Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1212

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. V

  1. #941
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    Well games with the PBA are better compared to their own scrimmages in their bubble training. You are right about the purpose of it being useless if they stick with PBA rules though but I believe that they are not that incompetent. About the incident in the toroman gilas, it is much better to set that aside. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Gilas should be regularly tested whether it is in pocket tournaments, PBA games or both.
    only if they compete as a regular team with a chance to play for d title.

    d title does not matter, but it would make d pba teams take d game seriously. kasi kung exhibition lang e pwede nayang close-door sa gym.

    fiba rule or not, it will contribute to their development, especially for d 9 gilas pros (and even d college players in case college games are still prohibited early next year).

    d pba stint can provide opportunity for mastery of d system, building cohesion and chemistry, and competing in games with high stakes for d opponents. it will also allow gilas players to practice their defense against teams dependent on star players.

  2. #942
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    630
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    only if they compete as a regular team with a chance to play for d title.

    d title does not matter, but it would make d pba teams take d game seriously. kasi kung exhibition lang e pwede nayang close-door sa gym.

    fiba rule or not, it will contribute to their development, especially for d 9 gilas pros (and even d college players in case college games are still prohibited early next year).

    d pba stint can provide opportunity for mastery of d system, building cohesion and chemistry, and competing in games with high stakes for d opponents. it will also allow gilas players to practice their defense against teams dependent on star players.
    You have a point, I do think that if there are no pocket tournaments available then the best course of action would be to join the PBA but I do believe that pocket tournaments will be available so I am leaning more on maximizing their preparations. Maybe a close door exhibition would be better like you said, or weekly games because A full commitment to the PBA will not allow them to fly out for pocket tournaments.

  3. #943
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    What rule that PBA has that will be so problematic in adapting Fiba rules?

  4. #944
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    135
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    What rule that PBA has that will be so problematic in adapting Fiba rules?
    Aside from the 12-min quarters and number of timeouts, and timeout on the floor, what others rule differences ba?

  5. #945
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,495
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Physical play is one based of fans here rhey wanna see physical no blood no foul type plays. The pba has adjusted to that. Far cry from fiba which is the medium and the nba which favors the offensive player

  6. #946
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    135
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Physical play is one based of fans here rhey wanna see physical no blood no foul type plays. The pba has adjusted to that. Far cry from fiba which is the medium and the nba which favors the offensive player
    Nakasulat ba sa rule book ng pba yan? The pba allows highly physical plays? You're so out of touch.

  7. #947
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,614
    Country: Canada

    Default

    I mean prior to this Tab Baldwin team that actually doesn’t foul so often to the point Koreans suspected foul play. Look at history of Gilas in international games and how often the team goes into the penalty first

  8. #948
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,138
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    You have a point, I do think that if there are no pocket tournaments available then the best course of action would be to join the PBA but I do believe that pocket tournaments will be available so I am leaning more on maximizing their preparations. Maybe a close door exhibition would be better like you said, or weekly games because A full commitment to the PBA will not allow them to fly out for pocket tournaments.
    We can't expect many pocket tournaments & tune-up games vs. other National teams by mid-September or October becoz by that time, FIBA or international basketball season would be over and the pro leagues of countries all over the world would start their respective season or would be starting its preparation. Hence, almost all (if not all) the national teams all over the world would be breaking camps already by mid-September. Sino pa makaka tune up ng Gilas?

    Gilas option would be to tune up with foreign pro teams like that of NBL-Australia or Japan's B-league or Korea's KBL pro teams. Problem would be the travel restrictions.

    Kung ganoon lang sana kadali pumuntang Australia ang Gilas team to tune up with NBL teams, then why not? That would be the best option. Eh kaso yung travel restrictions nga.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  9. #949
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3,689
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    I mean prior to this Tab Baldwin team that actually doesn’t foul so often to the point Koreans suspected foul play. Look at history of Gilas in international games and how often the team goes into the penalty first
    Yeah, the leeway given is seen by the fouls committed in games.

    Even in the first FIBA Asia qualifying window, we committed a lot of reach-in fouls. And furthermore, kahit sa PBA, a number of teams get into the penalty quite early.

  10. #950
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,474
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    We can't expect many pocket tournaments & tune-up games vs. other National teams by mid-September or October becoz by that time, FIBA or international basketball season would be over and the pro leagues of countries all over the world would start their respective season or would be starting its preparation. Hence, almost all (if not all) the national teams all over the world would be breaking camps already by mid-September. Sino pa makaka tune up ng Gilas?

    Gilas option would be to tune up with foreign pro teams like that of NBL-Australia or Japan's B-league or Korea's KBL pro teams. Problem would be the travel restrictions.

    Kung ganoon lang sana kadali pumuntang Australia ang Gilas team to tune up with NBL teams, then why not? That would be the best option. Eh kaso yung travel restrictions nga.
    Only gilas can find a tune up games is against teams who will play next month in the 2nd round (KSA, India, Palestine, Taipei and Guam).. but it doesn't sure if they are worth of a tune up game because di Naman Tayo gaano makikinabang sa kanila.. another thing is we can tune up games vs African teams because tuloy parin afrobasket nila in early September.. but again, travel restrictions parin problema.. and I don't see any other pocket tournaments that African teams propose as of now..

  11. #951
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,138
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    I mean prior to this Tab Baldwin team that actually doesn’t foul so often to the point Koreans suspected foul play. Look at history of Gilas in international games and how often the team goes into the penalty first
    Yeah bro. I think that's the consesus here in IBN that whenever a local coach handles our National team, nahihirapan ang mga players natin mag adjust sa tawagan ng fouls in the FIBA game. Our team just raked up too many fouls that is why we usually gave up too many freethrows. In a close game, the disparity in freethrows between our team & the opposing team would make a big difference.

    As most people would tell us, the physicality in the PBA is different from that of the FIBA game. At iba talaga tawagan ng fouls sa FIBA kisa sa PBA.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  12. #952
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    140
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Yeah, the leeway given is seen by the fouls committed in games.

    Even in the first FIBA Asia qualifying window, we committed a lot of reach-in fouls. And furthermore, kahit sa PBA, a number of teams get into the penalty quite early.
    Yes. PBA players tend to reach in and hand check more instead of just bodying up. Body checks and hip checks are given more leeway in Fiba. I mean they still get called but are not automatic fouls as when you reach in.

  13. #953
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3,689
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rds View Post
    I'm not sure Kai is a player you feed inside. Contrary to many comments here, he had a lot of attempts in the paint. He just couldn't just finish many times against physicality even when he was head shoulders above everybody. He is better off having a dribble or two to use his skills and to have a higher chance of getting a call. A floater might also be good for him to have his shot off before defense comes in.
    Yeah, he had better chances when he's dribble-driving from the post. Siguro, if you feed him, you feed him in the high post. At this point, he's a faceup big.

    I think Kouame's a better option down low. He has a solid hook shot.

  14. #954
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    373
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    Nakasulat ba sa rule book ng pba yan? The pba allows highly physical plays? You're so out of touch.
    Welp I think all the other posters proved their point. You just have to look at recent history and Gilas-1's participation way back when, all the teams were out to get them, most esp Yeng and Arboleda. You're out of touch, just because you dislike coach Tab and discredit the recent performance of gilas, which you are free to do so, you don't need to blind yourself to reality just for your beloved league.

  15. #955
    Senior Member sroth3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    153
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Yeah bro. I think that's the consesus here in IBN that whenever a local coach handles our National team, nahihirapan ang mga players natin mag adjust sa tawagan ng fouls in the FIBA game. Our team just raked up too many fouls that is why we usually gave up too many freethrows. In a close game, the disparity in freethrows between our team & the opposing team would make a big difference.

    As most people would tell us, the physicality in the PBA is different from that of the FIBA game. At iba talaga tawagan ng fouls sa FIBA kisa sa PBA.
    More like PBA coaches. When coach Ares handled the U19 team, we didn’t get into foul trouble quickly either.

    It’s really no-brainer that PBA tactics don’t work in FIBA.

  16. #956
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,713
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    only if they compete as a regular team with a chance to play for d title.

    d title does not matter, but it would make d pba teams take d game seriously. kasi kung exhibition lang e pwede nayang close-door sa gym.

    fiba rule or not, it will contribute to their development, especially for d 9 gilas pros (and even d college players in case college games are still prohibited early next year).

    d pba stint can provide opportunity for mastery of d system, building cohesion and chemistry, and competing in games with high stakes for d opponents. it will also allow gilas players to practice their defense against teams dependent on star players.
    For me, Gilas need not compete for championship. It is good enough that it can play all ten teams one time, and the win-loss record will count into the total games played by all teams. Therefore, PBA teams will be forced to seriously play against GILAS. However, considering that we wanted this to be a development of sorts for GILAS, the import conference should have no height limit; the rules should be FIBA rules, and the calls should be strict to avoid the pba players injuring the gilas boys.

    Alam nyo naman, kapag pera pera na, filipino players really play physical, bordering on injuring someone.

    In this wise, each game of Gilas will be important. Also, to at least mimic tournament games, gilas will play the 10 teams for 20 days, and Gilas will be allowed to have a 20-man team in its roster, so that everyone will be given an opportunity to show their wares in Gilas uniform.

    I think, IMO, this is a win-win situation to all parties concerned.

  17. #957
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,495
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deku_midoriya View Post
    Nakasulat ba sa rule book ng pba yan? The pba allows highly physical plays? You're so out of touch.
    a lot sports rule books rules are subjective and a certain leeway is given just look at the comments imports have had.

  18. #958
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3,689
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Well I would have Kai, Dwight and Kouame in my topn5 picks, especially in context of how many years you can have them playing, there is a reason , why most of the NBA draft picks are 19 years old, and 4 years college players are drafted low.

    Additionally if we limited it to eligible players, absolutely Dwight and maybe even Baltazar and Tamayo would be high on my list of picks.
    Talent involves size with a skill set, e.g. 6'8 with SF perimeter skill set , or 6'5 with guard skill, that is talent
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I hope we can get more of these kinds of guys in the future. It will help so much if we get 6'6"-6'8" kids to be able to play in the perimeter, whether as a 3 or as a 4.

    As for the 6'5" guy, even if he plays the 3-spot, that will be a significant upgrade over the 6'1"-6'3" SFs that we have here. As one poster mentioned, the SF position is basically nonexistent in Philippine basketball.

    If we can train 6'5"-6'8" players to play the perimeter, that will be a big boost to the forward position. One problem is giving them the environment to play such position, as in, the center spot is reserved for a 6'9"+ player. Baltazar and Tamayo could play the 3 due to the presence of Kouame, Go, Chiu, and later Kai. Another is, utilizing that environment. May big foreign center ka na, backup pa rin ang 6'6"-6'8" big mo. So much for 'height is might.' We can only apply it to the 5, not the 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    This!!!

    Without Kai, Kouame, and Geo Presence, Balatazar and Tamayo will bw forced to man the pain at Center.

    Unless Magsmall Ball/Minion Ball. Which I am not really much of a fan of.

    NCAA did it backwards when they banned imports.

    Uaap atleast have imports and some Big Filams. The reason Quiambao can/will play the 3 with DLSU is because they are loaded with Bigs Bigger than Quiambao

    Personnel Matters also.

    I can underatand if your local player is as tall (maybe 6'10 above, but not generational like Kai) as your Import.

    But if your tallest local player is 6-5-6'8 with Mobility, he should play WITH the Big import.
    Hopefully Gilas keeps finding and recruiting more 6'6"-6'8" players to the pool so that they can be trained to play the 4, or if you have the mobility of Tamayo and Baltazar, even a 3. Nandiyan naman sina Kouame, and also Chiu, so the 5 spot is taken.

    And a 4 can still post up. Sabonis, Randle, Thad Young, and recently Giannis, are PFs who go to the post.

    Quiambao and Cortez could have been useful sana for this experiment, kaso, availability is a concern kapag Lasalista.

  19. #959
    Senior Member DAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,363
    Country: Fiji

    Default

    While NZ Karate athlete is full pinoy, at some point while their roots are something to be proud of, we no longer have competition on the basis of ethnicity but purely citizenship.
    https://www.spin.ph/multisport/olymp...210726-fbfirst

  20. #960
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3,689
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    A breakdown of Thirdy & Dave Ildefonso's game vs. Saudi Arabia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFJz0jo4AQ

    The youtuber pointed out Dave Ildefonso's impressive passing game. I think Dave's passing & decision making is improving. I also think that he is also slowly departing from the heavy-ball mentality or instinct that he has developed in high school basketball & college ball at NU (prior to his transfer in Ateneo). Good to see his improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Oh , that's really promising,, so from the U19 world team, Kai, Tamayo and Dave, have shown they can be 2023 propsects, si Dalph and AJ na lang... And we're good !
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Actually I didn't realize that. I mean, Kai, Dave I, Edu, Tamayo & Panopio being teammates in Batang Gilas U-19 team in the 2019 FIBA World U-19 Championship. That's 2 years already pero parang kailan lang. How time flies.

    BTW, good to see that months of extensive training in "Calam-bubble" has tamed Dave Ildefonso's heavy-ball & volume shooter instincts. I think the key here is getting Dave to the Gilas cadet program as early as possible. I mean, its better that the flaws or shortcomings of his game were corrected or addressed at a younger age. Mas mahirap sigurong e correct or e retool ang game ni Dave Ildefonso if he's already 25 yrs. old.
    Hope they stay even after 2023. Our ability to keep this group together is vital. Otherwise, reset na naman tayo sa seniors. We'll have to promote another batch of cadets again.

Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •