Turkish National Team 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    I think this is a good observation and key to success for beating Greece. Turkey/Czechs will try to pace up, Greece will try to slow down. It will get physicall. I think that this could be a good game in potential semifinal/final. I like this Turkish roster but physicality is somehow a little of a weakspot at first view (even I don't know all the players so good, speaking about the "known" names).

Greece is out of some reason a little underrated in this board. They aren't so bad like people write constantly. There are several good players even though Papepetrou seems to be quite irreplacable for them this year - but Papapetrou is a little of a ballhog at least in PAO, maybe it makes them more fluid without him. Anyways, huge minus summa summarum.

One of those games where the phrase that rebounding wins games is really important. Who controls boards and doesn't turn over will win most probably. Korkmaz is huge upgrade for Turkey but I am always sceptical if players come without playing a test match to the team - especially from NBA. It's simply too much of a difference.

I don't see clear favourite in this tournament, it will really be good basketball.

Btw, are you sure that Larkin will play point and not SG? I think this could be more helpful to let him play his most comfortable position. In Efes he looks much better at SG than at PG for example.
    He will be the starting PG but it would be wrong to use him as the primary playmaker. In that role we can use Osman or Hazer.

Comment

I think this is a good observation and key to success for beating Greece. Turkey/Czechs will try to pace up, Greece will try to slow down. It will get physicall. I think that this could be a good game in potential semifinal/final. I like this Turkish roster but physicality is somehow a little of a weakspot at first view (even I don't know all the players so good, speaking about the "known" names).

Greece is out of some reason a little underrated in this board. They aren't so bad like people write constantly. There are several good players even though Papepetrou seems to be quite irreplacable for them this year - but Papapetrou is a little of a ballhog at least in PAO, maybe it makes them more fluid without him. Anyways, huge minus summa summarum.

One of those games where the phrase that rebounding wins games is really important. Who controls boards and doesn't turn over will win most probably. Korkmaz is huge upgrade for Turkey but I am always sceptical if players come without playing a test match to the team - especially from NBA. It's simply too much of a difference.

I don't see clear favourite in this tournament, it will really be good basketball.

Btw, are you sure that Larkin will play point and not SG? I think this could be more helpful to let him play his most comfortable position. In Efes he looks much better at SG than at PG for example.
      Its not just Papapetrou. Almost the entire starting five is gone. Papanikolaou, Papapetrou, Printezis, Giannis also cant come anymore. Even Papagiannis and Mitoglou is injured. If they manage to make out of the first group it can be considered as a success.

Comment

Papagiannis and Mitoglou should be both fine according to Greek media. Same goes for Sloukas, Calathes. I have no info for Athinaiou but in summary this is a solid team and here people write like they are total basket-analphabets. I am curious how this will look in Canada, too, but Greece can beat anyone in this tournament on a good day. Looking at other opponents in this tournament noone is unbeatable.

Comment

Papagiannis and Mitoglou should be both fine according to Greek media. Same goes for Sloukas, Calathes. I have no info for Athinaiou but in summary this is a solid team and here people write like they are total basket-analphabets. I am curious how this will look in Canada, too, but Greece can beat anyone in this tournament on a good day. Looking at other opponents in this tournament noone is unbeatable.
          No, they cant.

Comment

Okay!

Comment

I will try to write down my opinions after the update that both of our last NBA players confirmed participation.

My biggest concern was shooting tbh. Melih Mahmutoglu had a terrible season, he cant defend and put the ball on the floor with being 1,90 m. Sehmus Hazer is a very good defender and can penetrate but a streaky shooter. Metecan Birsen is a very solid rebounder but streaky shooter etc.

Our main offensive power are our 3 big man. These 3 guys will grab loads of rebounds and bring many second chance points but in order to utilize the full power of our good low post scorer (Sengün and Yurt7) we need space. Also the penetrations of Larkin will help creating space and thats why it was crucial to make the shots.

Considering Shane will find his rhythm in the third game we have enough shooting power with Sanli, Korkmaz and Ilyasova. The others are not great but can make shots as well. Osman should be around 35%, Birsen too. Shortly said, I dont see much problems offensively right now.

Defensively Yurt7 made a very good picture in the last 2 games against Russla. Knowing of the defensive potential of Osman we can also put a quite solid (for Turkish expectations ) defensive team in the fourth quarters.

The biggest problem right now is the guard pairing on the court. Simply all of our guards are small as hell and fairly bad defenders.

As a couple of guys mentioned already, to fully take advantage of Larkin we have to use him from time to time as a finisher. Here Osmans ball handling and pick and roll skills important. We can also play p&r from 4 to 5 which is very difficult to defend.

I saw some Canadians discussing about how tough Turkey will be and it was really fun.

Comment

Comment

Breaking news. Shane Larkin is out of the roster due to his injury. We really should let it go with naturalized guys since we have no luck with them.

Comment

After the Olympic Qualifiers I want to share some thoughts about the future of the Turkish Basketball.

Case loser mentality

As we already know our team hardly reached its potential between after 2001 and 2010 despite being one of the top candidates in the tournaments. The downfall started with Eurobasket 13 and is still continuing. Nobody can explain me how we could get from a decimated Greek team 54 points from a team whose only scorer is Sloukas. Its not the matter of disrespecting the Greek team. I am just talking about this team.

Nick Calathes could do everything on the court and we didnt force him once to shoot going down a screen. He may have his good day and shoot well then it would have been ok but being from +14 to - 20 is not acceptable and not excusable.

"Play making problem"

Cedi is in a loser team and has struggle finding minutes in Cleveland. He has neither the mental toughness nor the quality being the main decision maker let alone the scorer of a team. There is not a single play maker who has the control of a team. Merely a bunch of bench guys who play some trash minutes. A bit of pressure of Calathes and Sloukas was enough to rip our defense apart. BTW I wouldnt also accept a win coming with Larkin. We have to solve this play making problem by ourselves. There are guys, we must show trust and patience.

Generational change

The change came to late and we trusted for too long time our old guys. The bigger problem was the time of overwhelming wealth. The teams were relying on foreigners too much. The federation reacted too slow and too soft. The talented generations of 95-97 couldnt find a place and had been on the bench for many years. This time it was Ersan Ilyasova who was persuaded although he didnt want to play. He did great job for us and we got everything from him. His job is finished. Dont call him anymore. He was barely walking on the floor.

Conclusion

I have been following the Turkish basketball for years closely and there is talent. We just need time and a better physical development of the young guys. When we lose let us lose with the talented young guys instead of Göksenin Köksals and Melih Mahmutoglus. There is a good trend being implemented by Fikret Dogan the coordinator of our youth system. Many under aged young player are being used in the U19 and U20 tournaments. Our generational change is not finished yet. The next ones will be Mert Akay and Yigitcan Saybir. We will find a roster who will have a certain chemistry eventually.

Comment

This is the roster for the upcoming qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                        This is the roster for the upcoming qualifiers.
                        Larkin and Sanli coming? Unlikely I think. Specially for the latter. He had some injuries and needs to get along with Barsa's system.
                        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                        Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

As first game is without EL players 100% as on same day and following day EL is being played i expect Efes and Fener player for second game. First game will be tough one with this roster to be honest. But second one it wlil be upgraded with domestic EL players and Larkin and should look overall two classes better.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                            Larkin and Sanli coming? Unlikely I think. Specially for the latter. He had some injuries and needs to get along with Barsa's system.
                            Well, the Turkish EL players will play in the second game for sure. I dont expect Sanli to come over either tbh but he is not the biggest problem right now. We have enough center of enough quality for Belarus. Play making is another story. Efes and Fener would have let go of some even for the first game if the situation was a bit more positive but...

Comment

Larkin wont be in the first game in Minsk, Sanli wont be available for both games and one of Mahmutoglu or Hazer wont be available in the first game either.

Comment

Frustrating situation, I really consider this unfair like for many other teams.

It's really a pervert situation that best teams are those with most Eurocup players like Latvia, Italy etc. and punishment goes to teams that create good players.

We are all in the same boat and at least there is some hope that this insanity will end from February ongoing. I really hope for solid national teams that they won't destroy their qualifiers in their opening windows.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information