Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will still have to be a pool of the available players in the best condition.

Sotto 7'2. Kouame 6'11
    Aguilar 6'9 Edu 6'10
    Tamayo 6'7 Malonzo 6'7
    Clarkson 6'5. Ramos 6'4
    Thompson 6'1 Abando 6'2

Parks 6'4. Paras 6'6
    Fajardo 6'10. Brownlee 6'5
    Philips 6'8. Baltazar 6'8
    Perez 6'1 Heading 6'1

Any very fit and available 12 from these guys would be very competitive in 2023. Actually this is the first time ever where a pool of the top 17-20 pinoy ballers are international caliber.

If kouame is not available, fajardo is fine.
    If edu cannot make it, philips and baltazar are reasonable replacements.
    If clarkson is not in by showtime, brownlee or paras has the entertainment value.
    If thompson or abando are indisposed, perez, parks and heading will still deliver.

Note that almost all of these ballers are two-way players. They should be truly competitive against the likes of sk, china, japan and nz if they work out for a minimum of 8 weeks, and with fiba-ready coaches.
    Last edited by ccharmed; 11-28-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmelo7 View Post
      I've given up on Wright while for Heading its unlikely that the PBA will ever
      forget what he did. Parks as shown on the game against Jordan can carry the offensive load on stretches when everyone seems to be adjusting still. While for Malonzo, as long as he stays healthy is a shoo-in because he's the kind of athlete we need esp after Gabe's retirement. Navarro has his moments but I think Malonzo is the better athlete and talent overall. I saw a lineup this window that have Kouame,Malonzo,Parks and Perez and it all made sense defensively. Now imagine replacing Parks with Wright and Navarro for Malonzo, it doesnt have the same potential defensively
      I've noticed that Parks in pro leagues (PBA and Bleague) is a shot creator. Everybody get out of the way and he'll produce. But in the FIBA setting, he adjusts his game and makes way for his other talented teammates and becomes a VERY reliable spot up shooter with a slashing threat if you contest too close and he's a capable defender as well. Bobby Ray must be a shoo-in. Consistent, reliable, and has the potential to be the Robin to JC's batman.

Meanwhile Jamie Malonzo, while I believe he should be a shoo-in, he should start working on his jumpshot as early as now. It's not his shot selection, I believe he has a very high basketball IQ, pair that with his otherworldly athleticism, it's more of the small details in the art of shooting. When to take a shot, how to take a shot, and how to make them on a consistent basis. PBA teams doesn't fear Jamie shooting an open three, they'd rather have him shoot that, and pretty soon this will get picked up by FIBA teams and could cost us close games down the line. Remember how games of Gilas in WC 2014 were decided by 2 baskets on average? That's how important it is to have everyone on the lineup possess deadly and accurate shooting ability.

I think Will Navarro shouldnt be on the FIBA 2023 lineup YET... although his time to shine will come for sure. Pahinog muna sa PBA and other leagues once his contract with Northport ends. He's a role player with superstar potential mala Kerby Raymundo but wayyyy better. He's gonna eat in the BLeague and can even turn some heads of Euroleague teams if he develops his game further, that's how high his ceiling is. BUT definitely don't stay in the PBA. Yes his legacy (locally) may be affected if he leaves but then it's pragmatic to use your skills to earn as much money as you could while you're young.
      Manifesting: Philippines top 5 in the FIBA World Rankings

Comment

• Originally posted by ccharmed View Post
        It will still have to be a pool of the available players in the best condition.

Sotto 7'2. Kouame 6'11
        Aguilar 6'9 Edu 6'10
        Tamayo 6'7 Malonzo 6'7
        Clarkson 6'5. Ramos 6'4
        Thompson 6'1 Abando 6'2

Parks 6'4. Paras 6'6
        Fajardo 6'10. Brownlee 6'5
        Philips 6'8. Baltazar 6'8
        Perez 6'1 Heading 6'1

Any very fit and available 12 from these guys would be very competitive in 2023. Actually this is the first time ever where a pool of the top 17-20 pinoy ballers are international caliber.

If kouame is not available, fajardo is fine.
        If edu cannot make it, philips and baltazar are reasonable replacements.
        If clarkson is not in by showtime, brownlee or paras has the entertainment value.
        If thompson or abando are indisposed, perez, parks and heading will still deliver.

Note that almost all of these ballers are two-way players. They should be truly competitive against the likes of sk, china, japan and nz if they work out for a minimum of 8 weeks, and with fiba-ready coaches.
        What if Jalen Green and Mikey Williams gets the green light all of the sudden? FIBA would definitely want to sell out tickets and viewership through the roof. I have a gut feeling they would allow these players eventually thinking about it from a business perspective. It's not delusional, it actually makes sense. IF THIS DOES HAPPEN, Jalen Green being our starting point guard, while Mikey Williams is our shooting guard off the bench.... it's gonna be a tough toss up between Scottie Thompson and CJ Perez in the final lineup. I feel like Scottie Thompson is the heart of the team and an embodiment of what Philippine basketball is, while CJ Perez is just a pure hooper who would want to avenge Gilas' performance in the last World Cup. You can't go wrong with either of the two though. Both are pesky defenders, with excellent scoring ability and makes the right play every single time.

Comment

The only players that can (or must) be replaced are Erram,Pogoy, Kquiam and Oftana. And a swap of AK to
          JC for the NP. so Edu & JF for Poy & KQuiam, for Pogoy and Oftana?
          You're right bro. Oftana Erram KQ and Pogoy are superior players in the PBA but internationally they are just mediocre to put it simply. I had high hopes for Oftana at first but he doesn't have that killer instinct. I feel like his game plateaued with NLEX and declined with less touches wearing a TNT uniform. He's needs to get his confidence back soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
            My version is this:

Poy - June Mar/AJ
            Quiambao - Tamayo
            Pogoy - PG (Bolick/Kiefer/RJ)
            Oftana - Navarro
            So far untouchables in Gilas are:

JC
            Kai
            Saint Dwight
            Jamie
            AJ Edu
            Ray Parks Jr.
            Junemar
            Scottie or CJ Perez (or both)

The remaining four slots.... coaches must choose between height or additional firepower off the bench. Imagine Gilas fielding in a second unit and a third unit but performance does not dramatically decline, we just keep on pouncing on for 40 minutes. that's how we can go far in this tournament.

Comment

I've given up on Wright while for Heading its unlikely that the PBA will ever
              forget what he did. Parks as shown on the game against Jordan can carry the offensive load on stretches when everyone seems to be adjusting still. While for Malonzo, as long as he stays healthy is a shoo-in because he's the kind of athlete we need esp after Gabe's retirement. Navarro has his moments but I think Malonzo is the better athlete and talent overall. I saw a lineup this window that have Kouame,Malonzo,Parks and Perez and it all made sense defensively. Now imagine replacing Parks with Wright and Navarro for Malonzo, it doesnt have the same potential defensively
              Matthew Wright's 3-pt shooting is nowhere to be found in the FIBA game. He is actually one of among the disappointments in Gilas. I just couldn't understand that pag nasa FIBA game environment na sya, nawawala na yung shooting nya.

I think & I'm hopeful that Heading will be part of the 2023 Worl Cup pool. I have much more confident in Heading's shooting in the FIBA game than Wright.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                Matthew Wright's 3-pt shooting is nowhere to be found in the FIBA game. He is actually one of among the disappointments in Gilas. I just couldn't understand that pag nasa FIBA game environment na sya, nawawala na yung shooting nya.

I think & I'm hopeful that Heading will be part of the 2023 Worl Cup pool. I have much more confident in Heading's shooting in the FIBA game than Wright.
                Maybe just like Pogoy he needs more time to be accustomed with FIBA after a long absents. He was ok with 2018 Qualifiers. Like Pogoy that for me the last Qualifiers was the first time for a long time he was going to the game without injuries or coming from a grueling playoff run. Thats why he was decent.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                  Malonzo ain't the guy I would replace with Navarro. For me, it's between Will and Oftana. Will's our best wing defender, e. Will's more of a stay on your man guy, and Malonzo is a help defender. They can complement each other on defense, e.

I'm with carmelo7 on Wright. He ain't exactly a stellar defender, and he's underperformed a bit in FIBA. He's a good facilitator and shot creator (which suits him better than being just a shooter), but we have a facilitator in Iskati, and shot creators in Dwight, Parks, and Perez.
                  Although Malonzo has yet to showcase his offensive game with Gilas, I'm confident he will get his offensive game going in FIBA in the 6th window. Naka 4 games pa lang naman sa FIBA si Malonzo so he's still adjusting. But I think Malonzo has exhibited decent defense & hustle with Gilas in those 4 games..

I think the same could also be said about Oftana. Oftana is in the adjustment period as far as FIBA game is concerned so he needs to play more FIBA games to get his offensive bearings going.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by paliganibossalfrancis View Post
                    I've noticed that Parks in pro leagues (PBA and Bleague) is a shot creator. Everybody get out of the way and he'll produce. But in the FIBA setting, he adjusts his game and makes way for his other talented teammates and becomes a VERY reliable spot up shooter with a slashing threat if you contest too close and he's a capable defender as well. Bobby Ray must be a shoo-in. Consistent, reliable, and has the potential to be the Robin to JC's batman.

Meanwhile Jamie Malonzo, while I believe he should be a shoo-in, he should start working on his jumpshot as early as now. It's not his shot selection, I believe he has a very high basketball IQ, pair that with his otherworldly athleticism, it's more of the small details in the art of shooting. When to take a shot, how to take a shot, and how to make them on a consistent basis. PBA teams doesn't fear Jamie shooting an open three, they'd rather have him shoot that, and pretty soon this will get picked up by FIBA teams and could cost us close games down the line. Remember how games of Gilas in WC 2014 were decided by 2 baskets on average? That's how important it is to have everyone on the lineup possess deadly and accurate shooting ability.

I think Will Navarro shouldnt be on the FIBA 2023 lineup YET... although his time to shine will come for sure. Pahinog muna sa PBA and other leagues once his contract with Northport ends. He's a role player with superstar potential mala Kerby Raymundo but wayyyy better. He's gonna eat in the BLeague and can even turn some heads of Euroleague teams if he develops his game further, that's how high his ceiling is. BUT definitely don't stay in the PBA. Yes his legacy (locally) may be affected if he leaves but then it's pragmatic to use your skills to earn as much money as you could while you're young.
                    That is actually what I like about Rayray Parks, he is really a scorer & a shot creator playing for his mother team, but whenever he plays for a talent laden team like Gilas, he is more than willing to take a backseat in scoring & would just be content being a facilitator & spot up shooter. The thing about Parks is that he is capable of scoring even in high level competition.

Compared to a Gabe Norwood who was passive in scoring, Parks can be assertive in offense when his team needs him to be.
                    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 11-29-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zairex View Post
                      Maybe just like Pogoy he needs more time to be accustomed with FIBA after a long absents. He was ok with 2018 Qualifiers. Like Pogoy that for me the last Qualifiers was the first time for a long time he was going to the game without injuries or coming from a grueling playoff run. Thats why he was decent.
                      The thing is, Wright has already played a good No. of FIBA & international competitions/games for the last 6 years or so. He already has enough reps for the FIBA game atmosphere. Dapat naka adjust na sya.

Comment

• Originally posted by paliganibossalfrancis View Post
                        So far untouchables in Gilas are:

JC
                        Kai
                        Saint Dwight
                        Jamie
                        AJ Edu
                        Ray Parks Jr.
                        Junemar
                        Scottie or CJ Perez (or both)

The remaining four slots.... coaches must choose between height or additional firepower off the bench. Imagine Gilas fielding in a second unit and a third unit but performance does not dramatically decline, we just keep on pouncing on for 40 minutes. that's how we can go far in this tournament.
                        I don't think Junemar is that untouchable. I see him as too slow & unathletic to make any impact in the world stage. I see Japeth as even more serviceable than Junemar.

Comment

The thing is, Wright has already played a good No. of FIBA & international competitions/games for the last 6 years or so. He already has enough reps for the FIBA game atmosphere. Dapat naka adjust na sya.
                          I guess if there is a big interval between games its hard for Wright to play FIBA games. But its really a waste not seeing his talent shine more on international

Comment

Wright is a lot better as a shot creator than a shooter, so maybe that is the reason why he is not effective with Gilas since he is being used as a shooter than a creator.

Comment

• Can't believe some people have Tuffin over Parks in these sub lmao. Parks is a lock in WC. I guess people don't really watch games and go over social media and are casuals LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                                Can't believe some people have Tuffin over Parks in these sub lmao. Parks is a lock in WC. I guess people don't really watch games and go over social media and are casuals LOL
                                you beat me to it hahaha pero the experience kase of Tuffin as a Role Player (unlike Parks who needs to adjust from being the Man to a backup) on a tough league speaks volume to his potential and he can play the 1-2-3 positions if necessary much like a Dwight Ramos. And he's younger too than Parks, un iba kase nainis lng sa superstar aura ni BRP Jr

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information