Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Greek National Team 2021

Greece failed to qualify, but Greece didn't fail. They played excellent basketball and at the end of the day they lost to a team which is playing under the same coach for 8 years. While the rooster is arguably just as good or better. Let's face it. Greece's rooster was very thin this time. No coach would have done better with that rooster and limited preparation time.

Now, what is important is that the Federation elects a new president and starts a new project which will take several years. Under the same coach ofcourse.

The great news is that Pitino is still interested in that position. He might just take on a project until the London 2024 Olympics. He is the right man for that. Greece has the talent in order to win a medal. But we need a good coach who has time in order to work on the long project.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

What will be the next steps for the Greek National Team?

Some notes:
    1. New coach (my dream is Dimitris Itoudis)
    2. Eurobasket ‘22
    3. World Championship ‘23
    4. Olympics ‘24

I believe it will be a rejuvenated and Giannis-focused team for Big events.

Some thoughts will be:

OUT: Spanoulis ‘82 Zisis ‘83 BOUROUSIS ‘83
    PRINTEZIS ‘85 Bramos ‘87

IN: Giannis ‘94 & Thanatis ‘92 & Kostas ‘97 Chrysikopoulos ‘92 Larentzakis ‘93 Mitrou Long ‘93 Auguste ‘93 Papapetrou ‘94 Agravanis ‘94 Dorsey ‘96 Mitoglou ‘96 Koniaris ‘97 Papagiannis ‘97 Rogkavopoulos ‘01

TO EVALUATE: Calathes ‘89 Koufos ‘89 Sloukas ‘90 Mantzaris ‘90 Pappas ‘90 PAPANIKOLAOU ‘90 Kaselakis ‘90 Katsivelis ‘91 Kavvadas ‘91 Alex ANTETOKOUNMPO ‘01 Kalaizakis ‘99

And what are you trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by JABroy View Post
    What will be the next steps for the Greek National Team?

Some notes:
    1. New coach (my dream is Dimitris Itoudis)
    2. Eurobasket ‘22
    3. World Championship ‘23
    4. Olympics ‘24

I believe it will be a rejuvenated and Giannis-focused team for Big events.

Some thoughts will be:

OUT: Spanoulis ‘82 Zisis ‘83 BOUROUSIS ‘83
    PRINTEZIS ‘85 Bramos ‘87

IN: Giannis ‘94 & Thanatis ‘92 & Kostas ‘97 Chrysikopoulos ‘92 Larentzakis ‘93 Mitrou Long ‘93 Auguste ‘93 Papapetrou ‘94 Agravanis ‘94 Dorsey ‘96 Mitoglou ‘96 Koniaris ‘97 Papagiannis ‘97 Rogkavopoulos ‘01

TO EVALUATE: Calathes ‘89 Koufos ‘89 Sloukas ‘90 Mantzaris ‘90 Pappas ‘90 PAPANIKOLAOU ‘90 Kaselakis ‘90 Katsivelis ‘91 Kavvadas ‘91 Alex ANTETOKOUNMPO ‘01 Kalaizakis ‘99
    First your list should start with "New federation president". The vote is scheduled for this autumn.
    Then I guess we will continue to see two national teams. The first for qualification games based on "greek virtues" like defense due to lack of athletism of the available players and one Giannis-centered team for the "big" events playing run&gun. However from my judgement Eurobasket will not be considered as a big event and Giannis will not show up and this is the main problem. Giannis is a bad FIBA player and he needs time to adapt which he will never get if his team is playing in the Finals. All in all I am very pessimistic. I dont see any progress in any field.

So we got a new federation boss. Its Vangelis Liolios. He is a former pediatrist. Owner of the coffe-house brand "coffe island" which according to wikipedia is ranked 6th in whole Europe and president of the basketball club Promitheas Patras. I did not expect this outcome since my bet was on Fassoulas. But maybe due to his his red sport's past as center from Olympiakos and his green political past as PASOK candidate for major in Priaeus he is seen as biased and the vote went to a candiate which is viewed as more neutral. I dont know. Whoever is the boss now has to master many difficult challenges.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-15-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Curious what the Greeks are hearing about Naz Mitrou-Long. Technically he is still a "free agent" between Greece and Canada having yet to play FIBA.
    I know Canada has invited him to camps over the years (as has Greece) but he has never shown up and I don't think Canada was ever really prioritizing him.

I was unsurprised that he never committed to Greece yet as well and thought that was more likely to happen once his career took him to Europe. I'm a little surprised he didn't end up on a Greek club but now that he is in Europe he should be much more accessible to Greece.

He'd still be a naturalized player - so I am not sure where he fits in that order (behind Dorsey? above Auguste?).

Anyways - I'm curious if the expectation is for him to join the WC Qualifier teams? I'd like to seem him play somewhere and he may fill more of need for Greece than Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Curious what the Greeks are hearing about Naz Mitrou-Long.
    I found an article from March where Naz's baby brother Elijah was talking about his ambitions to become member of the greek national team. In this article Elijah claimed that both he and his brother want to get a greek passport and to play for Greece. His grandfather in Montreal speaks only greek to them because his english is limited and that his mother is very enthusiastic about the fact he is playing now for PAOK in Greece.

https://www.sport24.gr/basket/elaitz...o.9160095.html
    If you like you can read the article youself by using https://www.deepl.com/translator. This is the best translator I found for greek so far. They used the document database of the institutions of the European Union which have to be translated into all languages of all member states to train their AI/ML software.

There was also another report claiming that Panathinaikos was interested to hire Naz but at the end the deal broke due to limited financial resources available at the moment.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-15-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    I found an article from March where Naz's baby brother Elijah was talking about his ambitions to become member of the greek national team. In this article Elijah claimed that both he and his brother want to get a greek passport and to play for Greece. His grandfather in Montreal speaks only greek to them because his english is limited and that his mother is very enthusiastic about the fact he is playing now for PAOK in Greece.

https://www.sport24.gr/basket/elaitz...o.9160095.html
    If you like you can read the article youself by using https://www.deepl.com/translator. This is the best translator I found for greek so far. They used the document database of the institutions of the European Union which have to be translated into all languages of all member states to train their AI/ML software.

There was also another report claiming that Panathinaikos was interested to hire Naz but at the end the deal broke due to limited financial resources available at the moment.

That's a good ready, thanks. Sounds pretty certain they intend to play for Greece. Hopefully they can help you.

I thought PAOK waived Elijah Mitrou Long last month?

Is that incorrect? If correct do you know where he is now?

Anyways - I dont think he is the one you want. Naz is a much better player.

The new federation president has indicated that his priority will be to hire a Greek coach of high standard and experience.

On that note, I am glad Liolios was elected as the new Federation president. He seems to be the right man for the job.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

The greek press is discussiing a national coach tandem arrangement with Itoudis for the big tournaments and Spanoulis for the qualification phase. Lets see if this option will come true.

Jackpot for Greece with Itoudis. Congrats, friends. Best possible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Jackpot for Greece with Itoudis. Congrats, friends. Best possible solution.
    Yup. I'm kinda envy of this. Really one of the top European coaches today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456