sengün had shown but he doesnt have the fire.

Adem Bona is definitely the best defender here in this tournament. He developed from a total non passer to a very solid passer. His defense is amazing. P&R as well as his perimeter defense. Positioning is very good. Moves very smartly.

A win against this high potential Australia team is OK, but the way this win has been taken is not convincing at all. Offensively we were chocked up and there were even no little bit creativity on the floor. Görener and Mutaf are good shooters yet we couldn't create enough positions for them.

No matter what, The Turkish team is the youngest one in the tournament and I expect this win to boost our confidence and play in next phases.

Despite being two years younger than his teammates, Büyüktuncel proved he is the most extraordinary talent of Turkish team.
    Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK

After their strong performance in 2019, Mali is back to not having any guards. First place in the group has a much easier path in the brackets than second place, so Australia losing today is big for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    US blew out Turkey in the first quarter and then it was kind of ugly after that. Hard to draw many conclusions with a >20 point margin for most of the game,...obviously they'll need to shoot better from three, but I thought they were mostly taking open threes rather than bad ones. Bigs got out-physicaled more than you would like.
    the game was not fun to watch indeed, but interesting to catch a glimpse of a potential 2022 NBA Draft 1st overall pick in Holmgreen.

I don't know if it was the lack of tournaments over the last 2 years, but our guys apparently forgot how to hold a ball, let alone dribble. very disappointing display. Adem Bona at least showed a few flashes of athleticism, and some degree of improvement.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I kinda watched the both games afterwards due to the Qualifiers and it was clear from the beginning that we would have a big play making problem. The change of Tibet Gorener is really - lets say - astonishing. The kid slept half of the game two years ago and now he is jumping to all possible balls. There is not much creativity but this is a very young team with good defensive upside.

Especially Berke Büyüktuncel surprised me after his weak ANGT performance. I dont want to be harsh on a kid who is almost 3 years younger than his competitors though.

Gorener on the other hand is a disappointment even though he has the right attitude. Not playing an entire season had a very negative impact on his shooting performance. Still a good guy for Europe.

after watching him over the first 3 games so far, I wonder if Yigit Onan, the son of TBF's CEO Omer Onan, has valid reasons to be in this team.

Darmn, Serbia beat Latvia only by single point. This tournament will have some surprises, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    after watching him over the first 3 games so far, I wonder if Yigit Onan, the son of TBF's CEO Omer Onan, has valid reasons to be in this team.
    He was the finals MVP of the Turkish youth league (BGL), which only confirms the miserable level our basketball development is in. Since the young “golden” generation replaced the new, so many years have passed and we still haven’t progressed a lick. I’m especially disappointed with Efes and Fener, the supposed powers of our basketball, who don’t have a single exciting prospect to show for. At this point I want a full resignation of all the responsible people. The TBF needs to be cleansed too, someone with an actual plan and vision has to take Hidayets place.

Canada finally had a game without a slow start today and ended with a 30 point win over Senegal.
    Despite having some NBA prospects in the front line, Senegal looks to be pretty weak at guard so this result was expected.

Ryan Nembhard (PG) had a really really good game from start to finish (other games he seemed to have a strong 2nd half but a slow start). But we really have no PG after him and could be susceptible to heavy pressure from the better teams.

7'4, 290 Zach Eday has been out most consistent player. 18 points, 17 rebounds, and 2 blocks today - good hands, smart player. He dominated his match up with NBA prospect Ibou Badji and it makes me wonder if he should have stayed with the senior national team when our front line was so undersized (oh well!).

We have shown we have a very thin bench so far - really only 7 or so solid players, with a very good back up C in Bediako and a very good (but young) wing in Elijah Fisher. This is another weakness that could haunt us against better teams.

Caleb Houstan is weirdly shooting terribly (5 of 29 or 17% across 3 games) but he is playing well in all other aspects of the game. I really think he might be one of the best shooters in this tournament, which lends one to believe he will sort out his cold streak at some point (law of averages right?). He really is too good of a shooter to expect this to continue. If he gets going we will have a decent shot against the USA, if he doesn't we won't have a chance and may not even make it to them. We are going to need Mathurin, Houstan, Nembhard, Eday all to have good games (or at least not bad games) at the same time to medal. Or else a great game by Fisher and some of the other bench guys to step up.

They seem to be getting better each game, so the expectations of a strong finish continue.

Question: Anyone know why the USA and Canada are on the same side of the draw as the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the world?
    Is that because of regional balancing? FIBA doesn't want two America's teams in the finals? Or was Latvia given the #1 seed and USA and Canada are seed 2 and 3?

Edit: I looked at the draw and it seems they put USA, Canada, Spain and host Latvia in Pot 1 and randomly drew them into pools from that. So not really seeded (outside of determining what Pot you are in) and a predetermined crossover of pools (A v D and B v C). Just happened that USA/Canada were drawn into Pools that cross in the semis (A v D).
    Last edited by mojo13; 07-06-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Edit: I looked at the draw and it seems they put USA, Canada, Spain and host Latvia in Pot 1 and randomly drew them into pools from that. So not really seeded (outside of determining what Pot you are in) and a predetermined crossover of pools (A v D and B v C). Just happened that USA/Canada were drawn into Pools that cross in the semis (A v D).
    Yeah, there is no seeding beyond putting the top ranked teams and the host in Pot 1. Seeding youth tournaments beyond keeping apart teams from the same region is mostly pointless anyway.

US with a good performance against Australia today, especially coming out strong in the third quarter after letting the Aussies come back late in the first half. Great to see the US dominate a game at youth level when they do not necessarily have a physical advantage. Australian bigs not showing much on offense. US is the third-best three point shooting team so far and 11 of the 16 teams are below 30%, cannot evaluate these teams by senior level standards.

Disappointed that the 275-pound Kenneth Lofton Jr is not the son of the ultra-fast base-stealing point guard Kenny Lofton.

Who you thinking the top teams are from what you've seen so far?

I'm USA, Canada, France, Australia. Serbia's 1 point win over Latvia has me questioning them.

I watched Americans yesterday. I watched Frenchmen and Serbia as well. For me incredible downfall of quality comparing with tournaments 8-9 years ago. Frightening downfall to be honest. I have feeling that Serbia 2013 with Milutinov, Jokic, Jaramaz and Novak would beat this Serbia with 50. Same goes for US team 2013 vs. this year. No big sample size and it's just youth basketball where sense is often difficult to find but anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    He was the finals MVP of the Turkish youth league (BGL), which only confirms the miserable level our basketball development is in. Since the young “golden” generation replaced the new, so many years have passed and we still haven’t progressed a lick. I’m especially disappointed with Efes and Fener, the supposed powers of our basketball, who don’t have a single exciting prospect to show for. At this point I want a full resignation of all the responsible people. The TBF needs to be cleansed too, someone with an actual plan and vision has to take Hidayets place.
    wow, would have never guessed it. thanks. He seems to have inherited all of his father's bone-headedness but none of his great shooting skills .

TBF needs to be cleansed. amen brother.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast