X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    That's the key words right there bro. Gilas 2 had around 4 & 1/2 months of

I want to put it this way, this current cadet team (even with Kai Sotto & AJ Edu in tow) is inferior compared to a PBA-select RP team simply becoz kulang pa yung mga cadets sa experience & maturity. But in 2 or 3 years time, the table would be reversed.
    By 2023 it will be reversed, the cadets currently will be the best talented players and the best hugot is limited to Clarkson, the PBA players who were pros in 2020 are simply not good enough for Hugot.
    Of course cadets who eventually join pros like in 2022 or 23 can be included, kasi they know the system na

Comment

Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
      By 2023 it will be reversed, the cadets currently will be the best talented players and the best hugot is limited to Clarkson, the PBA players who were pros in 2020 are simply not good enough for Hugot.
      Of course cadets who eventually join pros like in 2022 or 23 can be included, kasi they know the system na
      nah...it is not about the best talent but being d best team in terms of the right mix of talent, cohesion, and fiba experience.

Comment

Im not sure this is the correct move. Like limiting yourself to cadets this early but I think the program should be judged by 2023 results so I think we should allow Tab and crew to do what they want.

Comment

That's the key words right there bro. Gilas 2 had around 4 & 1/2 months of preparation/training bridging from 2012 & 2013. While Gilas-1 had the better & longer preparation (say around 2 & 1/2 years from 2009 to 2011), in terms of composition, Gilas-2 is better as it was composed of the best & the more matured players of the country.

I want to put it this way, this current cadet team (even with Kai Sotto & AJ Edu in tow) is inferior compared to a PBA-select RP team simply becoz kulang pa yung mga cadets sa experience & maturity. But in 2 or 3 years time, the table would be reversed.
          I also think the situation will be reversed by 2023. Hopefully, the cadets who eventually go pro will play outside the PBA so they can improve further and there's less chance that their availability for Gilas will be compromised.

As for applying the hugot system to PBA players who are former cadets, pwede naman din. Question is, will some teams with former cadets be willing to sacrifice their players (and probably championship aspirations) for the good of the national team? Hopefully, it doesn't get to this point, meaning that the cadets outside the PBA will be better for Gilas than any PBA pros.

Comment

Originally posted by IPC View Post
            I also think the situation will be reversed by 2023. Hopefully, the cadets who eventually go pro will play outside the PBA so they can improve further and there's less chance that their availability for Gilas will be compromised.

As for applying the hugot system to PBA players who are former cadets, pwede naman din. Question is, will some teams with former cadets be willing to sacrifice their players (and probably championship aspirations) for the good of the national team? Hopefully, it doesn't get to this point, meaning that the cadets outside the PBA will be better for Gilas than any PBA pros.
            I think playing pro abroad means a higher chance for compromised Gilas eligibility. Thirdy is a good example. Ideally though our top prospects move on to greener pastures than the PBA, mostly for development and not for Gilas eligibility.

Comment

The talent that needs to be signed to this kind of contract is top-tier talent, like Juan GDL, Baltazar, Dwight. This way, the PBA will be forced to take the leftovers as top picks. Sure, it may result in weak draft classes, but anything to ensure cooperation with the national team. If your teams can't lend, we'll have to deprive you of future talent as well.

This would also forced the PBA to be more flexible if they want this top tier talents,this will show the PBA that they're not the only show in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                I think playing pro abroad means a higher chance for compromised Gilas eligibility. Thirdy is a good example. Ideally though our top prospects move on to greener pastures than the PBA, mostly for development and not for Gilas eligibility.
                Development, yeah, I also want our potential best players to play abroad mainly for development purposes.

I get your concern that some players might only end up like Thirdy, unavailable for windows. However, this is for FIBA windows. I dunno if the availability for the main FIBA tournaments is compromised since their offseasons are in line with the FIBA tournament.

Comment

If they're abroad they will be more available than in the PBA. Remember, most international leagues are FIBA friendly naman.

Comment

Development, yeah, I also want our potential best players to play abroad mainly for development purposes.

I get your concern that some players might only end up like Thirdy, unavailable for windows. However, this is for FIBA windows. I dunno if the availability for the main FIBA tournaments is compromised since their offseasons are in line with the FIBA tournament.
                    You're very much spot on in the last part bro.

Let's put it this way, coach Tab has this policy which demands every player to train/practice with Gilas for a considerable period. This demand is necessary becoz the cadet pool is in its infancy, hence everybody needs to spend a considerable time in training to develop chemistry/cohesion as well us to asimilate with the system. But as these players establish chemistry & familiarity with the system through continuous training, I think a time will come when coach Tab & the entire Gilas coaching staff would be ok with a player joining the team in training for sa just 10 days prior to a certain window. BTW, almost all (if not all) Asian pro leagues takes a break for about 10 days prior to a FIBA window to also give way for the training/ of their respective Nationa teams.

For instance in the case of Kai Sotto, coach Tab might rather not have Kai suit up for Gilas in the 3rd window if Kai would come to Calamba some 10 days before the 3rd window. But things would be different some 2 or 3 years from now as Kai gets to train with the Gilas pool more & more. For instance in a certain window of the 2025 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers, coach Tab or the Gilas coaching staff would be ok with Kai joining the team training 12 days prior to such window.
                    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 05-03-2021, 11:15 AM.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by allmight View Post
                      If they're abroad they will be more available than in the PBA. Remember, most international leagues are FIBA friendly naman.
                      It is during the months of July, August & September when the main FIBA tournaments are held. That's the period when all pro leagues, except the PBA, are in the off season.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

It is during the months of July, August & September when the main FIBA tournaments are held. That's the period when all pro leagues, except the PBA, are in the off season.
                        problem would be the qualifying windows, in fairness to the PBA at least they pause the league during the window tournaments, do other leagues do this as well? (aside for the ASEAN basketball league do other asian and oceania leagues halt their season to accomodate the windows? same with europe?

definitely not the nba as USAB rely on the gleague for players during the windows, i remember prior the world cup, van gundy coached a team of gleaguers

Comment

Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                          problem would be the qualifying windows, in fairness to the PBA at least they pause the league during the window tournaments, do other leagues do this as well? (aside for the ASEAN basketball league do other asian and oceania leagues halt their season to accomodate the windows? same with europe?

definitely not the nba as USAB rely on the gleague for players during the windows, i remember prior the world cup, van gundy coached a team of gleaguers
                          afaik b-league, cba, KBL and NBL pause their ongoing season to accommodate the fiba window..
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoJ View Post

From what I know, Japan's B-league, Korea's KBL, China's CBA, as well as Iran's pro league take a brief break during the windows of FIBA World Cup qualifiers & FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers. I think the most pro leagues in Asia take a break during these windows to give way to their respective national teams' training & participation.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                              afaik b-league, cba, KBL and NBL pause their ongoing season to accommodate the fiba window..
                              yun nga lang, the PBA would only give a week or 10 days break for the window, which is not enough, especially if there is no strong program in place

China, Aus and NZ can afford small breaks because of their talent pool while Korea's system is well in place. I just hope after 2023 Tab's system will continue as we have the knack to reset everything (always back to zero)

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                                That Korea, Japan, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon, etc. always are able to field their elite players from their respective pro leagues for these windows says it all. China sometimes fields some cadet players but that is for the purposes of development for these young players.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information