Greek National Team 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Lebowski View Post
    According to this interview, it seems he's not Greek... yet: https://basketnews.com/news-166035-n...h-giannis.html

This means that news about having gotten the citizenship were just speculations.

About the player, probably he's the biggest surprise in the entire planet this year: Brescia is 3rd in the Italian league right now and won the last 14-15 consecutive games. Mitrou-Long is both scoring and orchestrating (maybe he's not exactly the typical old-style "play maker") and in a normal system he would be the Italian League MVP. Award the probably will end up in the end of Amedeo Della Valle, Italian national and former Ohio State, who's leading the scoring table and having a quite good season. Helped by Mitrou-Long.

So, accoring to the interview, it's quite hard to imagine him playing with Greece in the short period. Where he would be part of an interesting couple of guards with Tyler Dorsey. Anyway, according to Legabasket official site, it's also hard he can play for Canada. Here (https://legabasket.it/player/6141/nazareth-mitrou-long) he appears to be a... U.S. citizen.
    I can not confirm if this Liga website link showing USA citizenship is just wrong or if he has USA citizenship too.

I can confirm he is Canadian - this is undisputed. Born and raised in Canada, played highschool and AAU ball out of Canada (he did play his later highschool in the USA as well as NCAA).

Just read the first article you posted. He confirms himself he was born and raised in Canada. He also says he has never been to Greece. Which is pretty funny considering.

"Yeah, the Greek Federation has been as diligent as they can," Mitrou-Long confirms before breaking down the reasons for choosing Greece NT over Team Canada.

"It's not that I made that decision," he makes clear. [My Note: I read this as Canada made the decision by not pursuing him]

"I'm a Canadian born and raised, but I acknowledge and love the fact that I have Greek ethnicity in my blood. Canada will always hold a special place in my heart, but it's a very talented organization and program. I think doing things for yourself isn't wrong sometimes, and you have to look at the bigger picture.

I want to do something special which is play at the biggest stage. The Olympics and helping your country is one of those. [My Note: Considering Canada's depth of elite guards and the miserable history of getting to the Olympics, he has a better chance with Greece]

With regards to Canada, I wasn't in the program when I was young. I was a late bloomer, so there was no strong connection. We've just waited it out because of those reasons," Mitrou-Long says. "

The bigger picture is he has not been good enough to play for Canada at the premier events (and still isn't) and there is better financial opportunites available by playing for Greece now that his career is in Europe. I understand that... hopefully he can help Greece. They desperately need shooters...

But it still seems it is Dorsey OR Long not both. They are both considered naturalized no?
    Last edited by mojo13; 05-26-2022, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
      I can not confirm if this Liga website link showing USA citizenship is just wrong or if he has USA citizenship too.

I can confirm he is Canadian - this is undisputed. Born and raised in Canada, played highschool and AAU ball out of Canada (he did play his later highschool in the USA as well as NCAA).

Just read the first article you posted. He confirms himself he was born and raised in Canada. He also says he has never been to Greece. Which is pretty funny considering.

"Yeah, the Greek Federation has been as diligent as they can," Mitrou-Long confirms before breaking down the reasons for choosing Greece NT over Team Canada.

"It's not that I made that decision," he makes clear. [My Note: I read this as Canada made the decision by not pursuing him]

"I'm a Canadian born and raised, but I acknowledge and love the fact that I have Greek ethnicity in my blood. Canada will always hold a special place in my heart, but it's a very talented organization and program. I think doing things for yourself isn't wrong sometimes, and you have to look at the bigger picture.

I want to do something special which is play at the biggest stage. The Olympics and helping your country is one of those. [My Note: Considering Canada's depth of elite guards and the miserable history of getting to the Olympics, he has a better chance with Greece]

With regards to Canada, I wasn't in the program when I was young. I was a late bloomer, so there was no strong connection. We've just waited it out because of those reasons," Mitrou-Long says. "

The bigger picture is he has not been good enough to play for Canada at the premier events (and still isn't) and there is better financial opportunites available by playing for Greece now that his career is in Europe. I understand that... hopefully he can help Greece. They desperately need shooters...

But it still seems it is Dorsey OR Long not both. They are both considered naturalized no?
      His mother is Greek, so under Greek law he is not naturalized. But FIBA may have a different opinion.
      But where exactly does he fit in the Greek NT? There's plenty of guards as good or better than him. But hey, if he is a better shooter, perhaps he has a chance.
      PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information