Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1212

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. V

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Again the lack of reps playing as a point guard will be a draw back for Perez playing the point for Gilas. As I've pointed out, Perez has hardly played as a point guard for both Terrafirma & San Miguel, and I think he hardly played as such during college. Besides, Perez is already 27 yrs old, so medyo late na talaga.

As what IPC had said in his recent post, implying that Deve Ildefonso has the better potential being converted into a PG becoz he's only 21.
    Wow I did not know that Dave was that young. I hope his transition along with Dwight will be successful but as always if it does not work they can always be a swingman.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Again the lack of reps playing as a point guard will be a draw back for Perez playing the point for Gilas. As I've pointed out, Perez has hardly played as a point guard for both Terrafirma & San Miguel, and I think he hardly played as such during college. Besides, Perez is already 27 yrs old, so medyo late na talaga.

As what IPC had said in his recent post, implying that Deve Ildefonso has the better potential being converted into a PG becoz he's only 21.
    i have said a hundred times that dave has d best shot to be converted as our big pg, over ramos and ravena.

perez does not need "to play pg" in d pba to be an effective pg with gilas. pg is about ballhandling and creating, two skills he is good at as he is already a playmaking wing. just don't expect him to be a tenorio, more like a romeo type of pg.

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    I hope we really improve and fast. If we can't beat a young Tunisa team in 2022. Will SBP do what Rajko experience and hasty ask for PBA reinforcements?
    The PBA will have all the leverage. The SBP need to stick with the plan and succeed. We need to medal so that the SBP will have the leverage to request the PBA for more preparation time leading to big tournaments.

Agree with this. People forget that dave played with tamayo and kai sotto for the u19 tournament and he was our best perimeter player. He's got decent handles. His not that shifty but i think it works in his favor. He just needs to develop his midrange and floater because he tends to either jackup the 3 or go all the way. He also showed that he has good vision. He just needs some reps at the PG or even combo guard spot.

Does Dave have the PG mentality of a Jhonny A or Calma. The one that will ochestrate the offense. Like looking for mismatch and calling the right plays. Knowing shot clock situation qnd calling out the plays of the defense. Does Dave have does?

Of course not. That's why i said he needs reps. He's still young it can be developed. Frankly, neither does dwight. Its not a bad idea to also train dave.

Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    Parang Gilas 1 din lang. The difference is we still have kai and the other US based as reinforcements. In the end, the PBA players will still need to reinforce this team. Gabe > Ramos
    If we need the PBA for main tournaments, we will need the players to train for at least a month or two. Will the PBA be able to give that time instead of the 10 days before the WC?

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    If we need the PBA for main tournaments, we will need the players to train for at least a month or two. Will the PBA be able to give that time instead of the 10 days before the WC?
    for 2023, that's possible because we are d host. siempre gusto nila sumama sa branding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by japo18 View Post
    Of course not. That's why i said he needs reps. He's still young it can be developed. Frankly, neither does dwight. Its not a bad idea to also train dave.
    Does are skilled hard to master and you need a PG BB IQ. I dont know if 2 years is enough for them to get to certain level against world elite guards.

With how complex the plays of CTB, PBA players need a year to familiarized and build chemistry. If not, a lot of TO in their games.

Does are skilled hard to master and you need a PG BB IQ. I dont know if 2 years is enough for them to get to certain level against world elite guards.
    Just a bit confused, did you mean “those” instead of “does”? Or are you referring to something else?
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Does Dave have the PG mentality of a Jhonny A or Calma. The one that will ochestrate the offense. Like looking for mismatch and calling the right plays. Knowing shot clock situation qnd calling out the plays of the defense. Does Dave have does?
    At this point, I doubt that very much. In the future, maybe Dave can develop such mentality.

I'm thinking of the PBA off-season as the time that PBA reinforcements can possibly train with Gilas (I mean, medyo mahaba-habang training). So that means during the January to February period.

Because we have players who are not exclusively a PG, or a shooter , or a SF
    we essentially may have to settle with combo players.. (who can play multipe positions, especially so we're not undersize defensivly) Example if you put a Dave or Thridy beside a Heading and Dwight , the lack of shooting of Dave and Dwight can be masked. also because heading and dwight are not natural pure PG but have decent vision and ball handling , the PG role can be handled by commitee with the 3 players on the court (e.g , Dwight, Heading, Dave) , that's actually more dangerous than having just 1 player quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Because we have players who are not exclusively a PG, or a shooter , or a SF
    we essentially may have to settle with combo players.. (who can play multipe positions, especially so we're not undersize defensivly) Example if you put a Dave or Thridy beside a Heading and Dwight , the lack of shooting of Dave and Dwight can be masked. also because heading and dwight are not natural pure PG but have decent vision and ball handling , the PG role can be handled by commitee with the 3 players on the court (e.g , Dwight, Heading, Dave) , that's actually more dangerous than having just 1 player quarterback
    If you just bringing down the ball that's ok but we need expertise in pg role. A PG calling out right plays, looking out for shot clock, looking for mismatch. A coach in the court.

If you just bringing down the ball that's ok but we need expertise in pg role. A PG calling out right plays, looking out for shot clock, looking for mismatch. A coach in the court.
    Very much correct bro. That's what I'm implying. Hindi porke magaling kang mag dribble eh pwede ka na mag point guard, specially in the high level game like FIBA. Terrence Romeo is a dribbling wizard, perhaps among the best (if not the best) in Phi basketball right now. But would we want Romeo to be our point guard in Gilas if for instance he is about 2 inches taller? Being a competent point guard takes more than just a good ball handler & good passer. Its mainly about being a good decision maker, putting order to the team in times of adversities & making his teammates look & feel good.

Those things are developed thru years of playing such role, hence getting the reps is important. Hindi yung makakita tayo ng shooting guard who handles the ball very well & is a good passer, eh pwede na nating sabihing "Pweding maging point guard yan".

Prior to the King Abdullah Cup, didn't Dwight Ramos look fit playing as point guard? Now what?
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Good thing that Dave I. is slowly departing from the go-to-guy/volume shooter mentality or instinct that he had developed while playing for the NU Bulldogs. At least that's among the positives we've seen with the team in the recent King Abdullah Cup. Good to see he's passing the ball more & is good at locating open teammates or teammates who are in the better position to score. I would be satisfied seeing Dave transition into a playmaking wingman in the same mold as a Matt Wright or a Rayray Parks.

BTW, I think another good Gilas prospect at the 2-guard spot is Cholo Anonuevo who is another young player (21 yrs old rin yata) like Dave I. While I see Dave as the better offensive player at this point, Cholo may even be more serviceable for Gilas than Dave in 3 to 4 years time. Cholo is more athletic than Dave & I heard he's being trained as a point guard or combo guard. Because Cholo would be playing college ball in the US, I expect his skills, in particular his ball handling & outside shooting, to get polished well (BTW, I don't give a damn how good a dunker Cholo would become. So much for those streetball mentality). Even if he ends up playing as a 2-guard, the training he is getting in the US playing some point guard or combo guard role would make him a good passing wingman or a playmaking wingman at that.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

As much as an upgrade in the PG slot looks like a necessity, equally essential is for our players to be capable playmakers regardless of position. It requires good court vision and good passing skills—things that naturally improve through experience. Of course one’s efficiency as a playmaker exponentially improves when you are familiar with your teammates and you know the system very well. Notice how the Koreans love lead passes. They simply know where their players would/should be.

In this batch batch, I think the players with innate atypical (non-PG) playmaking potential are Kai, Balti, Tamayo,Ferdinand, Dwight and Sean Dave. Wouldn’t include Heading because he’s already a veteran and should by now have a keen sense of court awareness and polished passing skill. To me, these are the guys that should be given the additional responsibility of playmaking, which Tab seems to be doing (quite obviously in the case of Dwight and Ferdinand).
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

As important as playmaking is, shot creating should also be emphasized imo. Overpassing that leads to wasted posessions or turnovers have been a huge headache to watch in Gilas teams that doesn't have a Terrence Romeo, Jayson Castro or Jordan Clarkson or when they're on the bench. Every posession that ends up looking like a game of hot potato that leads to nowhere or worse leads to turnovers really highlights how amateur this team is but it's been a problem with pba-select teams too against international opponents espescially with the absence of Romeo and Castro. This is far more important now that every player has probably been scouted already as well as the teams go-to plays, our opponents will have a far easier time telegraphing our plays moving forward as well as our players tendencies.

Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast