Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1266

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. V

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    If we win with defense, might as well make it an identity. Not just toughness and physicality, but also good rotations. I hope we can harness our kids' hustle so that we could build an excellent defensive team.

If SoKor's identity is shooting and ball movement, I think our identity should be a defensive team. Our best successes come when we are a good defensive team, exemplified by 2013-2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Very much agree. The China team in the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship was anchored on defense. That was the best defensive team I've seen so far in Asian basketball. Even during stretches that the Chinese were struggling in offense vs. Iran (semis) & Gilas (finals), parang confident sila that they won't lose the momentum becoz their defense can hold on.
    That final was a defensive game, but moreso for China, apatr from the dodgy officiating. We struggled on offense, yes, but to our credit, we made them struggle as well.

That Gilas team was also good defensively, despite us not fielding our best players. I hope Tab brings that defensive identity back (which he is), and that he turns Gilas into a defensive powerhouse in Asia.

That final was a defensive game, but moreso for China, apatr from the dodgy officiating. We struggled on offense, yes, but to our credit, we made them struggle as well.

That Gilas team was also good defensively, despite us not fielding our best players. I hope Tab brings that defensive identity back (which he is), and that he turns Gilas into a defensive powerhouse in Asia.
    I think China surprised Iran in the semis with the former's tenacious & physical defense. Watching that semis game, aware na tayo on how China will play us in the finals except for us that we didn't expect that China would resort to some cheap shots even before the start of the finals game.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Yep, when Asian teams hear the word Gilas. I want them all to think about defense, toughness and unselfishness. I want us to have a reputation where teams would hate to play us in the future. Hopefully, we will be on our way to have that reputation and class.

If our goal is to be a respectable world team (top 16), we must have this identity. For now, the program is in the right direction. If they don't fuck it up, this could be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    cheap shots even before the start of the finals game.
    Cheap shots? Okay, Bad refereeing? Okay, fine lets play it that way. However, when the game against Japan was delayed, which resulted in less rest, the bus not being charged (delay otw to the venue), changing the net before warm up, etc. These other factors were too low as a host. Plus, you add in the PBA politics at that time, we were not meant to win that game against China no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Cheap shots? Okay, Bad refereeing? Okay, fine lets play it that way. However, when the game against Japan was delayed, which resulted in less rest, the bus not being charged (delay otw to the venue), changing the net before warm up, etc. These other factors were too low as a host. Plus, you add in the PBA politics at that time, we were not meant to win that game against China no matter what.
    That is why I believe that team overachieved. Prior to the tournament, I was thinking happy na ako for a 4th place or perhaps a bronze medal finish.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    wright loses his balls against superior opponents.
    He has consistently underperformed in international competition. If he ever gets called up, I hope he sheds the choking part.

No team that had Blatche, Castro and Gabe Norwood has no shot at podium especially on how winnable that group we belong into. Especially with how well Terrnce was playing back then with all the supporting guys from.Calvin rdo and Ping meshing in.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Sa kaso ni Matthew high usage player lang talaga the least liking of our nt coaches at least for chot he can still spread the floor.. For Yeng make room for Kiefer, Baroks and Paul Lee and rise of Bolick/CJ
    Last edited by reamily; 09-10-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    hayyy naku, Calvin Oftana. May offer ka na, tinanggihan mo pa
    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    What offer, B league din? Which team? Good thing he is being used by Coach Yeng as a secondary ballhandler and primary defender of the opposing scoring guards. He took on Wright last timeout and Williams today. Williams scored 9pts off him but it was a case of good defense, better offense. Oftana even blocked him in a full iso situation.

He still plays like a rookie that he is, though. Wala pang gulang. Poor court awareness, poor decision making, shaky handles. But his perimeter defense and playmaking are already above average for a wing. Once he corrects his weaknesses, he’d be a solid PBA wing.
    Hopefully he can play for Gilas again. He did well the last time he got called up. Showed some promise as a wing.

Calvin Oftana is one tall dude for a 3, if we, sbp and Tab can be patient for him he can be a very good 2-3-4 for Gilas but having Dweet, Heading, Balty, Carl and Navarro in hierarchy of his position and the blatant farming done by tnt with nlex, I think no choice si Calvin to follow the orders from above.

With teh way B league is threatening the PBA SBP plans for Gilas, I see PBA fully cooperating in November and Feb window if matuloy..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Calvin Oftana is one tall dude for a 3, if we, sbp and Tab can be patient for him he can be a very good 2-3-4 for Gilas but having Dweet, Heading, Balty, Carl and Navarro in hierarchy of his position and the blatant farming done by tnt with nlex, I think no choice si Calvin to follow the orders from above.

With teh way B league is threatening the PBA SBP plans for Gilas, I see PBA fully cooperating in November and Feb window if matuloy..
    Actually, we don't have that big of a problem when it comes to PBA cooperation in FIBA windows. Well-supported nga, e. Main tournament nagkakandaletse-letse.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post

He even plays the 2 these days. In today’s game there was a stretch when he was playing alongside Alas and covering Mikey Williams. Trollano guarded Pogoy. When he was crossmatched vs Pogoy, Pogoy had to alter his shot or else it would have been blocked. So yeah, at 6’ 5” his length really bothers opposing guards.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Actually, we don't have that big of a problem when it comes to PBA cooperation in FIBA windows. Well-supported nga, e. Main tournament nagkakandaletse-letse.
    Frontload yan sea games(if will push through whic I doubt given..) the Asian games and Asia Cup all happening in 2022 aside from 3rd window, okay lets say the japan guys played the asian cup and asian games (which thirdy didnt done tthis offseason given the length of B league season)..

He has consistently underperformed in international competition. If he ever gets called up, I hope he sheds the choking part.
    Wright is an emotional type player,when he's fired up,he's good but once he got intimidated,he starts missing widely.No different from a Norwood,that,fans expect him to at least score a minimum of 10 points per game,given the minutes he plays in the game but in reality he just play defense,nothing more he just vanish when offense comes calling.

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/w...n-gilas/219076

Ultimately the overseas pros will play for Gilas for 3 months June to August US summer , FIBA period. . Hopefully they've gained enough familiarity, and with 2 summers , total of 6 months Hopefully that is enough to be ready for 2023 WC

The gilas draftees (nieto bros, heading, suerte, tungcab, navarro, bulanadi, go, rangel) will be the mainstays while it’s next man up for the others. Time for the likes of dave ildefonso, jason credo, raven cortez, kevin quiambao, abando, etc to step up and take the mantle. SBP can still make a big pool from the remaining non-pros.

Sino2 pa ba nasa collegiate ranks na pwede sa pool, bukod sa mga nabanggit na sa taas^^?

Tamayo
    Belangel
    Abarrientos
    LJ Gonzales
    Cholo Anonuevo
    Cansino
    Geo Chiu
    Eusebio*
    Kyle Ong
    Nonoy
    Nelle
    Spencer
    Policarpio
    Torculas
    Lazaro

Any big names I missed?

To me since we're already qualified for the WC, I would still use the overseas pros in the windows despite having little preparation for the window games. Our goal is still 2023. So really no point on developing chemistry with too many players who have zero chance of making the 2023 team.
    At least 7 players in the windows should be players who are locks for 2023
    Ideally Kiefer , Thirdy, Dwight, Tamayo , Baltazar, Kai and Kouame should play in all the windows if available
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 09-11-2021 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    To me since we're already qualified for the WC, I would still use the overseas pros in the windows despite having little preparation for the window games. Our goal is still 2023. So really no point on developing chemistry with too many players who have zero chance of making the 2023 team. At least 7 players in the windows should be players who are locks for 2023

What really matters are only two, Fiba Asia cup and WC2023. Qualifiers can be use for practice and exposure to other Gilas talents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Sino2 pa ba nasa collegiate ranks na pwede sa pool, bukod sa mga nabanggit na sa taas^^?

Tamayo
    Belangel
    Abarrientos
    LJ Gonzales
    Cholo Anonuevo
    Cansino
    Geo Chiu
    Eusebio*
    Kyle Ong
    Nonoy
    Nelle
    Spencer
    Policarpio
    Torculas
    Lazaro

Any big names I missed?
    Need another player to play behind AK while Kai is not around,time to include Panggalang another 6'11-7'0 guy,I know everyone thinks he's behind the other big man,but even as a practice player he can help and improve his skills at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    To me since we're already qualified for the WC, I would still use the overseas pros in the windows despite having little preparation for the window games. Our goal is still 2023. So really no point on developing chemistry with too many players who have zero chance of making the 2023 team.
    At least 7 players in the windows should be players who are locks for 2023
    Ideally Kiefer , Thirdy, Dwight, Tamayo , Baltazar, Kai and Kouame should play in all the windows if available
    Tell that to Tab who plans on expanding the pool himself. If we don’t try out other players, how do we know if there’s someone out there that is actually better internationally than our current fringe players? What if there’s someone out there who are even better than our current “shoo-ins”?

The lists doesn’t mean you have to try all of them. It is a list of players that we think the coaching staff might be interested on giving a try.

Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast