This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I think there are players, in particular PBA players, who didn't have much impact during their early 20's but started to make noticeable impact when they reached 26, 27, 28 years old. Jeff Chan is a good example. He played for Gilas when he was already in his late 20's & he made good impact with Gilas during his stint. I don't think Chan would have made the same impact had he played for the national team 4 years earlier. I think the same could be said about the likes of Larry Fonacier, LA Tenorio, Jayson Perkins (though he never played with Gilas). There are really players who are late bloomers.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I think there are players, in particular PBA players, who didn't have much impact during their early 20's but started to make noticeable impact when they reached 26, 27, 28 years old. Jeff Chan is a good example. He played for Gilas when he was already in his late 20's & he made good impact with Gilas during his stint. I don't think Chan would have made the same impact had he played for the national team 4 years earlier. I think the same could be said about the likes of Larry Fonacier, LA Tenorio, Jayson Perkins (though he never played with Gilas). There are really players who are late bloomers.
      26-28 is the start of a player's prime, and he approaches his peak, where he becomes more useful.

So really, it's up to the team to develop him to make an impact not just with the mother club, but in FIBA as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rds View Post
        Although it is late I believe players can improve in the early to mid 20s. The best example is Kawhi Leonard. He graduated from college as an undersized PF with no 3 pt shot. While he always had his defense, he developed his shooting and handles to become the top two way player in the league. And probably around top 3 in the league at his peak. That means though it is ideal to develop players earlier, they can still significantly improve while in the PBA. The best example is Quinahan. He was an undersized center up to when Yeng got him. But gradually he developed his shooting and handles to be able to play SF at times.
        Kawhi was NBA finals MVP at 22. He is a really bad example.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
          26-28 is the start of a player's prime, and he approaches his peak, where he becomes more useful.

So really, it's up to the team to develop him to make an impact not just with the mother club, but in FIBA as well.
          There is a difference from when a players prime is to when a player first shows signs of being great/FIBA worthy. Especially in the NBA, by 24 you'll see signs of greatness like being an all star or being able to carry a team. There are players that started being great at like 26, but those are rare. In fact, in recent memory, I can only think of Kyle Lowry.

Comment

• I feel bad for these kids. They didn't play that great this tournament, but they weren't given much of a chance by SBP's incompetence. I fear that they might be stuck here, and stagnate.

I may be overreacting, but that's what I fear.

Comment

I feel bad for these kids. They didn't play that great this tournament, but they weren't given much of a chance by SBP's incompetence. I fear that they might be stuck here, and stagnate.

I may be overreacting, but that's what I fear.
              Yup so true. No shot of succeeding considering what couldve been done. (Pay for Kai for example)

Comment

• And this guy says give Chot another chance: https://twitter.com/ChrisDTan/status...azT8HwRmw&s=19

Sorry for the language, BUT FUCKING HELL, HE'S HAD HOW MANY ALREADY? He's still not a good defensive coach. His lack of defense led to blowouts by SoKor, Lebanon, and Japan.

Comment

And this guy says give Chot another chance: https://twitter.com/ChrisDTan/status...azT8HwRmw&s=19

Sorry for the language, BUT FUCKING HELL, HE'S HAD HOW MANY ALREADY? He's still not a good defensive coach. His lack of defense led to blowouts by SoKor, Lebanon, and Japan.
                  Chot can stay but if he fails in 2023, I want everyone in SBP to resign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                    Chot can stay but if he fails in 2023, I want everyone in SBP to resign.
                    another coup should be in place again the same way SBP coup BAP. i don't care if FIBA suspends us because we need to overthrow these people in power (MVP, Panlilio, Vargas, RG, Josh and Chot)
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                      another coup should be in place again the same way SBP coup BAP. i don't care if FIBA suspends us because we need to overthrow these people in power (MVP, Panlilio, Vargas, RG, Josh and Chot)
                      Im ok with a peaceful transition to SMC. Same problems but with a bigger budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                        Im ok with a peaceful transition to SMC. Same problems but with a bigger budget.
                        but questionable commitment with the national team. Danding (RIP) is no longer with us. it is Al Chua that is running the show now.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• I hope the players take any overseas offers they could.

Comment

but questionable commitment with the national team. Danding (RIP) is no longer with us. it is Al Chua that is running the show now.
                            And would they take a tested coach, or would they be fine with a green coach, but shows promise?

Foreign coaches, under Eala, possible. But under Boss...

Comment

I think with SMC you are at least you get a real basketball guy and a proven williness to spend. Not much will change though other than better availability/NPs. Probably just Gilas prospects to UST/Letran. Then again I dont see anyone that wants the change I want. (Smooth/quick movement up and down a pyramid, focus on developing youth players with a focus on the NBA).

Comment

And would they take a tested coach, or would they be fine with a green coach, but shows promise?

Foreign coaches, under Eala, possible. But under Boss...
                                Well, he doesn't like foreign coaches. They are "tactically immature", remember?
                                Originally posted by gideon
                                Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information