Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Greek National Team 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Papapetrou might skip the Olympic Qualifiers due to an injury. Would be a huge blow for Greece.
    You are right. Probably the best player Greece has at the moment. Aside from Giannis. Or perhaps, who knows? In FIBA one never can tell. Without Papapetrou Greece's chances are very slim. Especially considering Papanikolaou is out as well. And so is Thanassis.

Efes is very wise to go after him. He has made a lot of progress during this years season.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    You are right. Probably the best player Greece has at the moment. Aside from Giannis. Or perhaps, who knows? In FIBA one never can tell. Without Papapetrou Greece's chances are very slim. Especially considering Papanikolaou is out as well. And so is Thanassis.

Efes is very wise to go after him. He has made a lot of progress during this years season.
    I am not a big fan of him to be honest, at least offensively. He is a very streaky shooter and is also not very skilled in driving to the rim, powers his way in instead of doing things with skill, touch is not bad though.

Its true that there were rumors Efes would target him but there is not a big interest, although he is a solid defender.
    Last edited by Toruko; 06-16-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Yeah well Papapetrou has developed quite a lot this season. If he doesn't show up, we may see someone like Giannopoulos and Rogkavopoulos on the final rooster.

In any case, current rooster:

Spanoulis, Printezis, Sloukas, Mitoglou, Larentzakis, Papagiannis, Mitoglou, Kavvadas, Athinaiou, Chougkaz, Rogkavopoulos, Kostas Antetokoumpo, Chrisikopoulos, Lountzis, Giannopoulos, Katsivelis, Mouratos, Kaselakis.

Expected:
    Calathes

In doubt:
    Papapetrou

So Papapetrou is defentively out and Calathes will only join after the Acropolis tournament. Maybe Spanoulis should reconsider and spend the summer with his familiy at the beach. Agiokambos, Vilika, Platamona all decent places nearby his hometown Larisa. However I think he prefers Santorin, Mykonos ...
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 06-17-2021 at 01:54 PM.

The Greek federation should really start thinking about the future of the Greek NT. We can consider that it will be the last tournament of Printezis, Calathes, Spanoulis and Bourousis. Koufos carrier is over and he is surely not focused on continuing. Dorsey doesnt seem to have a strong emotional connection to the Greek NT. Giannis is a problem for itself. Even if he wants to play for the NT playing every year in deep time exhausts him.

Shortly said Greece needs a new go-to guy. Bench is a big problem, scoring is a big problem.

I think that right now we can safely say that Greece has few chances in qualifying. Canada was the favorite. Still is, but now they would have to fear other teams more than they do Greece. Giannis, Thanassis, Papapetrou, Papanikolaou, along with the retirement of Bourousis are serious absentees. The SF position is seriously compromised. But at least we get to enjoy the OQT.

On another note, Mitoglou said that he will play the SF position.

The Greek federation should really start thinking about the future of the Greek NT.
    Ha Ha Ha best joke ever. The greek federation's main concern is who the next federation's president will be and how to play power games with the goverment.

Who ever wants to see the game Greece against Mexico. Its broadcasted now.
    https://www.ertflix.gr/ert3-live/

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    Who ever wants to see the game Greece against Mexico. Its broadcasted now.
    https://www.ertflix.gr/ert3-live/
    Give us some summary later. I would watch it but Turkey vs Russia right now and Germany vs Czechs in Hamburg.

Give us some summary later. I would watch it but Turkey vs Russia right now and Germany vs Czechs in Hamburg.
    I would say that greek defense is worse than offense. They had some decent plays against an Mexican team which is playing even worse defense then Greece. 3pt shooting rate is very low as usual. They dont have many chances against a real competitior. Unfortunately Serbia is missing many key players. Otherwise greek weaknesses would be exposed also in score very clearly at Sunday.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 06-18-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Pitino just said that Printezis is out of the tournament because he has a serious injury. I am wondering if he is talking about Acropolis cup or the Olympic Qualification tournament. Since he said that the team got an emotional shock I guess that Prinzezis will be out completely.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 06-18-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Heard it was an ankle injury with an MRI required but yet to be completed. So unknown on seriousness yet. B

Yep, without Printezis we literally lost all our SF and PF of the full rooster. We are going to go with our B team and hope for the best. We may not even make the second round. But hey, it's a small tournament. Crazy things happen.

Yep, without Printezis we literally lost all our SF and PF of the full rooster. We are going to go with our B team and hope for the best. We may not even make the second round. But hey, it's a small tournament. Crazy things happen.
    Pitino was pissed-off completely. I am wondering what he was expecting. We lost such tournaments with much better rosters. If Printezis is in our out does not make any difference. The chances for Greece to qualify is not only zero but negative.

I am really sorry. I was looking forward to beat a strong and competitive Greek NT but every NT is struggling right now more or less. The problem is i guess the average age of the team.

Maybe to make you feel a little better - we have no idea who showed up to camp yet. Three days in and it is a near total mystery - when that happens it is often bad news..

Just RJ Barrett and Dwight Powell confirmed so far.

Watched the second game of Greece against Puerto Rico to get a better picture of the Greek NT. First of all horrible team of Puerto Rico. Never watched a bad PR team like this. This is not BB what they are playing. It is more who will get to the rim next game.

Greeks again were shooting horribly and unlike the Greeks we know too many TO in the first half.

The good: Mouratos developed splendidly also Lountzis was good. You Greeks really know how to build up a play maker. Both of them would be the starting PG of team Turkey without a doubt!

The bad: shooting and big rotation. Kostas is a very raw guy with 24 and wont be able to keep the ball in his hands for very long. He could give a bit rim protection and some pick and roll action if it is just finishing at the rim but an injury prone and TO prone. Kavvadas is even worse. Skill set is nearly zero, can hardly move and is slow as hell.

All three teams and even China will exploit that weakness for sure.

And i am really sorry that I suggested Rogkavopoulos. Not that he cant defend anyone he is also not able to score.

I see a team with many talented guards but thats it.

Well, Greece may be an underdog this year, after Canada and Turkey. But given Kostas Antetokoumpo performance we clearly saw that the future of Greece in the center position is secure. Papagiannis and Kostas, both 23 year olds, will do just fine in future big tournaments.

I also think that Mouratos and Lountzis have a lot of room for improvement the coming years. Rogkavopoulos is too young to be judged upon. But he is not ready for big tournaments yet. He needs a few years at least.

Tomorrow I see a clear win for Serbia. But I have to say that this Greek team really had very little time to prepare. And frankly, the coach is essentially trying to find out which are the best fitting final 4 players of the team.

Well, Greece may be an underdog this year, after Canada and Turkey. But given Kostas Antetokoumpo performance we clearly saw that the future of Greece in the center position is secure. Papagiannis and Kostas, both 23 year olds, will do just fine in future big tournaments
    You are indeed the underdog against Canada and Turkey but also the underdog against Czech Republic. Its not quite clear if Vesely will attend but you barely beat them in 2019 with a full roster. And btw. every team has the problem with short prep time and every game is a low quality game so far.

To the big problem of Greece just one two sentences. The traditional big rotation of Greece was never very talented because they dont have to be. All creativity comes from the guards. The only guy who was able to create his own shot at high degree was Printezis. His last shot against CSKA in 2012 is still in my mind and also 2019 his crazy shot against Brazil.

To fill this gap is a problem for itself because printezis always contributed like 15-17 points in tournaments. Mitoglou is a good defender but not a scoring type guy. Taken away one of the best passers on the world I dont see any substitution for him. Kostas on the other hand must leave the States asap if he wants to have a carrier at all. He is not 23 again he is 97 born and didnt make one serious game.

Giannis considering he comes to the next tournaments would give you single-handedly elite defense and rim protection, elite transition game but he cant create anything with the ball so scoring will be a huge problem in the future. Even now with Calathes I would be super surprised if you ever score 70+ in any of the following games. Maybe against Turkey if you have a good day since our defense is traditionally bad.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast